Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Remember this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-GmYBNDqY

?

Well,

quote:

The state denies Shakir is qualified to receive monetary compensation "The damages he claims, if they are not fabricated, are exaggerated and are not related at all to the activities of [Israel's defense forces] activities." The defense pleads that if the plaintiff's claims will be accepted by the court and it will be required to provide monetary compensation "Then the defendants own damages will have to be reducted from the sum, including the damages to [the officer who beats people up with with his m16, Lt. Col. Shalom Eisner], including both physical and mental pain and anguish."..."who has suffered far greater bodily injuries"

Crack some skulls with the stock of your rifle, claim to be the real victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hong XiuQuan posted:

*Facepalm*

In other news, I've been talking with a company I used to work for for a job offer for quite some time. Their HR wanted to call me to talk, so I thought it would be about specific terms etc. Turns out a former colleague of mine who I'd worked with for over a year and a half and who added me on Facebook when I had left put in a pre-emptive complaint because we had back and forths on their IDF Spokesperson posts on Facebook. These were completely amicable at the time. Their spouse waded into the discussion and we had a back and forth. He/she blocked me after I had the temerity to ask why he/she kept saying Gerald Kaufman wasn't a zionist (my point: surely up for him to self-identify whether he's a zionist or not) to which he/she replied 'I'm Jewish, trust me. Jews in London know he's not a zionist'.

That's really poisoned the well because they're keen to get me on board but wanted to check that I wouldn't start screaming at her/him about Palestine in the workplace despite our amicable work history and the fact that I/P has been going on for 47 years. On the one hand, I want to dismiss the job outright because: gently caress you guys. On the other hand I want to take the job to make a point about my professionalism. That said, not sure I want to be in a position where someone is looking for any opportunity to get me sacked.

Tl;dr - I'm in a bit of a Salaita extra light situation and am thinking of telling prospective employers to get hosed.

That's hosed up. I don't know what to tell you. Seems like a bit of preemptive bullying by this erstwhile colleague. Wouldn't you be giving in by basically refusing money because of them? On the other hand I fully understand not wanting to start a job of work with blood already in the water.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Remember this:

?

Well,

:stare: That reads like a Married with Children bit. A parody of military justice.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Tl;dr - I'm in a bit of a Salaita extra light situation and am thinking of telling prospective employers to get hosed.
Chances are the employers are just super cautious about it turning into a shitstorm that they have to deal with. If they were radical zionists or something then they probably wouldn't even offer you anything.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare: That reads like a Married with Children bit. A parody of military justice.

Groucho Marx posted:

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hong XiuQuan posted:

*Facepalm*

In other news, I've been talking with a company I used to work for for a job offer for quite some time. Their HR wanted to call me to talk, so I thought it would be about specific terms etc. Turns out a former colleague of mine who I'd worked with for over a year and a half and who added me on Facebook when I had left put in a pre-emptive complaint because we had back and forths on their IDF Spokesperson posts on Facebook. These were completely amicable at the time. Their spouse waded into the discussion and we had a back and forth. He/she blocked me after I had the temerity to ask why he/she kept saying Gerald Kaufman wasn't a zionist (my point: surely up for him to self-identify whether he's a zionist or not) to which he/she replied 'I'm Jewish, trust me. Jews in London know he's not a zionist'.

That's really poisoned the well because they're keen to get me on board but wanted to check that I wouldn't start screaming at her about Palestine in the workplace despite our amicable work history and the fact that I/P has been going on for 47 years. On the one hand, I want to dismiss the job outright because: gently caress you guys. On the other hand I want to take the job to make a point about my professionalism. That said, not sure I want to be in a position where someone is looking for any opportunity to get me sacked.

Unless they ask you to do things you find objectionable as part of your job, take the offer.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Hong XiuQuan posted:

That's really poisoned the well because they're keen to get me on board but wanted to check that I wouldn't start screaming at her about Palestine in the workplace despite our amicable work history and the fact that I/P has been going on for 47 years. On the one hand, I want to dismiss the job outright because: gently caress you guys. On the other hand I want to take the job to make a point about my professionalism. That said, not sure I want to be in a position where someone is looking for any opportunity to get me sacked.
That's really all it is. The proper response to anyone bringing up facebook poo poo (regardless of topic) in this situation, is to brush it off like it doesn't matter, and just be nothing but polite and professional. If the other person is holding a grudge and doesn't want you to work there, then any new complaints will come off as petty and inappropriate to management/HR. If it was just a misunderstanding and they took anything from facebook more seriously than it should have been, they'll realize that they overreacted and work with you in a professional manner. If it's truly a good job opportunity, don't turn it down because of something little like this from someone who isn't in management/HR.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Remember this:

?

