Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Got enough people for a GDT today?

e: whoops. there is one.

USE THE NCAA TAG! jeeze people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I hear the Alabama QBs are not looking good in practice.

Beautiful.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

COLLEGE FOOOOOTBALLLALALALALALALALLALALALALA

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

LeeMajors posted:

COLLEGE FOOOOOTBALLLALALALALALALALLALALALALA

I'm watching it

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My eyes, MY EYES!!! :gonk:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

LeeMajors posted:

If there is a god, Saban will go 7-6 and they will be calling for his head.

They'd just fire Kiffin in that case. Saban would have to go like 0-12 for 3-4 years in a row at this point for people to even question potentially thinking about considering the possibility of maybe firing him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

VDay posted:

They'd just fire Kiffin in that case. Saban would have to go like 0-12 for 3-4 years in a row at this point for people to even question potentially thinking about considering the possibility of maybe firing him.

Saban goes 0-12, toothless, webfooted motherfuckers will be picketing in the streets.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Saban goes 0-12, toothless, webfooted motherfuckers will be picketing in the streets.

hey now, alabama is in fact an institution of higher learning with university educated alumni

an institution that was brave enough to push forward racial issues in 2013 like "allowing black girls to join sororities"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lasagna Pilot posted:

It's just gonna be a repeat of the year following McElroy's graduation. They'll play musical QBs until Coker (most likely) wins the job in game 3.

VDay posted:

LeeMajors posted:

It is really hilarious when Bama drops a game or two and out come the "HAS THE GAME PASSED SABAN BY?!?!?" articles.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Chump Farts posted:

hey now, alabama is in fact an institution of higher learning with university educated alumni

an institution that was brave enough to push forward racial issues in 2013 like "allowing black girls to join sororities"

Keep in mind it's possible a majority of their fan base didn't attend the school.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Keep in mind it's possible a majority of their fan base didn't attend the school.

i know, auburn fans speak this a lot, but i use any excuse to make jokes about the sorority thing because holy poo poo

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Chump Farts posted:

i know, auburn fans speak this a lot, but i use any excuse to make jokes about the sorority thing because holy poo poo

Let me tell you about a place called Ole MIss

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

Seriously this. gently caress them on principle.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Raku posted:

I have friends that joined fraternities and sororities at Ole Miss. At the end of initiation some alums wouldn't shake their hands because they weren't from Mississippi.

Alabama's sorority issues are unacceptable in the 21st century.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 23, 2014

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I renewed last year's NCAA Pick 'Em group on Yahoo! New thread is here.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Spacebump posted:

I have friends that joined fraternities and sororities at Ole Miss. At the end of initiation some alums wouldn't shake their hands because they weren't from Mississippi.

Alabama's sorority issues are unacceptable in the 21st century.

That is strange because about half of their student body is from out of state.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

That is strange because about half of their student body is from out of state.

Maybe it was just some weirdness in their specific house but it did happen.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I feel like Alabama is getting a lot of (deserved) negative press about the sororities, which were at least you know, that kind of private exclusion thing that's arguably legal and was handled by the university well when it came out.

Ole Miss has fraternities hanging nooses around the neck of the James Meredith statue during Black History Month.

Greek culture is hosed up and is all about rich white aristocrats.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Raku posted:

I feel like Alabama is getting a lot of (deserved) negative press about the sororities, which were at least you know, that kind of private exclusion thing that's arguably legal and was handled by the university well when it came out.

Ole Miss has fraternities hanging nooses around the neck of the James Meredith statue during Black History Month.

That is super hosed up. Do you have links? I know their players were shouting hateful poo poo at a play, but I don't think I've seen stories about the university itself being weird.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Raku posted:

NOTALLGREEKS

Usually the more "prestigious" frats on campus will be filled with what you imagine, but mine had nerds, rednecks, hippies, gays, minorities, engineers, farmers, liberal arts types, you name it. Most of us had to work to cover dues, but it was worth it.

Of course, we also have a KA chapter that does their confederate themed formal and a Pike chapter that likely leads the state in rapes per capita, but most were filled with good guys.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Chump Farts posted:

That is super hosed up. Do you have links? I know their players were shouting hateful poo poo at a play, but I don't think I've seen stories about the university itself being weird.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631289&userid=110749#post429525600

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LeeMajors posted:

If there is a god, Saban will go 7-6 and they will be calling for his head.

