Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I Love You! posted:

You will never be able to raid :(

Raid?

That is a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Veloxyll posted:

3 shields, 1 sword. Prostrat

Four shields, chi shoes for offense, two copper arms holding additional shields.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Raid?

That is a thing?
Ctrl-Shift-Click with a commander with the "Pillage" skill and possibly some other ones? It's like a remote pillage order. Kills pop, gets some gold.

You'll maybe thank me later, I dunno, never use it because it was completely broken in an early iteration of the game. Apparently amazing if you give Caelan commanders Implementor Axes, though. Completely gut provinces from a huge distance.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Ctrl-Shift-Click with a commander with the "Pillage" skill and possibly some other ones? It's like a remote pillage order. Kills pop, gets some gold.

You'll maybe thank me later, I dunno, never use it because it was completely broken in an early iteration of the game. Apparently amazing if you give Caelan commanders Implementor Axes, though. Completely gut provinces from a huge distance.

Wasn't someone saying this was currently busted because you couldn't catch flying raiders with patrollers? I don't know if that's true or not but it'd be pretty dumb if so.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Wasn't someone saying this was currently busted because you couldn't catch flying raiders with patrollers? I don't know if that's true or not but it'd be pretty dumb if so.

This is true and you should exploit the gently caress out of it where you can cause your neighbors will too.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is true and you should exploit the gently caress out of it where you can cause your neighbors will too.

Also sailing.

Also even if you could be caught it would be incredible. You're spending a scout turn to rain of toads a capital and steal money in respectable quantities. And you can repeat it over and over and worst case scenario you eventually lose your 8 gem investment (guess what fire gems are valuable now). Raiding is one of the strongest abilities in the game hands-down and implementor axe is maybe the single most busted item/spell in the game.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turn 34: Tokyo Story

Wait a second where did the rest of our army go

This isn't good

Leogryphs are scrubs. They're almost sort of okay, maybe, if you just want some HP between you and the enemy to buy you some time to actually do something and have an extremely powerful nature mage to summon them, since they have pretty decent morale, but there are so many other things that are just way more efficient

Sieges suck. I have no idea how to script troops for them, I just do whatever and it usually works out.

By the time our pretender his ripped through all the bugs, all of our asrapa are dead from enemy priest banishment and the enemy mages have all fled.

Totally worth the losses, though.

The raksharaja I left leading our rakshasa warriors got seduced and murdered by one of Pangaea's dryads. I'm dumb and forgot to just set our pretender to lead everything, but it worked out well enough.

Just taking what undefended land I can, and converging just about everything on Gentle Woods, where I expect there to be a real resistance.

Jabbernia was a similarly bloody affair.

More dancing around with Niefelheim. One more turn until we have blood 7, and then another 2-3 before he dies, hopefully. We did finally claim that throne down in the south though.

This is a nice throne! +1 reinvigoration isn't a big deal or anything, but 3 earth gems and gnomes are nice.

Gnomes are really only useful for helping us to break into earth more than we currently have. I'll recruit at least a few to search for magic sites.

There is a pretty fantastic summon that we are able to get since we've gotten blood 6, though.

Dakinis are incredible. They're only 50 blood slaves apiece, fly, have damage reversal like our pretender, have amazing magic paths, and are easily summoned by our raksharaja and rakshasi. They're far superior to the raksharaja. Unfortunately, like all our demons, chaos power limits their usefulness as a flying raider, which is what I would love to do with them. It's not going to stop me from summoning at least one every turn though

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I love it when dead LPs update. Keep up the good work!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this lp is about as dead as most of the forces in a typical game of dominions

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

I Love You! posted:

You will never be able to raid :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Fighting a two-front war for so long must be draining. Hope Yomi can put a decent dent in Pangaea.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

I love it when dead LPs update. Keep up the good work!

thank

Turn 35: Moving On

Finally

National spells are in blue. As you can see, we got a new summon at blood 5 and 7, but they're too expensive for me to want to use right now. To quote their descriptions:

quote:

Sandhyabalas, the Ones-Strong-in-Twilight, are demon-ogres of the night. They can only be summoned at dusk and their powers are greatest in darkness. Sandhyabalas are demon warriors of great renown, but they are even more vulnerable to fire than other Rakshasas. They wield magical moon blades that cause additional harm to magical beings.

