Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: eh nm.

lol the first wave is already gay. Is it the curriculum or is it because Moochelle is forcing our kids to eat gay vegetables?

Darn that ketchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thank Christ that Mike Brown's family got a private autopsy performed. This thing stinks to high loving heaven.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Whatever do you mean?

I'll be damned if that ain't the most perfect Drudge headline ever. Could use it for so many sitautions.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Is this a MMT writting? Does it show if their ideas are any good?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I wouldn't mind an Amergin fun zone for when I feel like taking the bait.

New LF?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

In fact, they say that they know it's parody, but put it up anyways. I hate the goddamn Tea Party.

Back when Colbert coined "truthiness" I didn't think it would be such a useful word.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

rkajdi posted:

That's not the dichotomy I was given. Populism (at least as formulated in the US) is a backwards, socially conservative movement that actively screws with women, LGBT people, as well as racial and religious minorities. I'm not going to throw all those people under the bus so poor whites can get ahead, again. I'm all for New Deal style programs, but ones that actively help out minorities and directly destroy the racist underpinnings in society.

Sorry, I'm not going to support some serpent handler trash so that they can turn around and stone me because I don't pray and gently caress the way their boring half-educated asses prefer. And American Populism has always been full of that kind of idiocy. Williams Jennings Bryan was a proto-drug warrior and pre-modern creationist idiot. At least the Vulture Capitalist scumbag has a real education and doesn't believe in pre-modern, counter-factual garbage. I don't care how much social safety net I get for it, I'm not going to help some knuckledragger oppress everyone again.

Luckily enough, that's not the choice we have. I can vote for a real leftist who's actually willing to keep minorities safe while also practicing some economic justice. But I'm someone who voted Nader and is still drat proud of it.

This is a ridiculous oversimplification of populism based on the history of 1930s and 40s Democratic party policy. It is also ridiculous because I was suggesting that instead of demonizing rural people and pretending that liberal urbanites are the only people that matter, we could reach out and educate them to break them out of their cultural bubble. The rural poor are much more sympathetic to actual leftist causes than a bunch of centrist urban liberals who speak out of one side of their mouth about "equality" and then support poo poo like being Tough on Crime(tm) or, until recently, the War on Drugs. Sometimes it's better to engage in actual outreach than decide you hate someone and never attempt to sway their opinions. Waiting for a bunch of wealthy urban whites to come to our rescue is hardly preferable to actually working at educating voters in the long-term.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's not really an oversimplification of populism, as populism simply refers to whatever you can get a mass movement from out of regular people. Thus it's different in every combination of time period and location.

Populism in the 30s was hella racist because the majority of people were hella racist.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not really an oversimplification of populism, as populism simply refers to whatever you can get a mass movement from out of regular people.

How is "populism is inherently regressive due to the 30s" not a gross oversimplification of

quote:

Thus it's different in every combination of time period and location.

that? Populism is not inherently any political or social ideology, and I don't see how claiming that all possible populist movements are going to turn into white people patting themselves on the back is not an oversimplification.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

420DD Butts posted:

How is "populism is inherently regressive due to the 30s" not a gross oversimplification of

that? Populism is not inherently any political or social ideology, and I don't see how claiming that all possible populist movements are going to turn into white people patting themselves on the back is not an oversimplification.

I'd say we're still too majority white and racist at the current time for a populist movement to not be pretty racist.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
It's possible and that's a legit concern, but it doesn't mean the entire concept of leftist populism is doomed to fail in America. The country was nearly 90% white in the 30s and should be about 60% non-hispanic white in 2020. Using the 30s as a reference point seems a bit flawed, I'd think.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

This tweet is true. There is no mention of Ferguson on the NRA's twitter feed. However, while the NRA is the most vocal and well funded gun rights organization, it is not the only one, and not all of the others are silent. There is a gun club in north Texas doing open carry marches through Dallas to protest police violence in solidarity with Ferguson and promoting the right to open carry. The twist?

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26328877/gun-club-patrols-south-dallas-streets

Get In.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A while back I was reading something from 1980 or so, where the author lamented how many poor and middle class whites who could be easy allies of the left had been turned into solid conservative voters simply because it was conservatives who were at least pretending something other than naked contempt for those rural hicks in the flyover states. It's not changed so much.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

This tweet is true. There is no mention of Ferguson on the NRA's twitter feed. However, while the NRA is the most vocal and well funded gun rights organization, it is not the only one, and not all of the others are silent. There is a gun club in north Texas doing open carry marches through Dallas to protest police violence in solidarity with Ferguson and promoting the right to open carry. The twist?

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26328877/gun-club-patrols-south-dallas-streets

Get In.
Amazing.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

James The 1st posted:

Is this a MMT writting? Does it show if their ideas are any good?

