Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

dude789 posted:

So one of the nastier things that the White Fiend can do that the game never really explains is create a field effect. His ice breath attack that he'll usually start the fight with creates an ice field effect that will substantially raise the damage of all his other attacks. The only warning you get is a small gray box that appears in the bottom right corner with some ice droplets when you enter in your commands. Fortunately, Lemina can get rid of it with her Erase Magic spell, but between the field effect and his buff skill his damage can quickly get overwhelming if you don't have Lemina work to mitigate it.

I had no idea about the Field Effects and I'm LPing this thing! I wondered what that little icon was, but I figured that the Fiend's damage output was just supposed to be that high.

Camel Pimp posted:

One thing that's really, really nice about the destiny in this game is that's much, much faster (or at least it seems to be.) Also, since the world map's much smaller, it's easier to get around and you can't really get lost (you definitely could in the original.) Although I don't know why the game bottlenecks and forces you on foot; obviously in the original the reason was to make you fight overworld encounters, but there are none here so....

I would say the walk was an attempt to build atmosphere, but the upbeat world map music keeps playing, so I don't know.

Camel Pimp posted:

So fun fact! All the dialogue from the start of the cave is directly copy-pasted from the original. Obviously, this was true in the original. (Betting this is Working Designs' fault, not GameArts) Basically, you have four different paths with the ice chest in each, you get them, and then you walk into the dragon lair. Actually, you do have the white dragon wings by this point, so if you're smart there's very little backtracking at all. Although there is a teleporter puzzle... urgh.

(Oh, and weirdly enough none of the treasures in the ice chests are related to ice in any way. One Dragon Aura Crest, which I don't know is in this version, two pieces of armor for Hiro, neither of which protect against ice or freeze, and an Angel Ring.)

I feel like I should point out that I have had to deal with exactly zero teleporter puzzles so far :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Crowetron posted:

I feel like I should point out that I have had to deal with exactly zero teleporter puzzles so far :tipshat:

Fuckface.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

I had no idea about the Field Effects and I'm LPing this thing! I wondered what that little icon was, but I figured that the Fiend's damage output was just supposed to be that high.

There's a tidbit in the instruction manual about field effects, but it's kind of buried in there, plus not everyone has a manual, like, say, if they bought a used copy. *coughoremulatedcough*

Not to mention that they actually get used so infrequently that it's not surprising that even someone with a manual would forget all about them. I think it's only used by the various fiends and that's about it. Though it's worth mentioning that you can get spells that set field effects with certain crest combinations, but by the time you can do that you've got much cooler combinations to play with, so they go largely unused.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Crowetron posted:

I don't think I figured it out until either the third or fourth fiend. I saw the little icon and and it seemed kind of elemental so I figured that using the field erasing magic was worth a try and... well, it was.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

closeted republican posted:

The third fiend is more annoying than difficult because he's resistant to any sort of magic attacks, meaning you have to take him down in a boring slug-fest with Hiro and Jean slowly attacking him to death while Ronfar and Lucia heal. The final fiend is actually legit difficult because he has a powerful attack that hits everyone and can easily boost his attack power. I tried the "Erase magic" trick mentioned earlier, but I must've screwed up or something because his attacks always got stronger and stronger no matter what. :/

No, the third is actually difficult because he has that lovely little attack that sucks up your MP, and at this point in the game, only Jean is consistently faster than he is. And when he uses that particular special, that's not always a given, either.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Be grateful. If you played the original, you would have to fight the original Borgan eventually.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SorataYuy posted:

No, the third is actually difficult because he has that lovely little attack that sucks up your MP, and at this point in the game, only Jean is consistently faster than he is. And when he uses that particular special, that's not always a given, either.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. He always got ahead of Jean when he did the MP drain attack. I had to use very few Starlights in the dungeon so I could use all of them on the boss because of his MP-drain attack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, I didn't even know field effects existed. I wonder what other bosses make them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

Dang, I didn't even know field effects existed. I wonder what other bosses make them.

Pretty sure it's just these, but you can set them yourself.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
The Fiends do it, and I think one or two enemies in the very last dungeon do too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crowetron posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Ruby.

Emptyquotin' this forever.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Chokes McGee posted:

Emptyquotin' this forever.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
This is why Grandia is a better game. Nobody needs to tell Puffy to shut up. :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Stealin this for the OP

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Edward_Tohr posted:

This is why Grandia is a better game. Nobody needs to tell Puffy to shut up. :colbert:
Everyone is telling the cast to use voice acting instead.

edit: :thejoke:

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 20, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Everyone is telling the cast to use voice acting instead.

Which turned out to be a bad idea. Have you HEARD Grandia's voice acting?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bufuman posted:

Which turned out to be a bad idea. Have you HEARD Grandia's voice acting?
:byodame:juuuUUUuuuuuuuuustiiiiiiiIIIIInnnnnnnn

I think it's charming. :shobon:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 52: The Only Thing I Know For Real

Last time on Lunar 2, we began the second leg of our journey by reviving the power of the White Dragon. Blue's up next, so let's mosey.

