Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

A 500$ interface for 500$ software. You can't just buy monarch and play it with that, you have to buy Komplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AxeBreaker posted:

A 500$ interface for 500$ software. You can't just buy monarch and play it with that, you have to buy Komplete.

This isn't actually true, you can buy Monark whenever you want.

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag. The lights above the keys showing chords and scales is kinda cool but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels and, again, it costs 600 goddamn dollars.

I'm pretty happy about them adding an arpeggiator in Maschine 2.2 though.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

Hi guys. I bought a Volca keys and am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself wanting a different sound than I can currently get out of that or the Volca bass.

So I went window shopping at Guitar Center, and after some (lovely, half competent) help played with some of the more highly recommended analog synth's . The Korg MS-20 mini, Arturia MiniBrute, and the Moog Sub Phatty. They all seemed to get the best sounds down low, not up higher like I was looking for, and they all seemed to do harsh/gritty better than smooth. Maybe it was just me. I liked the Moog the most and the Korg the least, although I didn't get to play with the patch bay on that one. But I like one synth better than all of them and it was (ugh) digital.

It was a Roland Gaia SH-01. Now I figured out part of it- it had some effects on and they helped. Maybe I could get that with the keys. The other part was the tons of different wave forms it had since it is analog emulation. I also liked the feel of the keys.

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

It's poo poo. It's not analog emulation though, it's all analogue but it's analogue poo poo. (Unless you're talking about the Aira System 1) Like it's probably the only thing worse than the microkorg poo poo. It's got a few tricks like the delay and phaser that you mentioned, but things like getting routed into mono when oscillator sync is on, the external in being routed after filters, effects, and envelopes which literally ever other synth with an external in has it's kind of a disappointment.

Also, I agree with you that the Arturia only does bass really well (why I'll be selling mine when it gets back) but the Moog and especially the Korg? Try doing things like putting some delay in the attack and release of the envelope, adding a hint of portamento, and messing with the resonance and not cutting the low pass filter completely to really make them sing outside of bass sounds. Also, try the Ultranova. It's like the microkorg but better in pretty much every way imaginable, has lots of effects, plus it not only has external in (which you can route through the filters and effects, but they also act as a 2in4out audio interface which will save you like $200.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's poo poo. It's not analog emulation though, it's all analogue but it's analogue poo poo.

Gaia is sampled waveforms, nothing analog about it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Swagger Dagger posted:

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag.

High-quality keyboard, shitload of colored lights, huge LED scribble strip. Yeah, it's not cheap and most likely v2 will be better but I'm still interested.

quote:

but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels

These can do a bit more than pitch/mod (you could for instance move the mod strip all the way up, release, and then have the modulation act like a bouncing ball).

Here, have something else that's not cheap with no pitch/modwheels: http://www.modulus.me/

AxeBreaker posted:

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

A Gaia is a beefed-up SH-32 including the "disable the filters and switch to mono when you enable oscillator sync" idiocy. It's hated by everyone who insists that Roland should use all the SH stuff only for REAL ANALOG, lots of others probably like it because you get a shitload of sliders for not that much money.

Go try a Novation Ultranova, costs the same as the Gaia (well, at Sweetwater at least). Also has a pretty neat vocoder.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 2, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I was just looking at Arturia's site for some info and came across this choice paragraph on one of their pages for the MicroBrute. I feel like this is the synth equivalent of what we call "grog" in the RPG threads in TG (loose working definition here, for the uninitiated):

quote:

"A synthesizer is a musical instrument that is meant to be played. However, playing a synthesizer is more than just playing some notes on a keyboard and recalling someone else’s presets. If that was the goal you could be looking at accordions or going to a department store to buy your keyboard (along with socks, milk and toilet paper)…but you aren’t because you are more creative than that."

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Trust me: it can get way worse than that.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Swagger Dagger posted:

This isn't actually true, you can buy Monark whenever you want.

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag. The lights above the keys showing chords and scales is kinda cool but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels and, again, it costs 600 goddamn dollars.

I'm pretty happy about them adding an arpeggiator in Maschine 2.2 though.

Not with that keyboard, it (the keyboard) only works with Reaktor, not Reaktor Player.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

AxeBreaker posted:

I had a Gaia, it's bad, don't buy it. There's a bunch of good synths you can get for less than $600, get one of those instead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

[ABOUT NOVATION SL MKII]
I had one of these until my roommate at the time got hammered and pissed on it. Seriously amazing keyboard, integrates really really well with Ableton and the build quality is great. If I was in the market for a keyboard right now I'd probably be getting another one of those or whatever the red Akai one with a built-in arp is.

On the contrary, it's the biggest piece of poo poo ever and it feels like a cheap plastic toy and the integration is a horrible hackjob :eng101:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's not analog emulation though, it's all analogue but it's analogue poo poo.
For shame.

djkp
Feb 14, 2004

Dance to the beat
My favorite synth is my Alesis Andromeda A6.

It amazed me that they packed in a full 16 voices of - oscillator analog synthesis in that monster. I always read that they didn't make much money on it when they were sold for about $2,500 years ago before production stopped, simply because of that. It's essentially like an enclosed modular...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

djkp posted:

My favorite synth is my Alesis Andromeda A6.

It amazed me that they packed in a full 16 voices of - oscillator analog synthesis in that monster. I always read that they didn't make much money on it when they were sold for about $2,500 years ago before production stopped, simply because of that. It's essentially like an enclosed modular...

Where do you live, I'm coming to rob you.

