Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty solid crumple on Neifel's part.

In the sense that he's fallen back to begin the truly tenacious defense?

Or, just... crumpling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Willie Tomg posted:

Or, just... crumpling?

He lost his capital and his Pretender is an SC who isn't going to be able to actually defeat OPs Pretender in her own dominion. Niefelheim is completely hosed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey modpud I am having problems finding the mod you are using for this LP. Could you share with us where to get it?

Edit: Nevermind I am an idiot and didn't realise it was packaged with Dominions Are Dumb. But I still don't seem to be getting the same magic paths as you when I test it by copying your Pretender. I am confus.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 1, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Willie Tomg posted:

Or, just... crumpling?

This is not the greatest and best neifelheim play in the world; this is just a tribute.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

He's obviously planning a Dom-trap to catch the Monkey pretender in his dominion. Then crush the Monkeys and drown the world in frost giants.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Basically Niefelheim put a lot of eggs into his Son of Niefel basket and modpud did the sensible thing in response to that which was go around the Son of Niefel.

Being caught out at his cap with the Son of Niefel unable to defend it was a huge strategic error.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Hey modpud I am having problems finding the mod you are using for this LP. Could you share with us where to get it?

Edit: Nevermind I am an idiot and didn't realise it was packaged with Dominions Are Dumb. But I still don't seem to be getting the same magic paths as you when I test it by copying your Pretender. I am confus.

I don't know if it's packaged with dominions are dumb, but the last version of awesomeishgods that I actually released is right here. I've quit working on it though, the current dominions meta is bless-heavy enough without giving every pretender 2-3 points in their starting paths to make it even easier/cheaper to get a big stupid bless, and enough things are hardcoded that I can't do all the things I want to to the different pretenders

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/awesomeishgods0_26.rar

I did recently finish a much more conservative attempt to balance pretender choices out a little, by making the human pretenders cheaper, more effective mages, and making a lot of the overpriced non-titan pretenders cheaper. Here's a link, if anyone cares

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/pudmod%20pretenders%200_02.rar

I'll probably tweak it further before I put some games up using it, though. Not sure if I went far enough in making the dinky puny humans worthwhile

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

I don't know if it's packaged with dominions are dumb, but the last version of awesomeishgods that I actually released is right here. I've quit working on it though, the current dominions meta is bless-heavy enough without giving every pretender 2-3 points in their starting paths to make it even easier/cheaper to get a big stupid bless, and enough things are hardcoded that I can't do all the things I want to to the different pretenders

I did recently finish a much more conservative attempt to balance pretender choices out a little, by making the human pretenders cheaper, more effective mages, and making a lot of the overpriced non-titan pretenders cheaper. Here's a link, if anyone cares

I'll probably tweak it further before I put some games up using it, though. Not sure if I went far enough in making the dinky puny humans worthwhile

What I would like is a mini-balance mod to balance the units. I'm saying "mini" here, I know there are thousands of units: there should be touched only the 2% that feel most unbalanced. Between them, some of the units I would like to touch up are the best blessed units. You know you have a balance problem if your army is just 100 soldiers of the same unit type, and actually it's the most efficient thing to do. Even with a bless strategy being valid there should be more in troop composition than "just amass x type of unit". Ideally to win battles a more balanced army should be used. But I think it really comes down to making more important changes in how combat works and that would be for Dominions 5, with luck.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It was only packaged with a single version of dominions are dumb and then I removed it because the mod was dumb enough anyway. Then I stopped updating DaD because it was a bad mod.

Now I'm working on a spellpack mod to bring lots of cool spells to Dominions! Did you know you can blink enemy units? Or, uh, just the entire battlefield? :D

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

What I would like is a mini-balance mod to balance the units. I'm saying "mini" here, I know there are thousands of units: there should be touched only the 2% that feel most unbalanced. Between them, some of the units I would like to touch up are the best blessed units. You know you have a balance problem if your army is just 100 soldiers of the same unit type, and actually it's the most efficient thing to do. Even with a bless strategy being valid there should be more in troop composition than "just amass x type of unit". Ideally to win battles a more balanced army should be used. But I think it really comes down to making more important changes in how combat works and that would be for Dominions 5, with luck.

