Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CampingCarl posted:

Which reminded me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkYmVWdxVE
Team works its way up relatively high up in the league(CAL-M I think) where matches start being cast and then gently caress around in amazing ways.

CS was just objectively better when you could 5 man stack, shoot boost and wallbang across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
There's really no reason to remove multi-person boosts other than hating fun. There are still a bunch of hilarious stacking boosts you can do on maps that nobody has any idea about. One of my new favorites is smoking outside and standing behind red box and boosting someone on top of my head to shoot over it into garage on nuke.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

kcer posted:

CS was just objectively better when you could 5 man stack, shoot boost and wallbang across the map.

That through-the-floor defuse on Nuke. Pure laughs.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Cuntpunch posted:

This still works in GO fyi (well, not the defuse, but the shooting the planter- which I've only successfully managed to pull off via tking my teammates after the round is over)

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Had no idea that was possible and lost a CAL match because of it in like 2002; was such an angry teenager for like a week

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

Not sure what others think, but in my own mind if two players have the best spawn as T's, it's impossible for CT to stop the first one getting down and very hard to stop the second - no matter their spawns. Any more than two players is almost certainly a death trap however. Also while we're on the matter of A rushes on nuke, please use both squeaky and hut. That is all.

You can also cause all kinds of havoc if you get down there just by yourself. Them not knowing if a T is going to pop up vents or out of secret or go up ramp is huge. Can't count the number of times I've done that and come up behind one playing mini or got an awper playing garage.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

kcer posted:

I still legitimately don't understand the removal of multi-stacking. I mean, as much as I'd like them back, shoot boosting and wall banging you can kind of get why they'd remove it. But the multi-stacks were so good.

Coleman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 13, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Coleman posted:

I still legitimately don't understand the removal of multi-stacking. I mean, as much as I'd like them back, shoot boosting and wall banging you can kind of get why they'd remove it. But the multi-stacks were so good.

Because then we'd all break the maps in creative ways. As can be seen from this little playthrough on tuscan, without many fancy schmancy boosts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1p4ZmQiIyo

Also, I crumbled and bought the Operation Breakout thing but my first mission is just broken. I click play mission (P2000 kills on deathmatch) but they never register. What's up with that?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Jeza posted:

Also, I crumbled and bought the Operation Breakout thing but my first mission is just broken. I click play mission (P2000 kills on deathmatch) but they never register. What's up with that?
Mission counters only update at the end of a game and bot kills don't count.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What limits mission drops? At this rate the Operation is going to end before I get 6 more.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Jeza posted:

Because then we'd all break the maps in creative ways. As can be seen from this little playthrough on tuscan, without many fancy schmancy boosts:

Yeah but stuff like this is found for every map every time it's released. When cbble first got added, a bunch of us were on the Goon server just looking for them, we figured out you could solo jump into the upper level of the tree, theres a small ledge boost in the back alley to A, a couple of "invisible bomb" plants. Multi-stacks shouldn't break too much, because anywhere it could be abused either already has a skybox or the skybox can be lowered to prevent seeing over/through solid walls.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Favela had the best map boost glitch lol

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

CampingCarl posted:

Mission counters only update at the end of a game and bot kills don't count.

Son of a bitch. Thanks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Favela had the best map boost glitch lol

This is the only one I used consistently because it would take like 4 or 5 rounds until the other team would figure it out.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Elysiume posted:

Does ranking up/down take into account personal performance or is it a standard Elo system that's just wins/losses?

There's a huge guide on the CS guides in your steam overlay.

tl;dr it's done on round wins and losses vs expected round outcome (NOT on match win/loss, it's done per round) and MVP only. No other statitstics.

But none of this is confirmed. Still a good read.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Does anyone know how to increase ingame voice volume, because even when I put voice_scale to 1 everyone still sounds a bit quiet

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

HiipFire posted:

Does anyone know how to increase ingame voice volume, because even when I put voice_scale to 1 everyone still sounds a bit quiet

Turn everything else down and turn your sound up.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

There's a huge guide on the CS guides in your steam overlay.

tl;dr it's done on round wins and losses vs expected round outcome (NOT on match win/loss, it's done per round) and MVP only. No other statitstics.

But none of this is confirmed. Still a good read.
I just went to read this and the first thing I noticed is that they presented no evidence at all to support their idea. I really hate articles like that because people always assume they are true even if later they are presented proof that it is wrong. That it is done per round is at least plausible and that the MVP always gets significantly more than the team is certainly something you would need to back up.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

I just went to read this and the first thing I noticed is that they presented no evidence at all to support their idea. I really hate articles like that because people always assume they are true even if later they are presented proof that it is wrong. That it is done per round is at least plausible and that the MVP always gets significantly more than the team is certainly something you would need to back up.

