Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I would chat more in thread but I am currently trying to learn how to effectively EA C'tis since I picked this up last week due to this LP and decided lizard necromancer-Egypt was the coolest.

I am so bad at this game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namad
Nov 7, 2013
what book thing? I stared at that picture of your eastern provinces for five minutes and I just don't see it... what province is it in?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gridlocked posted:

I would chat more in thread but I am currently trying to learn how to effectively EA C'tis since I picked this up last week due to this LP and decided lizard necromancer-Egypt was the coolest.

c'tis is rad as gently caress in all 3 ages so you made a good choice. i highly recommend them to any new players since they provide a good basis for learning various strats.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I'll just throw and post in and say I'm enjoying the thread! That giant looks like a problem. What's the plan? Would Mind Hunt work on him?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Read the tutorial in the manual -> play an AI game => read the rest of the manual => play 3 AI games more. That's what I recommend to learn the game.

---

Garth ferengi, now the the Centaurs are kicking your rear end sometimes the AAR is more thrilling. Will you win? :P
But, put a picture of the overall map, it's hard to make sense how the game is going with just crops.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

Off memory, they have death mages
which means summon skeletons

all the skeletons.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Veloxyll posted:

Off memory, they have death mages
which means summon skeletons

all the skeletons.

I tried out Lanka today and found out they can raise skeletons and poo poo for free as a religious action. Either I missed something for the Lizards or I am now really jealous of the monkeys.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kial posted:

I'll just throw and post in and say I'm enjoying the thread! That giant looks like a problem. What's the plan? Would Mind Hunt work on him?

Realistically, no. He's got 26 MR, which means that any time a Magic Resist Negates spell is cast on him, the spellcaster has to roll 10 + magic pen + exploding 2d6 to beat (not tie) his 26 + exploding 2d6. Statistically, it's completely improbable and she'd be better served continuing to nuke pan's commanders.

Basically, he's invulnerable to modpud right now until she can lay down some heavy battlemagic on him or some more interesting remote target spells (like disease demon).

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'd just like to say that Infernal Disease (the spell that summons disease demons) is one of my favorite ways to snipe commanders. It's not quite as reliable as a mind hunter kitted out with magic pen items (since some strong commanders can fend off disease demons quite effectively), but there's still a chance it may disease the target even if the demon can't kill it. Although in that case it takes 10 turns or so for it to die. Infernal Disease is dirt cheap to cast, though.

Then again, can't beat a free mind hunt that doesn't worry about the risk of feeblemind.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ChickenWing posted:

Basically, he's invulnerable to modpud right now until she can lay down some heavy battlemagic on him or some more interesting remote target spells (like disease demon).

Even without any real cleverness, shouldn't she domkill niefel in not terribly long? I mean a live pretender makes it a bit harder, but they're pretty much out of temples and i doubt they had 10 dom.

And wouldn't disease demon take unbelievably long amounts of time to kill him?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I always enjoy these threads but never post in them because I have nothing to say.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Tulip posted:

Even without any real cleverness, shouldn't she domkill niefel in not terribly long? I mean a live pretender makes it a bit harder, but they're pretty much out of temples and i doubt they had 10 dom.

The god has awe, unless awesomish gods gave that to it Niefel is running dom 9-10. Neither nation can blood sacrifice, and unless you sit something that can stop that god on top of your temples they will just get burned. I mean, it's not like Niefel has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the war, but domkilling them will probably require taking almost all their poo poo anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Five hundred skeletons, in a big line.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

I tried out Lanka today and found out they can raise skeletons and poo poo for free as a religious action. Either I missed something for the Lizards or I am now really jealous of the monkeys.

See the level 5 enchantment spell "Horde of skeletons" which no nation is better at casting than EA C'tis

Also see the level 5 enchantment spell "Pale Riders"

Now make 1 billion mages and spam Pale Riders out of battle and Horde of Skeletons in battle, and top it off with the level 6 enchantment spell "Rigor Mortis" (takes a gem or two to cast in battle).