There almost always is more to troop composition than "mass x type of unit". At the higher levels of play that's virtually never correct to do. A mixed army is almost always better in virtually every circumstance except when you're dealing with, say, specific powerful summons.

There are a lot of "bad" units, however.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

There are a lot of "bad" units, however.

Yeah Dominions is a bit like rock paper scissors, except there's also a thousand other options and they all lose to rock-paper-scissors.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jon Joe posted:

It was only packaged with a single version of dominions are dumb and then I removed it because the mod was dumb enough anyway. Then I stopped updating DaD because it was a bad mod.

Now I'm working on a spellpack mod to bring lots of cool spells to Dominions! Did you know you can blink enemy units? Or, uh, just the entire battlefield? :D

Could you Phoenix Pyre the entire battlefield?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

StoryTime posted:

Could you Phoenix Pyre the entire battlefield?

Hypothetically, yes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can you take everyone's weapons away and make them fight with sticks and stones?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Can you take everyone's weapons away and make them fight with sticks and stones?

Sadly, no.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
With a mod you can totally do that.

It would be tedious as gently caress but you could do it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

With a mod you can totally do that.

It would be tedious as gently caress but you could do it.

He means as a spell, I'm pretty sure.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
It is totally possible to break everyones armor, or break everyones armor for only the other side.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo
In case anyone else was interested in Dom4 it's currently included on a Steam sale for about $25

namad
Nov 7, 2013
What a master stroke. Niefel really must have committed the lion share of his forces to the attack on mictlan. Somehow naively believing his border with you would be safe during his few turns of vulnerability. I guess timing really is everything.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well it's probably more like, Niefel can't win against Mictlan+Lanka regardless so he might as well go all-in against Mictlan and assume Lanka isn't going to attack

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

garth ferengi posted:

Thanks! My current goal is to get my poo poo down right in this game so I can join in some of these fun looking matches so I wanted to be using the same mod as everyone else right from the start.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just popped in to say that D4 is on sale for $25 this week on Steam.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Once Modpud gets to the point where I finally die (Spoiler alert: I totally die) I'll go over the situation and why I crumpled so bad. Well, in addition to that I am bad at this game.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 26: That's How People Grow Up

Oh no, Pangaea was decided to attack us and took almost 30 income worth of provinces!!

I'm honestly surprised he decided to do this, ilu xuande said that he has pulled back to get his new troops ready since the army he had was totally insufficient, but Pangaea definitely cannot afford to fight both of us at once, even with most of our army to the east. Lobbing toads at him probably didn't help though.

We can recruit/summon a force that is almost certainly enough to wipe out his entire force in a turn or two, by digging deep into our blood slave reserves, which I'm totally fine with doing. The asrapa that I've been summoning probably won't be enough to deal with those centaurs without the aid of spells that I haven't researched yet, so we're going to need to go with rakshasa warriors, who take the same magic paths to summon for the same amount of units(blood 2 and 5 units), so we can make them just as fast as asrapa, they're just over twice as expensive.

Ha ha ha ha ha

I'm pretty sure he's not killing anything important, but I'm going to try to have him snipe the commander of Pangaea's white centaurs this turn. If they're left floundering and leaderless for even a single turn, it'll make my life slightly easier.

These guys are in between our main army and that northern Niefelheim fortress.

We lost a single Palankasha to that scary werewolf. Their pretender fled without a fight.

Our forces are assaulting their southern fortress.

A gaggle of grammas and a few garden gnomes stand in their way.

Garden gnomes are a special mage that the throne the fortress is built to protect allow you to recruit. They're not very special, we'll recruit a few because we need decent earth mages, but they have a slap attack that shrinks people.

Grammas are great. They're absolutely fantastic mages for casting magic rituals, even if they're not the best combat mages. They're good researchers, too.

A single gana for 7 mages, 3 of whom are slow to recruit, and all of whom are quite expensive, is a pretty fantastic deal. I hope Niefelheim keeps letting us make trades like this!