Well,

If reading the police violence thread has taught me anything, isn't that just SOP even in the US with their heavily militarized police force? So why should anybody be surprised at the Israeli military using that same tactic.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/08/israelis-warm-to-a-palestinian-state-carved-out-of-egypt/

quote:

JERUSALEM – Israel’s Army Radio caused a stir here Monday when it reported that Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi had proposed ceding parts of his country's territory in the Sinai Peninsula to create an autonomous, demilitarized Palestinian state. The plan, according to the radio report, was rejected last month by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

The report was brief and it was attributed to anonymous sources. It was also flatly denied by all parties involved, with Egyptian state media quoting Sissi as saying “no one can do that” and Palestinian presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeinah releasing a statement saying no such proposal had ever been discussed.

Nevertheless, after a summer of bloody warfare in the Gaza Strip, the concept of an expanded Palestinian state in the sand dunes of the Sinai desert as a possible solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was immediately thrown into the spotlight -- and heartily embraced by some Israeli politicians.

“What a wonderful proposal by the Egyptian president to give the Palestinians land five times the size of Gaza to create their state,” Israel’s Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz wrote in a Facebook post.

Israel’s Minister of Science and Technology, Yaakov Peri, told Army Radio that it was certainly a “creative proposal,” and a worthwhile one for Israel to examine in more detail, despite Abbas’s purported rejection.

According to the radio report, Egypt would give up nearly 1,000 square miles of its territory adjacent to Gaza and, in return, Abbas would drop on his demands to form a Palestinian state within the 1967 lines that once divided Israel and Jordan.

The Palestinians, the report said, would continue holding onto areas in the West Bank that are currently under the control of the Palestinian Authority, but the expanded Gaza strip would form the bulk of Palestinian lands.

The idea of of expanding the coastal enclave into Egypt has been broached in the past by Israeli academics and leaders -- who, in the view of many Palestinians, very much want to foist Gaza onto Egypt, in part to further split the population of Gaza from that of the West Bank.

In 2008, the former head of Israel's National Security Council, Giora Eiland, suggested Egypt transfer some of its land to help form a Palestinian state and in return Israel would ease its restrictions on Egypt’s military presence in the Sinai. Eiland's plan was to add a square at the northwestern tip of the Sinai Peninsula onto the 140-square-mile Gaza -- a space, according to Eiland, that is far too small to successfully support its more than 1 million residents. The plan was rejected at that time by Egypt.

Abbas met with the Egyptian president in Cairo last week, and throughout the summer's war in Gaza, he consistently supported Sissi's ceasefire plan. But tensions remain high between Egypt and Hamas, the militant Islamist group that controls Gaza and is an offshoot of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, which Sissi's military-backed government has declared a terrorist group. Egypt has also been struggling to regain control of the vast Sinai desert, where unrest and Islamist extremism have simmered since the 2011 revolution in Egypt.

The Palestinian Maan News Agency reported Monday that al-Tayyib Abd al-Rahim, the secretary-general of Abbas's office, as saying that the Palestinian leadership would not accept any alternative to a Palestinian state on 1967 lines with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

Despite the interest -- and, perhaps, wishful thinking -- in Israel, Ruth Wasserman Lande, a former diplomat at the Israeli embassy in Cairo, insisted the plan “had nothing to do with Israel.”

Anyone have people use this to show how Abbas proved Arabs just want Israel "wiped off the map" yet?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well now.

quote:

Army Radio has learned that the Egyptian president, General al-Sisi, proposed to Mahmoud Abbas to extend the Gaza Strip into the Sinai area and establish a Palestinian state. Also in the proposal: partial autonomy in the West Bank

Aliel Chachar

We reveal on Army Radio this morning (Monday) that the Egyptian President, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, proposed to Mahmoud Abbas a far-reaching plan. According to this plan, Egypt will provide a 1,600 square kilometer area near the Gaza Strip, an area that will make the Strip five times its size today, there shall be established a Palestinian state under the total control of the Palestinian Authority. The Palestinian refugees would return to this country and it would be demilitarized.

