Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mom posted:

how hard would it be to cross into syria from turkey

Depends who you cross for.

And yeah Sedan Chair, after a certain point people don't care if they die, as long as you give them some water first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

mom posted:

Caro managed it twice and he was paranoid schizophrenic, but I think they've cracked down since then.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I would keep fighting to the bitter end and leave a round in the chamber for myself if it came to it. Better than being tortured, dehuminised and executed imo.

Sounds like the surrounded Filipino UN troops are doing just that.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/un-peacekeepers-seized-by-syrian-militants-on-the-golan-heights-20140829-10a2qm.html posted:

While the UN continues to seek the release of its peacekeepers on the Golan Heights, the Philippine army said in a statement that militants had surrounded the Philippine contingent's encampments with Fijian hostages in tow and demanded that the Filipino troops surrender their firearms.

"The Philippine peacekeepers held their ground and demonstrated their resolve to defend their positions," it said. "They did not surrender their firearms as they may in turn be held hostage themselves."

The Security Council issued a statement strongly condemning the seizure of the peacekeepers and calling for their immediate release. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon echoed the council word's in his own statement of condemnation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fanatic posted:

I would keep fighting to the bitter end and leave a round in the chamber for myself if it came to it. Better than being tortured, dehuminised and executed imo.

Sounds like the surrounded Filipino UN troops are doing just that.

Pictures from that story seem to be trying to indicate it was ISIS but the Golan Heights is all the way on the other side of the country, so my guess it is likely to the the Islamic Front and/or SRF.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
It's JaN, the other jihadists.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/al-nusra-front-captures-syrian-golan-heights-crossing-747933668

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I've been aware of Caro and his crazy exploits for a while now but I never really knew anything more specific than "Went to Libya, then went to Syria, now missing", so now after a little google I see that he actually fought alongside Libyan rebels? I was sure he was only playing journalist.

Did he go to Syria to fight alongside the loyalists or was he going to join the rebels/al-Qaeda/whoever? Does anyone even know?

What a crazy guy. Assuming that he isn't dead and someday turns up well and safe, wouldn't he be tried for treason in the US?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What a crazy guy. Assuming that he isn't dead and someday turns up well and safe, wouldn't he be tried for treason in the US?

He is. Starved to death in a regime prison.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

He is. Starved to death in a regime prison.

Source? Can't find much new info about him past 2012.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't think anything definitive made it out, but correlatíng his position, rebel affiliation and the usual survival rate of regime prisoners, he's toast. If we have not heard from him at this point, there's just no hope he made it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Source? Can't find much new info about him past 2012.

I think I'm the source of that. There's two people who independently of each other said the saw him in Branch 215, half-starved, tortured, and begging people to kill him. The FBI are looking into it, as well as at least one journalist.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I think history shows the "beaten or surrounded enemies fight desperately to the death" phenomenon to be pretty rare. Rare enough that when it happens it often becomes a historical event. And back in those days, people under siege could pretty much expect to be put to the sword, to the last man.

Sometimes it was solely for the benefit of those who weren't soldiers. Romans would certainly loot a city they captured, but they'd leave it intact if only so they could loot it again later. If you gave them a hard time and resisted entreaties to surrender, though, you could look forward to every man, woman, and child inside enslaved/killed, then the city itself turned into a no-man's land.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Morning news from Chicago, some schlub was driving around flying an ISIS flag and made a bomb threat when his vehicle was pulled over. I'm glad LEO is on the lookout for ISIS flags.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Morning news from Chicago, some schlub was driving around flying an ISIS flag and made a bomb threat when his vehicle was pulled over. I'm glad LEO is on the lookout for ISIS flags.

ISIS? Excuse me Officer but this is clearly an al-Shabaab flag. I've been into jihad for years before those takfiri hipsters on twitter.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mom posted:

:laffo: ISIS throws people in prison over selling cigarettes, and cut their own guys hands off for stealing in a punishment called hadd. Probably not the best place to be a broken addict. Caro tried going through Turkey, and the last place he was seen was here.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fanatic posted:

I just want to point that everyone says this. Doing it is a different matter.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: ISIS throws people in prison over selling cigarettes, and cut their own guys hands off for stealing in a punishment called hadd. Probably not the best place to be a broken addict. Caro tried going through Turkey, and the last place he was seen was here.

