Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the success of apple is my only concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

it's fuckin repulsive how people like cremnob don't give a poo poo unless it makes apple look bad

yes

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this is a good post about what apple should do http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/02/why-apple-should-be-more-transparent-about-security/

but if u thought apple was gonna have a big antennagate-style problem to deal with like mister fister was hoping then lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

it wont fester in most apple's customers minds cause most apple customers arent following apple news. nerds will care for a while then forget

lol what this isn't apple news, for christs sake they talked about it all day long on the radio station our pharmacy pumps out which is a middle of the road, play the same weak rear end bullshit every single day and spend all day talking about this leak. it's not fuckon apple news

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea but thats focused on celebs. on cnn they did a segment about about it and then said to use stronger passwords like pa$$word and then veered off into the general topic of cloud security and if its safe to keep ur data on the cloud

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

yea but thats focused on celebs. on cnn they did a segment about about it and then said to use stronger passwords like pa$$word and then veered off into the general topic of cloud security and if its safe to keep ur data on the cloud

who cares gently caress apple only use apple poo poo that falls off the back of a truck

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

gently caress u too bitch

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do u get to chat much with the customers echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah now that I've been there for a year and a half the locals seem to know me and I treat people pretty well and ask them questions about they drugs and they like me so yeah it's solid

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

cremnob posted:

it wont fester in most apple's customers minds cause most apple customers arent following apple news. nerds will care for a while then forget

according to this thread nerds will care up until the point they manage to scrub their hard drives.

also, you're pretty consistently creepy so it's not shocking you've decided this is no big deal.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

it was going to be no big deal cause the history of "security incidents" shows that it ends up being no big deal

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nice wood

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5i171h_no

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BooLoo posted:

according to this thread nerds will care up until the point they manage to scrub their hard drives.

also, you're pretty consistently creepy so it's not shocking you've decided this is no big deal.
according to this thread yosposters have forgotten all previous advice with respect to quoting and/or engaging in any way with apple stymie (don't)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i do not acknowledge apple stymie cause stymies are wrong

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

a lot of peeps butthurt that cremnob is right

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

cremnob posted:

i do not acknowledge apple stymie cause stymies are wrong

you do realize that you are the apple stymie, right?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:yaycloud:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

you do realize that you are the apple stymie, right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

on the one hand jfc

on the other hand it's not like most normal people know what "cloud storage" even is or why it's a terrible idea to put anything important there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cremnob may be a creepo but he's right

security fuckups never change anything

there are no negative repercussions for security fuckups

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

there are no negative repercussions for security fuckups

someone is going to jail over this though

the person that didn't even get any bitcoin out of this

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i didn't even get any bitcoin out of it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

someone is going to jail over this though

the person that didn't even get any bitcoin out of this

yea that will happen but security things don't change habits at all even tho everyone thinks this time it will

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

yeah because gross male nerds are the victims of this leak

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

it was going to be no big deal cause the history of "security incidents" shows that it ends up being no big deal

strange how you hold apple to such a low standard

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the main result of this will be lay people's first thought when hearing something about using cloud storage being "oh that's the thing your poo poo gets stolen from unless you are some techowizard" instead of the "oh wow fancy way of the future!" that the companies have been working very hard to instill.

it turns a former positive feature into a liability in the minds of most consumers.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you will be glad to know that wall street is punishing apple for their transgressions to the tune of slightly less than -3%

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

the main result of this will be lay people's first thought when hearing something about using butt storage being "oh that's the thing your poo poo gets stolen from unless you are some techowizard" instead of the "oh wow fancy way of the future!" that the companies have been working very hard to instill.

it turns a former positive feature into a liability in the minds of most consumers.

good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the main result of this will be lay people's first thought when hearing something about using cloud storage being "oh that's the thing your poo poo gets stolen from unless you are some techowizard" instead of the "oh wow fancy way of the future!" that the companies have been working very hard to instill.

that should've been their first thought out of the gate imo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this happened to fashion trend setters and apple is a fashionable, trendy company.

this is so much more than a security story and it will effect apple even after the story media stops talking about it.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

strange how you hold apple to such a low standard

i don't and i like those things that panzerino suggested which apple should do but the first task at hand is controlling the narrative

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cremnob posted:

i don't and i like those things that panzerino suggested which apple should do but the first task at hand is controlling the narrative

they seem to be doing a form of that already, with the "our system is as secure as your password" statement

pr is a dark mystery to me so i have no idea how you would word that statement without explicitly saying "it was the victim's fault"

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

flakeloaf posted:

saying "it was the victim's fault"

that flies p well these days generally speaking

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

the yeti posted:

that flies p well these days generally speaking

as long as the victims are minorities

which in this case they mostly weren't

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

paul thurott eats worms

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

flakeloaf posted:

that should've been their first thought out of the gate imo

well to be fair i think most people were pretty suspicious about cloud storage and such when it first started rolling out but were starting to just accept it as ok as they hadn't seen or heard of any problems
but yeah people not trusting that sort of thing and further not trusting their phones to not be actively working against their best interests is unambiguously a good thing.

unless you are apple and were going to hype up deeper icloud integration in your upcoming product reveal but probably can't do so now without coming off as incredibly tone deaf and potentially pissing off a demographic which while small has incredible power to drive sales just by being seen with your product or a competitor's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

well to be fair i think most people were pretty suspicious about cloud storage and such when it first started rolling out but were starting to just accept it as ok as they hadn't seen or heard of any problems
but yeah people not trusting that sort of thing and further not trusting their phones to not be actively working against their best interests is unambiguously a good thing.

unless you are apple and were going to hype up deeper icloud integration in your upcoming product reveal but probably can't do so now without coming off as incredibly tone deaf and potentially pissing off a demographic which while small has incredible power to drive sales just by being seen with your product or a competitor's.

yeah i distinctly remember a ton of people hypothesizing this exact scenario when photo stream was first announced. turns out this group has been exploiting it since it was first announced as well :allears:

• Locked thread