In addition to that "large state of Gaza" there would be autonomy in the Palestinian cities in the territories, where the Palestinian Authority would completely manage the day to day life. In return, Abbas would give up his demand for a return to the '67 borders, since he receives full territorial compensation - and even more - in areas of Sinai, and this will make it easier to find a solution to all the borders between Israel and the PA.

According to the same sources, al-Sisi tried to appeal to Mahmoud Abbas and told him that at his age, 80, if he does not take this offer those who come after will take it, but Abbas was not convinced and rejected the proposal. From what we know, the Americans are also in the picture and gave the green light to the plan, and Prime Minister Netanyahu was also advised of the program. According to a preliminary examination, Netanyahu did not update many around him about the program.

A similar program has been raised by Israeli academics in the past and by former National Security Council head Giora Eiland. Eiland claimed at the time that the area of Gaza is too small to support more than a million residents and therefore it must be increased at the expense of the Sinai, but when this program was raised a few years ago years Egypt rejected it completely. Now the person proposing the plan is the president of Egypt himself.

Just how desolate is the land being offered here? I'm guessing 'incredibly'.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well now.

Also, doesn't it already have inhabitants of its own? I understand the Sinai has quite a lot of Bedouin groups.

Not that I'm expecting Israel to worry about the necessity of population expulsion, but y'know. Can't see the Palestinians wanting it even as an addition to '67 borders.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Sinai Peninsula in general is pretty desolate but I would imagine that the parts directly adjacent to Gaza might be relatively hospitable, that's where Israel built Yamit back in the day, of course everyone knows that the Red Sea coastal line is the actually desirable portion of the peninsula but that's a bit far away.

In principal if it weren't for the obvious 'appease Israel and the US, throw a wrench in the palestinian struggle for statehood, equal rights and recognition' angle it wouldn't have been a wholly negative move, with the way Palestinians are treated in Syria I would definitely consider it a positive change if they had a piece of land they could peacefully settle in under their own sovereignty as a temporary solution but it's hard to ignore the cynical aspects and the implications for the population in the West Bank.

Obliterati posted:

Also, doesn't it already have inhabitants of its own? I understand the Sinai has quite a lot of Bedouin groups.

Not that I'm expecting Israel to worry about the necessity of population expulsion, but y'know. Can't see the Palestinians wanting it even as an addition to '67 borders.

The peninsula is huge by the standards of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, roughly three times the size of the entirety of Israel, with a population of 1.3 million, I don't believe ethnic cleansing would be necessary.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 9, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

Well now.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The Sinai Peninsula in general is pretty desolate but I would imagine that the parts directly adjacent to Gaza might be relatively hospitable, that's where Israel built Yamit back in the day, of course everyone knows that the Red Sea coastal line is the actually desirable portion of the peninsula but that's a bit far away.

In principal if it weren't for the obvious 'appease Israel and the US, throw a wrench in the palestinian struggle for statehood, equal rights and recognition' angle it wouldn't have been a wholly negative move, with the way Palestinians are treated in Syria I would definitely consider it a positive change if they had a piece of land they could peacefully settle in under their own sovereignty as a temporary solution but it's hard to ignore the cynical aspects and the implications for the population in the West Bank.

The peninsula is huge by the standards of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, roughly three times the size of the entirety of Israel, with a population of 1.3 million, I don't believe ethnic cleansing would be necessary.
The Sinai peninsula is big. Really loving big.

(This is some lovely map about "rockets", but it was the best one I could find that showed the cities, roads, and relative sizes of Sinai/Gaza/Israel.)

The big problem is, the Sinai Peninsula is also desolate. Really loving desolate.

(The third picture is the Israel/Egypt border at Eilat.)

The Sinai peninsula is a lot like Libya (and other countries that border the Sahara) in that there's lots of land, but most of the population lives on the coast or clusters at some sort of oasis; you can have all the desert land you want, but it's the water that's important. Also, most of the livable places already have people living there, be they Egyptians on the coast or Bedouins at the desert oases.

