Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The one thing I really missed out on commenting on during the video was the fact that this level brings back death hallways in a big way. Every third door or so for the first half of the video got painted red and purple pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Wow... fun combat, good level design, awesome revenge cutscene! :clint:

(And yay for amusing plasma ball action.)

It's bizarre how this game flip flops between totally incompetent and fantastic. Everything about that level seemed fun.

Levels like that make me want to play the game myself... but I'd have to get through those levels with gazillions of bullshit snipers, and the previous chapter where you had half-hour gauntlet of enemies with no checkpoints.

It's a shame that the PC version of the game doesn't have cheat codes; it would be great to have an ability to skip levels or turn on god mode to get past the poorly-designed parts.

Thank you for playing this Tin Tim, letting us see all the great stuff without having to suffer through the bad bits.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 4, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lazyfire posted:

The one thing I really missed out on commenting on during the video was the fact that this level brings back death hallways in a big way. Every third door or so for the first half of the video got painted red and purple pretty quickly.
Mace Griffin is about art

Abstract art even

I mean look at those proportions!

your evil twin posted:

Levels like that make me want to play the game myself... but I'd have to get through those levels with gazillions of bullshit snipers, and the previous chapter where you had half-hour gauntlet of enemies with no checkpoints.

It's a shame that the PC version of the game doesn't have cheat codes; it would be great to have an ability to skip levels or turn on god mode to get past the poorly-designed parts.
Yeah, this level is pretty good! I think it was mentioned earlier, but Warthog never did an FPS game before, so that's why most of the levels end up being boring or too tedious. Whoever made this level, should probably have been asked what could be improved in the other ones :v:

Also, if anyone seriously wants it, I can upload my save at the end so that you can just use the mission select and play the few fun parts yourself.

Lastly, I have to say that the next vid probably takes a few more days. I'm sorta busy atm, and edit at a snail's pace. It's fully recorded though, so it's just on my end.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Haha they should have had those screenshots on the box art! Especially the first one, that's an awesome advertisement for this game.

And uploading your saved games would be nice. Looks like I can get the game on ebay for £3, worth it if can skip the crap levels.

Should find somewhere reasonably secure/permanent so that the link still works when the LP is up on the LP archive, for future generations to benefit from.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 9, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I really can't wait to see the thread's reaction to the end of the next video. I'm still wondering what I watched three days later.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 10 - Infiltrate The Tannan Corp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_Qy9KaaDA
After clearing the way into the Tannan Corp HQ, Mace now has to support Grier's hacking efforts. What terrible secrets will they uncover?

I'm again joined by Lazyfire! Check out his current thread for F.E.A.R 2.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

your evil twin posted:

And uploading your saved games would be nice. Looks like I can get the game on ebay for £3, worth it if can skip the crap levels.

Should find somewhere reasonably secure/permanent so that the link still works when the LP is up on the LP archive, for future generations to benefit from.
No problem. I'll throw it on my Mediafire cloud. As long as that site lives, the file will live! Hell, I uploaded an obscure flash game for my first Lp there, and it's still available.

Lazyfire posted:

I really can't wait to see the thread's reaction to the end of the next video. I'm still wondering what I watched three days later.
:allears:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Ahahahahahaha that was magnificent. :ghost:

The true nature of the Watchers, their relationship with the corporation, and the way the Order of Light is being used... that's actually a pretty cool plot.

Revealing the shocking truth about your NPC partner... who you've been partnered with for all of one level... not so much.

And the animations for that shootout between the two characters were ridiculously bad.

Whoever came up with the story for the game was clearly competent and had some interesting ideas. If only the developers knew how to properly implemented that into the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

your evil twin posted:

Whoever came up with the story for the game was clearly competent and had some interesting ideas. If only the developers knew how to properly implemented that into the game.
That's pretty much what I said to Lazyfire when we stopped recording. If you seperate the story from the game, you'll find that it has some pretty cool ideas! But the disjointed and clumsy storytelling totally ruins it.

your evil twin posted:

And the animations for that shootout between the two characters were ridiculously bad.
They sure are! I almost left mine and Lazyfire's giggling in that part, but then decided to give y'all the full vanilla experience :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

