Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
not gonna lie. i'm a little sad this won't have the same activity as when he was releasing the series of videos. even the gbs thread was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, I saw the Word Crimes video and it's loving GREAT.

"It's", as in "it is", not "its" which is a different thing :v:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Masonic Youth posted:

I'd rather see him do something like host Saturday Night Live this season. Host + musical guest would be even more amazing.

I'm kind of surprised he's never been on the show in any capacity.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Naet posted:

I'm kind of surprised he's never been on the show in any capacity.

What the gently caress would he do? He doesn't really fit what SNL does. Maybe he does, who knows. I think Phil Hartman was in the cast the last time I watched SNL.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What the gently caress would he do? He doesn't really fit what SNL does. Maybe he does, who knows. I think Phil Hartman was in the cast the last time I watched SNL.

...host? That's a strange question. SNL hosts vary considerably; what makes Weird Al different?

Dude does sketches, characters, bits, songs, etc. His humor might not be the same, but that hasn't stopped most hosts from appearing and performing well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Naet posted:

...host? That's a strange question. SNL hosts vary considerably; what makes Weird Al different?

Dude does sketches, characters, bits, songs, etc. His humor might not be the same, but that hasn't stopped most hosts from appearing and performing well.

I love UHF but it's sorta one note, know what I mean?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I love UHF but it's sorta one note, know what I mean?

He's wouldn't be writing the loving thing, you know. Do you think if like...Colin Farrell is on SNL they let him write the sketches or something? Sure, they would probably write FOR him, but I don't see how Weird Al would be any different than literally any other person they have ever had host in the entire history of SNL, except for maybe the fact that he could host AND be the musical guest at the same time (which would be rad).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

He's wouldn't be writing the loving thing, you know. Do you think if like...Colin Farrell is on SNL they let him write the sketches or something? Sure, they would probably write FOR him, but I don't see how Weird Al would be any different than literally any other person they have ever had host in the entire history of SNL, except for maybe the fact that he could host AND be the musical guest at the same time (which would be rad).

Sorry TheJoker138.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I think Weird Al would loving steal the show if they let him on

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It is kinda strange. Weird Al seems like he'd be a great 'clutch' guest, he's clean, he's funny, and he's hardworking.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

And willing to embarrass himself, willing to do impersonations, etc.

Unless he's turned them down before. Maybe SNL is too dirty for him?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Lorne's whole persona is wrapped up in SNL being hip. Even though the show's sucked for arguably 35 years and less arguably 20 years, Weird Al still doesn't fit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Lorne's whole persona is wrapped up in SNL being hip. Even though the show's sucked for arguably 35 years and less arguably 20 years, Weird Al still doesn't fit.

First man to get a #1 comedy album in literally decades not hip enough to be on SNL. Got it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

TheJoker138 posted:

He's wouldn't be writing the loving thing, you know.

Well, the host does get significant input into the sketches they'll be appearing in, just so they don't go live and the host just says "gently caress this, I ain't doing it." and storms off in a huff.

Which albeit would be loving amazing television, but you get my point.

edit: You know what, if the goddamned internet can get Betty White to host, I'm sure we could get Weird Al.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

First man to get a #1 comedy album in literally decades not hip enough to be on SNL. Got it.

Do you know how few albums he had to sell to get #1?

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

Do you understand how TV works?

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

BigFactory posted:

Double the number of albums the previous week's #1 sold.

So, actually quite a lot?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Double the number of albums the previous week's #1 sold.

So, actually quite a lot?

What was that, the 70th week frozen was #1, or Now That's What I Call Music vol. 500?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

gargamale posted:

Do you understand how TV works?

Do you think weird al is going to do the Super Bowl halftime show, too? How does tv work? The new season of SNL tapes in mid October. Is weird al still going to be riding this huge wave of popularity in 3 months? Or is there going to be an nbc universal property coming out that they want to promote?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm sure there'll be another single during the next season of SNL. He can promote that, and then sing Word Crimes or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, the host does get significant input into the sketches they'll be appearing in, just so they don't go live and the host just says "gently caress this, I ain't doing it." and storms off in a huff.

Which albeit would be loving amazing television, but you get my point.

edit: You know what, if the goddamned internet can get Betty White to host, I'm sure we could get Weird Al.

I say like two sentences later that they write for the hosts in that very post, dude. So...yes, I knew that already.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Let's not forget that Weird Al isn't all sunshine and roses and clowns and lollipops. His comedy can take a delightfully dark tone, which some would say is subdued by the cheerful tone of his songs... but I say, the cheerful tone during the darker stuff actually accentuates it.

This guy used the following line in a song, and it's as happy-sounding as can be:

"It's tradition; that makes it OK!"

Even totally out of context, you don't have to think too hard to see how truly dark that is, and the slick part is this: if you're not listening, he'll get it past your radar. This dark humor, heard more blatantly in "Happy Birthday" and "Christmas at Ground Zero," at the very least, shows that he's good for more than just simple parody.