Essentially, if this plan were to actually be implemented, it would probably end up similar to the Navajo Nation: lots of land, but most of said land is crappy and unusable for anything outside of tourism (Mount Sinai is actually a big tourist spot, but Egypt would probably keep it in any sort of deal), rock climbing, dirt biking, and trying to scrape out a meager existence. Of course, this isn't even considering the politics at play, the logistics of relocation, the fact that quite a few Palestinians justifiably may not want to go live in a loving desert hellhole, and that the Egyptians and Bedouins already living there might would almost certainly throw a shitfit at being told to leave/move/get used to your new neighbors. (Well, the Bedouins would just be ignored, like they always are.:smith:)

Even so, if it finally got Israel to finally leave the Palestinians the gently caress alone, it might be worth considering. That really says it all about just how bad the Palestinians have it.:smith:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 9, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The way to solve the I/P issue where Israeli's moved into Palestinian land and pissed off all the locals, is to shuffle all the Palestinians into somebody elses land. The Sinai is a hotbed of terrorism right now, and you never know when Sisi could go strongman and start a war on Islamists again. Isn't Egypt pretty unsympathetic towards the Palestinians right now, anyways? This whole thing sounds completely unrealistic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

The way to solve the I/P issue where Israeli's moved into Palestinian land and pissed off all the locals, is to shuffle all the Palestinians into somebody elses land. The Sinai is a hotbed of terrorism right now, and you never know when Sisi could go strongman and start a war on Islamists again. Isn't Egypt pretty unsympathetic towards the Palestinians right now, anyways? This whole thing sounds completely unrealistic.

Of course it's unrealistic, it's just another trojan horse of a 'proposal' from the 'give them an offer they can't accept' school of thought, Sisi is just following Israel's lead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have an idea, let's relocate all the West Bank settlers in the Sinai instead. And also all the Israeli south of the Gaza City-Hebron line, so that Palestine can be contiguous.

I'm sure the Palestinians would accept. The Israeli would accept too, since they think relocating in the Sinai is a good idea.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

I have an idea, let's relocate all the West Bank settlers in the Sinai instead. And also all the Israeli south of the Gaza City-Hebron line, so that Palestine can be contiguous.

I'm sure the Palestinians would accept. The Israeli would accept too, since they think relocating in the Sinai is a good idea.

Speaking of contiguous Palestine, I know the UN borders are moot at this point but what exactly was the reasoning for splitting the proposed arab state into 3 chunks while Israel was contiguous? It seems like giving the Negev to the arabs would be a huge boon (an arab-controlled landlink between Gaza, its theoretical port, and the West Bank) without exactly depriving Israel of any prime real estate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be precise, the Palestinians would still keep Areas A and B of the West Bank as well as the whole Gaza Strip under this deal. It's just that they'd permanently lose all claim to Area C (translation - the good bits of the West Bank), it's not clear what would happen to the 100,000 Palestinians presently living in said Area, and the new, sort-of-kind-of-expanded Palestine would not have the right to provide its own security - that'd be the IDF and Egypt's job.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This is almost the same thing as trail-of-tearsing the American Indians to Oklahoma. How little has changed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why should the Palestinians leave their land? Offer the Sinai to the Israelis and expand Palestinian land back equivalently.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Volkerball posted:

Isn't Egypt pretty unsympathetic towards the Palestinians right now, anyways? This whole thing sounds completely unrealistic.

I don't know about Palestinians generally, but the ruling clique in Egypt these days is, if I remember right, hostile to Hamas in particular since it is/was closely aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

“The biggest provisions would be authorizing states and local governments to divest from companies deemed to be participating in BDS; denial of federal contracts to such companies; and threatening the conditioning of the US-EU free trade pact on the EU taking action to stop BDS activities within its jurisdictions,” said a Republican foreign policy adviser familiar with the legislation. The bill, the adviser said, originated with a top aide to Illinois Senator Mark Kirk and has now been “expanded” by AIPAC, which is working with House and Senate offices on the draft.

“This legislation could really change the global dynamic with respect to BDS — in effect, it’s a boycott of those who boycott,” the adviser said. “It applies the successes we learned from Iran sanctions and applies them to those who seek Israel’s political destruction.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/pro-israel-activists-aim-to-block-boycott-movement-with-legi#26gp4ad

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
They're going to try and make the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership dependent upon EU support against the BDS movement? Wow, that's ballsy as gently caress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

They're going to try and make the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership dependent upon EU support against the BDS movement? Wow, that's ballsy as gently caress.

Did you see the piece the New Yorker did on AIPAC?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/friends-israel

They've been ridiculously ballsy lately. Outright sabotaging politicians and policies that they disagree with. I can just imagine Obama standing in front of one of their reps like "I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. YOU ARE A LOBBYIST," then sighing and doing what they say.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Did you see the piece the New Yorker did on AIPAC?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/friends-israel

They've been ridiculously ballsy lately. Outright sabotaging politicians and policies that they disagree with. I can just imagine Obama standing in front of one of their reps like "I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. YOU ARE A LOBBYIST," then sighing and doing what they say.

