Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Xandu posted:

So this British guy does security work for NGOs and also works for a Croatian kitchen supply company. So weird.

http://hr.linkedin.com/pub/david-haines/23/26/876

He does have a ridiculously specific name, I was googling early to see if he was listed in any bylines and all I got was that linkedin and a company registration page for that business. Apparently they specialize in grills and ice cream machines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

is it related to the clashes out by Tell Abyad?

Sounds like it.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Also, BBC World News started a segment this morning with the headline "Human Rights Watch claims it may have evidence that ISIS has committed war crimes."

I'm not even sure I need to comment on that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The UN is a platform for the world's nations to sit down and talk. I think without the UN we wouldn't get much done. I don't think it's entirely useless. Just sorely lacking when it comes to stopping atrocities.

Yeah, I would agree with this. The UN isn't useless, it just has a limited set of skills to apply to world problems. Some things it handles very well, but it's powerless in any military situation.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xandu posted:

So this British guy does security work for NGOs and also works for a Croatian kitchen supply company. So weird.

http://hr.linkedin.com/pub/david-haines/23/26/876

Pff kitchens are just a code word for some really shady backdoor weapons stuff obviously

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Just sorely lacking when it comes to stopping atrocities.

That is almost entirely the point of the UN, though. It is bad at doing the one thing it's supposed to do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Factory posted:

That is almost entirely the point of the UN, though. It is bad at doing the one thing it's supposed to do.

The entire point of the UN is to prevent WWIII.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Volkerball posted:

Then really the focus should be Ukraine and not ISIS. ISIS is not going to start WWIII before Ukraine.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I was under the impression that would be an atrocity. And the UN wouldn't be able to stop WWIII because that assumes anyone that could start WWIII would be thinking rationally, which they obviously wouldn't be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Friendly Factory posted:

I was under the impression that would be an atrocity. And the UN wouldn't be able to stop WWIII because that assumes anyone that could start WWIII would be thinking rationally, which they obviously wouldn't be.

If somebody is absolutely determined to act, no one could stop them. The point of the UN is to have a common platform where everyone can talk and interact, thus defusing minor issues before they build into something tragic - a la WWI.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

Then really the focus should be Ukraine and not ISIS. ISIS is not going to start WWIII before Ukraine.

I was wrong. It's not the "entire" point, but it is the biggest. The UN also hasn't been uninvolved in Ukraine. And keep in mind that Russia and the US are on opposite ends of the spectrum in Syria as well, and it's been just as much of a wedge between the two countries as Ukraine, if not more so, so the Syria situation being resolved is a big deal from the UN's standpoint.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I would agree with this. The UN isn't useless, it just has a limited set of skills to apply to world problems. Some things it handles very well, but it's powerless in any military situation.

I agree with this conception of the UN's purpose. The problem is that it then does things like send peacekeeping troops into war zones who are at best ineffectual and at worst get kidnapped or killed.

Note that I don't intend to lump UNRWA in with this.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm not going to watch either video, but I know BM and others have seen it. So does the 'Sotloff' video fade-out as the last one supposedly did, or do they show the whole gruesome ordeal? I am worried that since some people questioned the fading-out of the last video that IS would let the whole thing play out in this one.

Is it believed that the executioner in this one is the same as Foley's?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It does fade out in the same way, no blood is visible while he's cutting. It appears to be the same guy too.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I read a description that said the voice seems slightly computerized this time around, perhaps in response to attempts to use voice analysis to identify the guy after the Foley video. BM, does that seem accurate?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm not sure prevent and stop in this context are entirely synonymous. Stopping implies things are already in motion, and it would require an active effort to turn back, while prevention is making sure it never reaches that point in the first place. I don't have a problem believing a world without the UN would have seen more tension between the US and the USSR, resulting in more close calls like the Cuban Missile Crises or Able Archer, any one of which might have progressed far enough to trigger WWIII.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Volkerball posted:

I was wrong. It's not the "entire" point, but it is the biggest. The UN also hasn't been uninvolved in Ukraine. And keep in mind that Russia and the US are on opposite ends of the spectrum in Syria as well, and it's been just as much of a wedge between the two countries as Ukraine, if not more so, so the Syria situation being resolved is a big deal from the UN's standpoint.

Except Ukraine is on the doorstep of Europe and has a competent military (vs Russia). Syria being in the ME and the rebels being a guerrilla force makes it a bit less to boil over into WWIII.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Shaocaholica posted:

The UN's focus has clearly been on Ukraine, and not ISIS. The Security Council has consistently kept NATO out of direct conflict with Russia, in spite of ongoing tensions due to the conflict. Comparatively, the UN has had virtually no reaction to ISIS.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

No, that's not the point of the UN at all, and saying it is makes me think you don't know what you're talking about.

