Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wow, thanks. That pretty much obliterates all my reservations about the system. I really will have to run it now!
Another testimonial here, I really do like fronts as an organizational tool (they're a really nice way to keep track of cool/terrible things you want to have happen unless the PCs stop them), but you shouldn't come to the first session with any. Instead, take the book's advice and throw them into a dangerous situation.

As an example, for my current Inverse World game (think floating islands and skyships), all I had planned was a statement and a few questions:

You guys are falling.
Voluntarily?
What are you falling towards?
What are you falling away from?
What else is dangerous here?

The answers I got were:
Yes.
Our skyship (one of the PCs is The Captain).
An enemy ship, sent by The Mechanic's estranged skynazi artificer dad, because we stole their dragonite power core.
Sky piranhas.

That all kicked off an awesome session where we found out why they stole the other ship's core (their own was missing) and did a bunch of investigating to find the old core and the saboteur. And that was all in the same session where we made characters.

As for fronts, I'm pulling them directly from that session. The skynazis are obvious, but we also ended up establishing that there was a group called the 8-Crog that had threatened the first mate's family to get him to steal the core in the first place. And I MAY have nudged that into being a group of privateers. So now we're basically playing a mashup of FFVI and One Piece (the Mechanic's dad is Kefka-Cid), mostly by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

MadScientistWorking posted:

So tell me how Every Which Way but Loose fits into the equation.

He's a illegal fighter traveling around bars and construction sites with a wild animal, while being chased by a neo-nazi biker gang who at one point try and attack his aging mother.

How is that not a frayed society?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arivia posted:

Kim Mohan? Or is there someone I'm not thinking of?
Tim Kask. Though your comment suddenly makes me wonder what Kim Mohan is doing these days.

Tim Kask, Frank Mentzer, and James Ward founded their own OSR publishing company, which must be kind of like running for mayor after being governor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh good lord.

quote:

GET READY TO BLOW THE ROOF OFF YOUR GAME

Role-playing without detailed “flavor text” is like popcorn without butter or salt...you can eat it, but who'd want to? Dungeon Runner picks up where Dungeon Crawler left off, ramping up the detail, richness and variety of its randomly-created nuggets of narrative awesomeness. Because dull role-playing is not something we want to see ever again, Dungeon Runner will turn your game into a supercharged engine of role-playing magnificence.

Which NPC description would you rather provide for your players, or hear from your Gamemaster?

A. The innkeeper at the tavern offers you a bowl of stew, a mug of ale, and a room for the night.

OR

B. Lorimer HillFather, innkeeper of the Rogue and Horn on Priestley Street, offers you a plate of blanched sausage goulash and a mug of winter herb wine for 2 silver. The room he rents to you contains a strange, peppery aroma. In the common room, a pair of messengers demand an occupied table, and Blind Steyfny 'The Triumphant' cannot carry a tune. He is on a quest to purify a conquered temple and is surreptitiously looking at an object.

Description B was created using a few button pushes in the People and Tavern section of the Dungeon Runner. Description A was generated forty years ago by an accountant living at the bottom of a dry well.

What is Blind Steyfny looking at? Click the Filler button, and voila, it's a glowing, silent whistle. Hey, isn't he blind? Maybe....Want to know who the messengers work for? Hit the People button again, choose Full (Simple), and meet Lord Bancroft Maner of (Village button) Saxon-Blossom. You say the rogue wants to get some purse-cutting experience? Instead of just 1d6 silver pieces, she can find the messenger was carrying (in his asp-hide purse) a candle, a lens, and a scrap of paper with a passphrase on it in Draconic writing with flourishes (Linguistics DC 11 to decipher).

Some other things you can randomize without having to refer to (or buy) a single chart: Shops, taverns, vessels and cargoes, artworks, battlecries, blessings, causes of death, confusion, curses, graffiti, insanity, languages, magical effects, passwords, book titles, poisons and potions; Dungeon, City and Wilderness encounters, events and features; and more monsters, treasure, and magic items than you can shake all the sticks at. All at the click of a button or two, all at the speed of mouse. Plus a lot more that won't fit on this page!

