Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a really good article somewhere talking about middle class purchasing power in the 50s vs. today. in the 1950s, something like a pair of work boots would cost the equivalent of three hundred bucks today. just good leather boots. you can buy the same three hundred dollar boots today and they'll be just as good or better and they'll last forever.

OR you can buy boots for 59.99 from china. and they'll be pieces of crap and fall apart after a year. but your purchasing power has gone up five times! and the same goes for basically every consumer good -- clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. even though real wages haven't increased (or have greatly fallen) since the 50s, you can now be living at the poverty line and have a closet full of clothes and a decent sized tv because we exploit the hell out of east asia, so people can point to this as "hey look quality of life just keeps getting better"

tl;dr basically the good quality stuff still exists -- wal-mart has just simultaneously skewed everyone's ideas of how much something actually costs and how long it should last

you can get some pretty good workboots for $150 - the cost of good, durable goods has come down but as you said not dramatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a really good article somewhere talking about middle class purchasing power in the 50s vs. today. in the 1950s, something like a pair of work boots would cost the equivalent of three hundred bucks today. just good leather boots. you can buy the same three hundred dollar boots today and they'll be just as good or better and they'll last forever.

OR you can buy boots for 59.99 from china. and they'll be pieces of crap and fall apart after a year. but your purchasing power has gone up five times! and the same goes for basically every consumer good -- clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. even though real wages haven't increased (or have greatly fallen) since the 50s, you can now be living at the poverty line and have a closet full of clothes and a decent sized tv because we exploit the hell out of east asia, so people can point to this as "hey look quality of life just keeps getting better"

tl;dr basically the good quality stuff still exists -- wal-mart has just simultaneously skewed everyone's ideas of how much something actually costs and how long it should last

was by the woman who's dad sold lengerie? i'm trying to find it agreedo it was very good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a really good article somewhere talking about middle class purchasing power in the 50s vs. today. in the 1950s, something like a pair of work boots would cost the equivalent of three hundred bucks today. just good leather boots. you can buy the same three hundred dollar boots today and they'll be just as good or better and they'll last forever. there wasn't another option in the 50s -- you got the boots from the cobbler in your hometown or maybe you drove to the big city for a day to go to the fancy store.

today have another option: you can buy boots for 59.99 from china. and they'll be pieces of crap and fall apart after a year. but your purchasing power has gone up five times! and the same goes for basically every consumer good -- clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. even though real wages haven't increased (or have greatly fallen) since the 50s, you can now be living at the poverty line and have a closet full of clothes and a decent sized tv because we exploit the hell out of east asia, so people can point to this as "hey look quality of life just keeps getting better"

i can't believe that wealth disparity boots parable came out of a discworld book

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

the largest local mall has 3 department stores on the periphery, a jc pennys, dillards and macys. between the two wings of the mall was the sears; if you wanted to go to more than one store you usually had to go through the sears

it was the most depressing thing ever. like they had an absolutely enormous amount of foot traffic, but there were rarely things for sale close to the main path, lighting was dim, it looked like it had never been cleaned, displays were ancient and so forth. the store was packed from people trying to get from one end to the other end of the mall and nobody ever stopped and bought anything because they were actively trying to get people to not buy stuff I guess?

my wife along with every non-native Kentuckian I have ever met thinks Fayette Mall is the weirdest loving thing because of the Sears being in the middle like that

although I guess that Sears is gone now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i can't believe that wealth disparity boots parable came out of a discworld book

huh?

hobbesmaster posted:

you can get some pretty good workboots for $150 - the cost of good, durable goods has come down but as you said not dramatically

the other side of it is that in the 50s your average 30 year old steel mill worker was making like 50,60 grand in today's money, because he had to support a non-working wife and a bunch of kids all buying reasonably expensive consumer goods made by locals who also needed to support their similar families on their pay etc.