And even if that weren't true, let's not forget that some of the best moments in SNL are direct parody.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

What was that, the 70th week frozen was #1, or Now That's What I Call Music vol. 500?

No, I believe it was Sia (or some poo poo?). It was the first week on the top for her, and she sold like 50-55k. Weird Al sold 105k-ish.

I'm not going to look it up, but I imagine in this day and age, unless you're a super-hot star, selling over 100k in the first week is significant.

Edit: And for fucks sake, this is after him being in the business for over 30 years. That just really doesn't happen anymore.

Unless you're Tom Petty, I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rand Ecliptic posted:

No, I believe it was Sia (or some poo poo?). It was the first week on the top for her, and she sold like 50-55k. Weird Al sold 105k-ish.

I'm not going to look it up, but I imagine in this day and age, unless you're a super-hot star, selling over 100k in the first week is significant.

Edit: And for fucks sake, this is after him being in the business for over 30 years. That just really doesn't happen anymore.

Unless you're Tom Petty, I guess.

If you're going to capitalize on a #1 record in an era when nobody buys records, you better do it right away, not 3 months later. I'm talking about SNL here, not Weird Al. Al's getting a pretty good run out of it, but come October 15th nobody is going to remember the video they saw in their facebook feed, and there are going to be holiday blockbuster movies and new fall-lineup NBC shows that need promoting.

It's still way more likely than thinking he's going to do the superbowl half time show. That's insane.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

If you're going to capitalize on a #1 record in an era when nobody buys records, you better do it right away, not 3 months later. I'm talking about SNL here, not Weird Al. Al's getting a pretty good run out of it, but come October 15th nobody is going to remember the video they saw in their facebook feed, and there are going to be holiday blockbuster movies and new fall-lineup NBC shows that need promoting.

It's still way more likely than thinking he's going to do the superbowl half time show. That's insane.

I really don't disagree with anything you said. You're pretty much right on the money with this.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

tarlibone posted:

Let's not forget that Weird Al isn't all sunshine and roses and clowns and lollipops. His comedy can take a delightfully dark tone, which some would say is subdued by the cheerful tone of his songs... but I say, the cheerful tone during the darker stuff actually accentuates it.

This guy used the following line in a song, and it's as happy-sounding as can be:

"It's tradition; that makes it OK!"

Even totally out of context, you don't have to think too hard to see how truly dark that is, and the slick part is this: if you're not listening, he'll get it past your radar. This dark humor, heard more blatantly in "Happy Birthday" and "Christmas at Ground Zero," at the very least, shows that he's good for more than just simple parody.

And even if that weren't true, let's not forget that some of the best moments in SNL are direct parody.

Skipper Dan. That is all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Skipper Dan is extra sad if you consider the possibility that Al's talking about himself.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Skipper Dan is extra sad if you consider the possibility that Al's talking about himself.

Not really that sad. I think Al, with his homes in Hollywood Hills and Hawaii (and legions of adoring fans), is doing a bit better for himself than the average amusement park actor.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Melanie, a song about obsessing and stalking a girl before killing yourself to show her you love her.

Or I Remember Larry, where he brutally kills Larry.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Good Old Days, where he tortures small animals, burns down a grocery store, beats up a kindly old man, and murders his prom date.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Not really that sad. I think Al, with his homes in Hollywood Hills and Hawaii (and legions of adoring fans), is doing a bit better for himself than the average amusement park actor.

Makes one kind of wonder what it'd be like to be the guy that song was about, though.

"Holy crap, Weird Al made a song about me! ...Oh." :smithicide:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Cemetry Gator posted:

Melanie, a song about obsessing and stalking a girl before killing yourself to show her you love her.

Or I Remember Larry, where he brutally kills Larry.

If we're going to lower our "sad" standards this far, "You Don't Love Me Anymore" is a domestic abuse ballad.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Masonic Youth posted:

Good Old Days, where he tortures small animals, burns down a grocery store, beats up a kindly old man, and murders his prom date.
Hey, we never knew if she ever made it home.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So the final 3 for the half-time show are Katy Perry, Rihanna....and Coldplay.

Coldplay.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nah in an interview he said he was inspired by a skipper on the Jungle Cruise ride breaking character and talking about his failed acting career.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Coldplay.

Not only that, but the NFL is now asking them to pay to have the privilege to play at half time. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-180802404.html

Like any of those musicians need the exposure enough to pay for a gig.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Coldplay.

Sounds about right.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Coldplay.
Once again my dreams of a Faith No More half time show are ruined, I mean gently caress they had the Red Hot Chili Pepper last Superbowl this is bullshit! :argh:

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
just rewrite in your mind that he performed bedrock anthem last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

achillesforever6 posted:

Once again my dreams of a Faith No More half time show are ruined, I mean gently caress they had the Red Hot Chili Pepper last Superbowl this is bullshit! :argh:
Anthony Kedis slipped a note to officials that said "No Mike Patton."

Motherfucker holds a grudge.

• Locked thread