Congrats you are playing EA C'tis correctly!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Skeletonize the world. Surf on a wave of bones.

akulanization posted:

The god has awe, unless awesomish gods gave that to it Niefel is running dom 9-10. Neither nation can blood sacrifice, and unless you sit something that can stop that god on top of your temples they will just get burned. I mean, it's not like Niefel has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the war, but domkilling them will probably require taking almost all their poo poo anyway.

I was pre-supposing that Lanka was going to get all of Niefel's poo poo. The question wasn't 'how does lanka win this war,' it's 'how does lanka kill that SC,' and i probably should have been more clear that by 'domkill' i meant 'niefel is going to lose everything but the sc before long, and their candles will dry up.'

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Don't forget Foul Vapors, takes a nature gem but murders everything but undead and poison resistant(which all your lizardmen are).

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Gridlocked posted:

The enchantment spell tree has all sorts of death 2 and 3 raise skeleton spells in various amounts. You can summon stuff like pale riders outside of battle, but in your orders where you can script 5 spells at the beginning of battle, spam skeletons using those until you can't.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

Don't forget Foul Vapors, takes a nature gem but murders everything but undead and poison resistant(which all your lizardmen are).

Yeah, but EA C'tis doesn't have free access to Foul Vapors like they do all the skelespam and rigor mortis spells.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I Love You! posted:

Yeah, but EA C'tis doesn't have free access to Foul Vapors like they do all the skelespam and rigor mortis spells.

Not as easy as rigor mortis, but since you'll be making nonstop sauromancers you'll eventually get one with W and N randoms.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tulip posted:

It takes time, but it's pretty much guaranteed - I don't think sniffle giants have any way to heal diseases outside of construction items that they may not have access to. Disease is a nasty thing if you have no way of dealing with it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

It takes time, but it's pretty much guaranteed - I don't think sniffle giants have any way to heal diseases outside of construction items that they may not have access to. Disease is a nasty thing if you have no way of dealing with it.

He regenerates from the ring so as long as he stays in fights every turn or 2 he will be fine. It takes a long time to fall apart from disease affliction wise. I had a dragon in a disciple game that got diseased on like turn 8 and was alive years later because of regeneration, albeit minus an eye and some other random things.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 5, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I enjoy this thread but pretty much have nothing to contribute to it.

Actually I can ask why you're using the bandar archers instead of the cheaper atavi archers. Is it better to go for more powerful, longer range longbows than larger amounts of shortbows? Or is it that bandars have more HP and thus it takes more of a slaughter to force a rout?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

He regenerates from the ring so as long as he stays in fights every turn or 2 he will be fine. It takes a long time to fall apart from disease affliction wise. I had a dragon in a disciple game that got diseased on like turn 8 and was alive years later because of regeneration, albeit minus an eye and some other random things.

He doesn't even need to get into fights; so long as he is in possession of the regeneration or limited regeneration attributes he wont lost HP to the disease, he'll still gain afflictions though.

I've kept important diseased dudes alive for long enough to get a disease healer by giving them rings of regeneration.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Samog has put up another noob game over in the PGS thread if anyone is interested

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks for the tips guys!

I have been doing some reading and I think my pretender needs to boost my health and defense of my sacreds, perhaps as a mobile spell caster to make up for the lack of diverse spellcasters EA C'tis has? Or have I assessed this completely wrong