I think its best to learn from the pumpkin thread and Caro by not answering any specific question related to obtaining access to a potential conflict zone without a specific reason. Call it an overabundance of caution if you will, I'd rather not indirectly assist anyone's plans to enter ISIS territory with my posts.

I'm opening myself up to a sick burn in there, somewhere.

E:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just want to point that everyone says this. Doing it is a different matter.

There far too often comes a point in life where the only options are 'Surrender and drink water, then die' or 'Die from dehydration.' If you're going to die, far better to relieve the thirst first. At least that'll be one last, fleeting moment of fulfillment, rather than the horrid wasting where one feels their eyes drying blind, gluing themselves into ever-receding sockets, and not having the energy to blink.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 29, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Volkerball posted:

They don't gently caress around with second hand smoke.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
There was an NPR report the other day about how the PKK holds a large portion of the Turkish side of the border with Syria and the watch towers were abandoned.

Also today is Friday, so there should be a slew of new YPG/PKK videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWuzcKdHnc

look ma I can shoot! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYg4xBBsKA

I saw this the other day, it almost looks photoshopped. I'm not sure why giving the Kurds Katyushas is a good idea, though. The video reminds me of the Iranian missile launch photo shop scandal.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 29, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheBalor posted:

Sometimes it was solely for the benefit of those who weren't soldiers. Romans would certainly loot a city they captured, but they'd leave it intact if only so they could loot it again later. If you gave them a hard time and resisted entreaties to surrender, though, you could look forward to every man, woman, and child inside enslaved/killed, then the city itself turned into a no-man's land.

Also, militaries tend to be hierarchical, so if the boss says to stack your weapons in the corner and open the gates, that's what you do. Presumably he negotiated some form of safe passage or guarantees for the soldiers, right? Right? Where we going, guys? They said that ISIS executed some of the officers a few days earlier, do we know what happened to the commanding officer at the garrison?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've been aware of Caro and his crazy exploits for a while now but I never really knew anything more specific than "Went to Libya, then went to Syria, now missing", so now after a little google I see that he actually fought alongside Libyan rebels? I was sure he was only playing journalist.

Did he go to Syria to fight alongside the loyalists or was he going to join the rebels/al-Qaeda/whoever? Does anyone even know?

He fought with the rebels (got his hand on a sniper rifle) and played medic too (didn't bother telling anyone he wasn't actually a *trained* medic though). Nothing like getting operated on by a noted schizophrenic.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Pimpmust posted:

He fought with the rebels (got his hand on a sniper rifle) and played medic too (didn't bother telling anyone he wasn't actually a *trained* medic though). Nothing like getting operated on by a noted schizophrenic.

Goondom was well represented in that war, then?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Torpor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYg4xBBsKA

I saw this the other day, it almost looks photoshopped. I'm not sure why giving the Kurds Katyushas is a good idea, though. The video reminds me of the Iranian missile launch photo shop scandal.

That's from some Iskander footage from Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zCzPzCiCE

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Didn't he *train* himself as a medic from youtube videos?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

mom posted:

Too hard for someone to safely do it who has to ask SA. And really, there is no safely doing it, even for pros. Easiest way is to just join ISIS, but you better be a drat convincing "revert."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cochise posted:

To be fair there probably weren't very many trained medics available.

Honestly I respect an adventurer, the kind of guy who goes out to fight a war without the confines of the US Army. A proud tradition from the Spanish Civil War.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cochise posted:

Why bother with that? Just read up on Hegel's posts on the military history thread about folklore cures for bullet wounds on the 16th century and hope for the best.´

Bring tons of rabbit foots with you.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
'Are we content with eating Nando's every week? Come to the land of jihad and shout Allah.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3Bo5haD6Q

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well. Here's to hoping he's not being tortured anymore, at the very least.

I guess he was just a crazy mofo with some balls of steel. A shame nobody could stop him before he threw his life away and earned himself a dosage of unimaginable suffering, and who knows what damage he actually wrought to others.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

cochise posted:

You don't need to know much to be more effective than the standard militia care, which is loading the wounded on a pickup and driving to the nearest hospital.

Assuming you take the "first, do no harm" seriously and know your limits.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Eating at Nando's? Almost as bad as having to live under an extreme religious dictatorship.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

Their laws should give you some hints, some peculiarly specific stuff:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/1075assyriancode.asp

Fun people.