Valve commented on it and stuff and didn't disagree with it. Though they did say CS uses a different system to ELO, which is what the guide is written about.

Please check you are sources.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Valve commented on it and stuff and didn't disagree with it. Though they did say CS uses a different system to ELO, which is what the guide is written about.

Please check you are sources.
I read the Valve comment. It doesn't go against anything in my post. It certainly doesn't back up per round or MVP bonus. So at worst the guide is incorrect and at best it doesn't give any reason to believe it over the alternatives. At least last time someone ran a test.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

I read the Valve comment. It doesn't go against anything in my post. It certainly doesn't back up per round or MVP bonus. So at worst the guide is incorrect and at best it doesn't give any reason to believe it over the alternatives. At least last time someone ran a test.

I've got to disagree with you on all of that, to be honest. The guide perfectly answers the question.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Jeza posted:

Not sure what others think, but in my own mind if two players have the best spawn as T's, it's impossible for CT to stop the first one getting down and very hard to stop the second - no matter their spawns. Any more than two players is almost certainly a death trap however. Also while we're on the matter of A rushes on nuke, please use both squeaky and hut. That is all.

Oh, if it's so tight as to be spawn dependent then I'm sure I'm just not doing it correctly. I start getting hosed down when coming out of squeaky. I'm either not quick enough or I spawned too far back.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I've got to disagree with you on all of that, to be honest. The guide perfectly answers the question.
You could make several changes to that guide and it would still answer the question perfectly. There are several possible ways the ranking system could work and we just don't know which is correct. That guide is just one of them and doesn't offer any reason to believe it compared to the others. The Valve post even says they use a different system than the one described in the guide. He could be right on some part, and could be wrong on others.

The only people who can actually answer the question is Valve and they likely won't ever do it. Any guide claiming they have solved it better have a ton of evidence to back it up or should be treated as just one of the several possibilities. This applies to pretty much every game with a matchmaking system too and people always get it wrong.

CampingCarl fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 13, 2014

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
Is this breakout thing worth picking up for .99 or does it cease to do anything once the new operation is released.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Just played and lost 16-1 against a 5 LEM premade, my team being 3 russian non-comms (actually they shouted during changeover) as a group and a polish guy. My teammates ranks at the end were: LE for the polish guy and DMG, DMG, MGE for the russians. Truly, a fair matchmaking and pleasant matchmaking experience.

Just going to run a body temperature bath and fetch a razorblade brb

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

mythadile posted:

Is this breakout thing worth picking up for .99 or does it cease to do anything once the new operation is released.

it's worth it if you can complete a few of the missions for cheap skins

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

mythadile posted:

I got a 60 dollar skin from it, so yes

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

You could make several changes to that guide and it would still answer the question perfectly. There are several possible ways the ranking system could work and we just don't know which is correct. That guide is just one of them and doesn't offer any reason to believe it compared to the others. The Valve post even says they use a different system than the one described in the guide. He could be right on some part, and could be wrong on others.

The only people who can actually answer the question is Valve and they likely won't ever do it. Any guide claiming they have solved it better have a ton of evidence to back it up or should be treated as just one of the several possibilities. This applies to pretty much every game with a matchmaking system too and people always get it wrong.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mythadile posted:

2 case drops and you'll have made money from it, even ignoring the missions.

down with slavery posted:

Pengy has ruled in favor of XP. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up one of those passes the day it went on sale, I got 6 missions last week and got six crappy skins, and a operation breakout case, the latter I sold immediately for 82 cents, which pretty much covered the cost of the thing though by now you're looking at a lot less for them. Apparantly it will go on for around two more weeks or so.

As far as the missions go, I just sat around on an idle server for a bit and then bam, two more missions appeared.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
Already got 3 skins, worth it.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Turn everything else down and turn your sound up.

but then my ears die whenever someone shoots an AWP

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

HiipFire posted:

but then my ears die whenever someone shoots an AWP

Don't give them the chance. Kill them before they fire a single shot.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Don't give them the chance. Kill them before they fire a single shot.

ohh ok

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How to deal with AWPs, a tutorial in one step.

1. shotguns

Note: this works for everything

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 14, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Valve please stop unequipping my guns

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I saw a drop of a red winter offensive case. What the hell?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Vahakyla posted:

Pics? Does it say anything?

Sell it for a billion dollars.

EDIT: Well I guess winter is coming up, it's probably a weird glitch that dropped earlier than expected.

That guy's gonna get a billion dollars.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 14, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vahakyla posted:

Was it just colored red or was it actually called a Red Winter Offensive Case?

The Joe Man posted:

Pics? Does it say anything?

Sell it for a billion dollars.
Pretty sure they just saw it and didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sometimes the team is just too heavy.

• Locked thread