Sandhyabalas cost 10 blood slaves apiece, and can only be summoned 3 at a time. They're probably better than our rakshasa warriors, but not twice as expensive better. They ARE stealthy however, which can be a pretty big deal.

quote:

Samanishadas, the Night Walkers, are demon assassins of great renown. They can only be summoned at dusk and their powers are greatest in darkness. They wield magical moon blades and duskdaggers that will cut through all forms of armor.

The samanishada is basically a commander version of the sandhyabala. They have almost the same stats, and minor equipment differences. They cost 35 blood slaves apiece, and don't have any magic paths, so I won't be bothering with them.

One summon that we unlocked way back at blood 1 but that I never talked about is the rakshasas. They're more expensive than asrapas, but have no weapons or armour whatsoever, just 2 claw attacks, so they don't really have a place in our lineup.

Since we've finished blood 7 I'm going to diversify our research a litte, I'd like 4-5 in most schools for various reasons, and 6 construction. Once we've finished all those we'll be going up to blood 8 and probably thaumaturgy 7 and enchantment 7, for some global rituals and powerful summons.

We're storming Gentle Woods and Mictlan this turn. One of our commanders in Mictlan got asssassinated by a dryad but that's okay. At both fortresses, I have roughly half a dozen scouts hanging around as dryad bait, hopefully our real commanders don't get killed.

Now that we have leech researched, our dance with Niefelheim is almost at its end. I'm getting all of our available mages together for this, I have no idea how many it'll take to finish him off.

I've also found an immediate use for our dakini.

The Royal Green is the throne guarded by the Annunaki of the Sky that has been sitting in our territory, unclaimable by us, for quite some time. Every dakini has either a frost or fire brand, and a vine shield. My plan is to have them instantly fly to and annihilate him. On turn 1 he usually just casts a self buff like mistform, so when we get our turn the dakini should all fly at and annihilate him. Hopefully they don't get distracted by the indie commanders that are with him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Please Summon Mandehas

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Do you have any strong Astral-Blood mages? cause one spell on the Blood 7 list immediately stood out to me :kheldragar::hf::cthulhu:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

I Love You! posted:

Also sailing.

Also even if you could be caught it would be incredible. You're spending a scout turn to rain of toads a capital and steal money in respectable quantities. And you can repeat it over and over and worst case scenario you eventually lose your 8 gem investment (guess what fire gems are valuable now). Raiding is one of the strongest abilities in the game hands-down and implementor axe is maybe the single most busted item/spell in the game.

Non-flying and non-sailing raiders get caught super easy. 25 PD will catch a single walking raider raiding from an adjacent province about half the time, the issue with flying and sailing raiding is you can't get caught.

Note that when I say caught I don't mean the "Your raider retreated and only dealt minor damage" message you get from flying\sailing raiders when they try and raid a high pd province, I mean your raider gets caught and has to fight the province PD and any patrollers and as a result he kills no people and steals no gold. ~30 - 40 guys patrolling a province should render it totally immune to being raided by walking raiders, but won't do poo poo to stop flying and sailing raiders because :v:

Having high PD in a province will also render it resistant to flying and sailing raids; I dunno how much PD exactly is needed but when you have enough flying raiders will send you a message that they tried to raid and encountered too many forces and retreated. When this happens they won't steal any gold and will only kill 1/10th as much population as they would normally (100 - 200 people usually).

Maybe this is what PD is for; countering implementor axe shenanegins :v:

Archenteron posted:

Do you have any strong Astral-Blood mages? cause one spell on the Blood 7 list immediately stood out to me :kheldragar::hf::cthulhu:

Lanka doesn't get Astral, so no she doesn't unless she happens to cast Bind Demon Lord and gets the Prince of Lust. I think that's the only way Lanka can actually get a decent astral\blood caster without empowering (finding astral guys and then empowering them in blood is probably far more likely).

