Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CitizenKain posted:

Those black blobs are there general locations of our ICBMs. Also there is a large airforce base in that region, and it used to host a lot of bombers.

I much prefer the other idea.

"Yes I too am tired of picking targets. Let's just blow the piss out of ehhh Montana and go get bombed ourselves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It is funny that the only state that isn't marked for a nuke is Idaho. Even other countries must forget it exists. Or believe that its nothing but forests and extremist doomsday groups that aren't worth the target practice.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm more confused by why they're bothering to target west Texas.

EDIT: Actually, looking closer, I suppose Lubbock might vaguely resemble a valid target if you're firing that many, and there are a few USAF bases aroud there. I'm still calling the one aimed at Midland a waste of a perfectly good nuclear warhead, though.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 25, 2014

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Technogeek posted:

Refineries maybe?

EDIT: God drat it WEST Texas.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Technogeek posted:

What's there to hit? Millions of cows might make a pretty impressive blast wave when nuked but isn't most of west Texas empty to the point of having 1 person per square mile maybe?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's a shitload of nuclear munitions manufacturing, testing and storage out in West Texas.

EDIT: Brain fart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

What's there to hit? Millions of cows might make a pretty impressive blast wave when nuked but isn't most of west Texas empty to the point of having 1 person per square mile maybe?

If you're going to go out nukes blazing possibly ending all life on Earth don't you want to make sure the post-apocalypse is absolutely 100% Texan-free?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It is funny that the only state that isn't marked for a nuke is Idaho. Even other countries must forget it exists. Or believe that its nothing but forests and extremist doomsday groups that aren't worth the target practice.

Boise would be targeted.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Idaho has potatoes, Russians love vodka. Next.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm surprised their plan doesn't include "nuke the gently caress out of Yellowstone, maybe we can trigger a reaction."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hedera Helix posted:

Boise would be targeted.

I'd like to imagine there was a debate about even bothering.

"Comrade general I know the rules say all state capitals must be targeted but they have more cows than people!"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"Comrade general I know the rules say all state capitals must be targeted but they have more cows than people!"

Concord, Montpelier, Augusta and Bismark aren't targeted at all :v:. Montpelier is the smallest capitol with like 5000 people though, so that makes sense.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm confused why some areas which are heavily targeted in the 500-warhead scenario are not shown as targets in the 2000-warhead scenario. (For example,the cities along the Texas-Mexico border.) Unless being shown as a 500-warhead target is meant to also imply being a 2000-warhead target. Maybe the 500-warhead scenario goes for maximum civilian damage where the 2000-warhead scenaro makes more effort to prevent a retaliation strike? Is there more analysis or explanation of this map somewhere?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Number_6 posted:

I'm confused why some areas which are heavily targeted in the 500-warhead scenario are not shown as targets in the 2000-warhead scenario. (For example,the cities along the Texas-Mexico border.) Unless being shown as a 500-warhead target is meant to also imply being a 2000-warhead target. Maybe the 500-warhead scenario goes for maximum civilian damage where the 2000-warhead scenaro makes more effort to prevent a retaliation strike? Is there more analysis or explanation of this map somewhere?

I think the black dots are 1500 extra sites on top of the 500 warhead scenario. They just didn't also do a black dot for the 500 original. I guess some places have both for maximum destruction? Don't know for sure though.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Raskolnikov38 posted:

One reason I missed it at first. They don't even notice it till they decide on 500 warhead launch. Even then you can imagine that they just picked it to say we need to hit all 50 capitols even if its a waste of a perfectly good missile. Personally why not pick a random soldier of the week to pick the last missile launch point? Make people strive to be the best to pick a target for the glory of the motherland :hist101:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think the black dots are 1500 extra sites on top of the 500 warhead scenario. They just didn't also do a black dot for the 500 original. I guess some places have both for maximum destruction? Don't know for sure though.

Also 500 and 2000 warhead targeting plans have different end goals. 500 should be limited to mostly military targets as its supposed to be quick limited nuclear war one side could theoretically 'win' or alternatively used as a preemptive strike. 2000 warheads are the gently caress everything, salt the earth, we're not gonna get a second chance response where you try to cause as much collateral damage as possible to forever ruin the nation

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Pretty sure the 2,000 warhead scenario is a first strike by the Soviets, that's why all the ICBM silos in gently caress all nowhere are targeted. The 500 warhead scenario is a retaliatory strike; America launched first and presumably destroyed a number of Soviet launching sites. At least, that's what I remember being explained the last time I saw this picture.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I actually asked about this map in the mil hist thread and it's actually the inverse. The 2000 nuke strike is first strike to hit as many nukes and military facilities as possible as much as possible. The 500 nuke strike is the gently caress you retaliatory strike if the US is the one launching the first strike.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Technogeek posted:

EDIT: Actually, looking closer, I suppose Lubbock might vaguely resemble a valid target if you're firing that many, and there are a few USAF bases aroud there. I'm still calling the one aimed at Midland a waste of a perfectly good nuclear warhead, though.