They sure are! I almost left mine and Lazyfire's giggling in that part, but then decided to give y'all the full vanilla experience :v:
Sounds like a bonus video to me. :haw:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is the most bulletless shootout I have ever seen.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I watched every video in the LP and when the line about your one mission buddy being a Watcher came out I barely stopped myself from loudly asking what the gently caress a Watcher was. This game loves to bring up ancient poo poo like it just happened.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I think I stopped playing this game during the cruise liner mission, but the way they managed to seamlessly blend FPS and space sim gameplay was brilliant. It's a pity no other game has ever done that since, since that was the most successful part of this game in my opinion. I think the level with the rustlers would probably have been better placed immediately after you rescue your prison buddy - give him a gun, give him useful poo poo to do in the level, and then make it so that you actually care when he gets shot. I mean, it's the only mission not directly related to the plot; an opportunity to shoot lots and lots of the game's weaker enemies with the games most powerful weaponry might have been fun as a brief change of pace, and it would have meant that all of the plot stuff prior to the release would have actually happened sooner in the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

hectorgrey posted:

I think I stopped playing this game during the cruise liner mission, but the way they managed to seamlessly blend FPS and space sim gameplay was brilliant. It's a pity no other game has ever done that since, since that was the most successful part of this game in my opinion. I think the level with the rustlers would probably have been better placed immediately after you rescue your prison buddy - give him a gun, give him useful poo poo to do in the level, and then make it so that you actually care when he gets shot. I mean, it's the only mission not directly related to the plot; an opportunity to shoot lots and lots of the game's weaker enemies with the games most powerful weaponry might have been fun as a brief change of pace, and it would have meant that all of the plot stuff prior to the release would have actually happened sooner in the game.
Man, I would have loved to have a buddy mission with Del Krugo! But I guess coding a proper AI for him wasn't in the budget or something like that? It's really bizzare how little the game makes you care about the guy, despite him being your old buddy and all :shrug:

Also, hey guys! Sorry for the silence but I was wrapped up in a work related project, and then I caught a bad case of "wanting to play x-com other videogames". But fear not, the last videos will be posted sometime next week.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm the worst at updating

Chapter 11 - Face Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyq_vjnE0xU
After seeing the last of his friends die, Mace is the only one left who can stop the Tannan Corporation and the Watchers. Since Richter became possessed by a Watcher, that also stole the data disc with all the evidence on it, his only choice is to pursue it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder what causes that Richter clone bug. Still, it's a funny bug.
And also funny was that cultist rolling into the rocket that was flying straight at you. :D

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yay it's super great to have you back. Missed all the funky music you put in it.

In that cutscene it feels like they had to work with the few lines that Henry Rollins recorded for them since it was all over the place.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's the mysterious exploding, un-exploding man! :iiam:

Mmmm, completely unnecessary grenade murder. At least the poor suckers won't have to worry about alien ghost parasites now.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Another good level. Had some interesting-looking areas. Space cathedrals are cool! There was good, solid FPS action. Seems this game has a strong beginning and a strong end but an absolutely dreadful middle.

They do say that most people just remember the beginning and end of something, so those are the most important to get right. It seems Warthog Games really took that heart.

I liked the wormhole. It was a landmark in space throughout the level (you could see it during the space battle), and the vortex had the same colours as the nebula gas in that region of space. So the vortex was made of local gas swilling into the hole, which makes it a proper Accretion Disc rather than just the usual sci-fi whirlpool. :science:

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I'm still back on page 4 but I wanted to say before it's over that I'm really enjoying this and your Shogo LP, unique and interesting games that I might not enjoy as much if I were playing them.
Also the music is rad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

your evil twin posted:

Another good level. Had some interesting-looking areas. Space cathedrals are cool! There was good, solid FPS action. Seems this game has a strong beginning and a strong end but an absolutely dreadful middle.

They do say that most people just remember the beginning and end of something, so those are the most important to get right. It seems Warthog Games really took that heart.

I liked the wormhole. It was a landmark in space throughout the level (you could see it during the space battle), and the vortex had the same colours as the nebula gas in that region of space. So the vortex was made of local gas swilling into the hole, which makes it a proper Accretion Disc rather than just the usual sci-fi whirlpool. :science:
Huh, that saying actually perfectly describes the game! And yeah, the beginning of this level is fun. It's one of those rare times when the combat is frantic enough to keep you running, instead of slogging. I'll have some strong words about the rest of the level though. It has some real nice things going for it, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

And thanks for the science! Should have known that you'd be able to say something about this. I'll add it to the long list of strange details that the dev's cared about :v:

With that said, I realized later that I completely forgot to comment on it. I too think that it's a neat landmark in that space fight!

radintorov posted:

I wonder what causes that Richter clone bug. Still, it's a funny bug.
And also funny was that cultist rolling into the rocket that was flying straight at you. :D
Lol, I had to work real hard to not stop and laugh while recording when that guy rolled right into the rocket :)

On topic of the Richter clone, gently caress if I know! Like, the only explanation I could give is that he's maybe a remnant from an earlier design for the map that didn't get deleted. Maybe they previously had him running away from you or something like that. Or he could be the result of a cutscene that got deleted. The way scenes in this game work is by using your actual player model, and other models that are already in the level. So the camera just changes and the models move and act on a script until it's over. I really can't come up with any other explanation than him being a left over that slipped through the cracks.

