Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I think leaving his posts unchallenged is a bad idea whether he genuinely holds the beliefs he espouses or not; lurkers need to hear the responses because the poo poo he posts get said all the time by people that *do* believe what they're saying.

e: poo poo, new page, have an article about Republicans threatening more shutdowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Amergin posted:

Last time I made an effort to debate, an admin had to come in and force everyone to change the topic (I think it was race chat but still).
Not my fault y'all love to :spergin:

Oh, don't just judge yourself by the last time... You pretty much gently caress up every thread you participate in. Here is a gold star. :eng99:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
His act would be a better fit in the Dittohead thread, since that is exactly what his act is, a living breathing parroting doll of vapidness. It may actually be helpful if he at least cited his sources, since discussion of the source material would have an actual benefit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Amergin posted:

After pages of silly nuclear-attack-targets chat and then even sillier bestiality/Mr. Hands chat, I'm the one who's making GBS threads up this thread?

Really?

You're less comfortable and less welcomed than a horse penetrating a dude. :dong:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Scott Price, of Andover, one of the plaintiffs on the lawsuit, is ready to keep fighting. The father of an adult daughter with cerebral palsy, he provides care a few hours a week and also pays a worker to care for her under a state program. Price called the unionization efforts misguided.

“I don’t want a union in my house; that’s why I agreed to join the lawsuit,” Price said. “I don’t need a union. They can’t help me.”

Safe to say that this man also most likely opposes national health care or government help in obtaining insurance. For him, not even a family emergency and need will be enough to help him see the benefit of having health care workers. Despite getting one through a state system.

He just needs a pleb that will shut the gently caress up and do what he tells him.

Goddamn these people.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

After pages of silly nuclear-attack-targets chat and then even sillier bestiality/Mr. Hands chat, I'm the one who's making GBS threads up this thread?

Really?

Well you either have really stupid opinions or you get off on getting a debate forum to debate you, which means you're a child.

So either way yeah your posting sucks and that's coming from me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wish we had an equivalent to the libertarian thread or the booze derail thread where Amergin could post stuff from other forums and people could yell at him there instead of getting lame GOP talking points inserted into the politics thread randomly.

He would still be allowed to come in and suggest thread titles though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congressmen seem nice.

quote:

An unidentified southern congressman once held the former upstate House member’s arm while walking her down the chamber’s center aisle. “You know, Kirsten, you’re even pretty when you’re fat,” he told her.

“I believed his intentions were sweet, even if he was being an idiot,” Gillibrand recounted.

Gillibrand has struggled with her weight, going between a Size 4 and Size 16 after giving birth.

She recalled a labor leader once told her: “When I first met you in 2006 you were beautiful, a breath of fresh air. To win [the special], you need to be beautiful again.”

“I knew I was too heavy for my own health,” Gillibrand recalled.

After she dropped 50 pounds and got elected to the Senate, one of her favorite older senators walked up behind her, squeezed her waist, and intoned: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.”

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's a good old boys club. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have thoughts on the out of control teen 9 year old who totally turned on her wall hacks/ESP and headshotted her instructor from halfway across the map? Will the NRA endorse candidates who are pro VAC ban?

Radish posted:

I wish we had an equivalent to the libertarian thread or the booze derail thread where Amergin could post stuff from other forums and people could yell at him there instead of getting lame GOP talking points inserted into the politics thread randomly.

That's a lot of words for "bring back lf".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

I've had female lobbyists tell me that (unfortunately) if you can't handle some light groping then you probably won't last long.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phone posted:

Anybody have thoughts on the out of control teen 9 year old who totally turned on her wall hacks/ESP and headshotted her instructor from halfway across the map? Will the NRA endorse candidates who are pro VAC ban?

Another case of irresponsible gun ownership. Of course, any legislation that attempts to make gun owners more responsible, will be fought tooth and nail as the long-foretold end of freedom.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If only that gun instructor had had a gun, this never would have happened.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I saw this through The Blaze, which showed up on my facebook feed via the activity of a dear childhood friend who is nonetheless hopelessly in thrall to the right wing media conglomerate.