You get the full text in PDF. It's a quick read. Take your time. Let me know if you have questions.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

One of the first comments is calling them thugs. Haha people are complaining about the Huey Newton name.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420DD Butts posted:

This is a ridiculous oversimplification of populism based on the history of 1930s and 40s Democratic party policy. It is also ridiculous because I was suggesting that instead of demonizing rural people and pretending that liberal urbanites are the only people that matter, we could reach out and educate them to break them out of their cultural bubble. The rural poor are much more sympathetic to actual leftist causes than a bunch of centrist urban liberals who speak out of one side of their mouth about "equality" and then support poo poo like being Tough on Crime(tm) or, until recently, the War on Drugs. Sometimes it's better to engage in actual outreach than decide you hate someone and never attempt to sway their opinions. Waiting for a bunch of wealthy urban whites to come to our rescue is hardly preferable to actually working at educating voters in the long-term.

We could with the first wave of American Populism too. Anyone up for unconstitutional Native America ethnic cleansing or yet another economic collapse as the men put in charge did not understand how the system worked. American Populism has had horrible effects on having a working government in every instance of it, not to mention the backwards movements for all the people who aren't "Real Americans". Hell, the Tea Party is latest great populist revival, and they are a drat inch from wrecking the world economy. How many more instances would you need before you realise the idea is bankrupt? The leftism these Populism support is FYGM leftism. It's like saying that the Nazis were left because they supported a social safety net for Aryans, but not for anyone else. Anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-modernity, anti-PoC "leftism" isn't actual leftism.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

rkajdi posted:

We could with the first wave of American Populism too. Anyone up for unconstitutional Native America ethnic cleansing or yet another economic collapse as the men put in charge did not understand how the system worked. American Populism has had horrible effects on having a working government in every instance of it, not to mention the backwards movements for all the people who aren't "Real Americans". Hell, the Tea Party is latest great populist revival, and they are a drat inch from wrecking the world economy. How many more instances would you need before you realise the idea is bankrupt? The leftism these Populism support is FYGM leftism. It's like saying that the Nazis were left because they supported a social safety net for Aryans, but not for anyone else. Anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-modernity, anti-PoC "leftism" isn't actual leftism.

Except suburban people are more racist and they have poo poo economic opinions so singling out rural people reminds me of that thing liberals do where they act like all the racism is in rural areas and certainly not also in the Democratic party (and it's not a minority of whites in the Democratic party either).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

Not necessarily. I have a group of friends who I share sports, food, and videogames with. They and their parents are frothing-at-the-mouth Tea Partiers because GUNS.

I know they see my Obama stickers on my car, and I don't think they care--because they're good people as long as you keep the topic off politics.

Oh, in that case let me just invite Pol Pot over for dinner. It's fine as long as we don't talk politics :downs:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The comments on that page are half "Nice to seem them exercising their second amendment rights!" and the other half "Those are black panther colors! That gang activity!"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 21, 2014

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

SirKibbles posted:

One of the first comments is calling them thugs. Haha people are complaining about the Huey Newton name.

White_People.jpg

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

iamnotcreative posted:

White_People.jpg

And yet don't you dare complain about the ol' stars and bars in any way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

effectual posted:

Oh, in that case let me just invite Pol Pot over for dinner. It's fine as long as we don't talk politics :downs:

lol yeah im sure his friends are comparable to pol pot

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like i'm glad you didn't go straight to hitler like the internet usually does but come on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pol Pot's only #6 in the Internet strawman comparison power rankings so he's showing a lot of constraint.

rogerebert.com of all places has a story about white privilege.

quote:

Over the weekend, my ten-year-old son and I had just finished eating supper at a diner near our house. The multiple TVs in the diner were all showing cable news coverage of the Ferguson situation. On the way out, we passed an African American mother talking to her son, a child around my boy's age, seated in a booth near the front door.

The boy asked his mother, "So I should just put my hands in the air?"

"Yes," his mother said. "Just put your hands in the air."

"If I put my hands in the air, will the police not shoot?" he asked.

"Probably not, but you can't be sure. Some people say you should just kneel or lie down, don't ask questions, just get down on the ground."

"If I lie down on the ground, they won't shoot?"

"Probably," she said.

It's really depressing that middle class white kids grow up getting told that they can be anything they want to be and live for a number of years in innocence where their parents can shield them from the lovely world around us but black parents have to have these horribly depressing conversations with their children because they have to know how to act very carefully because the police just might shoot them to death.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

"If I lie down on the ground, they won't shoot?"

"Probably," she said.

:smith:

This reminds me, as a relatively-privileged white male, that when my son is old enough I need to have a different kind of talk with him, so that maybe the world his generation inhabits will be slightly less lovely. At least I have to force myself to believe that's possible, despite what I know to be true.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Pol Pot's only #6 in the Internet strawman comparison power rankings so he's showing a lot of constraint.

rogerebert.com of all places has a story about white privilege.