Spudd posted:

Yay it's super great to have you back. Missed all the funky music you put in it.

In that cutscene it feels like they had to work with the few lines that Henry Rollins recorded for them since it was all over the place.
I had the impression that they wanted to convey that the guy was still confused because he just snapped out of mind control and got punched by ghost Richter. And then Mace was supposed to be forcefull to get him back on track ASAP because poo poo is going to hell. But Henry "Robot" Rollins didn't transport that very well :v:

vilkacis posted:

It's the mysterious exploding, un-exploding man! :iiam:

Mmmm, completely unnecessary grenade murder. At least the poor suckers won't have to worry about alien ghost parasites now.
There is a reason why I call him ghost Richter :)

Also, I'm basically a space criminal. Rip innocent tech guys

LookieLoo posted:

I'm still back on page 4 but I wanted to say before it's over that I'm really enjoying this and your Shogo LP, unique and interesting games that I might not enjoy as much if I were playing them.
Also the music is rad.
Welcome to the party :hfive:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the grenades look like the sticky bombs but they're just so useless because they're on their own explosion timer.

Can you detonate sticky bombs while they're flying through the air or do you have to wait for them to hit a surface?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 11 - Face Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQN4aJ8bZbM
Mace managed to free the Cultists from their mental control, but the Watcher in Richter's body still threw the ship into the Watcher universe before fleeing again. To get back into his own universe, Mace now has to enter a huge Watcher space station that was waiting next to the wormhole.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like how the grenades look like the sticky bombs but they're just so useless because they're on their own explosion timer.

Can you detonate sticky bombs while they're flying through the air or do you have to wait for them to hit a surface?
I did a quick test, and you can indeed only blow them up after they have landed. Previously I also thought that you could stick them to enemies, and might have said so in a video, but that actually isn't true. I was pretty sure that you could do it, but when I tested it they bounced from enemies and stuck to the floor next to them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Great LP, great music, not so great game. Seriously, going through that last level "legitimately" would be such a chore.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
So, they introduced a Ghostbusters mechanic out of nowhere and programmed the ethereal creatures to hit like trucks?

Did they test this game?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The amount of bullshit in this game is just staggering. So many great ideas, so poorly executed. Tin Tim, you have done an amazing job showing off this game, and I am so glad I gave up on playing it so many years ago!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Man I really don't blame you for skipping all that, holy poo poo what a slogfest. You were right about the visual design I love all that ethereal stuff.

I also blame you for getting me into Dance With The Dead.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
For a moment I thought that your pro strategy was going to cheat in some extra health or something similar, so I was pleasently surprised when that turned out not to be the case. Also, it was funny. :D

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
In the early going of this Let's Play, I was tempted to search out a copy to play along but at this point, no thank you. I would have dropped out many levels earlier - I tip my internet hat to you Tin Tim, your fortitude is impressive. I'm still enjoying watching, though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

PRL412 posted:

So, they introduced a Ghostbusters mechanic out of nowhere and programmed the ethereal creatures to hit like trucks?

Did they test this game?
I was going to ask that question during the last episode, because Warthog managed to pile on one last gently caress you after the ghosts. It's technically not as bad as the insta-kill shots, but super annoying and kinda lazy.

But yeah, gently caress those ghosts! It baffles me how you can design a level like that. I mean it's understandable that you want to make the last level hard, but how they did it is just fake difficulty garbage. I think that I'm a fairly competent FPS player, but you can't expect me and all the other people that play your game to just dodge all those shots without slipping. I really can't understand why they did that without giving you any means to recover between encounters. As I said in the video, they could have made up some alien bullshit that heals you somehow. Nobody would have questioned that because they'd be happy to have it. And it's pretty sad, because the basic idea behind the level is good! Making your way through a scary ship full of dangerous ghosts makes for a great atmosphere, but it turns into frustration after you've died a couple of times. Oh well, bless my bunny hopping I guess :v:

Also, thanks for the flowers folks! I finsihed this game when I was young, but man, I must have worn some major rose tinted glasses when I decided to Lp it. I'm not going to lie, there were a couple moments where I was close to stop it. But I hate to leave people hanging so we're going all the way. Stay tuned for the ending! I'll edit it over the weekend and it should be up sometime next week.