I have this strange feeling that it was better at some point, several thousand years ago, and then there was some upheaval in the social and sexual structure of society, where far out edge attitudes asserted themselves and all these rules specifically meant to protect the sweet baby heart of a man began to find traction.
Every single one of those listed bows to the War Machine archetype.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Some Kurdish media are reporting fighting between IS supporters and Iranian security forces in Iranian Kurdistan. Can you confirm/deny, kustomkarkommando?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rotacixe posted:

You don't need to know much to be more effective than the standard militia care, which is loading the wounded on a pickup and driving to the nearest hospital.

Assuming you take the "first, do no harm" seriously and know your limits.

This. It'd be like laughing because a guy trained himself on UXO disposal watching youtube videos and went to Syria. He'd probably be a leading expert on it there. Same is potentially true with Caro. It's not like you can't learn the basics of treating shock and various types of trauma on youtube. Just knowing CPR would save lives. Of course, he was insane, so I don't have much faith in his curriculum he put together.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Has no one mentioned the "Laptop of Doom" that all the major networks are freaking out about?

quote:

Abu Ali, a commander of a moderate Syrian rebel group in northern Syria, proudly shows a black laptop partly covered in dust. "We took it this year from an ISIS hideout," he says.

Abu Ali says the fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), which have since rebranded themselves as the Islamic State, all fled before he and his men attacked the building. The attack occurred in January in a village in the Syrian province of Idlib, close to the border with Turkey, as part of a larger anti-ISIS offensive occurring at the time. "We found the laptop and the power cord in a room," he continued, "I took it with me. But I have no clue if it still works or if it contains anything interesting."

As we switched on the Dell laptop, it indeed still worked. Nor was it password-protected. But then came a huge disappointment: After we clicked on "My Computer," all the drives appeared empty.

Appearances, however, can be deceiving. Upon closer inspection, the ISIS laptop wasn't empty at all: Buried in the "hidden files" section of the computer were 146 gigabytes of material, containing a total of 35,347 files in 2,367 folders. Abu Ali allowed us to copy all these files -- which included documents in French, English, and Arabic -- onto an external hard drive.

The laptop's contents turn out to be a treasure trove of documents that provide ideological justifications for jihadi organizations -- and practical training on how to carry out the Islamic State's deadly campaigns. They include videos of Osama bin Laden, manuals on how to make bombs, instructions for stealing cars, and lessons on how to use disguises in order to avoid getting arrested while traveling from one jihadi hot spot to another.

But after hours upon hours of scrolling through the documents, it became clear that the ISIS laptop contains more than the typical propaganda and instruction manuals used by jihadists. The documents also suggest that the laptop's owner was teaching himself about the use of biological weaponry, in preparation for a potential attack that would have shocked the world.

The information on the laptop makes clear that its owner is a Tunisian national named Muhammed S. who joined ISIS in Syria and who studied chemistry and physics at two universities in Tunisia's northeast. Even more disturbing is how he planned to use that education: the ISIS laptop contains a 19-page document in Arabic on how to develop biological weapons and how to weaponize the bubonic plague from infected animals.

"The advantage of biological weapons is that they do not cost a lot of money, while the human casualties can be huge," the document states.
The document includes instructions for how to test the weaponized disease safely, before it is used in a terrorist attack. "When the microbe is injected in small mice, the symptoms of the disease should start to appear within 24 hours," the document says.

The laptop also includes a 26-page fatwa, or Islamic ruling, on the usage of weapons of mass destruction. "If Muslims cannot defeat the kafir [unbelievers] in a different way, it is permissible to use weapons of mass destruction," states the fatwa by Saudi jihadi cleric Nasir al-Fahd, who is currently imprisoned in Saudi Arabia. "Even if it kills all of them and wipes them and their descendants off the face of the Earth."

When contacted by phone, a staff member at a Tunisian university listed on Muhammed's exam papers confirmed that he indeed studied chemistry and physics there. She said the university lost track of him after 2011, however.

Out of the blue, she asked: “Did you find his papers inside Syria?” Asked why she would think that Muhammed’s belongings would have ended up in Syria, she answered, “For further questions about him, you better ask state security.”

An astonishing number of Tunisians have flocked to the Syrian battlefield since the revolt began. In June, Tunisia’s interior minister estimated that at least 2,400 Tunisians were fighting in the country, mostly as members of the Islamic State.