: "Blue Dragon, huh? That means we need to find Master Lunn, right?"

: "Wait! We're doing Jean's plot before mine?! But my mom was kidnapped!"

: "Lunn tortures children psychologically and physically to create child soldiers."

: "...yeah, okay, we should probably do something about that first."

: "Plus, I kinda just want to watch Jean punch more dudes."

: "Same."

So, the team traveled south, towards the distant sounds of blows landing.

And shortly, we arrive at Horam.

Music ~ Honorable Horam

Like all animes, Lunar 2 eventually comes to a tournament arc.

That sounds adorable.

: "No matter where we go, we always manage to find the creepiest creep in the place. Why is that?"

: "Creeps gravitate towards other creeps, scientifically. We have Ronfar hanging around, so naturally they're gonna drift over."

: "Man, gently caress all y'alls. I've been good lately."

Oh, right, the thing we're supposed to be doing.

No non-kombatants allowed in Outworld, sorry bud.

Seeing as how last time an unholy abomination poo poo freezing death all over us, maybe we should restock on supplies.

Aside from the usual assortment, this item shop also carries a Protection Ring, Warrior Crest and Power Crest, in case you missed any of the early ones or need extras.

I picked up one each of the pictured items for Jean for no particular reason.

Horam is also lousy with various dojos teaching different martial arts.

Lunar 2, please stop giving away my pro-tier conflict resolution strats

Hey, on the upside, you won't have to watch your hero get beaten to death by a gypsy murder machine!

...such a shitlord?

Got it in one.

Now I want a fighting game where the final boss is just using the whole thing as ultra-violent speed dating.

: "But, Ronfar, I thought you were still in love with Mauri?"

: "I didn't say poo poo about love, kiddo, I'm just tryna get my dick wet."

: "...y'know, Jean, I think your creep theory might be onto something."

Alright, let's gear up!

: "My sword...is a tool of justice!"

: "+2 against Undead? That's a bargain!"

The armor shop also has upgrades, but I can't think of any jokes for those right now. Oddly enough, despite this clearly being Jean's plotline, there's no gear for her in either of these shops.

Well, yeah. I mean, who doesn't want to be the King of the Iron Fist?

We can also head up onto the city walls and see what's shaking.

alright, nevermind

There's also some goodies laying around. Some very nice...

...others, not so much.

Sounds legit, guess it's up to us.

I don't really understand what that means, but it sounds impressive. Let's head inside!

Music ~ the Tournament

I haven't heard a single person say "The East is burning red!" in this whole town, so I very much doubt that, buddy.

Eat me, buttass

A fancy zen garden. The look of this town and its music give me major Suikoden 1 vibes. Anyone else getting that?

: "I...I'm sorry, Master, but I can't forget what happened a month ago. None of us can. We were helpless to stop Lunn as he defeated every one of our teachers, including you. How are we supposed to defeat Lunn when we are mere students?"

: "drat it! If only we had more strength, we could beat Lunn! I know we could!"

The Sensei shakes his head sagely.

: "If we use only strength, we might as well use the Shadow Dragon Fist ourselves. The true strength of martial arts comes from the heart. Lunn was taught that, but he still doesn't understand..."

"But I'm going to punch Lunn's skull into his rear end."

: "You mustn't talk such nonsense, girl! This is a matter of life and death..."

: "...no, wait. You wear the outfit of a dancer, but I sense that it's more of a disguise."

: "I came here to settle things, teacher. Once and for all."

Luckily, the recap happens off screen.

something something Metal Gear Solid 2

: "Jean...you cannot erase your past by defeating Lunn, and you must realize that. So why do you wish to fight?"

: "I don't want to fight Lunn to try and erase my past, teacher."

: "I want to fight him because of what Hiro taught me. Only by fighting Lunn can I confront my past...accept it...and move on with my life."

Kung Fu pathos is the best pathos

I thought this was leading up to a training montage, but I guess this works, too.

: "What?!"

: "The Blue Dragon Fist draws upon the light in a person's heart...and the Shadow Dragon Fist calls upon the darkness. They're two sides of the same coin. Only a person who has called upon light AND darkness can master the Blue Dragon Fist."

Music ~ Field to Tomorrow

: "That was surprisingly easy, but yay!"

: "poo poo yes! I mean, uh..."

Time to suit up.

Cutscene ~ Blue Karate

: "Once I tried to bury the past, but it will not be buried."

: "The knowledge haunts me."

: "I will deny it no more."

: "And so it has come to this...I must now embrace what I once despised."

: "The time has come to put aside the mask I have chosen to wear."

: "I'm finished running away; this is my destiny!"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
:black101: Haha holy poo poo, Jean is the best character. She's gonna royally gently caress Lunn up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This kinda threw me for a loop when I first played. Because so far, everyone has been more or less a copy from someone from the original.