but i'm gonna start lfing really hard soon so

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

quote:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

my wife along with every non-native Kentuckian I have ever met thinks Fayette Mall is the weirdest loving thing because of the Sears being in the middle like that

although I guess that Sears is gone now

they're replacing it with a cheesecake factory

seriously

there is a new sears in lexington though; it replaces a space that was formerly occupied by a blockbuster video which i find loving hilarious (specifically man o war/saron drive; near tates creek/man'o'war across from the kroger)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's not really the same thing that i was saying. that's just "you only buy the expensive thing once, you buy the cheap thing again and again"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a really good article somewhere talking about middle class purchasing power in the 50s vs. today. in the 1950s, something like a pair of work boots would cost the equivalent of three hundred bucks today. just good leather boots. you can buy the same three hundred dollar boots today and they'll be just as good or better and they'll last forever. there wasn't another option in the 50s -- you got the boots from the cobbler in your hometown or maybe you drove to the big city for a day to go to the fancy store.

today have another option: you can buy boots for 59.99 from china. and they'll be pieces of crap and fall apart after a year. but your purchasing power has gone up five times! and the same goes for basically every consumer good -- clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. even though real wages haven't increased (or have greatly fallen) since the 50s, you can now be living at the poverty line and have a closet full of clothes and a decent sized tv because we exploit the hell out of east asia, so people can point to this as "hey look quality of life just keeps getting better"

ya this is true and why i'm looking at spending $400 on a food processor (but not until i know if i'll have a job next year or not lol)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

they're replacing it with a cheesecake factory

seriously

there is a new sears in lexington though; it replaces a space that was formerly occupied by a blockbuster video which i find loving hilarious (specifically man o war/saron drive; near tates creek/man'o'war across from the kroger)

:psyduck:

I guess my dad will be happy that he can still go buy craftsman tools somewhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's basically how conservatives can point at people on welfare who have a tv and ten pairs of shoes and say "look at these welfare queens, buying luxuries like extra shoes and electronics, they don't need any help". things like that are really cheap because of chinese labor but perceptions haven't shifted yet to match.

meanwhile, things like food and gasoline can't be cheapened any further by throwing more chinese children at them, so they actually track the real cost...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

:psyduck:

I guess my dad will be happy that he can still go buy craftsman tools somewhere

ok not just a cheesecake factory but

tell him to just buy poo poo tools at harbor freight, the stuff sears sells in stores today is the same crap

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

their CEO is a libertarian numbskull who is running a real-world version of 'why libertarianism doesn't work' with sears and kmart

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/

lol this owns

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
had some books arrive a few weeks ago from amazon that some tremendous fucker nicked from the apartment lobby before I could get to them; they were intended to be birthday presents and I had to scramble to buy them from around town in time. was all ready to go nuclear on amazon if they balked at offering a refund but after I called them up they were like "hey well that sucks welp here is your refund"

god dammit amazon why do you make it so hard to despise you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Mad Archivist posted:

god dammit amazon why do you make it so hard to despise you

just despise bezos as a substitute. works for me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

shaggar how do you feel about germany's government making almost every business close all day sundays

or all of france closing up for the entire month of august

fascism sucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

people love craftsman brand tools for some unfathomable reason

usually beats harbor freight

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

every time i've gone it was far easier to deal with than any private utility company

so better than private monopolies

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rotor posted:

i could make a wrench out of an old toothbrush and it would be better than harbor freight

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when this is the baseline.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when this is the baseline.

what do you have against pittsburgh?

Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

what do you have against pittsburgh?

How do you write "Pittsburgh Tools" in traditional Chinese

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

that said, it is outright hilarious how bad some of the imported chinese tools you can get at mega discount are. talking like screwdrivers with shafts that you can bend by pushing on them with your thumb, or wrenches that snap in half the first time you haul on them

i have a stainless steel knife set that is rusting 2 days after the first use

i should've probably known better but i'm gonna buy new ones in a year and a half anyway so i'll just replace what i got slowly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I bought an hf arbor press and when I opened it it was the filthiest piece of machinery I had ever seen. it's like it was coated in used grease and rolled in cinders

Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

I bought an hf arbor press and when I opened it it was the filthiest piece of machinery I had ever seen. it's like it was coated in used grease and rolled in cinders

I stopped a harbor freight to buy a right angle screwdriver to do some tight area work and they had none. Who the gently caress doesn't have those

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
wtf is a right angle screwdriver