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 15, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

The Royal Green is the throne guarded by the Annunaki of the Sky that has been sitting in our territory, unclaimable by us, for quite some time. Every dakini has either a frost or fire brand, and a vine shield. My plan is to have them instantly fly to and annihilate him. On turn 1 he usually just casts a self buff like mistform, so when we get our turn the dakini should all fly at and annihilate him. Hopefully they don't get distracted by the indie commanders that are with him.

Why not attack large monsters instead of rear, there wasnt any other particuarly big stuff with him iirc?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

In the middle of a 14 hour workday, I have like 45 minutes free. Time to spend part of it posting a dumb internet thing

Turn 36: Sentimental

FUCK

AND

PISS!!!!

This guy has inflicted more serious losses on us than any human player in this entire game. More than every other human player combined. I'm going to DESTROY him, I realised shortly after seeing these battle results that there is a fantastic item that I can forge that will completely neutralise his phantasmal warriors. I'll be making another attempt in 3 turns.

Also, every single time I actually name something it either dies or gets horribly mauled. I should probably stop naming things, or just name everything.

This is the largest battle we've fought since Gwyrth, although it's far less important and not nearly as risky.

Pangaea is using a summon I've never seen before. They don't seem particularly useful outside of killing human chaff when there's nothing you can do and no way to actually win other than loving up the enemy long enough for someone else to kill them.

Our pretender gets stuck right in.

Nothing can touch her and she murders everything near her, so the enemy break and run.

Who's this?

Just the guy who cast mother oak.

Mother Oak is down and up for grabs. I might research my way to it and try to cast it later, but it's not a high priority right now.

Pangaea has gone AI. That's every player on our side of the map taken care of, outside of Niefelheim's roaming god who will take another 2-3 turns to kill.

I was going to immediately invade Ulm, but had a conversation with their player, flavahbeast.

quote:

<Flavahbeast> yo idk what kailasa/ur told you but we're completely stalemated in the north right now, if I move my big defensive army to block your dudes ur and kailasa might start to make real inroads, ur is already about the same size as me
<modpud> how about if u just give me those 3 southern provinces so we can have pretty borders and then ill go kill someone else :)
<Flavahbeast> borders will be prettier if you just take 87, I actually really do need the income from those provinces to not get rolled over by ulm/kailasa

Good enough for me. Abysia will probably be much easier to invade anyways, Kitfox88 is probably the weakest player in the game and has the throne of air, which is a throne that I would really like to have soon.

I'm taking at least a turn or three to cool off and do some research/summon some things, all of our rakshasa warriors are extremely vulnerable to fire, and fire magic is all Abysia really has.

I'm empowering our pretender in water magic as well, for a particular nice spell that will help to counter Abysia. Empowering is something people don't seem to do nearly enough, along with alchemising gems. Empowering, if I havent explained it before, is expending a large quantity of gems to either give a mage brand new paths(like we're doing) or to make their abilities in whatever paths they already have even greater.

Alchemising, on the other hand, is transmuting gems to different types. 2 of any gem can be turned into an astral pearl, and 2 astral pearls can be turned into any gem. You can do this at any time during your turn, it doesn't take a mage wasting its turn to do or anything. It's completely instant, and incredibly powerful. It's definitely been partially responsible for at least a few of my victories.

The dance goes on. Three or four more turns and it'll be over.

Turn 37: Regret

Absolutely nothing actually happened this turn. Some things got set in motion, which you'll see next turn, but I was out of town and super busy when this turn happened and didn't feel like taking screenshots since it was so uneventful.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

How many blood slaves were you pulling in a turn at this point? Did you have any plans for flaming arrows or is it too risky with your vulnerable demons?

If it was me those lizard priests that pop up occasionally would be packing curse in the hopes of hitting your pretender.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Would you mind giving us a general breakdown of what your mages are doing, and what percentage are doing what? You've got a handful running around with armies, it looks like, but I imagine the bulk of your mages are on blood hunt & research duty?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Air magic best magic.

You still have that Black Mirror with its powers to dispel all illusions all the time. And since now it needs Astral anyhow...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What are your hopes and dreams for the simian people of kailasa? If a high priest proposed a way to reduce unrest without diminishing your great strength, would you allow it to be ratified? As a Devi, do you feel like you have something extra to prove in the war between pretenders, beyond your divinity?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Air magic best magic.