Alex = Hiro, the hard hitting main character.
Nash = Jean, the speedy character with an OK offense whose your main status-inflicter.
Mia = Lemina. I trust this one is self-explanatory.
Kyle = Leo, second swordsman.
Jessica = Ronfar, healer with a decent offense if no one needs healing.

But now...well I'll let Crowetron get into it.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 20, 2014

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Crowetron posted:

So what he's saying is "kick, punch, it's all in the mind"? :v:

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Now I want a fighting game where the final boss is just using the whole thing as ultra-violent speed dating.
I remember the plot of a game that had something like that. In Catherine it turned out the whole game up to that point was an elaborate plan by an angel or something, in order to get couples to get married and have more kids, or fail and die. :heysexy:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

rotinaj posted:

:black101: Haha holy poo poo, Jean is the best character. She's gonna royally gently caress Lunn up.
She sure is.
So glad to see them mention all these styles as martial arts and not Karate.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

This screenshot brought to you by Ronfar.

Edit: Wait. Is this a front shot or a badly drawn butt?

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

dude789 posted:

It's her knees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dude789 posted:

I thought as you did at first, but it's her knees. Note the direction her hands are facing; it'd be really awkward to get them like that if this was a butt shot.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dude789 posted:

You've been listening to Ronfar for too long. I'm sending you on a vacation to... *checks ticket* Sol-Falena? Crap, there goes that plan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

That's actually the plot of Matrimelee. The king wants to find a strong man to marry his daughter and rule over the land and all that, so he has a bunch of dudes punch the poo poo out of each other. Naturally, two old ladies and a dog show up and everyone just rolls with it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

: "BODY AND SOUL SHALL BE TORN ASUNDER!"

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 21, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

That's actually the plot of Matrimelee. The king wants to find a strong man to marry his daughter and rule over the land and all that, so he has a bunch of dudes punch the poo poo out of each other. Naturally, two old ladies and a dog show up and everyone just rolls with it.

I love fighting games :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That is one big floor in the dojo. Couldn't they have broken it up even a little bit?

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This kinda threw me for a loop when I first played. Because so far, everyone has been more or less a copy from someone from the original.

Nash = Jean, the speedy character with an OK offense whose your main status-

Nash was always useless, in the original and remakes (for being a game set in a magical world, Lunar doesn't have interesting magic characters).

I haven't played this game in years but I remember Jean breaking her foot off in half of the assess of the population of Lunar.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Please tell me this new costume is permanent.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

alcharagia posted:

Please tell me this new costume is permanent.

You're in for a surprise! :v:

The new costume change is permanent.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
He was basically an item dispenser during boss fights, but Nash's status spells were great for getting to those fights with most of your resources intact.

As for Jean, I always liked this bit. Time to put that huge Move score to use~

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That is one big floor in the dojo. Couldn't they have broken it up even a little bit?

Wouldn't be as good of a dojo then. You want a huge open space for practicing martial arts. Especially, warm-ups often involve stuff like the entire class making a formation and then "marching" that formation across the room, transitioning between stances and doing punches/blocks/kicks as they go. If you stuck a potted plant in the middle of the room then it'd get broken inside of a day.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

p4vl posted:

Nash was always useless, in the original and remakes (for being a game set in a magical world, Lunar doesn't have interesting magic characters).

Unoriginal One posted:

He was basically an item dispenser during boss fights, but Nash's status spells were great for getting to those fights with most of your resources intact.

True, Nash's strength is softening up mobs of monsters with Thunder Bomb and status spells for most of the game. But partway through he picks up Thunder Thrust and becomes capable of blowing away enemy teams on his own. And he gains boss value when he finally learns Thunderbolt, which has a better damage multiplier than either of Mia's single-target spells to compensate for his lower magic power, and allows him to pull his weight in any kind of fight. Nash is far from useless.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
This section is definitely my favorite part of the game. I've always loved the anime style tournament / gearing up to fight in said tournament sections in games and shows, no matter how cheesy they can get.

I have to admit though, something about Jean's new uniform always seemed a little off to me. Why does it have a giant zebra scarf?

As for Nash talk, he's kind of useful for the group thunder spell he has in the beginning for clearing enemy groups, but otherwise crap until he starts getting the higher level lightning spells that have already been mentioned.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Renditious posted:

This section is definitely my favorite part of the game. I've always loved the anime style tournament / gearing up to fight in said tournament sections in games and shows, no matter how cheesy they can get.

I have to admit though, something about Jean's new uniform always seemed a little off to me. Why does it have a giant zebra scarf?

Obviously the black and white scarf represents the balance of light and darkness required for the True Blue Dragon Fist. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Are you going to be the one to tell a ninja who can kill with a single punch that she can't have a fabulous zebra scarf?

• Locked thread