Basically it turns out you should try to avoid felony indictments. Huh, who knew. I won't give the traffic to The Blaze, which of course spun this as a naked affront to the 2nd amendment, but here's a reuter's article on it:

Texas Governor Perry's indictment to curb his gun-toting ways (Blaze headline was "Texas Gov. Rick Perry Loses His Right to Carry a Concealed Firearm, Buy Guns or Ammo")

quote:

A felony indictment for abuse of power will hit Texas Governor Rick Perry, an avowed gun enthusiast, where it hurts - by curtailing some of his rights to bear firearms.

Perry, a possible candidate in the 2016 Republican presidential race, has sought the spotlight since his indictment last week, holding news conferences to denounce the charges as politically motivated and turning his booking into a campaign-style event where he spoke to cheering supporters.

Under state law, Perry, a staunch supporter of gun rights who said he shot a coyote to death with a pistol while jogging in Austin in 2010, is no longer allowed a license to carry a concealed handgun because of the indictment.

Someone whose license is revoked can appeal or reapply two years after the date of revocation.

Perry has entered a not guilty plea to charges of abuse of official capacity, a first-degree felony, and coercion of a public official, a third-degree felony, handed down by a state grand jury last week. He faces up to 99 years in jail if convicted of the first-degree felony.

The longest-serving governor in the state's history, Perry became the target of an ethics investigation last year after he vetoed $7.5 million in funding for the state public integrity unit run from the Travis County district attorney's office. His veto was widely viewed as intended to force the resignation of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, a Democrat, after she had pleaded guilty to drunken driving.

Edwin Walker, a gun rights attorney in Houston, said if someone is indicted for a felony the state will suspend his or her concealed handgun license during the indictment period. Texas does not generally allow for the open carrying of handguns in public.

But a suspension would not prevent the governor from carrying a handgun while at home.

"He is allowed to have a concealed handgun wherever anybody is allowed to have one," Walker said. "That is on property that they own or property that they control."

At work, Perry is protected by an armed security detail.

Perry has been photographed firing weapons and posted a video called "What to do on a Day Off" that shows him shooting weapons at an Austin gun range. He has told reporters he owns several guns, including family heirlooms and historic handguns.

Under federal law, he is prohibited from buying guns and ammunition while under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.

"What he has he can use, but he can no longer purchase new stuff because of this felony charge," said Josh Felker, who runs Lone Star Handgun, a shooting range near San Antonio.

Perry has waived his right to appear at an arraignment scheduled in Austin on Friday, where his lawyers said they may seek to have the charges dismissed.

Under state law, Perry can keep his handguns, including the Ruger .380 he said he used to kill the coyote.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

StandardVC10 posted:

Another case of irresponsible gun ownership. Of course, any legislation that attempts to make gun owners more responsible, will be fought tooth and nail as the long-foretold end of freedom.

quote:

"[The instructor] never should have been off to one side or the other. It's called the 180-degree rule," said Roberts, a weapons instructor from Franklin Township, Gloucester County.

"There's nothing inherently wrong with a 9-year-old shooting [fully automatic weapon]," Roberts said. "It just has to be done under very strictly controlled circumstances."

While Roberts said he didn't want to criticize the deceased instructor, he said there are a number of precautions instructors can take to prevent such an accident.

:911: :911: :911:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The answer is clearly forcing little girls to play call of duty so they can learn about the muzzle rise of Uzis with only the risk of virtual friendly fire.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The answer is clearly forcing little girls to play call of duty so they can learn about the muzzle rise of Uzis with only the risk of virtual friendly fire.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I would say we should elect some more gay congressmen to objectify the men, but they're all pretty gross looking except for Schock (R-The Closet).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Badger of Basra posted:

I would say we should elect some more gay congressmen to objectify the men, but they're all pretty gross looking except for Schock (R-The Closet).

One of the most sensible reasons I've heard for the outrageous reaction to gay guys in the locker room at the gym or such is the fear that they'll treat other men the way some men treat women. :allears:

I'd make sweet love to diamond joe

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
That poor loving kid. Something tells me she's not going to grow up into a guns-are-fun enthusiast like her parents had hoped.

When I was around that age I was put through a gun safety course (mostly geared for hunters-to-be but that's not why my parents enrolled me) and taken out to the range reasonably often, but even then the overwhelming theme was always "guns are loving serious, more than a little scary, and each one of them in an instant could end anybody's life. Never for a second believe they're a toy"

Also I absolutely love the criticisms of, "Well, it's not THAT he handed a loaded Uzi to a nine year old and encouraged her to spray downrange. It's HOW he did it...". Yes, we dare not suggest that a 2nd grader going full auto might not be the best idea. Obviously it's a great idea, for all possible worlds.