I saw that one. But threatening to add an amendment like that to already troubled talks on the TTIP pact would... well it certainly won't contribute to the success of talks on the pact. The EU certainly would be pissed.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

I know you're joking, but the Palestinians actually did get thrown out of Jordan specifically due to the PLO being huge shits.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

New Division posted:

I saw that one. But threatening to add an amendment like that to already troubled talks on the TTIP pact would... well it certainly won't contribute to the success of talks on the pact. The EU certainly would be pissed.

If the UK left the EU (we wont), the only nation present in the EU who did not vote to recognise the Palestinian State will be the Czech Republic.

There must be something in TTIP that Europe really, really wants because Israel is universally unpopular here.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Spangly A posted:

If the UK left the EU (we wont), the only nation present in the EU who did not vote to recognise the Palestinian State will be the Czech Republic.

There must be something in TTIP that Europe really, really wants because Israel is universally unpopular here.

Geeze, what did the Palestinians ever do to the Czechs?

As for what Europe really wants, right now it seems to be a lift on the US export ban on oil.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Groucho Marx posted:

Straightforward, clear and concise?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Straightforward, clear and concise?

God I hope you're trolling.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

New Division posted:

Geeze, what did the Palestinians ever do to the Czechs?

As for what Europe really wants, right now it seems to be a lift on the US export ban on oil.

There's a US export ban? The reason the US are going along with Iranian sanctions (and why Israel wants them) is that Iran is nearly totally reliant on importing US crude and an energy-independent Iran would be a stabilising force in the middle east, something which terrifies Israel.

TTIP might be a hot plate of poo poo but given Russia are literally invading Ukraine for fear of losing control of the pipeline to the EU, it's probably a better option. I don't see why "sell it to us or we side with Putin" isn't a better option, though.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The US export ban on oil is a legacy of the 1970s oil shocks. It's still around because if it was lifted the US voters would see higher prices at the pump.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wow, that Sinai proposal is a really naked attempt at ethnic cleansing. There's no loving way.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I thought that proposal was blatantly fake and only being reported on by Israeli news sources? Or did I misread that first article?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vintagepurple posted:

Speaking of contiguous Palestine, I know the UN borders are moot at this point but what exactly was the reasoning for splitting the proposed arab state into 3 chunks while Israel was contiguous? It seems like giving the Negev to the arabs would be a huge boon (an arab-controlled landlink between Gaza, its theoretical port, and the West Bank) without exactly depriving Israel of any prime real estate.

Actually neither state was contiguous. They were split up to three chunks each. It was basically a plan that could result in nothing other than a civil war even if all sides initially accepted it:

death .cab for qt posted:

I thought that proposal was blatantly fake and only being reported on by Israeli news sources? Or did I misread that first article?

Yeah, Israel Army Radio being the only source? Questionable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pretty fun despite being an outright plagiarization?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Groucho Marx posted:

Marx was right.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spangly A posted:

The European population, when they've heard of it, is mostly hostile to TTIP.

Which is probably why Brussels wants it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When even the IDF is opening criminal investigations, that makes the persistent denials of any wrongdoing looks kind of ridiculous. Among other things:

---

The Chief Military Advocate General, Major General Danny Efroni, has announced the opening of a criminal investigation into the July 24 attack on a school in northern Gaza belonging to the UN agency, in which 14 Palestinians were killed, and an attack on a beach in Gaza eight days earlier, in which four children were killed.

---

What will come of it? A slap on the wrist? Two slaps on the wrist? We shall see. I wonder if the new UN commission will go into the light sentences these investigations mysteriously lead to. Although having started its own investigations, I predict that international pressure will subside. :sigh:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No wrists are getting slapped, you're gonna get variations of 'given the limited intelligence and life or death circumstances surrounding these incidents the soldiers involved were acting in accordance to their best judgement and made the utmost efforts to avoid harming civilians and damaging civilian infrastructure'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Spoke Lee posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/08/israelis-warm-to-a-palestinian-state-carved-out-of-egypt/

Anyone have people use this to show how Abbas proved Arabs just want Israel "wiped off the map" yet?

Is there any confirmation of this at all from a non-Israeli source, or even a non-IDF force? It lines up so incredibly perfectly with Israeli propaganda interests that, considering the source, it really lacks credibility.

• Locked thread