Our main army continues north, while the undead horde that just seized Dubros is going to head east. However, our scouts report a somewhat scary stack on the fortress in Alman.

Skrattir are those scary werewolves that keep dying without accomplishing anything, in their giant form. 20 mages is a pretty scary group of units no matter what, but if half of them are werewolves with giant axes that will happily crush our skeletons and massacre our ganas, that won't be great. I'm not sure if our force can deal with it, if I don't think they can I'll break off a chunk of our main army to help them. Angerboda the Great Hag is one of Niefelheim's heroes, I believe.

The only real problem with rain of toads is that we have to deal with the huge amounts of unrest after we win. We can't recruit anything out of Niefelheim or Dubros because the unrest is far too high, and we can't afford to send troops to patrol it away. I'll get around to it eventually.

This is the front with Pangaea right now. I'm expecting the forces in Druid Land and The Forgotten Woods to push to Amul, so I'll be sending our army at Gwyrth to intercept. Our pretender is coming down south so that she can bless our entire army once it leaves our capital, and within her own dominion she's a fantastically powerful combatant in her own right, she could probably take on a significant amount of blessed white centaurs by herself. That priest in the southeast has been switching between raising the dead and building temples for about a year, I'm planning on slowly moving him out east to build temples in Niefelheim's territory, which will be our safest land soon.

I haven't decided where our army will be marching to, but chances are we'll have to break a siege on Gwyrth by the time they get ready to move, and we'll probably be limited by available supplies as well, since all of our bags of wine are with the main army(although I'll have a chance to take some from them in 2 turns, assuming they storm Sonria successfully).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Angerboda is a pretty sweet mage: with level 2 or 3 in all four of the sorceries. Excellent for site searching, rituals, and forging boosters for your lesser mages.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
What size of map and number of players do most multiplayer games go for? The complexity of like four players on a small map starts ramping up quickly after year 2, and some of those map options in the menu have 200+ map squares and support a ton of players. I just spent 2 hours getting my rear end kicked by the AI and the tedium with organizing wizards and moving troops and assigning them all orders to avoid getting trashed by hordes of fliers was quickly mounting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrower posted:

What size of map and number of players do most multiplayer games go for? The complexity of like four players on a small map starts ramping up quickly after year 2, and some of those map options in the menu have 200+ map squares and support a ton of players. I just spent 2 hours getting my rear end kicked by the AI and the tedium with organizing wizards and moving troops and assigning them all orders to avoid getting trashed by hordes of fliers was quickly mounting.

The game involves a lot of micromanagement and it tends to scale up with larger map sizes. Probably better to start small for your first few games, on a map that supports 3-4 players or so.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Most goon games are in the 8 to 12 player range with 13 to 15 provinces per player in terms of map size.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The manti actually did have a purpose beyond dying a lot which is their primary role.

Flavahbeast took a vampire queen which has awe, fear, regen and invulnerability which makes it extremely good at killing my mostly garbage troops. Manti are mindless (ignore awe and fear) and have magic weapons (ignore invuln). They are actually a really affordable way to kill vampires in melee.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The manti actually did have a purpose beyond dying a lot which is their primary role.

Flavahbeast took a vampire queen which has awe, fear, regen and invulnerability which makes it extremely good at killing my mostly garbage troops. Manti are mindless (ignore awe and fear) and have magic weapons (ignore invuln). They are actually a really affordable way to kill vampires in melee.

That's actually really smart and good.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

dead lp

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

no u r ded

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 27: What Difference Does It Make?

Oh dear, Pangaea took almost 50 income worth of provinces this turn!

(For reference, we are making 1090 gold a turn right now. Ha ha ha have fun with all of those provinces with like 10 people living in them)

I accidentally had our piles of atavi archers sneaking instead of moving like our undead, which is great, because they would've gotten slaughtered by white centaurs otherwise! I guess Pangaea has finally realised that their troops are sneaky?

This is what a Mound King is, by the way. They only cost 3 death gems to summon and can lead 80 undead/demons, so they're very efficient for making our piles of undead patrol and keep unrest down.