The purpose of the UN is (was?) to stop WW3. It was to provide a negotiating table between the USA and the USSR. Not to gently caress around in third world shitholes and prevent tinpot dictators for massacring people.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

icantfindaname posted:

No, that's not the point of the UN at all, and saying it is makes me think you don't know what you're talking about.

The purpose of the UN is (was?) to stop WW3. It was to provide a negotiating table between the USA and the USSR. Not to gently caress around in third world shitholes and prevent tinpot dictators for massacring people.

They should at least come out and say it rather then pretending to care about those places. Maybe someone else can fill that void.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Just The Facts posted:

They should at least come out and say it rather then pretending to care about those places. Maybe someone else can fill that void.

Perhaps something with League in the title. League is a good word. A League of Places.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

Perhaps something with League in the title. League is a good word. A League of Places.

Or we just let people bitch about their ineffectiveness.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Generally the UN doesn't go around suppressing every violent insurgent group that pops up, peacekeepers generally are meant to oversee and police treaties between conflicting parties with some additional wiggle room in regards to protecting the civilian population/creating the conditions for a ceasefire (see UNPROFOR). Their role in mopping up anti-government insurgent groups in Africa (specifically the DRC) is still pretty contentious, they're not going to send a UN force in to deal with ISIS.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Senator Bill Nelson said he will file legislation approving airstrikes against isis in Syria.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Friendly Factory posted:

Such conflicts have to be nipped in the bud, back when they're still mostly insignificant. Once things start to escalate, then the UN is powerless since at its core it's a diplomatic tool.

There's no way to know how many tragedies have been averted thanks to the UN.

That one of the Great Powers (also known as permanent members of the UNSC, though admittedly the lineup is getting a bit dated) decides to be a bully, there's no stopping them. They're a great power. What do you want to do, start WW3?

When a small local power decides to be a bully, the UN allows the Great Powers a way to decide to intervene or not, without inadvertently triggering WW3 because Great Power A wants to intervene but Great Power B is allied to local bully and wants them to proceed unhindered. E.g.: Iraq's invasion of Kuwait was responded to by a NATO coalition acting with the approval of the UNSC. Russia didn't decide that Saddam Hussein was important enough to their interests to defend him. On the other hand, Syria's gassing of rebellious populations got no response because Russia wanted to protect Bachar el-Assad, so the USA and allies dropped the matter.

Something like ISIS is a special case. ISIS isn't a nation. The UN can certainly be used to gain international consensus on sending troops to defeat them, but that's all. And of course, it depends on willingness of nations to do that.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The UN just doesn't do anything without a massive amount of resolutions and I think Russia will veto any resolution because they don't want the US meddling in Syria any more than it already is.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Korak posted:

The UN just doesn't do anything without a massive amount of resolutions and I think Russia will veto any resolution because they don't want the US meddling in Syria any more than it already is.

Russia is pretty happy with the status quo, yes, but the calculus may change if ISIS keeps making gains against Assad at the rate they are.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Shear Modulus posted:

Russia is pretty happy with the status quo, yes, but the calculus may change if ISIS keeps making gains against Assad at the rate they are.
The other interesting thing is that there are roughly 1,000 or more Chechen rebels in ISIS controlled territory currently. Russia could be persuaded to get involved because of that factor.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I'm actually surprised Russia didn't begin airstrikes in Syria in the same fashion the US is conducting in Iraq. Sure they would have caught hell in the beginning of the conflict, but if they hit ISIS positions now I can't imagine anyone would complain.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Korak posted:

The other interesting thing is that there are roughly 1,000 or more Chechen rebels in ISIS controlled territory currently. Russia could be persuaded to get involved because of that factor.

Various reports are saying that the Chechens are an enormous military asset for ISIS.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Just The Facts posted:

I'm actually surprised Russia didn't begin airstrikes in Syria in the same fashion the US is conducting in Iraq. Sure they would have caught hell in the beginning of the conflict, but if they hit ISIS positions now I can't imagine anyone would complain.

Pretty sure they would've if the US didn't.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gregor Samsa posted:

Various reports are saying that the Chechens are an enormous military asset for ISIS.