Dungeon Runner is fast, powerful, and as full of random gaming goodness as 30+ years of obsessive tinkering, love of fantasy, and overactive imagination can make it.

quote:

The Delve feature that lets you map as you go (on graph paper with a pencil, the way Gary intended) generating corridor, room and chamber descriptions complete with contents and monsters as you play. Solo/semi-solo dungeon crawling made possible, no GM necessary!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Grey Hunter posted:

He's a illegal fighter traveling around bars and construction sites with a wild animal, while being chased by a neo-nazi biker gang who at one point try and attack his aging mother.

How is that not a frayed society?
I just wanted an excuse to mention that movie. :D
That reminds me of the one time I DM'd where I exhibited Dan Rykert levels of egg mastery.
Player: What is on the menu?
Me: Sauteed eggs.
Player: :psyduck:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Even if you don't feel like formally using Fronts, the concept is still good. There's likely to be multiple Bad Things around, and whichever one(s) are not dealt with by the PCs is going to become Worse in the next session.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Higher-level 3.x wasn't designed. Playtesting stopped at level 10.
Oh, high levels were playtested quite a bit. But only about 2/3rds of the way into the development process. Once they found out the wheels fell off the wagon around level 10, they realized that changing it would involve re-thinking the way the entire system worked so they just said "gently caress it" and charged forward.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Froghammer posted:

Oh, high levels were playtested quite a bit. But only about 2/3rds of the way into the development process. Once they found out the wheels fell off the wagon around level 10, they realized that changing it would involve re-thinking the way the entire system worked so they just said "gently caress it" and charged forward.

That really says more than I'd like about the state of game design even now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, how do you even playtest something like D&D properly? When a game is designed to take years to play out its power scale, can you really have multiple groups running a game for 3 years to properly playtest all 20 levels?

It's not really feasible. Not that the 20-level structure even matters so much; the amount of groups that actually last past level 13-15 is vanishingly small on my experience, unless you're operating on an accelerated XP reward structure.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

No reason you can't start groups at higher levels to playtest them, rather than running all the way from level 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Esser-Z posted:

No reason you can't start groups at higher levels to playtest them, rather than running all the way from level 1.

This has the added advantage of testing the "starting at levels higher than 1" rules and why do we even need to tell people how to test D&D at higher levels, it's not like there's anything stopping you from writing down some bigger numbers on a piece of paper.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The card game that people from my class are developing and i was playtesting will get into collective funding soon :toot:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You can to an extent, but doing might not provide a perfectly accurate picture. Testers may lack the system mastery you'd hone after going through fifteen game levels, you may have an unrealistic expectation of treasure levels or other rewards, etc. You can certainly do spot playtesting like that, but it's not a "scientific" test of the system.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This has the added advantage of testing the "starting at levels higher than 1" rules and why do we even need to tell people how to test D&D at higher levels, it's not like there's anything stopping you from writing down some bigger numbers on a piece of paper.

At the same time most level systems are a pain to develop high-level characters from scratch. Most level-based systems use the levels to gradually introduce more complexity, so expecting them to operate well in that capacity is a little unrealistic in my opinion. I'm not saying it's not a useful thing to test out, but it's not going to be intended play, nor should it necessarily be.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Gngk.

The wheels fell off the wagon after level 10 because they changed the way the game works at level 10.

That the wheels actually fall off after level 6 is a whole different issue.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

4E also assumes magic items, but actually provides rules for not using them (inherent bonuses), and assumes that everyone is using them/using inherent bonuses instead of gimping non-casters.

While I love 4E and appreciate inherent bonuses, they're a really kludgy solution to a poor initial decision to bake +X items into the core math. And inherent bonuses don't make up for the daily powers, crit bonuses and other side benefits of magic items.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

PeterWeller posted:

While I love 4E and appreciate inherent bonuses, they're a really kludgy solution to a poor initial decision to bake +X items into the core math. And inherent bonuses don't make up for the daily powers, crit bonuses and other side benefits of magic items.