The only plant that assembles nuclear parts for nuclear weapons is in Amarillo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex_Plant

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Look, when you have that many nukes you can't target them all at New York City or Washington DC. Sometimes you just want to ensure the Green Bay Packers are wiped forever from this Earth.

The triangles on their own are weird. Like I wonder what that one in south Oregon is for. And the one on the edge of North Dakota.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

effectual posted:

The triangles on their own are weird. Like I wonder what that one in south Oregon is for. And the one on the edge of North Dakota.

Corvallis OR has OSU & Fargo, ND has an intersection of 2 interstates and several major rail lines. The places with triangles on their own likely have high economic/"total war" value relative to black dots on their own which have relatively high military/strike value.

Hoppy Goodness
Nov 26, 2007

Alexzandvar posted:

They only knew the general area of the Silo's, so they would just carpet the area.

As someone who lives in Minot, ND (epicenter of that darkness in NW ND) I can assure you the Russians know exactly where every single silo is, because there's highway signs pointing them all out which makes them very easy to identify. Those black dots are pinpoint strikes.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

That's weird...unless I am reading the map wrong thy don't have Whiteman AFB in Missouri targeted. I would have thought it would be in the list because of hosting B-2 bombers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Haha, look at all those baby states whose capitals aren't important enough to nuke :smug:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Trabisnikof posted:

Corvallis OR has OSU & Fargo, ND has an intersection of 2 interstates and several major rail lines. The places with triangles on their own likely have high economic/"total war" value relative to black dots on their own which have relatively high military/strike value.

No, not the one Corvallis, there's one on like ... Medford. The gently caress is in Medford. (Might be Klamath Falls. Is there a hydro dam there?)

edit: Staring close at Google Earth, I see a dam there.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Vavrek posted:

No, not the one Corvallis, there's one on like ... Medford. The gently caress is in Medford. (Might be Klamath Falls. Is there a hydro dam there?)

edit: Staring close at Google Earth, I see a dam there.

Maybe they're gunning for the Ashland Shakespeare Festival.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Look, when you have that many nukes you can't target them all at New York City or Washington DC. Sometimes you just want to ensure the Green Bay Packers are wiped forever from this Earth.

The case for leaving ISIS to its own devices.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Stealthy cruise missile chat was a few pages back but this is relevant to nuke chat as well.

The US had the AGM-129 ACM in its inventory for over 20 years but it was expensive, unreliable, and only carried a nuclear payload. A conventional variant was put forward but never built and even then the system could still only be deployed on a B-52. The entire inventory was destroyed by 2012 under SORT.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Technogeek posted:

Big Springs VA hospital?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hedera Helix posted:

Boise would be targeted.

The black dot near the top seems to be Moscow (Idaho) as well.

I'm surprised they weren't considering INEL though.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Wow, Lafayette Indiana is on the list? The only thing there's Purdue University. As much as I love the place I got a degree, I didn't think it was quite *that* important...

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I can understand them hitting Camp Grayling, it's one of the biggest military installations in the US but hitting Manistee, presumably for its Coast Guard station? Really?

Yoopers will be kings of the radioactive wastelands.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks like the 51st state, the UP, is totally safe :smug:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some of that first strike stuff is a bit perplexing, for sure. Fayette County, TX? The only thing notable in Fayette County was shut down over 40 years ago, and even that wasn't worth a nuke.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It's not? :raise:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Some of that first strike stuff is a bit perplexing, for sure. Fayette County, TX? The only thing notable in Fayette County was shut down over 40 years ago, and even that wasn't worth a nuke.

They couldn't decide whether to send that nuke to Austin or Houston so they split the difference.

edit: Maybe they really hate ZZ Top?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 25, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alexzandvar posted:

They only knew the general area of the Silo's, so they would just carpet the area.

This is untrue. Any nation with satellite imagery knew exactly where the silos were. Hell you can map them out using Google maps if you want. The problem is that the silos are designed to be immune to just about anything but a ground burst right on top/next to them and are spaced pretty far from each other so you need a warhead per silo to take them out. And there are a crapton of silos.

Another speculated benefit of that design is that the ground burst would throw up a huge amount of debris into the atmosphere which would, supposedly, sandblast any incoming warheads to bits as they reentered to hit a neighboring silo. Meanwhile the missiles in the remaining silos could launch without any trouble because they were going comparably slowly and still had the nose cone in place protecting the warheads. Less fun is that the ground bursts would result in absolutely insane amounts of fallout downwind.

The engineering and planning that went into all of it is really impressive. It makes you wonder where we would be as a nation if it had been directed to a more peaceful application.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

The engineering and planning that went into all of it is really impressive. It makes you wonder where we would be as a nation if it had been directed to a more peaceful application.

It was tried!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shifty Pony posted:

Taken over by the commies, of course. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rumor spredin' round,
in that Texas town.
'Bout this power plant,
outside the cit-taaayyy

If I recall correctly, there's a big power plant or something out in Fayette County.

• Locked thread