It's almost as if half of this country is fully convinced that there is no bad bullet that could ever come out of the chamber: the world can only be enriched by each expression of freedom. That the problem with guns is only ever one of a technical nature that wades into fringe details, like where a bullet ended up after it left the barrel. Only circumstantially related, don't let it trouble you too much and don't forget to reload!

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 27, 2014

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bhaal posted:

That poor loving kid. Something tells me she's not going to grow up into a guns-are-fun enthusiast like her parents had hoped.

When I was around that age I was put through a gun safety course (mostly geared for hunters-to-be but that's not why my parents enrolled me) and taken out to the range reasonably often, but even then the overwhelming theme was always "guns are loving serious, more than a little scary, and each one of them in an instant could end anybody's life. Never for a second believe they're a toy"

Also I absolutely love the criticisms of, "Well, it's not THAT he handed a loaded Uzi to a nine year old and encouraged her to spray downrange. It's HOW he did it...". Yes, we dare not suggest that a 2nd grader going full auto might not be the best idea. Obviously it's a great idea, for all possible worlds.

It's almost as if half of this country is fully convinced that there is no bad bullet that could ever come out of the chamber: the world can only be enriched by each expression of freedom. That the problem with guns is only ever one of a technical nature that wades into fringe details, like where a bullet ended up after it let the barrel.

You know it's because they fetishize guns as totems of Second Amendment Rights, right? Literally, every bullet ever fired is an expression of FREEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHMMMMM!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

There's 500 gallons of piss labelled with the words 'the sound a wet fart makes' and a picture of ted cruz next to 500 gallons of apple juice and instead of letting people complain endlessly about the existence of the piss you're telling them to just ignore it and go on drinking apple juice!

quote:

Have you ever been in a house that had something just egregiously wrong with it? Something massively unsafe and uncomfortable and against code, but everyone in the house had been there a long time and was used to it? "Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you, there's a missing step on the unlit staircase with no railings. But it's okay because we all just remember to jump over it."

Some people are like that missing stair.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Trabisnikof posted:

I've had female lobbyists tell me that (unfortunately) if you can't handle some light groping then you probably won't last long.

Every politico male I've met can probably only work in politics because if they tried to find a real job they'd be slapped with an EEO suit in short matter of time.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radish posted:

So in other words, "I made a special cake for you to ruin, it's over there"

Phone posted:

Supposedly this happened at an Arizona tourist trap called (I poo poo you not) "Burgers and Bullets". I've seen the video leading up to the kill-shot and I'm surprised this guy didn't blow his own head off sooner. Anybody who knows enough about firearms to run a shooting range should know that an uzi is notoriously difficult to handle and a child has no business shooting one, especially not in full-auto mode. Apparently this guy didn't know any better, because as soon as the kid shoots one round with it he eagerly switches it to full-auto and tells her to let 'er rip.

There are people out there who have a healthy respect for guns and treat them like tools, and there are people who don't and treat them like toys. This guy was obviously the latter.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bhaal posted:

This is more or less how I learned to shoot when I was growing up as well, with a single-shot bolt action Savage .22. My father was insistent that, while shooting can be an enjoyable hobby and a great deal of fun, it's nevertheless nothing to take cavalierly because if you do, someone can easily end up dead. It mystifies* me that anyone would allow someone that young to handle a submachinegun, particularly one like the Uzi which you need to have some beef behind it to keep under control.

*"mystifies" in the sense that I technically get why it happened, and yet am still confounded that anyone would be that dumb.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Bhaal posted:

That poor loving kid.

That was my thought. I can't imagine what the hell she is going through.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Supposedly this happened at an Arizona tourist trap called (I poo poo you not) "Burgers and Bullets".

I just watched a video and they said it was the 'last stop' gun range. Fitting, I guess.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 27, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
But are the stairs insulated? This is important.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That whole shooting range story is really just a big fat Darwin Award isn't it? Yeah kids, whatever, if anything maybe this scarring incident will prevent her from whatever moronic indoctrination her parents were clearly attempting.

Meanwhile the idiot "Bullets & Burgers" instructor who thinks it's okay to give a nine year-old a loving Uzi learns an important lesson about guns not being a consumer toy.

