Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
On the one hand, the events that happened with the NFL need to be paraded around in broad daylight for as long as possible so that the appropriate parties get punished.

But the majority of these ex-players are just completely out of their depth, and are not going to add anything to the conversation besides embarrassing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

I posted it in the aftermath thread and I didn't get a single quote.

Harsh, bro. Cris Carter owns tho

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

Don't disagree with what he is saying at all, just think all the moralizing is getting a bit much at this point

What so you mean by moralizing? Are you referring to the discussion of a current NFL scandal or something else?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

NC-17 posted:

On the one hand, the events that happened with the NFL need to be paraded around in broad daylight for as long as possible so that the appropriate parties get punished.

But the majority of these ex-players are just completely out of their depth, and are not going to add anything to the conversation besides embarrassing themselves.

Yes. Now did you actually listen to what Cris Carter had to say? Because it was emotional and relevant

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Blackula69 posted:

Yes. Now did you actually listen to what Cris Carter had to say? Because it was emotional and relevant

I heard it early. He was great. But he's certainly the exception to the rule. Even in that broadcast.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
So... are we using this as the Adrian Peterson thread too or is someone going to re-open the other thread?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Blackula69 posted:

I'm cross-posting this poo poo because it's rad as heck. Cris Carter had some things to say about abuse and the NFL yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJ4yFKYKo4

Good stuff here.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not sure about the league office but Ozzie Newsome is on record saying that Ray Rice never lied to the Ravens. Hard to imagine he would be honest with the team and then go fibbing to Goodell. Rice is dumb but even he would have to figure that Rodger and Ravens occasionally talk.

Oh, that's actually underplaying how stupid Rice would be to tell the Ravens team officials one thing and the NFL another. From the OTL story disputing the claim that Rice had lied to the league:

quote:

The June 16 meeting in Goodell's Manhattan office was attended by Rice, his wife, two players' union representatives, Newsome and Ravens president Dick Cass. The presence of two Ravens executives was unusual, multiple sources have told "Outside the Lines." Team executives rarely accompany players to disciplinary meetings with Goodell, according to several lawyers who have represented players and coaches on NFL disciplinary matters.

If Rice had lied to the NFL with Newsome in the same room, you would think Newsome wouldn't be out in the media saying that Rice told them the truth.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

NFL players' union expected to appeal Rice suspension Tuesday (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=461870).

I mean I guess the NFLPA has a duty to represent its members but maybe pick your battles a bit better?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MakaVillian posted:

NFL players' union expected to appeal Rice suspension Tuesday (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=461870).

I mean I guess the NFLPA has a duty to represent its members but maybe pick your battles a bit better?
Well, considering that the commissioner lied in his justification for the indefinite suspension the NFLPA really doesn't have a choice here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the NFLPA has to fight this no matter what or else they allow precedent to be set, which would be terrible.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Fair enough

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

Fines and punishment are something that should exist but the ability for a commissioner to arbitrarily and retroactively wield these powers should be contained. We see these abused for things like the A-Rod case where punishment was highly motivated by the incentive to shirk out of an agreed contract.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MakaVillian posted:

As much as I would prefer it if Rice never played another down. It is completely inappropriate for Goddell to suspend Rice for two games, and then go back and suspend him for longer, for the same incident. Even if you believe the NFL didn't see the tape*, there is no evidence Rice lied about what happened in the elevator, and quite a bit of evidence to say he told the truth. "Because our own decision made us look bad" is not a good reason to suspend Rice a second time.

*They saw the loving tape.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is there anything in the CBA that says an appeal has to be heard in however much time? I think the Josh Gordon thing was appealed somewhere around draft time, heard early in August and not decided until preseason was over. Do things change when it's in season or are they just going to put him off as long as possible so the media frenzy can die down?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

What may ultimately be the best thing to come from all this is that a lot of major talking heads like Eisen have realized they aren't equipped to talk about this poo poo.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
BR is likely just trying to boost their numbers but they're reporting that multiple teams are looking at Ray Rice if he's reinstated.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

BR is likely just trying to boost their numbers but they're reporting that multiple teams are looking at Ray Rice if he's reinstated.

Is one the Vikings?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Is one the Vikings?

Panthers have some hurt RBs right now also.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Wrong thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

If they dont represent him, that is another lawsuit, hah.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Oh the tangled webs we weave
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/16/rihanna-cbs-ravens-nfl-ray-rice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jersey trade-in day!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chris James 2 posted:

Jersey trade-in day!

Goddamn.

Also rip rihanna's song. She sure overreacted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

effectual posted:

Goddamn.

Also rip rihanna's song. She sure overreacted.

Nope, It's complete bullshit, she is literally the victim of domestic abuse and you are punishing her for being the victim.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah, if any situation merited a public "gently caress you" it was that. For them to yank her afterwards is terrible.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

CBS executive in $5000 suit: "I just don't think you understand the impact of domestic violence, Rihanna"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Jersey trade-in day!

That's gotta be so depressing to Ray. (Good)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah they pull the Rihanna song because they think it conjures up the image of domestic violence when it just creates more of a media storm that results in CBS not supporting a victim of domestic violence.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I know we're getting into ~victim blaming~, but didn't Rihanna defend Chris Brown? Most victims have circumstances that force them to stay with their abuser, but she just seems like a lovely human being.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

three posted:

I know we're getting into ~victim blaming~, but didn't Rihanna defend Chris Brown? Most victims have circumstances that force them to stay with their abuser, but she just seems like a lovely human being.

She is a female in an extremely insular industry where pissing the wrong person off can completely gently caress your career up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

three posted:

Many victims of domestic violence think that they can fix or save their abuser. They feel they did something wrong and if they just try harder they can change their partner. There's more to it than just "well my husband pays the bills so I better stick with him".

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dexo posted:

She is a female in an extremely insular industry where pissing the wrong person off can completely gently caress your career up.

Isn't Rihanna backed by Jay Z who bashed and threatened to end Chris Brown's career?

Chich's story is probably more accurate, although I think that's pretty lovely for her to do. If you support someone who beats women, that's bad. I am willing to bet she is not the only woman that he has attacked. That type of action is well within her control, and I think if she wants to go that route, then CBS is justified in pulling her.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

three posted:

Isn't Rihanna backed by Jay Z who bashed and threatened to end Chris Brown's career?

Chich's story is probably more accurate, although I think that's pretty lovely for her to do. If you support someone who beats women, that's bad. I am willing to bet she is not the only woman that he has attacked. That type of action is well within her control, and I think if she wants to go that route, then CBS is justified in pulling her.

Wait, what? You're blaming an dv victim because she didn't leave?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

three posted:

Drake has her back too

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think that some of you guys don't really realize how much stronger you are than most women and how that fact by itself is pretty intimidating for a lot of women. She stayed with Chris Brown for whatever reasons and he was an rear end in a top hat. It's on him, totally. Not on her.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

three posted:

I'm glad someone finally called that lying bitch out. Thank you.

e: oh nm thought you were talking about Janay Rice

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is it Talk Like a Reddit Day or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't the official story that they pulled the song because they wanted to spend that extra 5 minutes talking about Ray Rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ray Rice needs to tat a picture of two feet in an elevator door on his neck.

• Locked thread