Spudd posted:

I also blame you for getting me into Dance With The Dead.
I'll gladly take the blame! They also have a new album out, so now is a great time to check them out.

http://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This makes the most bullshit sections of Vivisector look competent and reasonable.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I can just imagine Mace seeing all those ghosts and saying "gently caress this poo poo!"

Yes, in that strange monotone.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
You know, I'm a little surprised no one else thought of it this way: What if you're SUPPOSE to rush through that section? I mean, that's the only way you were able to get through it and while I'm sure "a better player" could kill every Watcher along the way, I personally thought that the reason the Watchers are so powerful is to make you realize you can't really sit there and fight them so just rush through and hope for the best.

Also, you DID get a checkpoint at the hallway filled with human enemies, so there is that.

hectorgrey posted:

I can just imagine Mace seeing all those ghosts and saying "gently caress this poo poo!"

More like I see him just out right ignoring everything else and staying focused on chasing down Richter and making him space dust.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ben Kasack posted:

You know, I'm a little surprised no one else thought of it this way: What if you're SUPPOSE to rush through that section? I mean, that's the only way you were able to get through it and while I'm sure "a better player" could kill every Watcher along the way, I personally thought that the reason the Watchers are so powerful is to make you realize you can't really sit there and fight them so just rush through and hope for the best.

Also, you DID get a checkpoint at the hallway filled with human enemies, so there is that.
Hmm, yeah, that certainly could have been the intention behind it. But like, to me this didn't occur because I kinda grew up with clearly defined shooter mechanics/goals. If you have the means to kill something, then the devs also expect you to kill it. And to add to that, the game operated on the principle that you should kill pretty much everything except for a few odd enemies that sit on a ledge. It would be weird to me to include the Watcher gun, but only intend it to be a last ditch measure for when you somehow get trapped in a corner. Like, the sole fact that the game gave me this gun signals me that I should use it to gently caress up the watchers. Maybe I'm just thinking too straightforward? Could be! And it also goes against my shooter instincts to just run past enemies when I'm able to fight them. I dunno how to really explain that, but I guess you could also say that I then could have ran past everything else that the game allowed me to. Like, as a player I look for the challenge the game provides me with and try to beat it. And just running past something only comes to my mind after I tried my best to overcome it. And to be honest, if they intended you to actually leg it, then I'd say the player should have been given a hint to that. Dying a bunch could be considered a hint, yeah, but a pretty crappy one.

But your post actually made me think about something that I forgot to bring up in the video. The watchers can't open doors, so that is pretty much what allows you to run past them in the first place. Now, you could say that this is a sign for the devs wanting you to run, but you could also say that they didn't know how to properly design the combat and included a back door to be done with it. We'll never know!

Also, lol at me for overlooking that checkpoint! Yep, that was totally my fault and the section now may not be as terrible as I made it out to be. It's still pretty terrible though :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tin Tim posted:

The watchers can't open doors
On their own ship :downs:

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Honestly, one can't fault you for beating your head on that brick wall, thinking you could fight through it, especially considering they had you actually fight three Watchers not too long ago. I can easily see the confusion, but I only thought about the "run past everything" idea AFTER you bitched about how you tried some 20+ times to no avail. It simply seemed like the logical course to follow.

"I know how to fight these things, let's go :black101: on them like I have been doing the rest of the game!" *MANY deaths later* ":tizzy: gently caress this poo poo! Let's just rush it and see what happens." *Progress happens!* ":doh: gently caress."

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

On their own ship :downs:
Master plan uncovered!
They're kidnapping humans/aliens from our system so they can turn them into Doormen.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Tin Tim, how did you figure out that you are supposed to use that beam weapon? Do they do anything to tell you that it is an Anti-Watcher weapon?

Since they gave it to you half way through the game, and it does low damage to ordinary enemies, I don't see why the player would think to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I looked at a walkthrough back when I was young and still remembered that :ssh:

But as far as I know, the only hint that you get is that Richter uses it when he confronts you and the already possessed Grier. It's a real shaky hint but I don't think that there is anything else. So going by that, the devs expected you to realize that, use the weapon, and then find out why the beam eventually glows blue when you zap the watchers. Yeah, let that one sink in. It's super dumb, and an easy fix would have been to have Richter drop his gun in that scene, and let Mace say a line about how that weapon could be useful against the watchers. You'd still have to figure out the mechanic, but it would at least be something.

Also, out of curiosity I checked two other Mace Griffin Lps on YT after beating the last level. One was horrible and I couldn't watch it, but the other one was okay. That guy actually didn't figure the watcher gun out, complained about the fact that he couldn't kill the watchers, and eventually legged it too :v:

• Locked thread