Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

NtotheTC posted:

is there a command to dislay a notification on screen in tandem with this so I can show whether voice is enabled/disabled?

You could add a 'sayteam ~' to it. No one but you will know what it means.

edit:

astr0man posted:

You could add an echo with some con_filter magic for when you toggle on and off like this guy does here for the damage notifications:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221277004

Holy moly

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Just wondering: How many people have both been silver for a considerable amount of time and also read the OP? If people are reading that and still not getting out of silver then I take it as a personal failure and need to do something.

I'm silver elite and have read the OP. I have been playing for the last month and chalk up most of my gaffs to lack of map knowledge/game sense. I'm sure my aim could use work, but I think that the lack of general knowledge in peaking, economics, proper grenade use etc. is really holding me back. I'm sure some of the guys I play with would have other things to say on the matter.

It should be noted that this is my first time with a serious multiplayer FPS of any kind, especially on the PC. I'm not sure if that helps me or hurts me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I read the OP and I'm still unranked. I refuse to play competitive unless its with goons now, and no one ever wants to play because i'm unranked. On the upside I drat near won a deathmatch with just a knife earlier.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

App13 posted:

I'm silver elite and have read the OP. I have been playing for the last month and chalk up most of my gaffs to lack of map knowledge/game sense. I'm sure my aim could use work, but I think that the lack of general knowledge in peaking, economics, proper grenade use etc. is really holding me back. I'm sure some of the guys I play with would have other things to say on the matter.

It should be noted that this is my first time with a serious multiplayer FPS of any kind, especially on the PC. I'm not sure if that helps me or hurts me.

Yeah if you're new to FPSs in general this game is the 'thrown into the deep end while holding a cinder block'

On the bright side if you decide to go over to pretty much any other multiplayer fps you're gonna run the show.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Untrustable posted:

I read the OP and I'm still unranked. I refuse to play competitive unless its with goons now, and no one ever wants to play because i'm unranked. On the upside I drat near won a deathmatch with just a knife earlier.

I'll help you get ranked. What's your steam name?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
edit: overshared.

bpower fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 27, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Necc0 posted:

[ASK] Astr0 & I about the time we played with a guy who literally only had one arm.

How about Adventuros adventures with Handiman(-arms -legs)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

astr0man posted:

You could add an echo with some con_filter magic for when you toggle on and off like this guy does here for the damage notifications:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221277004

drat, this would be perfect if it was possible to put in a delay command in a macro, so I could delay turning off the developer var until after the message had had time to display on screen :(

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you don't care about anything else in console you can just leave developer 1 always on and con_filter out everything except for the damage reports and your own echoes.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

astr0man posted:

If you don't care about anything else in console you can just leave developer 1 always on and con_filter out everything except for the damage reports and your own echoes.

Aye my worry is that I might occasionally want to see other console text. Having said that I could just bind another key to a script that sets/unsets all the con_filters and also turns developer on and off, and toggle that if I ever need to read something else in the console.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Just wondering: How many people have both been silver for a considerable amount of time and also read the OP? If people are reading that and still not getting out of silver then I take it as a personal failure and need to do something.

After reading the OP and messing around for ~10 hours in deathmatch I placed in silver elite. Maybe 20 hours total in CS. I have a guy on my friends list who can't seem to rank past silver 2, which is mind boggling to me.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Necc0 posted:

I didn't get out of silver elite until I got a computer that could play at more than a max of 25FPS.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

I didn't get out of silver elite until I got a computer that could play at more than a max of 25FPS.

I'm pretty sure it's my 60Hz monitor holding me back.

This is my justification for a new monitor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been all the way up to double AK and back down to silver and let me tell you, my constant nova-only games are worth it.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Silver is the place to be.

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

is there a command to dislay a notification on screen in tandem with this so I can show whether voice is enabled/disabled?

You can use bind p "toggle voice_scale 0 1"

When it's muted you still see your teammates voice icons so you can tell when its off

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

I'll help you get ranked. What's your steam name?

Splendorman. I'm part of the goon group and I'll probably be on later tonite. Right now my wife and I are playing the walking dead.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I don't play often. I have about 30 wins. I win more often than not. Mostly I blame my aim- I generally know what to do when the enemy is sighted and how to rotate safely. That's one thing- I see a lot of stuff like CTs rotating from B site on d2 through tunnels to reinforce A. I can't count how often I have just sat in tunnels and killed a guy for free as he runs through. Same goes for people rotating from ramp to A/outside or something on Nuke. Wouldn't it always be safer to rotate through where your own team has better control? Eg do ramp->heaven->wherever on nuke unless you already have a teammate in lobby?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I mean CS definitely feels better than a moba, in that it feels much easier for a good player to carry a bad team, so it seems like it should be more meritocratic. I dont think there are many cases of hidden gems being held back by idiot teammates.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Release Notes for 8/27/2014

[GAMEPLAY]
- Added positional audio support for players using Mumble voice chat.
- Fixed case where sniper scope blur was not accurately representing full sniper weapon inaccuracy when scoped.
- Fixed a bug where in some cases a bullet didn't know it had penetrated a player hitbox if it started by penetrating another surface first and hadn't exited before "hitting" the hitbox.
- Fixed weapon damage falloff distances getting reset every time a surface was penetrated, which allowed weapons to shoot farther than they should if they penetrated an object first (like the sawedoff).
- Terminated birthday party.
- Increased Zeus price to 400.

