Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
No water. Yeah, yeah, it exists as ice. But on a superior planet water exists in both a solid AND a liquid state. So you can cool and sip your refreshing drink together. Also might help being able to breathe there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

*breathes lovely martian air*

*inhales extremely fine particles that shred your lungs*

*dies violently gasping regardless of :gas: content*

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Moran: Mars is the closest thing to earth in our solar system and could actually sustain life with some terraforming
Me: actually, no

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

those martians are real dicks, I lent them five bucks and they never paid me back

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I like Mars but the best planet is Saturn

FBIASSMAN69
Aug 15, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Moran: Mars is the closest thing to earth in our solar system and could actually sustain life with some terraforming

i dunno i just played some red faction guerrilla and it seemed convincing and compelling enough, gonna need more info there boss

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I hear mars is filled with giant cockroach people.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
the gravity well ensures that any planet which needs terraforming will be more costly to terraform than to just fix our own planet.*

*humanity is going to die on this rock

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

with enough nuclear energy you could establish a mars base if you did it on the north pole and tunneled into the water reserves w/ current technology

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

basically just dig for that poo poo like you would oil and get some uranium going on from captured asteroids or natively and drat would you ever have a self sufficient mars base

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you need insane equipment to get enough radioactive material out of naturally occuring uranium for fission.

edit: read about how it was done for the manhattan project lol

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

equipment built by nuclear fission

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

fast breeder reactors

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Big retard: We should colonize mars.
Me: Hold your horses buddy, we have to colonize the moon first, and that could take decades despite being a order of magnitude closer.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I kinda feel bad for Mars. Jupiter got so big so it pulled more debris away from Mars which prevented Mars from getting bigger. Because of this, Mar's molten interior cooled, which meant it lost its magnetosphere. Without a magnetosphere, solar winds stripped Mars of its atmosphere and with no greenhouse effect the planet became dead and frozen.

:smith:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I kinda feel bad for Mars. Jupiter got so big so it pulled more debris away from Mars which prevented Mars from getting bigger. Because of this, Mar's molten interior cooled, which meant it lost its magnetosphere. Without a magnetosphere, solar winds stripped Mars of its atmosphere and with no greenhouse effect the planet became dead and frozen.

its ok were making up for it by creating a great greenhouse effect on earth and dooming the planet :)

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Men are from Mars
Most men are gay (in GBS anyway)
Gay men suck dick

Ergo, Mars sucks dick. :eng101:

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yeah, what a pussy of a planet.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lot of truth in what hte OP says

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Corey Plumper posted:

Big retard: We should colonize mars.
Me: Hold your horses buddy, we have to colonize the moon first, and that could take decades despite being a order of magnitude closer.

we should blow up the moon

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
You won't believe it. We've checked and double checked to confirm it. The message is, "Mars needs women."

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
they also loving invaded us in 1897 and once again in the the 1990s AND then in 2005

gently caress mars

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Get your rear end there

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

to mars?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

THS posted:

basically just dig for that poo poo like you would oil and get some uranium going on from captured asteroids or natively and drat would you ever have a self sufficient mars base

drill baby drill!

e: (my rear end)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
jupiter is the best sorry

would like to mtn bike on mars though

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
yuo just know theres going to be some pussy future space hippy thatll be against us exploiting a dead planet lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah dead planet seems like a great stepping stone in our conquest of the solar system and galaxy :getin:

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Why the gently caress would we waste our time trying to prop up a colony if the planet won't even begin to show signs of retaining surface heat for probably a thousand years. Lemme ask you this though, what kind of environment do you figure would show up on Mars if it could support vegetation? Swampy rear end, humid and insect infested bullshit. This is planet Florida

Luitpold fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 8, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

i prefer moran

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Snickers > Mars

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

imo lets check out titan and europa before going for mars

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

people are always saying we should fund space travel more but to be honest i find it boring and a waste of time and money outside of peripheral discoveries. go fund ocean exploring instead, underwater cities are cooler then space cities

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I think Elon Musk wants to move Silicon Valley to Mars or something.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

THS posted:

imo lets check out titan and europa before going for mars

Europa is the second best solar system object after Erf tbh.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson owns pretty hard and is good sci-fi.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gently caress you, Mars owns. :colbert:

Edit: Mercury sucks.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Dr Strangepants posted:

the gravity well ensures that any planet which needs terraforming will be more costly to terraform than to just fix our own planet.*

*humanity is going to die on this rock

If we ever terraform that bitch it aint gonna be with a giant retarded air machine ala Total Recall (the good one) or anything else huge that we ship from here to there. It would start with either the beginnings of a mining and refining capacity with which you could build locally sourced machines, or possibly several hundred cultures of engineered life forms designed to spread and do most of the work for us over possibly hundreds or thousands of years.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Davincie posted:

people are always saying we should fund space travel more but to be honest i find it boring and a waste of time and money outside of peripheral discoveries. go fund ocean exploring instead, underwater cities are cooler then space cities

There are no asteroids made of platinum under the ocean. Space is like that game where you're in a box full of flying money except you get as long as you want to just pocket that poo poo until the weight makes it hard to carry home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Al Borland posted:

I hear mars is filled with giant cockroach people.

That's the Moon you dumbass

• Locked thread