He has his scapegoat in Kiffin.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
If Alabama goes 7-6 I'll eat my hat*

*I don't own a hat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

*I don't own a hat.

There really should be some sort of hat eating thread where such things can be documented.

I made some sort of proclamation that if Rutgers or Maryland finishes third or better in their division that I'd buy and eat a cookie cake with a crow on it (provided that I could figure out how to get a cookie cake with a crow on it).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Do we have a 2014-2015 football season toxx thread going?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Do we have a 2014-2015 football season toxx thread going?

Not sure but I have one this year.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Here are some pictures of Mississippi State's stadium expansion that we finished this week.

It's beautiful.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Here are some pictures of Mississippi State's stadium expansion that we finished this week.

It's beautiful.

Screens are nice, what was the old seating and what is it now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's beautiful.

#hailstate

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Got tickets to Texas / UNT and I'm so excited. Maybe the defense will actually play like the 4 and 5* recruits they are.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

It's beautiful.

'sup new stadium extension bro? :respek:

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The pieces are all falling into place.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

It's beautiful.

Is there some story behind the visitor side lighting? Years back when that expansion was started the renderings showed lighting attached to the upper deck. The two ground-based lights masts looked like they were just there for construction but they're still standing after other expansions.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

:respek: I really wish that you guys would come to see ours first so we'd have a better chance. But yeah, we have some awesome expansions.

Chump Farts posted:

Screens are nice, what was the old seating and what is it now?

55k to 64k. The whole north end zone is new, it just used to be some temp bleachers and an old, broken screen. Also, countless cosmetic upgrades on the outside on all sides. We now have a stadium that looks like it belongs in the SEC, even if it is still the third smallest.

Here is a similar "before" shot.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Is there some story behind the visitor side lighting? Years back when that expansion was started the renderings showed lighting attached to the upper deck. The two ground-based lights masts looked like they were just there for construction but they're still standing after other expansions.

I think that it's just that all the lights aren't on in that shot. These aren't pro shots from the school, but pics taken by a local business owner.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 24, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

55k to 64k. The whole north end zone is new, it just used to be some temp bleachers and an old, broken screen. Also, countless cosmetic upgrades on the outside on all sides. We now have a stadium that looks like it belongs in the SEC, even if it is still the third smallest.

Whoa, I had no idea your stadium was so small. Makes the comically sized video board even more hilarious/amazing.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Whoa, I had no idea your stadium was so small. Makes the comically sized video board even more hilarious/amazing.

That first one was plenty, but now we have more square footage than the next stadium by about 3k feet (I posted an info graphic several pages back). When your fan base doesn't have enough fans to justify a 100k stadium, you spend that sweet, sweet SEC welfare money on amenities.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

*I don't own a hat.

Ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe??

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

That first one was plenty, but now we have more square footage than the next stadium by about 3k feet (I posted an info graphic several pages back). When your fan base doesn't have enough fans to justify a 100k stadium, you spend that sweet, sweet SEC welfare money on amenities.

Honestly, that's a good way to go; I don't know how much sense going over 100,000 seats makes anymore. I think this came up earlier in the thread, but given various modern day factors (mostly HD/other technology and rising ticket prices), enhancing the stadium's amenities and the overall gameday atmosphere is probably a better use of money.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Chump Farts posted:

don't worry, they;re doing everything possible to make sure that progress doesn't happen http://jezebel.com/uofa-student-pos...dium=socialflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

I think that it's just that all the lights aren't on in that shot. These aren't pro shots from the school, but pics taken by a local business owner.

I'm seeing the same west side lights in current construction photos. That picture does a great job of showing the two side's different lighting. It's an absurd thing for me to remember and wonder about but I think the behind-the scenes explanation would be interesting. Maybe whoever did the first 2002 expansion rendering didn't know that lighting had advanced such that two giant masts will do the job. Maybe it was also a smart cost-saving move. Maybe I was a stupid high school kid in 2001 and don't remember correctly.

I'm reminded of another quirk of the stadium: The 1990 fieldhouse expansion had ramps that came down from the locker rooms pointing to the sidelines. . .and then turning back in so that the opposing teams had to meet at the same bottle neck. I don't think that ever caused a notable fight but they did add another ramp.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread