Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kurtofan posted:

Can't the bubonic plague be treated?
Yes, and with modern sanitation its threat is not nearly what it was when it devastated Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kurtofan posted:

Can't the bubonic plague be treated?

Quite easily. 7 days of antibiotics and you're good to go. Still has a ~10% mortality if treated but you can do prophylaxis if exposed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This is all a hilarious overreaction is what I'm getting at here.

I mean come on. Terror Laptop of Doom. It's like lovely 80s sci fi.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Bubonic plauge weaponized?

There is quite a bit of historic precedent, the Siege of Kaffa being pretty infamous here, and may well have been the most 2successfull" bioweapon usage in history.

The Imperial Japanese army also experimented with it and definitly used it against China, it likely tried to use it against the Soviet Union (both due to more serious Soviet resistance against Japanese military incursions, Soviet restrictions on civilian movement and due to much lower population density, efforts against them were far less successfull if they happened). It did succeed in causing several epidemic plague outbreaks in Chinas Chengde province.

Biologically, Y.Pestis can resist phagocytosis and the virulent strains apperantly gently caress up the hosts biological economy by producing humongous amounts of aspartic acid, and can under some circumstances multiply inside of a Makrophage while being eaten and kill the Makrophage. This renders it into a very tough opponent for the immune system.

It can be pretty easily treated by a variety of antibiotics (Streptomycin works really well), some of these are pretty cheap and fairly easily synthesized.

To actually murder a large amount of people with it, you would have induce pneumonic plague which is way more contagious. IIRC this thankfully hasnt been managed yet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The Anarchist's Cookbook Terror PDF of Doom

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

Some Kurdish media are reporting fighting between IS supporters and Iranian security forces in Iranian Kurdistan. Can you confirm/deny, kustomkarkommando?

Lots of talk about it anyway, primary source seems to be this and twitter boasting - not much confirmation yet. That says fighting up west of Urmia which used to be prime recruiting ground for Kurdish Islamist groups back in the early 2000's.

A chunk of fighters from Ansar Al-Islam (a predominately Kurdish Islamist group who operate along the Iran-Iraq border) just gave bay'ah to ISIS a couple of days ago, that's a bit far north for them though but they have developed a web of sympathizers on the Iranian side of the border. Could be connected?

I did see one tweet which mentioning Marivan which is more in the ballpark for potential Ansar Al-Islam supporters

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 29, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Could the plague talk be a red herring? I mean, it seems like now would be about the easiest it's ever been to collect some Ebola samples, especially for a suicidally motivated group with lots of manpower and enormous resources

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Did it also have a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook and DOOM II?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

wheez the roux posted:

Could the plague talk be a red herring? I mean, it seems like now would be about the easiest it's ever been to collect some Ebola samples, especially for a suicidally motivated group with lots of manpower and enormous resources

Ebola is really scary but given how slowly it spreads it's a lot less deadly than just using guns and knives.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rocks posted:

Did it also have a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook and DOOM II?
ISIS can turn your computer into a bomb

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The third edition of the Islamic State's Dibaq magazine has just been put online. It contains what's claimed to be a statement from James Foley, some of which appears in the video

quote:

My name is James Wright Foley and I am an
American citizen. This is a message to the US
government and people.

The purpose of this message is not to appeal
for my freedom. This is because many chances
were given to my government and family to negotiate
for my release, all resulting in failure on
the part of my government and family.

My captors have made many efforts to ensure
a successful arrangement. From amongst these
efforts is that they made strict conditions on my
family and loved ones not to go to the media
with my case.

The reason for this condition was so that the US
government could come to a quick and discreet
arrangement and thus secure my release without
having to face public embarrassment and
openly oppose their practice of not negotiating
with supposed terrorists.

This proved very successful in the negotiations
for some of my fellow prisoners who were citizens
of European countries that openly share a
similar “zero tolerance” view on negotiating with
supposed terrorists.

However, all said governments executed the demands
for the release of their citizens while I and
the other Americans hopelessly waited for selfish
politicians who
are void of any compassion to decide
our fate.
My fellow inmates and I were not captured simply
to be killed or held inevitably for no reason.
Just as many Muslims from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia,
Yemen, Libya and other Muslim countries
are currently prisoners of the US government
with many cases being of questionable legality
according to US law, we, the American people are
also victims of our government’s foreign policy.

Our government, for the last 13 years has
stretched our military around the Muslim world
to interfere in their affairs. They have killed in the
name of “preserving life,” tortured and raped in
the name of “humanity,” destroyed in the name
of “rebuilding,” and ruined the lives of millions of
people. They have incurred a great debt of blood
and wealth and it will be you and me, the average
citizens, who will inevitably pay the price of their
crimes.

Today our government is continuing its onslaught
on the Muslim lands once again with its aerial
bombardments on some of the largest cities of
Iraq, killing and wounding many.

As I speak here before you, I call on you to wake
up and take your lives and the lives of your children
into your own hands. Do not allow yourselves
to be pawns in the hands of politicians so
they can decide whether you live or die!

And remember, it could very easily be you in my
place tomorrow!
(This section onwards is on the James Foley video)
I call on my friends, family and loved ones to rise
up against my real killers, the US government,
for what will happen to me is only a result of
their complacency and criminality.

My message to my beloved parents is, save me
some dignity and do not accept any meager
compensation for my death from the same people
who effectively hit the last nail into my coffin
with their recent aerial campaign in Iraq.

I call on my brother John, who is a part of the
US air force, to think about what he’s doing and
how his work destroys the lives of many people
including that of his own family.

I call on you John, to think about whoever made
the decision to bomb Iraq recently and kill those
people, whoever they might have been. Think
John. Who is it they really killed? And did they
think about me, or you, or our family and how
that decision is going to affect us?

I died on that day John. When your colleagues
dropped those bombs, they signed my death
certificate!

I wish I had more time. I wish I could have the
hope of freedom and seeing my family once
again. Unfortunately, that boat has sailed.
Now all I can say is that I wish I were from some
other country whose government actually cares
about its citizens.

I guess all in all, I just wish I wasn’t American.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 29, 2014

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Getting your hands on any sort of bacterial pathogen would be trivial, get some water samples from some Bangladeshi sewer and isolate pandemic cholera strains for probably <100$ of equipment, get C.botulinum from badly canned food, catch the right squirrel in North America for bubonic plague etc. Then infect a couple people and watch them get treated with antibiotics, minimal casualties, see post 2001 anthrax attacks.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Brown Moses posted:

The third edition of the Islamic State's Dibaq magazine has just been put online.

That sure is an "interesting" magazine.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

The third edition of the Islamic State's Dibaq magazine has just been put online. It contains what's claimed to be a statement from James Foley, some of which appears in the video

Actually kind of scary stuff. Thanks for posting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

On page 38 they claim a dozen European prisoners were released after they met the Islamic States demends, leaving on US and British hostages in their hands.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Brown Moses posted:

On page 38 they claim a dozen European prisoners were released after they met the Islamic States demends, leaving on US and British hostages in their hands.

Reminds me of some nytimes article about how much money was being given to various such groups to release European hostages, among other things.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well that was a disturbing read. Gives a good look at their psyche I guess, but I'll leave that to the real analysts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I keep saying this every time I see this stuff but I will repeat it again. Seeing this much good design and craft put to use for that kind of savagery and mentality is incredibly depressing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:DIRTY BOMBS:siren:

:spooky:BIOWEAPONS:spooky:

:choco: EXPERT INTERVIEWS

:eyepop:OUR RATINGS THROUGH THE ROOF

ISIL knows how to play the game, logistics be damned. They want to be the monster under your bed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Any particular reason why IS consider the Peshmerga to be Zionists?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably related to why Russians call those who oppose them fascists.

Or why America calls anyone we don't like communists/terrorists (depending on skin tone).

Or why Israel calls anyone who criticizes it antisemitic.

It's the easy "Powerful Other" that resonates with the population/constituents so they are immediately on board with what you're saying, regardless what the truth might be.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
The PressTV interview with the Islamist fighter that had left the Islamic State to fight with Jabhat al-Nusra was sadly kind of funny, where he describes IS and its methods as being too radical even for him, a veteran jihadist. "Everyone is kuffar with these people"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Because they're idiots.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ That too

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They are 'secular' nationalists who don't believe in government by the one true religion.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ISIS cares about Zionists? They seem so happy with killing Muslims.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

McDowell posted:

:siren:DIRTY BOMBS:siren:

:spooky:BIOWEAPONS:spooky:

:choco: EXPERT INTERVIEWS

:eyepop:OUR RATINGS THROUGH THE ROOF

ISIL knows how to play the game, logistics be damned. They want to be the monster under your bed.

Yes, certainly. It is a little fishy that their TOP SECRET BIOWEAPON RESEARCH CENTER laptop was just abandoned to the FSA, and that (presumably) Muhammed S. himself was chilling in a border village rather than somewhere more secure if they are truly preparing to dedicate serious resources and personnel to bioweapon development. Given how out in the open ISIS is anyway I wouldn't be surprised if all of this was intended to be released.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I could see it happening. Didn't some journalists in Afghanistan accidently buy a used computer at some electronics store with a bunch of AQ or Taliban secrets on it?

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
As cold as it sounds I don't understand the cultural differences with those European countries enough to get why their governments are willing to pay millions of dollars to terrorist organizations just to save a handful of lives. Do the people support those decisions? It just seems shortsighted.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

Yes, certainly. It is a little fishy that their TOP SECRET BIOWEAPON RESEARCH CENTER laptop was just abandoned to the FSA, and that (presumably) Muhammed S. himself was chilling in a border village rather than somewhere more secure if they are truly preparing to dedicate serious resources and personnel to bioweapon development. Given how out in the open ISIS is anyway I wouldn't be surprised if all of this was intended to be released.

I'm not sure if they are puppet masters, they could very well be interested in these things (because the TV has been saying for 10+ years that this is what we are afraid of). But obtaining, let alone weaponizing these things is different from talk.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Bahrain just denied Maryam Alkhawaja entry, claiming she doesn't have citizenship.

She's Bahraini.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

eSports Chaebol posted:

Ebola is really scary but given how slowly it spreads it's a lot less deadly than just using guns and knives.

The history of chem / bio weapons is basically this. Same thing with Syrian chemical weapons; lots of words spent talking about things that have caused less than a fraction of a percent of the total deaths while conventional weapons kill hundreds of thousands. This has always been the case though, WWI for the classic example- only 88,000 of the 8.5 million casualties deaths were from chem weapons.

Of course, needless to say, chem/ bio weapons are completely awful, it's just that their effectiveness has always been greatly exaggerated- they are weapons that are far more valuable for the terror they cause than actually being more dangerous than the average conventional weapon. See also dirty bombs.

tsa fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 30, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well Israel has supported Kurdish rebels in Iraq since the 60s, and has voiced support for the Kurds recently.

By that definition a good chunk of the world is Zionist, so maybe its something deeper, or they just thought it was a mean thing to say.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xandu posted:

Bahrain just denied Maryam Alkhawaja entry, claiming she doesn't have citizenship.

She's Bahraini.
Citizenship Revoked?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cardboard Box A posted:

Citizenship Revoked?

I'd call it indefinitely misplaced, if anything.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Taking their cues from Cameron etc?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

tsa posted:

The history of chem / bio weapons is basically this. Same thing with Syrian chemical weapons; lots of words spent talking about things that have caused less than a fraction of a percent of the total deaths while conventional weapons kill hundreds of thousands. This has always been the case though, WWI for the classic example- only 88,000 of the 8.5 million casualties deaths were from chem weapons.

Of course, needless to say, chem/ bio weapons are completely awful, it's just that their effectiveness has always been greatly exaggerated- they are weapons that are far more valuable for the terror they cause than actually being more dangerous than the average conventional weapon. See also dirty bombs.

The reason they're banned is pretty much entirely because they are ineffective. Using them is causing suffering for the sake of causing suffering, which is hosed up even by the standards of war.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Is there still evidence of arms shipments direct from Russia arriving in Syria? I ask because a small story in a recent issue of an aviation magazine details that RAC MiG has (at some stage, it cites a corporate annual report for 2011) completed upgrades to 4 of Syria's MiG-29 fleet. It also mentions that Russia intends to continue with the delivery of Yakovlev Yak-130 trainers to the Syrians, starting this year. I can't see how they would be able to actually get these aircraft into Syria without at least some difficulty.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

People always mess this up. Yes, chemical weapons aren't an effective weapon in a military setting. But I challenge you to find any attack on a civilian populace hiding in their basement that can be as deadly as dumping a bunch of sarin or VX on their neighborhood, that isn't flat out scorched earth tactics. It's a fraction of a percent, but the barrel bombings and conventional bombings have been a daily occurrence for years. There's only been one major chemical attack, and a handful of extremely small scale ones. Assad killed the entirety of Protective Edge in a matter of hours. As far as massacres go, it's in the top 5 of all during the Syrian war, and it definitely required the least amount of effort of all those. As far as terrorism with the intent of killing as many people as possible goes, chemical weapons are much more dangerous than conventional weapons.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

As far as terrorism with the intent of killing as many people as possible goes, chemical weapons are much more dangerous than conventional weapons.

Thankfully Assad has surrendered most of his chemical arsenal so IS would have to manufacture their own CW (unless someone sells it to them) and then find a way to get it into countries that have spent tons of money for the past decade to prevent that kind of smuggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

McDowell posted:

Thankfully Assad has surrendered most of his chemical arsenal so IS would have to manufacture their own CW (unless someone sells it to them) and then find a way to get it into countries that have spent tons of money for the past decade to prevent that kind of smuggling.

I'm thankful that at least somebody believes Assad has surrendered most of his chemical arsenal.

• Locked thread