You still have that Black Mirror with its powers to dispel all illusions all the time. And since now it needs Astral anyhow...

Heh yeah she doesn't need to forge an Eye of the Void, now that the Black Mirror is not really useful for its mind hunts it will do just fine for dispelling all those phantasmal warriors.

Although an item you can give to any S1 and have them mind hunt would be nice if she had a lizard province to make astral guys.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Things are looking up. I'm wondering who can stop the monkeys now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Given the chance to put a knife in Flavahbeast's back, I think I'd have gone for it.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Flython posted:

How many blood slaves were you pulling in a turn at this point? Did you have any plans for flaming arrows or is it too risky with your vulnerable demons?

If it was me those lizard priests that pop up occasionally would be packing curse in the hopes of hitting your pretender.

I think they did actually curse my pretender in this fight, because I noticed she was cursed shortly afterwards. It's not a big deal though, since after this I pretty much ceased to use her as a front line combat machine, since she had some Pretty Massive Vulnerabilities that I didn't want anyone to exploit. As far as blood slave income, I'm not entirely sure. 100-200 slaves a turn, vaguely

Arcturas posted:

Would you mind giving us a general breakdown of what your mages are doing, and what percentage are doing what? You've got a handful running around with armies, it looks like, but I imagine the bulk of your mages are on blood hunt & research duty?

Almost all of my mages at this point in the game were either blood hunting or researching. I had 3 raktapata blood hunting in almost every province regardless of population at this point in the game, and outside of raksharaja being used to bless units I wasn't bothering with battle magic. I also had a few casting the site searching magic rituals, which reveal all magic sites of a certain type in a province, in exchange for some gems.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Given the chance to put a knife in Flavahbeast's back, I think I'd have gone for it.

I honestly don't think flavahbeast is super great

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What are your hopes and dreams for the simian people of kailasa? If a high priest proposed a way to reduce unrest without diminishing your great strength, would you allow it to be ratified? As a Devi, do you feel like you have something extra to prove in the war between pretenders, beyond your divinity?

i'm gay

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I've read a couple Dom3 LPs before, one of which was a monkey kingdom as well if I remember correctly. But I don't recall what happens when a player goes AI. I remember the AI isn't particularly good but is it so predictable that you can walk your way through them at minimal cost, or do they become super non-aggressive, or is it just that when a player goes AI it indicates that they're left in an almost-dead position so it's just an easy way of acknowledging that someone has been taken out of the game? What would happen if you were to go AI now and let the AI continue -- would that be more or less a death sentence for your pretender?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The AI is not great at mid/late game tactics. So it doesn't script mages or anything. It just builds troops. Which still have their place later in the game mind you, and one game I would've won easily if I'd remembered that oh, I have the best infantry in the game to wreck everyone with. As well as my summons. But basically, by this point mages can easily clear armies out. And the AI uses only armies. So it does not provide much of a threat.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Would it be possible to get a complete image of the map, to see what the heck is going on and the relative (known) sizes of bordering empires? I know the usefulness of this is dependant on your scouting, but you could add amusingly inept and insulting mspaint annotations!

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
While you won't see the AI doing communions or any thing else fancy, it does build armies, and recruit mages. If it has the resources it does a lot of both. Then it just starts chucking them at you. It also likes spending its gems on said mages and on various summons. While a late game AI on it own can't really present a credible threat to a player with any sort of clue, they can be large annoying pests that back cap even moderately defended provinces with large armies, and pressure you. They will also try to go for thrones. There are also a bunch of mods that make them a lot more threatening. A lame duck player with a handful of provinces, no pretender, and no resources who goes AI will just flounder around attacking everything around it with trash armies mostly being an annoyance. If a player who has a really good shot at winning the game goes AI it will thoroughly entrench itself, continuing to build up forces and attack adjacent targets relentlessly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What a player goes AI in a multiplayer game... at what level is the AI? Is it chosen in the initial game setup?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

What a player goes AI in a multiplayer game... at what level is the AI? Is it chosen in the initial game setup?