It's really depressing that middle class white kids grow up getting told that they can be anything they want to be and live for a number of years in innocence where their parents can shield them from the lovely world around us but black parents have to have these horribly depressing conversations with their children because they have to know how to act very carefully because the police just might shoot them to death.
Roger Ebert was pretty outspoken about civil rights, so I don't know whether it's an unusual venue for it. Here he is writing as at 20-21: https://anewmerckreviewed.wordpress...n-july-14-2014/.

And Ebert was definitely not unpolitical, if you read his blog or Twitter account. He wrote some excellent blog posts about politics well worth checking out.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ufarn posted:

Roger Ebert was pretty outspoken about civil rights

Which would make sense as his wife is black

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

That's not true. There is a pretty large difference between the two; in fact, it's as clear as black and white.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

amanasleep posted:

You get the full text in PDF. It's a quick read. Take your time. Let me know if you have questions.
It's a fascinating read. One thing I wonder is that if what he says about government not needing taxes to spend is true, why does everyone get it so wrong?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

rkajdi posted:

I hate to break it to you, but the Tea Party wasn't a populist movement. It was astroturfed by wealthy interests pretty much from day one.

But really, I don't know where to take this conversation with you. You seem to have your mind made up entirely about what populism is and isn't and what populist leftists are and aren't. It seems kind of useless to continue talking about this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Few populist movements are characterized by a truly populist nature – most are typified by elites employing populist rhetoric.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

Then how about we reduce our debt and cut our spending rather than continue raising the debt ceiling, making debt sound like some irrelevant economic statistic?

Amergin posted:

drat, some folks who like to think of government spending as being too high and wanting to curb the debt and reduce taxes and bring regulations and control to the state and local levels... they want to sack Rome?

Jeez man, put some effort into it.

"The debt is so horrible it's worth shutting down the government. We have to reduce the deficit as fast as possible to pay it down, oh yeah and let's cut revenue some more :downs:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Jeez man, put some effort into it.

"The debt is so horrible it's worth shutting down the government. We have to reduce the deficit as fast as possible to pay it down, oh yeah and let's cut revenue some more :downs:"

I dunno why you think that's an unrealistic troll because that's literally the legislative platform of the GOP.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

I dunno why you think that's an unrealistic troll because that's literally the legislative platform of the GOP.

The GOP platform: A bad troll.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

James The 1st posted:

It's a fascinating read. One thing I wonder is that if what he says about government not needing taxes to spend is true, why does everyone get it so wrong?
The idea of the government as a big household is very intuitively appealing. Also, a lot of people have made political careers out of convincing everyone that it's true.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Birtherism is also believed by some GOP legislators, but that doesn't make "Where's the birth certificate" somehow not a low-effort troll.

I guess what I am saying is: a conservative viewpoint or devil's advocate in this thread would be nice, if there were actually a substantive effort to advance thought-out arguments for conservative politics rather boring self-contradictory one-liners.

I could just call my dad if I want to hear:
"Let's fight a multi-front war and outspend every other military on earth combined on the lowest tax rates since 1905, God why is the debt so high"
-A fiscally conservative deficit hawk

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 21, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If they thought out their arguments they wouldn't be conservatives.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Killer robot posted:

A while back I was reading something from 1980 or so, where the author lamented how many poor and middle class whites who could be easy allies of the left had been turned into solid conservative voters simply because it was conservatives who were at least pretending something other than naked contempt for those rural hicks in the flyover states. It's not changed so much.

Who cares? It's not like this is some phenomenon that's unique to the left, the right was more than happy to send those "lazy unpatriotic hippies" right into the meatgrinder of Vietnam. The cosmopolitan city-slicker is just as much of a cultural cliche as the Appalachian redneck or the Farmer John bumpkin.

The politics of the right are inherently reactionary and toxic. Whatever the social issue of the day is (slavery, child beating, miscegenation, integration, homosexuality, circumcision, whatever) they're against progress, to the extent of irrational derangement. Rural people tend to be disconnected from modern society and thus are more amenable to that kind of politics. There really has always been and probably will always be that kind of divided urban-rural dynamic for exactly that reason.

And of course the question is what should be done about it? If your solution is that the left needs to accept frothing Rush Limbaugh listeners into the political fold, or embrace opposition to gay marriage or other social changes, well, that's not going to happen. Similarly the left isn't going to stop snickering about the right being racist bigoted yokels until they actually stop throwing up reflexive opposition to every single change in their lives, and stop demonizing everyone who lives in a city (blacks and liberals) or doesn't accept their childish cariacture of a culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will never, ever stop making fun of moron conservatives.

• Locked thread