Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The more I see, the more obvious it is to me that the GOP just wants to destroy the government. I have to think that it's related to the demographic shift. Since people who don't look, pray, or gently caress like them are going to possibly get control of the state, why should those people get a functioning superpower when the shift happens?

And of course the rural hill filth that votes for these people looks on anything that starts to resemble a modern state with a mixture of jealousy and fear. So they'll cheer when Rome burns, even though it will come back to screw them over as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rkajdi posted:

The more I see, the more obvious it is to me that the GOP just wants to destroy the government. I have to think that it's related to the demographic shift. Since people who don't look, pray, or gently caress like them are going to possibly get control of the state, why should those people get a functioning superpower when the shift happens?

And of course the rural hill filth that votes for these people looks on anything that starts to resemble a modern state with a mixture of jealousy and fear. So they'll cheer when Rome burns, even though it will come back to screw them over as well.

I think it's simpler than that. The only legitimate government is one that they control 100%. Anything else is illegitimate and must be destroyed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still sort of assumes that the Republicans in the House can come to agree on any spending bill to the point of getting 218 votes amongst only themselves.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

rkajdi posted:

"rural hill filth"? Seriously?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

rkajdi posted:

The more I see, the more obvious it is to me that the GOP just wants to destroy the government. I have to think that it's related to the demographic shift.

This has literally been their stated goal for years. Don't forget noted rear end in a top hatconservative luminary Grover Norquist's famous quip: "I'm not in favor of abolishing the government. I just want to shrink it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rkajdi posted:

The GOP is doing exactly what hard leftists would do if they controlled a significant part of the federal government. It's a partisan thing, nothing more.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seems like blowing up the government when you control the House and Senate is a bad idea. Republicans will buy into it being Obama's fault but I would think everyone that's even remotely neutral would see that for what it is. Of course their base wants them to burn DC to the ground then salt the earth so maybe it will all work out for them.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pope Guilty posted:

"rural hill filth"? Seriously?

What other description fits for the anti-modernity rural people who are actively trying to destroy the government? I understand that the politicians at the top of the party are anything but this. However, non-urban racist whites is the voting base of the GOP now, and should be treated as such. Doubly so when they are trying to actively destroy the country because "the help" can now start to outvote them.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

rkajdi posted:

I've met a lot of rural people who are more "gently caress the rich" than big city liberals. I grew up in a town of them, in fact.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Mr. Turtle posted:

force the president to “move to the center” if he wants to get any new legislation through Congress.

Hey, it'll be nice getting Obama to push some more leftist ideas. Thanks Mitch! :downs:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rkajdi posted:

What other description fits for the anti-modernity rural people who are actively trying to destroy the government? I understand that the politicians at the top of the party are anything but this. However, non-urban racist whites is the voting base of the GOP now, and should be treated as such. Doubly so when they are trying to actively destroy the country because "the help" can now start to outvote them.

Do you literally think Beverly hills is full of hillbillies?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

rkajdi posted:

this is a really bad post and you should feel bad for having made it.

Seriously, is your entire perception of "those loving rurals" based upon old television shows or something?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

Of course their base wants them to burn DC to the ground then salt the earth so maybe it will all work out for them.

Problem I'm seeing is that it's a move from this figuratively to this literally. The right-wing of the GOP is starting to seem more and more like a reactionary, English-speaking Khmer Rouge.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Say what you will about the overall racial politics of rural people, but many of them that I've met are further left than average on economic issues when you don't talk explicitly about race. Like, they're not all drooling retards that hate big gubmint, they just tend to be ignorant about outside cultures given that they grew up in areas mostly devoid of them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

420DD Butts posted:

Say what you will about the overall racial politics of rural people, but many of them that I've met are further left than average on economic issues when you don't talk explicitly about race. Like, they're not all drooling retards that hate big gubmint, they just tend to be ignorant about outside cultures given that they grew up in areas mostly devoid of them.

It's a dumb argument anyway because the real issue is with suburban dwellers (why do you think Tea Partiers are richer and more educated than average?).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Most of the time they're really nice people in person, they just have completely bizarre and angry political views. I know many of them personally. They'll give you the shirt off their backs, invite you over for dinner, be gregarious and then a picture of Obama will flash by on the screen and it's like someone with PTSD hearing a car backfire.

Anyway, there is a minority who are just spiteful and mean 100% of the time and, as with insanely angry liberals, they spend a disproportionate amount of time working on politics, but most people are just consuming politics and forming opinions the same way they consume automobiles and sports and suchlike.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

computer parts posted:

It's a dumb argument anyway because the real issue is with suburban dwellers (why do you think Tea Partiers are richer and more educated than average?).

