Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I really doubt it's literally one guy for the whole planet, but it might be one guy per major region or something.

It would seem really dumb to have the one guy running all the non-English portal names through Google Translate and basing approvals off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
As far as I'm aware, it's a team, most likely of interns, but I'm pretty sure there's no more than 5 people in total for the entire world

This is all based on second hand info and anecdotes from various people/some discussions with Ethan Lepouttre

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Speaking of Niantic discussions - is anyone else going to the official Niantic event associated with Dragon Con? It's tomorrow night outside Atlanta. There's a panel on it at the con itself but it's not official I think.

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.
Any Seattle Goon's playing this unending game? I'm devmull in game, L8, playing around SLU and Lake Hills.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

devnulll posted:

Any Seattle Goon's playing this unending game? I'm devmull in game, L8, playing around SLU and Lake Hills.

I'm Quappelle. Playing around SLU and Columbia City. L10.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
So at the Dragon Con panel, the same Niantic rep who was at the official off site meet was there and commented on some things, the most probably worrisome was on the subject of cheating.

The panel guys had both been playing since beta and did say there was a hell of a lot less now than before, but it did still happen. The Niantic rep chimed in from the back to say:

"Also, some of the cheaters have the type of personality where if we ban one account of theirs, they come back with six more, so we would rather have only one cheater than six."

:stare:

On the hand, it helps to remember that this game is 100% free and has no IAP (unless you count gas money), and that Niantic's whole business model is to gather up tons of map routing data for Google. Cheating doesn't cut into their bottom line the way it would for subscriptions or a free2pay model.

On the other hand, I was still kind of stunned. If the decision is propelled by simple practicality of business, fine, I've made omelettes where I work too, but ffs you don't just say it loud and proud in front of a hundred players like that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You have to remember that Niantic are learning to be game developers as they go along. They've been blindsided by things in the past and there are still problems they don't know how to fix.

edit: also, one of our local players recently referred to Liberator as the "Goatse Badge"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's a mix of that and the fact they weren't super prepared for the rabid player base.

e: damnit, now I can't unsee it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

edit: also, one of our local players recently referred to Liberator as the "Goatse Badge"

In addition to that, around here the guardian badge is often known as the fisting badge.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Woo, platinum recharging badge. Thanks to all my local teammates that can't be bothered to recharge portals ever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Aside from announcing it, they're right, though. Someone who thinks they're flying under the radar will try to stay that way, so they're unlikely to do anything too extreme, even if they could. Ban them and they're pissed off and no longer have an established account to lose so they're liable to just come back and poo poo everywhere until they get tired of it and move on.

Seeing the usual MMO bullshit ported into a game where you have to go out and possibly meet other players is interesting. Someone at some point suggested giving players anti-player weaponry to shut down the scanner for a minute or something; that'd get people shanked if they did it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Don't forget Cat rear end.

When Ingress starts up, and that rotating logo is there while the game is loading? Cat rear end.

It was worse when that logo was tan.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So we have an airfield here in Uppsala, Sweden, that is strict off limits to anyone except personel. An enlightened member has managed to get ~5-6 portals inside the closed off area approved, and is using them to put up blocking links and fields all around town. We have tried to petition niantec to take the portals down, but we have been unsuccessful.

Is there any way to work around this, or any way to get niantec to realize that this is a big problem?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Post in the portal appeals group.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Jaroslav posted:

So we have an airfield here in Uppsala, Sweden, that is strict off limits to anyone except personel. An enlightened member has managed to get ~5-6 portals inside the closed off area approved, and is using them to put up blocking links and fields all around town. We have tried to petition niantec to take the portals down, but we have been unsuccessful.

Is there any way to work around this, or any way to get niantec to realize that this is a big problem?

Get better at throwing blocking links, there is a RES airport employee who does that here, too.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Javid posted:

Post in the portal appeals group.

They're not going to be removed unless they're on school grounds, niantic consider limited access portals valid. If they're throwing links out the other portal is hopefully accessible and you can take down the link that way.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Note to self: Try to get a portal accepted for the International Space Station.

Niantic didn't say that portals had to stay on the planet, right? :classiclol:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Qu Appelle posted:

Note to self: Try to get a portal accepted for the International Space Station.

Niantic didn't say that portals had to stay on the planet, right? :classiclol:
GPS is tricky in space.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's also not geostationary. Now, if you wanted to try to get a comms satellite that has a fixed location, I think you might actually be able to swing that.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Teddybear posted:

It's also not geostationary. Now, if you wanted to try to get a comms satellite that has a fixed location, I think you might actually be able to swing that.

Good luck taking a picture, though.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Good luck taking a picture, though.

I reckon you could wing it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I started playing because a friend recommended it and I work in a mall so there are a shitload of portals. Apparently everyone around here is a L8-L11 Enlightened, but that works out because I started three days ago and am already L3.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
The thing I learned from this game is that peace poles are apparently everywhere and I can't unsee them anymore.
http://www.peacepoleproject.org/
http://www.peacepoles.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_pole

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I just switched to an Android phone, and picked up Ingress after wanting to play it for a long time. My initial impression: it makes me sad about the death of Shadow Cities. I think I liked the lore of that game a bit better, and PvM banishing spirits gave something to do in between harvesting and PvP stuff.