Default full retard AI with no resource multipliers or anything.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Default full retard AI with no resource multipliers or anything.

Uhh. Obviously AI is bad in every difficulty, but it would be more interesting if by default mp games would use at least +100% resources. And surely it a one line change in the code. Illwinteeeeer!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh. Obviously AI is bad in every difficulty, but it would be more interesting if by default mp games would use at least +100% resources. And surely it a one line change in the code. Illwinteeeeer!
For gently caress's sakes no.

If you don't play with some kind of AI recruitment-restricting mod, they will get literally hundreds of tribal indies within a couple of turns and just wade that poo poo into you or garrison it, which is a logistical pain either way if you've got decent research and your mages are going to fire off a bunch of gems' worth of spells as a result.

Having that doubled does not make the game more fun. It already makes sieges on somewhat-intact players who go AI take for loving ever, along with their special resurrection bonuses which mean you can easily run into a pretender being resurrected in a capital siege pretty much every turn. If that's a dragon, it means you have to commit at least some higher-quality troops so your sieging force of indie slingers doesn't lose their poo poo because a dragon killed half a dozen of them with a breath weapon attack and was Very Imposing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AIs are a drag on the game. You are better off trying to convince people to maybe not AI at the drop of a hat or find a sub. Really it's bad form imo to AI if you aren't nearly entirely dead with the bulk of your troops/mage corps destroyed with very little/no territory remaining to your name.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The game really doesn't hold up without people to play against. Which is a shame because last time I tried I totally wussed out in less than a week.

I had this plan about using Ermor's ethereal sacreds with death weapons (this is dom 3) to do some stuff and it turns out that it's fine for neutrals, but it won't get me very far against a person. Which is why you really need to play against people.

If you're not, you're just playing a really weird, clunky strategy game. But throw a savvy opponent in the mix and you're playing a weird, clunky, irritating strategy game that is also wonderful and cool. If you're not like me, and can actually be mature enough to watch your plans explode when someone uses a spell you didn't know about or understand or whatever.

I think I also exhausted myself by naming all my poo poo. You've got to pick your moment on that.

Weirdly, I subbed in for a C'tis guy who was wussing out in a *different* game at around the same time, and I had much more fun with that, despite having no idea what the gently caress to do with all those lizards. Other than, you know, make lizard puns.

Maybe the secret to the game is to start something, then when you want to go AI, just get a sub, and sub for someone else. Being thrown in the middle of someone else's mess and trying to salvage it lacks the 'oh no, my plans!' aspect.

So I guess the summary to this post is 'subs are great and good for the environment-it's player recycling'.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

AIs are a drag on the game. You are better off trying to convince people to maybe not AI at the drop of a hat or find a sub. Really it's bad form imo to AI if you aren't nearly entirely dead with the bulk of your troops/mage corps destroyed with very little/no territory remaining to your name.

Yeah it makes the game much more interesting, i remember a game where i crushed another player early on but they kept up a protracted guerilla war that really screwed with my effectiveness for a long time and made it way more interesting than just "i wont 2-3 early battles and got a huge lead for little skill".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

So I guess the summary to this post is 'subs are great and good for the environment-it's player recycling'.
Or "Dom's nothing without its subs."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thread remains good, thanks for the good thread, OP.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Would it be possible to get a complete image of the map, to see what the heck is going on and the relative (known) sizes of bordering empires? I know the usefulness of this is dependant on your scouting, but you could add amusingly inept and insulting mspaint annotations!

I am not sober

These are super vaguely the borders people have at this point in the game. Most of them were nearly totally static, Ulm and Ur were pushing back and forth(at one point Ur was down to its cap circle I believe?) but most of the borders didn't move a whole lot

I had little to no scouting in the north so I had nearly no idea what was going on at the time

I haven't actually looked at any of my screenshots for this lettuce play or looked at the map myself in-game so I have no idea how accurate any of this actually is/was

e: h the the thing that is the question marks was probably hinnom's. We'll probably see in a few posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

garth ferengi posted:

I am not sober

Never be.

• Locked thread