Win/win for humanity, frankly. Just unfortunate that the moron had to die and the little girl has to have a scarring memory to underscore the obvious.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is more or less how I learned to shoot when I was growing up as well, with a single-shot bolt action Savage .22.
Ditto.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is more or less how I learned to shoot when I was growing up as well, with a single-shot bolt action Savage .22. My father was insistent that, while shooting can be an enjoyable hobby and a great deal of fun, it's nevertheless nothing to take cavalierly because if you do, someone can easily end up dead. It mystifies* me that anyone would allow someone that young to handle a submachinegun, particularly one like the Uzi which you need to have some beef behind it to keep under control.

*"mystifies" in the sense that I technically get why it happened, and yet am still confounded that anyone would be that dumb.

Between this and the Cops sound technician getting one to the dome...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this,36131/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What 9-year old with an Uzi story are you guys talking about? Is that this month's school shooting?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Shear Modulus posted:

What 9-year old with an Uzi story are you guys talking about? Is that this month's school shooting?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28948946

Girl was at a shooting range, instructor had her fire an Uzi on full auto.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shear Modulus posted:

It's all over the news wires, unfortunately there's no Let Me Google News That For You, yet. (e: not being snarky, it's all over news aggregators)

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 27, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

I had to google it up too:

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2014/08/new_jersey_girl_with_uzi_accidentally_kills_firearms_instructor_in_arizona.html

Hold on to your seats, it involves people from New Jersey and Arizona.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theshim posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28948946

Girl was at a shooting range, instructor had her fire an Uzi on full auto.

What the gently caress

e: Re: Not seeing it, I spent a few minutes clicking around on NYTimes and couldn't find it on the front page so I figured it was more obscure than the typical gun+child tragedy.

e2: I mean seriously who hands a 9 year old a machine gun on full auto I didn't shoot a gun until my early 20s and I stuck with dinky little pistols and shotguns for ages.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 27, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Phone posted:

Between this and the Cops sound technician getting one to the dome...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this,36131/

Aren't automatic weapons easy to get a hold of in former USSR countries? Every time someone brings this up I can't help but internally debate the usual questions about gun accessibility vs a broken culture being more to blame.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phone posted:

A gun instructor letting a 9 year old girl fire a weapon full auto, even an Uzi, should've known better (including standing right by her like he did) but now he can't make the same mistake twice and the girl gets to spend her life knowing she killed someone due to the instructor's own incompetence. I hope the gun range has to pay for all the thearpy that girl's going to need now.

When I was taught to fire a rifle it was a 22/410 combo thing and single shot and I was probably 8 or 9 at the time(my brother fired a shotgun when he was 9 or 10 and him describing the kick kept me from wanting to try it). If someone had offered to let me fire a full auto weapon when I was 9 my parents would've ripped them several new assholes because guns are not goddamn toys and unless you're training a child soldier you have no reason to let this poo poo take place. There's not reason children in the US should be handling full auto weapons. It should be illegal but good loving luck with that while the NRA's out there whoring for gun manufacturers and riling up millions of idiots for are freedoms.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George Holding's (R-NC) press staff could probably put a little more effort into the fight against ISIS.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

never mind.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
STOP
EVIL MUSLIM
BOOGEYMAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

When I was taught to fire a rifle it was a 22/410 combo thing and single shot and I was probably 8 or 9 at the time(my brother fired a shotgun when he was 9 or 10 and him describing the kick kept me from wanting to try it). If someone had offered to let me fire a full auto weapon when I was 9 my parents would've ripped them several new assholes because guns are not goddamn toys and unless you're training a child soldier you have no reason to let this poo poo take place. There's not reason children in the US should be handling full auto weapons. It should be illegal but good loving luck with that while the NRA's out there whoring for gun manufacturers and riling up millions of idiots for are freedoms.

The NRA really have gotten themselves into a perfect political position. They say they're for responsible gun ownership, but any sort of effort, legislative or otherwise, to promote actually responsible gun ownership and not just sell as many guns as possible is shouted down like it's the end of the world.

Imagine if the energy lobby had convinced everyone that they're for emissions reductions and increased efficiency, but were even more apocalyptic in their pronouncements that raising efficiency standards or any EPA action was just step one on Obama's plan to take away all of our cars and electricity.

• Locked thread