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

wtf is a right angle screwdriver

http://www.all-spec.com/products/20705.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw1NufBRCx8ayaqY2t6KkBEiQA2nLWm0BGhZnj6aZhU0uscvdPz6K6FHXYV6PZZMk9UiPZAW8aAico8P8HAQ

good to see that you've never done poo poo with your hands in your entire life

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

I stopped a harbor freight to buy a right angle screwdriver to do some tight area work and they had none. Who the gently caress doesn't have those

the ace hardware up the street :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

a company that sells low-grade leftovers? if the product isn't sold in high enough numbers to fill a shipping crate with the production line rejects, harbor freight won't carry it. right angle screwdrivers aren't super common, i don't think we have a single one in our shop for instance (admittedly students do walk off with the tools they think are "neat")

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

a company that sells low-grade leftovers? if the product isn't sold in high enough numbers to fill a shipping crate with the production line rejects, harbor freight won't carry it. right angle screwdrivers aren't super common, i don't think we have a single one in our shop for instance (admittedly students do walk off with the tools they think are "neat")

Your posts are low-grade leftovers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

harbor freight is bizarre. i've bought stuff from there that has been fine for the single time i intended to use it, stuff that has been surprisingly good, and stuff that fell apart immediately or just didn't work out of the box.

good:
- soda blasting gun
- airbrush
- zip ties
- NPT air fittings
- teflon tape
- alligator clips

worked well enough:
- pneumatic die grinder (no problems yet. do NOT buy their discs, and wear a face shield)
- grease gun (a little leaky)
- little oil can (same)
- impact sockets (various) (none have broken yet, feel kind of crudely made though)

ayy lmao:
- pencil torch (it lights if you have another torch to get it started)
- buffing compound (poo poo, possibly literally)

other poo poo i can't remember i'm sure but all of the above probably cost me under $100 combined.

basically my rule is 1. nothing electrical and 2. nothing that could kill you if it failed. i got close to breaking #2 with the die grinder but most of the danger there is in the discs themselves, and if you buy harbor freight cutting discs ah ahaaha hahaha ahahahhaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 23, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

rotor posted:

the ace hardware up the street :mad:

I'm not crazy about ace tbh. I like that they give their employees Sunday off, but that's also a day I want to spend money at a hardware store. Home Depot sucks in it's own special way but w/ the iphone app you can find what you need quick

as far as like wrenches and stuff I spent like $80 and bought a husky mechanics set or something that's got standard and metric and it's suited my needs so far.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i went into lowes today looking for a weird thing and every employee looked like they were actively craving death, then i remembered what working retail was like and i figured i was underestimating their death cravings. i didn't find it and just left and bought it on mcmaster-carr

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i had the best goddamn hardware store right up the street from me. it was amazing. it was this tiny little old-rear end hardware store with a bunch of stuff left over from the 40s, big bulk nail thing, giant wall of nuts & bolts, they'd sell you flashing by the foot, they stocked all the weirdo stuff the houses around here need, there was a big tool rental, and the lumber yard was tiny BUT IT WAS A loving LUMBER YARD AND I COULD JUST SAW OFF FOUR FEET OF 2x6 AND BUY IT!

around 6 years ago, the owner decided to gut the building, remodel and build 8 condos on top of it. It took around 18 months because san francisco and, well, by the time they reopened the customers had just learned to go to Home Depot instead. They closed in about 6 months.

I am still super bitter about it.

Apr 7, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i went into lowes today looking for a weird thing and every employee looked like they were actively craving death, then i remembered what working retail was like and i figured i was underestimating their death cravings. i didn't find it and just left and bought it on mcmaster-carr

Don't buy poo poo from Lowes. They are the worst. When I went to buy my ill-fated chest freezer, they scheduled delivery three times and never delivered a single day. They "lost" it every time.

Apr 7, 2003

All I want is a cold box to put food in, and my landlord and Lowes don't want me to have one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Don't buy poo poo from Lowes. They are the worst. When I went to buy my ill-fated chest freezer, they scheduled delivery three times and never delivered a single day. They "lost" it every time.

lowes has better lumber than home depot, although that's an admittedly pretty low bar

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the ppl in diy say to buy lumber from a lumber yard not a hardware store idk

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wood is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

can i buy wood from amazon?

• Locked thread