Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Jimlad posted:

Still on the exposure topic, what's the best way to optimise image quality in terms of ISO? Usually I keep it at base unless I have no choice but to increase it to avoid underexposure, in which case I'll keep it as low as possible while doing ETTR, but I'm wondering whether that's the right approach. Is it better to keep it at base and push process for a given aperture/shutter speed?

There is a lot of people on the gearhead forums that say with the exmor sensors there's no penalty for shooting @ ISO 100 and pushing in post vs raising the ISO in camera (they call it ISOless) - someone with actual experience with this sensor can probably chime in regarding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Jimlad posted:

ok, give me a few days I have to do all the post processing.

No using the warp tool to make your dilz look large please.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Shut up an take pictures. That is all.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I use the Zapruder method and always expose back and to the left.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

feigning interest posted:

I use the Zapruder method and always expose back and to the left.

I do the same but have a 2nd shooter on hand who will ETTR.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jimlad posted:

Calm down, people. I already know that nobody cares about the technical aspects of photography when you show them a picture. I don't know at what point I've said "I don't care about or understand composition", or "This is how it should theoretically work but I never actually take photos," but honestly that's completely not the case - I go out and shoot most days and I strongly believe that the basic artistic elements of photography are far more important than whether you're using an iPhone or Hasselblad. Would anyone imagine that it's possible to simultaneously care about taking a pretty picture and care about how to technically get the most of my camera while doing it? The first sign of anyone trying to figure out what's actually going on in their camera and suddenly there are cries of "Sperg! Sperg!" :bandwagon: Thanks to the guys who've actually offered constructive advice though.

My initial point was that I'm shocked about how Sony hasn't got any features to allow proper ETTR, but the response from this thread has made it obvious why. I'm not going to completely stop shooting that way because that's what I've always done, and despite everyone saying that's a waste of time, nobody's yet suggested any disadvantages other than it not being cool with them. That's fine, but I'll keep doing everything practical that I can to maximise image quality in whatever I shoot. That's just my MO. That's not to say I'm stubborn enough not to give random exposure shooting a try, I'll probably try that this weekend just to see what happens.

Still on the exposure topic, what's the best way to optimise image quality in terms of ISO? Usually I keep it at base unless I have no choice but to increase it to avoid underexposure, in which case I'll keep it as low as possible while doing ETTR, but I'm wondering whether that's the right approach. Is it better to keep it at base and push process for a given aperture/shutter speed?

Erm, you realise that reducing your dynamic range by one bit is equivalent to half your total data, or one full stop, right?

You should do some testing of your camera to figure out what, if any, gains there are from ETTR vs. letting the camera do it's thing in Aperture Priority mode w/ Auto ISO. Personally, I'd use Aperture Priority and Auto ISO until I could prove that there was a noticeable loss of quality that could be fixed by doing ETTR rather than assuming ETTR is better and doing it. Just because ETTR is a pain compared to letting the camera do it's thing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Jimlad posted:

Also, does anyone know how find out if a camera has a raw histogram?

I think the only cameras that can do it out of the box are the Leica digital M bodies. If you load Magic Lantern on a Canon I think you have the option to display a raw histogram as well though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Pentax ME Super + Portra 400 + shoot Av = never give a gently caress about exposure again

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spedman posted:

Pentax ME Super + Portra 400 + shoot Av = never give a gently caress about exposure again

Seriously almost every picture I've taken with the ME Super has been exposed pretty drat well; I wish I could do as well with my DSLR because making prints is slow and I don't have a macro lens to capture my negatives.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
What the gently caress is going on here?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

spog posted:

Autism strikes again.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

In all the situations I've been concerned enough about losing detail where ETTR would have theoretically helped, ETTR would have also blown highlights. If you have crazy dynamic range just bracket exposure with digital. Maybe I'm alone in this, but if my digital camera mis-metered the scene by 1/2 a stop, I nudge a slider in Lightroom and move on without thinking about it too much.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

spog posted:

Just a guess, bad posting.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ETTR was invented probably for sensors like the 5D2 and older, when they did wan't all that data possible. But these days with modern sensors and the magic of Lightroom, it's really not necessary anymore. Just expose properly for what you want to see in your photo. If you really must have all that shadow detail and highlight recovery, maybe you should move into digital medium format.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

alkanphel posted:

If you really must have all that shadow detail and highlight recovery, maybe you should move into digital medium format. film

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^ as long as it's not slide film...