Inherent bonus rules do actually use the (default) crit bonus rules, which is 1d6 per +. They act in pretty much all ways as a Magic Weapon of +Something. And I dunno, if you're going to have +X items at all then it seems like not baking them into the math would be the worse idea, because that means later on characters are getting that free +5 to hit that the system math doesn't account for.

The better solution is not to have +X items at all but then it's not ~D&D~.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Really, doesn't every version of D&D have the wheels come off at some point? It's just a question of when it happens and how disastrous it is.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RPZip posted:

Inherent bonus rules do actually use the (default) crit bonus rules, which is 1d6 per +. They act in pretty much all ways as a Magic Weapon of +Something. And I dunno, if you're going to have +X items at all then it seems like not baking them into the math would be the worse idea, because that means later on characters are getting that free +5 to hit that the system math doesn't account for.

The better solution is not to have +X items at all but then it's not ~D&D~.

Yeah, they get the D6 like a generic +X magic weapon, but in a campaign using actual magic items, most magic weapons won't be generic ones. They'll be flaming or vicious or ruthless or w/e and get bigger crit dice.

And see, I disagree with the idea that if you want +X items, you should bake them into the math. That bonus +X should be an actual bonus, not some step on the treadmill. I don't care if the players get ahead of the curve, especially in a system with math as transparent as 4E's.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, they get the D6 like a generic +X magic weapon, but in a campaign using actual magic items, most magic weapons won't be generic ones. They'll be flaming or vicious or ruthless or w/e and get bigger crit dice.

And see, I disagree with the idea that if you want +X items, you should bake them into the math. That bonus +X should be an actual bonus, not some step on the treadmill. I don't care if the players get ahead of the curve, especially in a system with math as transparent as 4E's.

I think you can have +X items without baking them into the math (too much), but they need to progress more slowly. Like +1 in heroic, +2 in paragon, +3 in epic, rather than going all the way up to +6. A +6 swing on a D20 is enormous, a +3 isn't nearly as big of a deal in terms of making enemies "only miss on a 1"-able. e: Which is a problem D&D has had in the past, even for 4e, where you just plain stop missing. I'm okay with having a pretty small miss chance (like, roll 3-4 or higher on the d20) but the system doesn't do too great with autohit stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PeterWeller posted:

No matter how you present it, any D&D-alike where you include +X to-hit weapons is going to result in players treating those things as a requirement, not a cherry on top. +X to-hit is the fundamental currency of a d20 combat system where people have to actually engage with defenses and hitpoints and not just solve the whole fight with a spell, so whether or not you put a big flashing neon sign up going THESE ARE TOTALLY NOT A REQUIREMENT MERELY AN OPTION players are largely still going to treat them as necessary and zero in on them, which means that your basic mathematical assumptions are going to be off.

Either:

A). work the inclusion of +X weapons into the math, or

B). don't include +X weapons at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really, doesn't every version of D&D have the wheels come off at some point? It's just a question of when it happens and how disastrous it is.

Pretty much. It's the problem with the large level spreads (remember, Basic went up to level 36) and the fact that everything needs to scale without consideration about what the scaling means or how it affects the general math.

Which is the reason I like DW's and 13th Age's solutions to the problems. In 13A, you cap at level 10, and in DW they don't scale numbers up, instead granting new abilities as you level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DND capping out at some really low level like 10 or 12 relative to CRPGs was something that also threw me for a loop the first time I saw it, but I'm beginning to understand why now.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any online 'collaborative' text editors like Google Docs that can handle very large documents without slowing to a crawl? I've been doing a writeup of a very, very long campaign on Google Docs that has just broken the 300 page mark, and it's almost unusable at this point. I have to do the actual writing on a separate document and paste completed chapters into the main document to avoid having about a full second of lag per keystroke.