I'm not sure who Iconium was, but they weren't the leader of those White Centaurs who I wanted stopped. Not a big deal though, I won't get mad about a dead enemy commander at no cost to us.

Pangaea has approximately 40 white centaurs attacking us, so I'm taking another turn to summon troops to stop them. I'll be summoning even more rakshasa warriors, and will be depleting the entirety of our blood slave stockpile. Those white centaurs are terrifying, and I'd like to outnumber them at least 3:1 with our sacreds, in addition to our massive piles of undead and archers.

I'm expecting to lose our fortress at Gwyrth before I'm able to slap our army together, but that's okay, we can always take it back.

Our army in Decla is meeting up with our pretender down in Fowanshire, just in case those white centaurs decide to attack it. I don't think they'll bother though. Our army in Sonria is storming the castle this turn, and our undead are heading east to Alman. I still haven't seen Niefelheim's pretender anywhere since last turn, hopefully he doesn't pop up somewhere inconvenient. After we take Sonria, I might send some troops down south to take Alman if I'm afraid that I can't storm the castle with our undead, but otherwise we'll be heading west to take Mictlan's former lands.

ilu xuande had to back off temporarily while he finished some research, but he has said that he'll be resuming his attack this turn. Pangaea might be gigantic, but they should fall apart pretty quickly, once we both bring our armies to bear.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

drat Pan looks terrifying on that map.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lots of lovely forest.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

cool dead thread

Turn 28: Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Another 50~ income of provinces lost.

More White Centaurs than I'd like to see. That makes more than 50, so Pangaea is definitely attacking us with their full strength. Hopefully we can do this.

We'll be losing Gwyrth, but that's okay. As long as we don't lose our throne or lose the game entirely, I'm fine with temporarily losing whatever lovely provinces Pangaea might want.

I'm breaking the siege of The Rusty Badlands with most of our western army next turn. Our pretender is just moving to Ironwood Forest, and I'm sending small groups of archers to recapture Stone Heavens and Gold Mountains.

This went fine. But wait, where was their pretender?

Well, gently caress. He's actually got gear now.

Government Gets Girlfriends just can't catch a break, loving slayers keeping him down

I'm splitting the army that just took Sonria into 4 parts, all led by a raksharaja. 3, with 10 palankasha each, will be heading south, west, and east to start cleaning up Niefelheim's provinces before I try to murder his pretender. The largest, made up of everything else, will also be heading south, taking back the province we just lost to Niefelheim and beelining for their last fortress, hopefully killing their pretender in the process. What's that weird rear end book thing, you might be wondering?

A story event! These are pretty new, I've never seen this particular one before. I have no idea how it's triggered, so I'm leaving a scout behind to patrol and a mage to research in the hopes of keeping it moving along without anything bad happening.

It looks like Pangaea has even more white centaurs up in Mictlan's former capital, so I'm not sure how things are going to develop. I'm expecting the pile of white centaurs in Yrik Balkor to move north and link up with them, and I'm content to let them run rampant up in the north while I finish off Niefelheim and take care of the rest of Pangaea's army in my heartland. Things are looking last great than they were last turn, but I'm still not super worried. What will be worrying is if Pangaea realises that stealth is actually really good and powerful and starts actually sneaking around and attacking things that aren't on the front line.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That book reads like a dwarf fortress storyline event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That's the Halls of the Mountain King event which is a pretty good event; the eventual result is either you pillage the Mountain King's treasure and get a ton of gold and gems and ~3 random items or you leave him alone in which case you get the Halls of the Mountain King site which gives +1 earth gem and +50 gold per month. Before you do either though you can send either Earth or Air mages (or adventurers) to try and sneak in and steal some treasure from the Mountain King; e3 or a3 mages will be caught about one out of 4 times and if caught there seems to be about a 50/50 chance that you trigger the 'pillage the Halls' event or that the mage just retreats to try again later.

It's by far the most profitable story event; raiding the halls typically gives at least 2k+ gold but does require you kill a bunch of trolls and the Mountain King himself.

• Locked thread