This is true, the most virulently racist and conservative people I've met have all been from the suburbs.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420DD Butts posted:

I've met a lot of rural people who are more "gently caress the rich" than big city liberals. I grew up in a town of them, in fact.

I grew up in rural America too. Guess what? The "gently caress the rich" types are also the "gently caress the educated, gays, Muslims, blacks, ect." types and they vote for the Republican candidate.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

G1mby posted:

Turns out that the picture at least is a fake - or rather, lifted from a medschool website: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art..._the_Eye_Socket

THere's a website I haven't thought of in a while. I expected LGF to be freep-lite based on what it was like during the Iraq war, but it was surprisingly... well... not.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ron Jeremy posted:

THere's a website I haven't thought of in a while. I expected LGF to be freep-lite based on what it was like during the Iraq war, but it was surprisingly... well... not.

When Obama became a thing and birtherism got big, the LGF guy looked at all the other right-wing bloggers, went "You're all a bunch of racist shitheads", and moved centerward a bit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

420DD Butts posted:

This is true, the most virulently racist and conservative people I've met have all been from the suburbs.
Visit rural Louisana or East Texas, to pick a couple offhand. I know what you're talking about, but if this is true then you haven't seen the real blue collar version. They don't wait for the car door to close or look around both ways before talking about the niggers loudly. Want directions? Take a left at Niggertown. When you see the old friend of the family sitting on the tree stump, you almost dere. Dat boy sheriff Papillon, he a high yella niggah, you ain't gon have no problem wid him. Mmhmm.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420DD Butts posted:

That just means they are a slightly different strain of FYGM refuse. They want a social safety net for themselves, but not for the black guy in the city. Sorry if I don't act kindly to the barbarians as they sack Rome.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yes. YES. Do it, Mitch. Publicly remind people what a disaster the debt ceiling was. Prime the pump for 2016. :unsmigghh:

I'm 90% certain though this is just to lock down/bump support in Kentucky to beat Grimes. What are they going to do, shut down even harder than they've ever shut down before? It's not like there's anything left for them to do.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ron Jeremy posted:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/35243_Why_I_Parted_Ways_With_The_Right

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReindeerF posted:

Most of the time they're really nice people in person, they just have completely bizarre and angry political views. I know many of them personally. They'll give you the shirt off their backs, invite you over for dinner, be gregarious and then a picture of Obama will flash by on the screen and it's like someone with PTSD hearing a car backfire.

They're kind to you if you are like them, or appear to be so. If they figure out you're not a zero on the Kinsey scale or don't go to Church/the right kind of Church, things change dramatically. If you're only willing to help out the people who look, gently caress, and pray like you, you're not a good person.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chokes McGee posted:

Yes. YES. Do it, Mitch. Publicly remind people what a disaster the debt ceiling was. Prime the pump for 2016. :unsmigghh:

I'm 90% certain though this is just to lock down/bump support in Kentucky to beat Grimes. What are they going to do, shut down even harder than they've ever shut down before? It's not like there's anything left for them to do.

Screw with the Debt Ceiling and destroy the world economy?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

rkajdi posted:

Screw with the Debt Ceiling and destroy the world economy?

Ron Paul 2015

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Visit rural Louisana or East Texas, to pick a couple offhand. I know what you're talking about, but if this is true then you haven't seen the real blue collar version. They don't wait for the car door to close or look around both ways before talking about the niggers loudly. Want directions? Take a left at Niggertown. When you see the old friend of the family sitting on the tree stump, you almost dere. Dat boy sheriff Papillon, he a high yella niggah, you ain't gon have no problem wid him. Mmhmm.

These people assuredly exist, but their sheer numbers make them pretty irrelevant, since only about 15% of the US' population is rural. The GOP's true base is white (sub)urbanite church goers.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

rkajdi posted:

That just means they are a slightly different strain of FYGM refuse. They want a social safety net for themselves, but not for the black guy in the city. Sorry if I don't act kindly to the barbarians as they sack Rome.

The barbarians as they sack Rome?

drat, some folks who like to think of government spending as being too high and wanting to curb the debt and reduce taxes and bring regulations and control to the state and local levels... they want to sack Rome?

Your rhetoric breeds their rhetoric and vice versa.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

rkajdi posted:

They're kind to you if you are like them, or appear to be so. If they figure out you're not a zero on the Kinsey scale or don't go to Church/the right kind of Church, things change dramatically. If you're only willing to help out the people who look, gently caress, and pray like you, you're not a good person.
I lived it, it's not that simple. The thing that really gets you after a while isn't that every single person treats you poorly, it's the suffocating atmosphere of having to keep mum to avoid constant discussions about the endless disagreements. It's not a white/minority thing exactly either. The two most vocal right wingers on my Facebook friend list from home are of Mexican descent and grew up in poor, hard-working trailer families and have made it pretty well in life and have FYGM disease. Nary a Goddamn Fox News controversy goes by that I don't see it shared on their timelines.