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I don't remember EA C'tis' troop lineup at all but from what I can remember of it their sacreds aren't worth a bless at all since they're quite fragile and cap only. For MA C'tis in vanilla at least I'd take a dormant lich queen with something like A4D6(and N4 maybe?) so that she can cast globals like burden of time, dark skies, mother oak, gift of health, and battlefield enchantments like wailing winds, arrow fend, rigor mortis, darkness, relief, howl, etc, and good scales, probably something close to order 3 sloth 1 or 2 heat 3 growth 3 misfortune 1 or 2, maybe drain 1 or 2 if I need the points. You can expand pretty well with just a handful of city guards as arrow catchers and then a pile of slave warriors to actually do the killing, EA C'tis is probably all quite similar, maybe with slightly worse research since their sauromancers are slow to recruit. C'tis in general is pretty much battlefield enchantments: the nation though, you have amazingly widespread access to big things like rigor mortis, relief, howl, etc, which in combination with horde of skeletons makes it so that your "armies" past the first few years really just become 10-20 mages with a handful of gems, I've defeated large armies with nothing but under a dozen marshmasters, with 4 equipped with the gems and magic paths needed to cast rigor mortis, relief, howl, and foul vapours

Also if people want a map to reference, you can take a look at the world map from the first or second update and reference things based on that I guess? It's not great but I didn't really want to take large full map screenshots while making all of this

Turn 29: Unhappy Birthday

Hello! In between this turn and the last, there was a fantastic patch! Among its changelogs were these gems:

code:
Rain of Toads research 4->5, cost 10->20, unrest 40->30
Black Mirror ritual can now only be cast by astral mages
So Illwinter pretty much specifically set out to gently caress us over. This is pretty frustrating, because it means we can't cast rain of toads at all since we only have blood 4, and it's only 37.5% as effective as before. It was a bit too powerful a spell, but for us it's the only way we can fight an offensive war.

We've lost Gwyrth and Typhalia over to the west. Pangaea sent a single scout to test our defences at Fowanshire. I'm a little suspicious of this, so I'm sending our pretender there to patrol just in case, we can't afford to lose that fort. Our massive army is marching straight to Gwyrth, I'm not expecting Pangaea to fight outside the fortress so I'm leaving our 80~ atavi archers sneaking along. If something attacks Fowanshire this turn, hopefully our handful of atavi archers moving to Yrik Balkor can cut off any fleeing troops and wipe out the attacking forces entirely.

That's Pangaea's really stupid pretender name. It looks like they cast mother oak, a ritual up in alteration that gives them a ton of nature gems every turn. It's a global ritual, and there can only be 5 up in the game at a time, so the slots tend to be fairly competitive. This is turning really troublesome, they're going to start swarming us with bugs as soon as we gently caress up their white centaur hordes. Hopefully ilu xuande gets off his fat grotesque rear end and starts doing something soon! I'm starting to regret not just killing him.

Well, let's take a look at all the wonderful things that have gone terribly over here this turn.

This is why I took luck 3. So I wouldn't get events like this.

I have no idea what I'm doing that is affecting this. Hopefully we don't gently caress it up?

We lost Rame to one of those wandering werewolves with big axes, and as far what the gently caress happened in Tirannea..

This guy is basically unkillable in his dominion. He regenerates 25 hp/turn, has massive defence, entangles everyone who misses him, makes everyone around him incredibly tired because of how cold he is, and has way too much magic resistance to be put to sleep. We're going to need quite a bit of research to kill this guy.

I forgot to set our yogini to cast vine arrow instead of sleep cloud, so as soon as our troops piled in they got put to sleep by our own mages(not that they could do much in the first place).

A pretty devastating loss.

So what the gently caress can we do about him? Firstly I'm pulling all of our forces back to the forts. I'm also starting to build temples in them, and soon I'll claim that throne south of Niefelheim's cap, to try to get rid of some of his dominion, at least. Unfortunately the patch has also made making a serious push into someone else's dominion significantly harder, but it shouldn't affect us too much.

This is what our research looks like right now. It's bad. I was going for enchantment 7 for, among several other things, mass flight,

but it's of no use to us against Pangaea and Niefelheim. Instead we're going up blood, first for rain of toads again, , but also for some fantastic summons unique to us, and the one unresistable damage spell we can easily cast and use to murder Niefelheim's pretender.