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Can anyone recommend a place to get a film camera and lenses cleaned to send? I recently inherited my father's gear and figure it's a good chance to get my hands dirty with film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If you're in the USA, KEH offers a bunch of services. They might or might not do it if you're in Hawaii or Alaska, I can't remember.

Otherwise, most camera service professionals are brand-specific. What camera did you get?

Chances are good that, unless it's obviously grimy as hell, an old film SLR will be in good enough condition to just go shooting. Pick up some cheap C-41 film and burn a couple of rolls.

EDIT: comedy option, if you have a Pentax ME, ME Super, or MX (or, I suppose, an MV), send it to Mr. Despair along with a bottle of mid-shelf liquor.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

If you're in the USA, KEH offers a bunch of services. They might or might not do it if you're in Hawaii or Alaska, I can't remember.

Otherwise, most camera service professionals are brand-specific. What camera did you get?

Chances are good that, unless it's obviously grimy as hell, an old film SLR will be in good enough condition to just go shooting. Pick up some cheap C-41 film and burn a couple of rolls.

EDIT: comedy option, if you have a Pentax ME, ME Super, or MX (or, I suppose, an MV), send it to Mr. Despair along with a bottle of mid-shelf liquor.

I'm in Hanoi currently so I don't remember exactly, but when I'm back in Baltimore I'll check out what I have. A fairly good selection of lenses and 2 camera bodies. Thanks for the recommendation!

The bodies and lenses are absolutely terrible dust wise. It wouldn't be pretty.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
People keep mentioning "modern" sensors. But what about those of us who shoot Canon??

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

People keep mentioning "modern" sensors. But what about those of us who shoot Canon??

Switch to Sony.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Switch to Sony.

This is the new "kill u are self".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm in Hanoi currently so I don't remember exactly, but when I'm back in Baltimore I'll check out what I have. A fairly good selection of lenses and 2 camera bodies. Thanks for the recommendation!

The bodies and lenses are absolutely terrible dust wise. It wouldn't be pretty.

Do it yourself. Unless the mechanism of the lenses/bodies is clogged with crap, there's no reason that you can't do it with a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush/cloth/lens brush.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

spog posted:

Do it yourself. Unless the mechanism of the lenses/bodies is clogged with crap, there's no reason that you can't do it with a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush/cloth/lens brush.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try! It's not like there is a sensor, so even a little dust won't hurt anything I guess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

I guess it doesn't hurt to try! It's not like there is a sensor, so even a little dust won't hurt anything I guess.

Only touch the shutter with a gentle touch of the lens brush (no alcohol) and just avoid hamfistedly mashing any bits of thin metal inside the body with the toothbrush and it's hard to see what you could gently caress up.

Plus, it will make you feel at one with the equipment and you'll acheive a zen-like bond with it.

Oh and make you ETTR while cleaning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Taking apart my lens I learned that the switch between AF and manual isn't just an electronic button. It mechanically moves a tiny metal shift fork, which engages/disengages a tiny countergear on a little shaft. It is exactly, and I mean exactly like reverse gear in a car gearbox, just tiny. Was quite impressed.

Not so impressed with how flimsy the construction of the lens really is.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

At least the newer ones don't band even though they're still pretty drat noisy (6D, 70D, 100D) - baby steps man. Baby steps.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

At least the newer ones don't band even though they're still pretty drat noisy (6D, 70D, 100D) - baby steps man. Baby steps.

I don't understand the hate with noise. Not every photo needs to be perfectly clean.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pukestain Pal posted:

I don't understand the hate with noise. Not every photo needs to be perfectly clean.