Anyway, personal and public morality tend to be fairly shchizo. I'm glad to live in a world where there's not a constant pressure to be particularly anything, but it's not like every single person becomes nasty and awful just because they know you're an atheist who disagrees with their politics and so on. It just makes life more difficult avoiding hot buttons. That's not inherently poor and conservative, of course. The inverse does exist, it's just less prevalent these days.

Family Values posted:

These people assuredly exist, but their sheer numbers make them pretty irrelevant, since only about 15% of the US' population is rural. The GOP's true base is white (sub)urbanite church goers.
There was no statistical relevance aspect to the post I was replying to.
It was about degree, not percentage.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

I grew up in rural America too. Guess what? The "gently caress the rich" types are also the "gently caress the educated, gays, Muslims, blacks, ect." types and they vote for the Republican candidate.

Western Iowa is all rural and gave us King. And has ensured that branstad has continued to poo poo up this state as governor. They are very nice people, but are conservative as gently caress and are all willing to buy the fox news lines that it is the democrats who hate the poor and the GOP really has their best interests at heart, really!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah you're probably right that the rural south is an entirely different beast. I grew up in the rural Midwest.

rkajdi posted:

Having known these people for a lot of my life, a lot of their ignorance comes from a lack of exposure to other cultures or people. Much of this can be fixed by education and getting them out of their small towns. The strain of ignorance that projects from suburban types tends to be less easily fixed.

I'd rather not just say "well gently caress them then" because a lot of these people are sympathetic to populist and leftist ideas, they just need help getting past the ignorance that comes from cultural isolation.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 20, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amergin posted:

The barbarians as they sack Rome?

drat, some folks who like to think of government spending as being too high and wanting to curb the debt and reduce taxes and bring regulations and control to the state and local levels... they want to sack Rome?

Your rhetoric breeds their rhetoric and vice versa.

I know you're an idiot troll, but I'm responding for everyone else. Yes, people who are willing to screw with the debt ceiling are barbarians sacking Rome. Defaulting on the debt would destroy the world economy. This cannot be understated. However bad the Great Depression was, this would be worse. And not just for Americans, but for everyone involved in the world economy (i.e. everyone on the planet)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Not necessarily. I have a group of friends who I share sports, food, and videogames with. They and their parents are frothing-at-the-mouth Tea Partiers because GUNS.

I know they see my Obama stickers on my car, and I don't think they care--because they're good people as long as you keep the topic off politics.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420DD Butts posted:

I'd rather not just say "well gently caress them then" because a lot of these people are sympathetic to populist and leftist ideas, they just need help getting past the ignorance that comes from cultural isolation.

Populism might get economic justice for whites, but it'll be at the cost of every other kind of minority in existence. It's a dangerous and honestly evil route that has lead to piles of regression in the US on every cultural issue possible.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

rkajdi posted:

I know you're an idiot troll, but I'm responding for everyone else. Yes, people who are willing to screw with the debt ceiling are barbarians sacking Rome. Defaulting on the debt would destroy the world economy. This cannot be understated. However bad the Great Depression was, this would be worse. And not just for Americans, but for everyone involved in the world economy (i.e. everyone on the planet)

Then how about we reduce our debt and cut our spending rather than continue raising the debt ceiling, making debt sound like some irrelevant economic statistic?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/557700/masterpiece-theatre-foxs-griff-jenkins-his-black-friend-re-enact-ferguson-cigarillo-caper

So apparently foxnews has decided that sending their delicate personnel to Ferguson is far too dangerous. Instead, they're brining Ferguson to you!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

Then how about we reduce our debt and cut our spending rather than continue raising the debt ceiling, making debt sound like some irrelevant economic statistic?

because debt is useful and good, only little pantywaist nerds worry about national debt like the bank is going to come powerbomb them

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

because debt is useful and good, only little pantywaist nerds worry about national debt like the bank is going to come powerbomb them

Debt is useful and good so more is better?

I'm not the one freaking out over defaulting on our debt here. If debt is so useful and good how can it possibly be the source of a possible world economic collapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Amergin posted:

Hey remember when we were paying out debt down too fast and how that was a horrible thing? And remember how we should cut taxes on the upper brackets for that reason? And remember when debt was out of control so we should cut taxes on the upper brackets for THAT reason? Is there any problem for which cutting taxes on the upper bracket isn't the solution?

• Locked thread