I could simplify things by using an offline editor, but I have a small audience that's reading the updates as they come out, and distribution would be a hassle if it weren't cloud-based.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Kestral posted:

Are there any online 'collaborative' text editors like Google Docs that can handle very large documents without slowing to a crawl? I've been doing a writeup of a very, very long campaign on Google Docs that has just broken the 300 page mark, and it's almost unusable at this point. I have to do the actual writing on a separate document and paste completed chapters into the main document to avoid having about a full second of lag per keystroke.

I could simplify things by using an offline editor, but I have a small audience that's reading the updates as they come out, and distribution would be a hassle if it weren't cloud-based.

I don't know of one myself, but as a stop gap solution, you could break it up into multiple docs, with a table of contents/update document, letting people know when and where you've posted new stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

They are kludgy but they literally do make up for the part of magic weapons which is baked into the system maths, which is to-hit bonuses. Daily powers, crit bonuses and other side benefits are not actually baked into the maths!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Meinberg posted:

I don't know of one myself, but as a stop gap solution, you could break it up into multiple docs, with a table of contents/update document, letting people know when and where you've posted new stuff.
Or just share the folder they're in.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Death to +1 weapons. They are unforgivably boring.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Earthdawn's 'thread' items remain my favourite implementation of magic gear, followed closely by the Heirloom Weapons rules from 3.5.

That isn't just a vial of healing potion-- it's an enchanted vial that refills itself with a healing draught every night, and with more strands drawn between your soul and its enchantments, its contents will become more potent and usable more often.

That rusty sword you found with only a glimmer of magical power? It bloodied a Horror. If you pursue its Legend and quest to revive its potential, it could do so again.

Or get a certain number of pluses or XP to spend upgrading equipment every X levels, so you don't end up with a steadily growing pile of outdated gear, or increasingly pointed questions about the number of wizards with artificing feats in the campaign.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

No matter how you present it, any D&D-alike where you include +X to-hit weapons is going to result in players treating those things as a requirement, not a cherry on top. +X to-hit is the fundamental currency of a d20 combat system where people have to actually engage with defenses and hitpoints and not just solve the whole fight with a spell, so whether or not you put a big flashing neon sign up going THESE ARE TOTALLY NOT A REQUIREMENT MERELY AN OPTION players are largely still going to treat them as necessary and zero in on them, which means that your basic mathematical assumptions are going to be off.

Either:

A). work the inclusion of +X weapons into the math, or

B). don't include +X weapons at all.

No. By baking them into the math you take them from being a cool thing players want to a boring thing players need. Your solution to players treating them as a necessity is to make them so, removing any illusion of being special and the whole point of having bonuses in the first place.

You just need to look to AD&D to see how they don't need to be part of the math curve. They're required for other reasons, of course, but a high level fighter will be hitting on 1s already.

E: RPZip, I agree that the range would need to be smaller. LC, you're right, but my point was they miss out on the few cool things magic items bring along.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2014

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Meinberg posted:

Yeah, the solution is actually "Manage documents like a pro," which means doing the above. Also, for campaign design ask yourself if a wiki wouldn't be more appropriate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sorry, man, but "this sword gives you +1 to hit things" was never cool. It will never be cool. It's just a number. They weren't cool in AD&D.

E: Flat numeric bonuses will always be less cool than "this sword does a thing" or even "this sword gets a conditional numeric bonus under these conditions" - doing things and conditionals at least try to give some sense of history to the weapon - it exists for a purpose, it has a story.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
The concept I'm working with in the 13th Age game I'm running (which has not yet been tested) is that players magical items are empowered because they belong to those people, they have no innate power. Any sword used by Annegret the Iron Lady is preternaturally sharp and thirsts for the heads of the Fey, but if you were to ask a random person in the world they would say that the sword itself has power. Because she once wielded a blade of Cold Iron, all swords she wields bite the flesh of the fey folk as though they were cold iron.

Sir Gerard leaves behind burned corpses of the wild-men because the people believe he has a soulbound, flaming warrior queen effigy instead of a simple wooden puppet.