Some of this is overblown. People talk a lot about the experience the Chechens and Bosnians bring with them, while kind of shrugging off that ISIS themselves have been at war for over a decade. I'm sure they are helpful, and guys like al-Shishani have even become important leaders, but I don't think it's crucial support that ISIS couldn't do without by any means.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
A brief but interesting oped in the NYT from several professors working in Near Eastern archaeology (including the director of the Penn Cultural Heritage Center, an organization almost exclusively occupied at the moment with helping to improve the treatment of archaeological heritage in Syria and Iraq) about another source of income for ISIS: the looting and export of archaeological heritage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/opinion/isis-antiquities-sideline.html?_r=3

The most interesting part:

quote:

ISIS does not seem to have devoted the manpower of its army to the active work of looting archaeological sites. Rather, its involvement is financial. In general, ISIS permits local inhabitants to dig at these sites in exchange for a percentage of the monetary value of any finds.

The group’s rationale for this levy is the Islamic khums tax, according to which Muslims are required to pay a percentage of the value of any goods or treasure recovered from the ground. ISIS claims to be the legitimate recipient of such proceeds.

The amount levied for the khums varies by region and the type of object recovered. In ISIS-controlled areas at the periphery of Aleppo Province in Syria, the khums is 20 percent. In the Raqqa region, the levy can reach up to 50 percent or even higher if the finds are from the Islamic period (beginning in the early-to-mid-seventh century) or made of precious metals like gold.

The scale of looting varies considerably under this system, and much is left to the discretion of local ISIS leaders. For a few areas, such as the ancient sites along Euphrates, ISIS leaders have encouraged digging by semiprofessional field crews. These teams are often from Iraq and are applying and profiting from their experience looting ancient sites there. They operate with a “license” from ISIS, and an ISIS representative is assigned to oversee their work to ensure the proper use of heavy machinery and to verify accurate payment of the chums.

Can't help but laugh at the idea of an ISIS representative making sure that no one hurts themselves while operating a backhoe.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just The Facts posted:

I'm actually surprised Russia didn't begin airstrikes in Syria
You should probably look at Syria on a map and then work out for yourself why Russia didn't begin airstrikes there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

MeinPanzer posted:

A brief but interesting oped in the NYT from several professors working in Near Eastern archaeology (including the director of the Penn Cultural Heritage Center, an organization almost exclusively occupied at the moment with helping to improve the treatment of archaeological heritage in Syria and Iraq) about another source of income for ISIS: the looting and export of archaeological heritage.

They probably aren't the only ones exporting that stuff. It happened in Iraq and Libya too. Also Egypt, though a very different situation there.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Can't help but laugh at the idea of an ISIS representative making sure that no one hurts themselves while operating a backhoe.

I thought they were referring to not destroying artefacts by going crazy with the heavy machinery (since they are getting a cut of the profits).

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Just The Facts posted:

Air strikes with what and from where?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Xandu posted:

They probably aren't the only ones exporting that stuff. It happened in Iraq and Libya too. Also Egypt, though a very different situation there.

Yes, it's sadly widespread, and is common in countries like Pakistan as well. I think that the key here is that ISIS is in a unique position to loot and transport across international borders artifacts from one of the richest archaeological regions in the world, and will probably continue to do so for a long time. They have free reign to loot much of the Fertile Crescent and a perfect opening across the border with Turkey to reach international buyers.

quote:

I thought they were referring to not destroying artefacts by going crazy with the heavy machinery (since they are getting a cut of the profits).

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but the statement makes it sound like ISIS has foremen ensuring everyone has had proper training or something.

I'm a grad student as the University of Pennsylvania (at which two of the professors who wrote that article teach) and have many friends doing archaeological work in the Near East, and the situation is particularly depressing at the moment. Most scholars working in Iraq were forced to work in Syria after 2003, and many also worked tirelessly to try to recover the scraps of those objects looted from Iraq after 2003. Now Syria has become worse than Iraq was in the most brutal days of the insurgency, and much of Iraq is reverting to its state in the mid-2000s, with artifacts flowing out of both countries. I know of four grad students who were working over the summer in Kurdistan, still before recent events pretty much the only safe place to work in Iraq as an archaeologist, and who had to either leave altogether or move their projects to Turkey; the status of their work is now completely up in the air for the 2015 season. Sadly, Turkey has also become increasingly harsh on foreign archaeologists, often arbitrarily taking away projects from well-respected foreign scholars and generally making it difficult to come into the country to do archaeological work.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 3, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MeinPanzer posted:

Would the ISIS version of Staplerfahrer Klaus have more or less decapitations than the original video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cippalippus posted:

Air strikes with what and from where?

The United States' ridiculous force projection capabilities make folk thinks that any powerful country can bomb wherever they want, whenever they want.

• Locked thread