I don't mind noise at all - I don't print anything huge (occasionally I'll do an 11x14, but that's rare) , so it's just not a concern for me - ACR gets rid of the chroma noise no problem, and the luminance noise doesn't bother me at all, especially at these small print sizes like 8x10. The banding you got in the shadows on everything but the newest canons if you pushed them much was horrible though - I can understand why that drives people nuts.

For the people who want to shoot into the sun and make gallery sized single shot HDR prints, welp, sucks to be them :(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

I don't mind noise at all - I don't print anything huge (occasionally I'll do an 11x14, but that's rare) , so it's just not a concern for me - ACR gets rid of the chroma noise no problem, and the luminance noise doesn't bother me at all, especially at these small print sizes like 8x10. The banding you got in the shadows on everything but the newest canons if you pushed them much was horrible though - I can understand why that drives people nuts.

For the people who want to shoot into the sun and make gallery sized single shot HDR prints, welp, sucks to be them :(

That's the exact reason I went with the 6D over the 5D3 (money wasn't a factor). The banding is actually BETTER on the 6D than the 5D3 in the shadows.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pukestain Pal posted:

That's the exact reason I went with the 6D over the 5D3 (money wasn't a factor). The banding is actually BETTER on the 6D than the 5D3 in the shadows.

Yeah, the 6, 70 and sl1 are the only ones that have it mostly fixed - anything older (5d3, 7d, t4i/t5i, 60d) are a big mess in the shadows

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah, the 6, 70 and sl1 are the only ones that have it mostly fixed - anything older (5d3, 7d, t4i/t5i, 60d) are a big mess in the shadows

No, this is nuts. I've shot with digital Canons for 10 years and not once have I chucked out a shot because of shadow banding. This has been gearnerd fantasy since 2004 at least, with people posting underexposed 100% crops from their living room before returning a succession of bodies before finally switching to some other system in impotent rage.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

No, this is nuts. I've shot with digital Canons for 10 years and not once have I chucked out a shot because of shadow banding. This has been gearnerd fantasy since 2004 at least, with people posting underexposed 100% crops from their living room before returning a succession of bodies before finally switching to some other system in impotent rage.

WIth wildlife photography, or some others that you you might aggressively have to crop it can be an issue.

But yes, generally who cares. When making a choice between sensors, you might as well go for the better one though. You never know if you might end up with a photo where the banding will be an issue resulting in a poor photo.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TsarAleksi posted:

Haha - yes, the 5 stop underexposed and pushed sample of a totally black frame :) I just meant that for people who want to shoot directly into the sun without a grad, it's an issue I guess? I kept my 10D for a decade, so it obviously never bothered me that much. I sometimes wonder how many of the people who rage about it on gear forums actually make giant prints of ultra high contrast landscapes (it seems there is more ragers than fine art photographers in the world)

I think the worst shadows I've had to deal with in the past year was the rock wall behind a white tiger at the zoo, who was sitting right in direct sunlight. They are messy at 100%, but even down to 50% on my monitor they look fine, and at 8x10 they are "who the hell cares"

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
You guys need to learn to obsess over composition and content instead of all this poo poo.

Christ.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

You guys need to learn to obsess over composition and content instead of all this poo poo.

Christ.

Instead of circlejerking, that just turns into aggressiveness and hurt feelings.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
take more photographs

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Taking apart my lens I learned that the switch between AF and manual isn't just an electronic button. It mechanically moves a tiny metal shift fork, which engages/disengages a tiny countergear on a little shaft. It is exactly, and I mean exactly like reverse gear in a car gearbox, just tiny. Was quite impressed.

Not so impressed with how flimsy the construction of the lens really is.

This is one thing I absolutely adore about SomethingAwful - a professional mechanic wanders into the Dorkroom with his new camera, and ends up discovering his lens has a gearbox, and is otherwise extremely similar to a late-90's Hyundai.

That's just the kit lens. Don't worry, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I am convinced the "professional" grade lenses are much less flimsy.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Instead of circlejerking, that just turns into aggressiveness and hurt feelings.

Really sad to see you posting again.

MrBlandAverage posted:

take more photographs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MrBlandAverage posted:

take more photographs

yes