Did anyone else get into the game with that impression, and is there hidden depth in this game that enriches the experience and makes it worth sticking with? Like, if I'm currently thinking "Shadow Cities with less fun stuff to fiddle around with," should I hang on and expect things to get spicier in time? What are the relative strengths of this title?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Trustworthy posted:

Did anyone else get into the game with that impression, and is there hidden depth in this game that enriches the experience and makes it worth sticking with? Like, if I'm currently thinking "Shadow Cities with less fun stuff to fiddle around with," should I hang on and expect things to get spicier in time? What are the relative strengths of this title?
No idea what Shadow Cities is or was.

There's no PvE content whatsoever, and unlikely there will ever be. There is an upcoming feature called "missions" which (I think) allows players to create custom assignments for each other, but it's still kind of vague and won't land until October at the earliest.

The biggest strength of the game is the community, although in some areas that's a huge downside instead. Look back at the last few pages for some horror stories of cities with poo poo communities. There isn't much hidden depth to the game itself, all of that ends up in the metagame which at times gets close to EVE levels except people are driving cars IRL instead of internet spaceships worth as much as cars.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

If I didn't have a bunch of portals directly outside my office and more around my house, I wouldn't have played long because I have zero desire to waste gas money on the game.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

The thing I learned from this game is that peace poles are apparently everywhere and I can't unsee them anymore.
http://www.peacepoleproject.org/
http://www.peacepoles.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_pole

There's a peace pole that's a couch portal for me.

It's also one that I got submitted and accepted. May the memory of Judith McBride live forever in Ingress :angel:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Coldbird posted:

No idea what Shadow Cities is or was.

Although I'm not very deep into Ingress yet, I feel safe saying that Shadow Cities was its spiritual predecessor in a whole lot of ways; conceptually, aesthetically, and mechanically. Shame the devs didn't really know how to evolve the game post-release; despite having a good run, it stagnated and finally died a year or two ago.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you're looking for lovely portal candidates, remember that there's a Ray Kroc memorial plaque at every McDonalds.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you're looking for lovely portal candidates, remember that there's a Ray Kroc memorial plaque at every McDonalds.

There's a local Wendy's that somehow was accepted. No plaque, no art, just a fast food joint.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

There's a local Wendy's that somehow was accepted. No plaque, no art, just a fast food joint.

"Community gathering place" I guess.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
We had a local guy submit a bunch of individual pictures of homeless people. :/

After seeing that it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there's a massive backlog to portal creation.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My old flat was five minutes' walk away from a park with portals on a bench and a duck house. Meanwhile, the local landmark and tallest building in quite a wide area had nothing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A dude around here loves submitting temporary statues. Anything for the XP I guess.

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py

chemosh6969 posted:

If I didn't have a bunch of portals directly outside my office and more around my house, I wouldn't have played long because I have zero desire to waste gas money on the game.

I have put hundreds of extra miles on my bicycle due to this game. Love it, and its the one game I've allowed myself to get addicted to since I have to MOVE to play it.

I only car-gress during group builds. We've had 8 people in a van before. Good times.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

ilovepy posted:

I have put hundreds of extra miles on my bicycle due to this game. Love it, and its the one game I've allowed myself to get addicted to since I have to MOVE to play it.

I only car-gress during group builds. We've had 8 people in a van before. Good times.

I'll admit I drove a few times when I was grinding away and trying to make a larger sized field than I could normally do on foot.

Yesterday I had a dude from the other side following me around, as I walked) in his car for around 30-45 minutes repairing resonators and replacing mods I'd blow up. He'd park near me, or drive by and I'd watch him do little loops around the block. I'm guessing they were trying to win some checkpoint or they just really wanted the city to be green.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
No that's just general, normal behavior for a small but dedicated faction of the player base.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone else noticed that most of the greenies are the type of people who only went green because then they could say they're enlightened? Pretty much every enlightened player I've met has been a complete sperglord or one of those guys who thinks he's incredibly smart and above everyone else.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure seems to be a theme here in Detroit. The greenies also have a huge and vibrant community here where as the resistance players are pretty casual and don't really group up to do anything.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Has anyone else noticed that most of the greenies are the type of people who only went green because then they could say they're enlightened? Pretty much every enlightened player I've met has been a complete sperglord or one of those guys who thinks he's incredibly smart and above everyone else.

There's plenty of those in my neck of the woods (SF Bay Area).

Luckily, they seem to stick to making aspie-rear end posts on G+. I've noticed demographics of factions in each area is not really terribly dependent on much, except that whole ENLIGHTENMENT thing. Around here, the ENL tend to be a bit younger, and most of them totally love to poo poo-talk the sperglords.

At least when they're in cross-faction chats, they do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tusen Takk posted:

I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure seems to be a theme here in Detroit. The greenies also have a huge and vibrant community here where as the resistance players are pretty casual and don't really group up to do anything.

There's assholes on both sides.

As for the group green vs solo blue stuff, not super surprising. The playerbase tends to be larger on the resistance side in almost every city I've been to so it takes coordination for enlightened to even get anything done.

• Locked thread