[MISC]
- Fixed a regression with fov_cs_debug convar.

[MAPS]
- Mirage
-- Removed various unintended boost-spots
-- Moved some flowers at top of mid

- Overpass
-- Updated based on feedback and observations from ESL One Cologne
--- Removed tall sandbags near Bombsite B which could be used to two-man boost onto and peek/shoot into T water
--- Added a intended boost spot in its place, where you can two-man boost. Wall near position is bangable from both sides.
--- Removed boost on green wall in playground
--- Removed position on toilet mid entrance which could be used to get an angle on toilet entrance
--- Fixed some spots where C4 could get stuck
--- Removed grass on low cover near Bombsite A which obstructed peeking
--- Changed some textures and lighting to improve visibility and reduce environment noise
--- Moved lightpost at entrance to Bombsite A to remove gap
--- Closed off hut at Bombsite A
--- Railing outside of squeaky door no longer blocks bullets or grenades

- Rush
-- Various balance tweaks, optimizations and bug fixes

- Insertion
-- Added unique sounds for each spawn

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Necc0 posted:

- Added positional audio support for players using Mumble voice chat.

Woah Wow Woah

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Fat Lou posted:

Woah Wow Woah

What does that mean?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I was just going to ask that same thing because Mumble fuckin' owns.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

mcvey posted:

What does that mean?

If someone talks in mumble it makes their talking sounds like it is coming from their character in CS:GO. If your teammate is on your right it sounds like they are etc. At least, that is what people say.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Gonna have to get used to Grips sounding like he's always behind me(in game, on scoreboard, and irl).

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

mcvey posted:

Gonna have to get used to Grips sounding like he's always behind me(in game, on scoreboard, and irl).

You have your computer pointed north? So do I!

Edit: Also...

- Insertion
-- Added unique sounds for each spawn

"AT THE HILL WITH THE BIRDS SOUND! NO, WRONG ONE, THAT ONE HAS BEAR NOISES!"

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 28, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Fat Lou posted:

You have your computer pointed north? So do I!

Always towards Mecca

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Blizzard is loving us again

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Fat Lou posted:

If someone talks in mumble it makes their talking sounds like it is coming from their character in CS:GO. If your teammate is on your right it sounds like they are etc. At least, that is what people say.

Does that mean that you cant hear them if they're too far away...

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp

whalestory posted:

Does that mean that you cant hear them if they're too far away...

This whole thing just sounds like it would be so distracting in game

E: like if they are at a different bomb site and it just played in your right headphone

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

mliecah posted:

This whole thing just sounds like it would be so distracting in game

E: like if they are at a different bomb site and it just played in your right headphone

Yeah its really neat and immersive in massive sandbox type games like rust and minecraft, but it just seems like any worth youd derive from it in cago gets quashed by just calling positions properly

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Necc0 posted:

I just reread the op and was like okay im ready lets do this and then our team went 1-10 and I dc'd and ehh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mcvey posted:

I laughed out loud. Thanks.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
Not a big fan of the new scope blur on the AWP. I get why they did it, but I just think it's annoying. I already walk around unscoped with an AWP a lot, this is just gonna make me do it more.

Edit: Also, the mumble positional audio has been around in other games for a long time. It's just a novelty though, and is never as functional as you want it to be. Not worth it, in my opinion.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Coleman posted:

Not a big fan of the new scope blur on the AWP. I get why they did it, but I just think it's annoying. I already walk around unscoped with an AWP a lot, this is just gonna make me do it more.

Edit: Also, the mumble positional audio has been around in other games for a long time. It's just a novelty though, and is never as functional as you want it to be. Not worth it, in my opinion.

It's basically made it impossible for me to quickscope people now because I can't figure out where the gently caress the center of the screen is since it's blurry so much longer.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

FetalDave posted:

It's basically made it impossible for me to quickscope people now because I can't figure out where the gently caress the center of the screen is since it's blurry so much longer.
Eh, I never really quick scoped with the crosshair, it's mostly all just gutshot instinct from me for quick scopes, so that doesn't really factor in for me, just while moving it really bothers me.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2XeFj4Pmc

Valve tribute to the master.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

That owns. Now they need to add a tribute to that pasha headshot to dust2s elevator.

Also: conspicuous lack of comment about the state of the MM servers

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That spray is baller as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

[GAMEPLAY]
- Terminated birthday party.
- Increased Zeus price to 400.

fuckin

Coleman posted:

I was just ingame messing around with bots, and didn't notice anything when I walked around with my AWP scoped in. Does this make the blur last a little longer when I stop or something?

• Locked thread