Leech is amazing. It can be cast by any blood mage, and is completely unresistable. If I can get 15+ mages casting it, they should kill the son of sniffles in a single turn. Unfortunately we're only at blood 4, and it's all the way at blood 7, 4400 research points away. It'll be 6-7 turns before we can get to it. Niefelheim doesn't seem to really have an army, so I'm fine with letting their werewolves and pretender rampage around their former lands in the meantime.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks modpud I have been going about it all wrong. I was trying to get big buffs on their sacreds because I was all "oooooh super cheep resources" and not really playing the summoning game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm pretty sure Blood Burst would be sufficient. It's AN and not MRN.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Thanks for the tips guys!

I have been doing some reading and I think my pretender needs to boost my health and defense of my sacreds, perhaps as a mobile spell caster to make up for the lack of diverse spellcasters EA C'tis has? Or have I assessed this completely wrong

You should ignore your sacreds completely. You want scales and/or early expansion. Your strategy is Skellingtons and Rigor Mortis and Mages Mages Mages spam forts Mages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Honestly I'm pretty sure Blood Burst would be sufficient. It's AN and not MRN.

It's not 100% accurate and you'd need a shitload of it to actually do enough to burn through the regen.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Since the toad change is forcing research up to B5, why not send lessers horrors? They mark, right? Or is that too slow a way to deal with it?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

They do, but it would be way too slow since he will murder any horrors up until the really big ones, and thats if the little ones can even stack marks up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Since the toad change is forcing research up to B5, why not send lessers horrors? They mark, right? Or is that too slow a way to deal with it?
Lanka lacks Astral, also that Son of Niefel is pretty much going to spank whatever gets sent its way one-on-one, especially some shitey Float Cat or whatever.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's not 100% accurate and you'd need a shitload of it to actually do enough to burn through the regen.
I guess, but it's not 7 turns away when Pan's breathing down one's neck.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 6, 2014

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Chock me down as another lurker that is enjoying the LP, but has zero to contribute at all. I've been toying with SP for a long while, but I just don't have the time/dedication to commit to an actual MP game... I like the SP experience enough in any case, but do miss diplomacy.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Play multiplayer its like 30 minutes max a turn, maybe more if you're doing Serious Diplomacy or something

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

sicarius posted:

Chock me down as another lurker that is enjoying the LP, but has zero to contribute at all. I've been toying with SP for a long while, but I just don't have the time/dedication to commit to an actual MP game... I like the SP experience enough in any case, but do miss diplomacy.

You don't have 15-45 minutes a day to take a single turn, plus maybe an extra 15 minutes somewhere in there to do diplomacy?

Do multiplayer, it's well worth it. The AI is garbage.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
No, I don't have a spare four hours a week (also it's much closer to an hour per turn in the endgame), why do you ask? I love all these people who automatically think everybody must have the time for Dominions multiplayer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is no such thing as 'spare' time. Nobody has spare hours just lying around doing nothing.
What you mean to say is you are not willing to give up four hours a week doing something else to play Dominions. And that's fine, it's a video game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I Love You! posted:

You should ignore your sacreds completely. You want scales and/or early expansion. Your strategy is Skellingtons and Rigor Mortis and Mages Mages Mages spam forts Mages.

Yeah spamming skeles was so much more effective thanks.

Armies consisting of 5 Sauromancers with a handfull of death and nature gems were enough to wipe out most opposition. Ended up giving them a few Heavy Infantry as bodyguards because I got sick of flying things getting to their faces. I was an idiot and tried using Wights cause I thought they are cool and as it turned out the cold aura was killing my lizards haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Ilanin posted:

No, I don't have a spare four hours a week (also it's much closer to an hour per turn in the endgame), why do you ask? I love all these people who automatically think everybody must have the time for Dominions multiplayer.

^ This. I'll probably forget my turn at least one day a week - thus ruining the game for everyone involved.

• Locked thread