This isn't the first time that jihadists have attempted to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Even before the 9/11 attacks, al Qaeda had experimented with a chemical weapons program in Afghanistan. In 2002, CNN obtained a tape showing al Qaeda members testing poison gas on three dogs, all of which died.

Nothing on the ISIS laptop, of course, suggests that the jihadists already possess these dangerous weapons. And any jihadi organization contemplating a bioterrorist attack will face many difficulties: Al Qaeda tried unsuccessfully for years to get its hands on such weapons, and the United States has devoted massive resources to preventing terrorists from making just this sort of breakthrough. The material on this laptop, however, is a reminder that jihadists are also hard at work at acquiring the weapons that could allow them to kill thousands of people with one blow.

"The real difficulty in all of these weapons ... [is] to actually have a workable distribution system that will kill a lot of people," said Magnus Ranstorp, research director of the Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies at the Swedish National Defence College. "But to produce quite scary weapons is certainly within [the Islamic State's] capabilities."

The Islamic State's sweeping gains in recent months may have provided it with the capacity to develop such new and dangerous weapons. Members of the jihadi group are not solely fighting on the front lines these days -- they also control substantial parts of Syria and Iraq. The fear now is that men like Muhammed could be quietly working behind the front lines -- for instance, in the Islamic State-controlled University of Mosul or in some laboratory in the Syrian city of Raqqa, the group's de facto capital -- to develop chemical or biological weapons.

In short, the longer the caliphate exists, the more likely it is that members with a science background will come up with something horrible. The documents found on the laptop of the Tunisian jihadist, meanwhile, leave no room for doubt about the group's deadly ambitions.

"Use small grenades with the virus, and throw them in closed areas like metros, soccer stadiums, or entertainment centers," the 19-page document on biological weapons advises. "Best to do it next to the air-conditioning. It also can be used during suicide operations."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...ction_exclusive

Considering that the Pentagon couldn't figure out how to weaponize the bubonic plague (lol) it kinda amuses me that CNN et al. are flipping out at the prospect of bubonic plague grenades. It was kinda hard to keep a straight face when they were talking about that, and unless I've missed something I'm not exactly overly concerned about IS' chemical weapon ambitions.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

:derp:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Has no one mentioned the "Laptop of Doom" that all the major networks are freaking out about?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...ction_exclusive

Considering that the Pentagon couldn't figure out how to weaponize the bubonic plague (lol) it kinda amuses me that CNN et al. are flipping out at the prospect of bubonic plague grenades. It was kinda hard to keep a straight face when they were talking about that, and unless I've missed something I'm not exactly overly concerned about IS' chemical weapon ambitions.

It sounds like some detailing the contents of my laptop.

Regarding Caro's medical training, I think it was pretty much learning how to insert a drip from YouTube, then what he learnt on the job. He spent a lot of money on medical supplies, and got samples of Celox from the company who made it, I think in the end he said he had about $40,000 of credit card debt when he eventually was booted out of Libya.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Isn't strapping bioweapons to explosives and grenades kind of...dumb? Wouldn't the fire and heat from the explosion just kill whatever bacteria was attached?

I'd always assumed bioweapons deployment was more aerosol dispersal-ish.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well. Here's to hoping he's not being tortured anymore, at the very least.

I guess he was just a crazy mofo with some balls of steel. A shame nobody could stop him before he threw his life away and earned himself a dosage of unimaginable suffering, and who knows what damage he actually wrought to others.

He didn't have balls of steel, he had a fairly severe mental illness. It went untreated, and he was just sane enough to get himself wrapped up in something far beyond his ken. As a completely untrained medic, who knows if he actually even helped the people he 'operated' on.

I guess it just bothers me to see the guy lionized. I remember his crazy rear end posts in GiP and everyone telling him that he was completely out of his mind. Even more shocking was when he actually went. It's sad, really.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

He didn't have balls of steel, he had a fairly severe mental illness. It went untreated, and he was just sane enough to get himself wrapped up in something far beyond his ken. As a completely untrained medic, who knows if he actually even helped the people he 'operated' on.

I guess it just bothers me to see the guy lionized. I remember his crazy rear end posts in GiP and everyone telling him that he was completely out of his mind. Even more shocking was when he actually went. It's sad, really.

He would have been a flameout going through nonstop therapy. At least this way he had something to be remembered for. This was his calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't the bubonic plague be treated?

• Locked thread