Basically, the characters design their magic weapon, and any weapon acts as that weapon, because it belongs to them. Is this just me being overly focused on semantics, or is there a thread of something there?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Sorry, man, but "this sword gives you +1 to hit things" was never cool. It will never be cool. It's just a number. They weren't cool in AD&D.

E: Flat numeric bonuses will always be less cool than "this sword does a thing" or even "this sword gets a conditional numeric bonus under these conditions" - doing things and conditionals at least try to give some sense of history to the weapon - it exists for a purpose, it has a story.

Oh, I agree that they are way boring compared to special properties and wondrous items and the like, but "this sword makes you better at killing" is always cool even if expressed with a boring numeric bonus.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A) +1 swords are the worst, and they're here to stay because it's ~*~traditional~*~

B) The thing with high level play in 3e - the thing with lots of problems in 3e - is that literally you do not have to playtest it to see it, you just have to actually examine the math with any sort of rigor at all. The problem isn't poor playtesting. The problem is desperately trying to think the game where all the mechanics come down to you doing equations doesn't have to involve math.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

No. By baking them into the math you take them from being a cool thing players want to a boring thing players need.
Any player at all interested in killing his foes as dead as possible would approach a Sword of Killing Foes More Dead as a necessity. Even if, mechanically speaking, he was already killing his foes regular dead.

The real solution is to play games that are fundamentally not about killing things as dead as possible. :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I'm interested in reading what the issues with D&D Next are (mechanically, that is), but I've tried looking through the Next thread and haven't found, like...a compiled list, I guess? Has something like that been put together?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

I'm interested in reading what the issues with D&D Next are (mechanically, that is), but I've tried looking through the Next thread and haven't found, like...a compiled list, I guess? Has something like that been put together?

• It's D&D

:v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

:golfclap:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

WordMercenary posted:

Death to +1 weapons. They are unforgivably boring.

Bieeardo posted:

so you don't end up with a steadily growing pile of outdated gear, or increasingly pointed questions about the number of wizards with artificing feats in the campaign.
Back in high school when we used to play 2nd edition this was a gigantic and stupid thing about any longer running campaign. Since even back then most of the interesting things you could fight were essentially humans. This meant, hilariously, that by the time you hit level nine or ten you were drowning in discarded magical equipment. Piles of long swords +1, banded mail +1 and whatever else you had to throw onto the NPC enemies of the world in order to climb past the slightly boosted defense of the party. Nobody *USED* any of it and in 2nd edition it was significantly harder to sell or disenchant any of the gear and so you eventually ended up with high level characters just carting around bags of holding full of gear that nobody wants or needs.

Any more, for tabletop gaming, I generally prefer systems that sidestep the whole 'gear' morass. Equipment is fun in something like WoW or Diablo or Borderlands where somebody else gets to handle the constant churn of new items but for roleplaying? I'd rather pay attention to the characters and not what color their sword is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Forums Terrorist posted:

I had a thought; how does So77 deal with the LGBT stuff happening around then?

Since gender, race and sexuality have no bearing on your ability to shoot Illinois Nazi's in the face we do our best to leave them out of the rules. I think the one exception being a sidebar where we point out that just because the role is called "Good Old Boy" doesn't mean you can't be a "Good Old Girl".

It's really important to me that the game is inclusive, the source material we're drawing on was in it's own weird way very inclusive, the seventies were the first time (in America at least) that a lot of disenfranchised groups were getting represented in any meaningful way in the media especially film and music. I want people to play Androgynous Rock Gods, Rogue Police Women, Kung-Fu Child Prodigies and anything else they can think up. I've tried to represent this in the in-game examples throughout the book, the characters in the examples are very diverse and many of them break gender stereotypes, but also I leave a lot of them as blank slates in a way so that readers can imagine them however they want.

Also, bigotry is a trait of The Man and other villains. Heroes don't got time for that poo poo, they're too busy kickin' rear end.

• Locked thread