They're so expensive now... :(

djkp
Feb 14, 2004

Dance to the beat

Mister Speaker posted:

:)

I'm unemployed and also essentially homeless at the moment, so I'm all over the place. :)

Good luck finding me!

djkp
Feb 14, 2004

Dance to the beat

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a really great piece of gear, I dread the day the digital components take a poo poo... It's almost worth any amount of money in my opinion now, because you just can't get a sound like it from anything else...

The first weekend that I had the keyboard, I threw together a partial cover (intro only...) of "Where The Streets Have No Name" using the A6.

I was rather surprised when someone found it and used the piece in a video demonstrating the keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EnzRoVY6Y

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I know, I could have sworn it was analogue and not sampled waveforms. :downs:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gaia is bad and built like it's made from Lego brick rejects.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The Gaia is honestly not a bad first synth if you can get one super cheap and are deaf.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Go on, then; what would be a good, cheap gateway synth?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

a_big_dog posted:

Waldorf microQ, Blofeld.

Can do (apart from standard VA) FM,wavetables,mod matrix with functions/modifiers, multitimbral, Blofeld can use samples.

W424 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 3, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Novation Nova or Supernova (or ultranova if it has to be new). Loads of front panel controls, nice sounds, easy to program.

This is high on my to-buy list.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

a_big_dog posted:

Novation MiniNova.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Eurorack.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Volca Keys

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Synth Squad.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
No joke: Dave Smith MoPho

Comedy option: Microkorg

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

No joke: Dave Smith MoPho

Mopho isn't bad if you can get the keyboard version. The menu diving on the desktop is no fun and the editor is also a chore.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Eh, Gaia is a cool babby's first synth if you can get it used/cheap. My friend did just that and learned how to synth with it. Everything is just right there on the front panel. Also SCATTER:catdrugs:D-BEAM:catdrugs:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

net work error posted:

Mopho isn't bad if you can get the keyboard version. The menu diving on the desktop is no fun and the editor is also a chore.

Yeah it took me a little time to get used to the menu navigating. It's pretty quick and intuitive for what it is but I've got a Novation Remote template setup for mine now. Their software editor isn't half bad either.

I honestly didn't think I'd like the Mopho (after listening to Youtube demos) but I am actually really impressed by the sound and the features. The presets are great on their own or as patch building blocks plus every parameter can be mapped to the sequencer. I'm digging it so much I've been looking to score a Tetra so I can have 4x the fun in poly.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

quote:

Also, I agree with you that the Arturia only does bass really well (why I'll be selling mine when it gets back) but the Moog and especially the Korg? Try doing things like putting some delay in the attack and release of the envelope, adding a hint of portamento, and messing with the resonance and not cutting the low pass filter completely to really make them sing outside of bass sounds. Also, try the Ultranova. It's like the microkorg but better in pretty much every way imaginable, has lots of effects, plus it not only has external in (which you can route through the filters and effects, but they also act as a 2in4out audio interface which will save you like $200.

I tried as much of that as I could with the Volca Keys and it did make it sound better up high. I've been looking around for an Ultranova but all I could find to play with was a BassStation at Guitar Center. They seem to have every microkorg made in recent memory, including an all black one though.

Other than that, I've been playing with Komplete Elements, which came with my midi controller. I've got what it came with and most of what can be downloaded free, and I've decided I like Carbon 2 and Photone the best of that bunch. If I were to get Reaper or another DAW, are there any free must-have .vst's you could recommend?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Alright you bastard, that's the last straw.

This fall I'll be modding/rebuilding my Microkorg in a huge way, and I will make another Jexus style video, and all robot farts will be blown right in your freakin face.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doesn't Disclosure exclusively use Gaias on stage? Or maybe not exclusively, but when I was watching their set on the Coachella webcast, they were definitely using Gaias.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

And the flaming lips uses microkorgs in their live show.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Arturia micro or minibrute or bass station II

OR ALL THREE :getin:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Balls deep and get a moog voyager. Obviously

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Two bass stations and a kstation. Call the novation mothership to take you to acid planet.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Music Easel.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

I tried as much of that as I could with the Volca Keys and it did make it sound better up high. I've been looking around for an Ultranova but all I could find to play with was a BassStation at Guitar Center. They seem to have every microkorg made in recent memory, including an all black one though.

Other than that, I've been playing with Komplete Elements, which came with my midi controller. I've got what it came with and most of what can be downloaded free, and I've decided I like Carbon 2 and Photone the best of that bunch. If I were to get Reaper or another DAW, are there any free must-have .vst's you could recommend?

Is there another music store around where you're located? Maybe a different GC? I know that of the three GC's near me only one of them has an ultranova out to gently caress with and one has a mininova to gently caress with (which is basically an ultra nova with mini keys and without the soundcard)

I don't have any "free" VST's, but if I were to rank the ones I have in terms of how much I use them, how easy they are to use, and how much fun they are to work with it would be the following.

Instruments:
1: Alchemy
2: Bazille
3: Tattoo
4: Reaktor

Effects:
1: Kramer Master Tape
2: Ohmboyz
3: ValhallaShimmer
4: Quad Frohmage

Christmas is coming up and most of these will go on sale since the only time I buy VST instruments / effects is when they're 50-80% off. (Except for Bazille since I got the 30% off for being a beta tester)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A Winner is Jew posted:

Christmas is coming up and most of these will go on sale since the only time I buy VST instruments / effects is when they're 50-80% off. (Except for Bazille since I got the 30% off for being a beta tester)

There's also a ton of deals on/around Black Friday. I use this site to track them:

http://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

surrender posted:

There's also a ton of deals on/around Black Friday. I use this site to track them:

http://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

Hello bookmark!

And from that it looks like all the Arturia VST's are 50% off. Anyone know which ones are the best?