Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Little_wh0re posted:

Occ's thread thought: would people say that where he is is the lowest point of revival who

I think everyone has a different opinion. Some people dislike season 3 but I think the second half of that season is the strongest stretch in New Who (Human Nature/Family of Blood two-parter, Blink and the three-parter return of the Master). I'd say the first half though, particularly the two-parter with the human Daleks and bad-accent Spiderman, followed by the Lazarus Experiment, is probably the worst 3 episode stretch.

So basically the worst stretch immediately followed by the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pizdec posted:

For much of the show the character of Doctor WHO wore a coat with a question mark on it

That was also bad

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pizdec posted:

According to the wiki (sorry, didn't watch much of old Who) fobwatches and clocks were A Thing for at least five incarnations.

In that they occasionally featured on the show. They had equal prominence to a chair with a panda on it, an iconic element of the show that has mistakenly been lost by the ignorance and lack of vision in the shows' most recent producers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Big Bang really is pretty incredible. It's everything a Moffat episode tries to be and, now, more often than not fails to be. Matt Smith was on top form, portraying a version of his Doctor I feel didn't really show up again after that first season with him, and the non-linear story telling actually makes sense given the state of the universe; why Moffat continued to use this trick after this episode is beyond me.

I mean, the promise at the end of the episode of a larger mystery is amazing, and it's such a shame it paid off so poorly.

I really, really, don't know what went wrong, though if I was to throw out a guess; Sherlock.

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
"YOU... WILL.. BECOME LIKE UZZZ."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Slowpoke! posted:

I think everyone has a different opinion. Some people dislike season 3 but I think the second half of that season is the strongest stretch in New Who (Human Nature/Family of Blood two-parter, Blink and the three-parter return of the Master). I'd say the first half though, particularly the two-parter with the human Daleks and bad-accent Spiderman, followed by the Lazarus Experiment, is probably the worst 3 episode stretch.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Broadly speaking, I'd put it like this -

Series 1 - very good
Series 2- very bad (probably worst series of revival)
Series 3- half good, half bad
Series 4 - a bit good, mostly bad
Specials - all bad (yes, even WoM)
Series 5 - best so far
Series 6 - massive highs but far worse lows
Series 7 - deeply mediocre
Series 8 - not very good so far

PriorMarcus posted:

The Big Bang really is pretty incredible. It's everything a Moffat episode tries to be and, now, more often than not fails to be. Matt Smith was on top form, portraying a version of his Doctor I feel didn't really show up again after that first season with him, and the non-linear story telling actually makes sense given the state of the universe; why Moffat continued to use this trick after this episode is beyond me.

I mean, the promise at the end of the episode of a larger mystery is amazing, and it's such a shame it paid off so poorly.

I really, really, don't know what went wrong, though if I was to throw out a guess; Sherlock.

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.

Sometimes I think we timeshare a brain.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Sherlock premiered only 3 months after Moffat's first season running Doctor Who did...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PriorMarcus posted:

I think as a Doctor Who writer he relies on a bunch of tricks, and by the end of season 5 or so we'd seen most of them. I'd prefer to see him write a story a season max, either as showrunner or not.

That said, Listen was the best normal episode since The God Complex or The Doctor's Wife.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Series 1 - very good
Series 5 - best so far

I agree with most of this, except for the following differences:

Series 1 - mostly bad
Series 2 - okay with some very bad episodes
series 4 - some good, some mediocre
Specials - okay if a little over the top and uneven
Series 8 - shows promise but has some flaws

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'd say that, overall, the Year of Specials were bad episodes punctuated with awesome moments. For as good as the Time Lord Victorious bit of Water of Mars was, the rest of the episode wasn't very good. Similarly, while the End of Time was mostly pretty bad, Dalton as Rassilon wasn't, John Simm had some fun hammy moments, and Wilf proved himself to be the best companion ever.

The exceptions are the Next Doctor, which is a good episode, and Planet of the Dead, which didn't have any good moments.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thexerox123 posted:

Sherlock premiered only 3 months after Moffat's first season running Doctor Who did...

Yes, but the rough production history of Sherlock meant that he didn't start having to simultaneously run both of them until after the first season of Doctor Who.

The Sherlock pilot was reshot entirely for example, and the writers/episodes were locked as early as 2008.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Slowpoke! posted:

I didn't like the Season 3 finale except for Utopia. For one, Gollum!Doctor made it so I simply couldn't take anything happening seriously. But aside from super bad CG (I mean, come on, it's Who), I felt the entire 3-parter was retroactively weakened when it turned out all Martha was doing was enacting the Doctor's plan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is there a place in your Big Finish account where it tells you when you downloaded a particular story? I want to see if I can figure out when I started listening.

e: nm, found it. There's a place to see orders.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 19, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jsor posted:

I felt the entire 3-parter was retroactively weakened when it turned out all Martha was doing was enacting the Doctor's plan.

And his plan is such a loving dumb Peter Pan trip.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

And his plan is such a loving dumb Peter Pan trip.

Tenth Doctor does some dumb bullshit, news at, well, ten

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Series 1 - very good
Series 5 - best so far

It seems like you haven't been enjoying the show as much lately. I feel like Series 8 not being very good so far is a bit much though. I haven't disliked an episode yet, and felt like the Robin Hood episode was such fun it can be held up as an example of very good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Series 1 - very good
Series 5 - best so far

Sometimes I think we timeshare a brain.

Ooh lists. I like lists.

Series 1 - Weird. Not good or bad. Just...really weird and unsure of itself.
Series 2 - The worst so far.
Series 3 - Half amazing, half I'd like to forget.
Series 4 - Very, very good.
Specials - All awful except for WoM.
Series 5 - Excellent
Series 6 - 10 excellent episodes, 3 so bad they retroactively make the entire series taste funny.
Series 7 - Aggressively mediocre. Like, TNG Season 7 mediocre. Like, "I'm not sure if I watched an episode of Doctor Who or stared at my blank TV for 45 minutes" mediocre.
Series 8 - So far, very good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 1: Good

Season 2: If you skip CERTAIN episodes, excellent

Season 3: Good, wonky end

Season 4: EXCELLENT

Specials: Bleh

Season 5: Very Good

Season 6: Ugh

Season 7 A: Bad

Season 7 B: OK

Season 8: Ugh

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Barry Foster posted:

Series 1 - very good
Series 5 - best so far

I guess I must be coming from a different perspective because I've never seen any Who but the revival (will rectify that soon).

But here's my reckoning

Series 1 - garbage except for Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child, and The Doctor Dances
Series 2 - very not good. Except Impossible Planet/Satan Pit and Girl in the Fireplace. And of course Daleks owning the Cybermen
Series 3 - decidedly mixed, but better than the previous two, assuming you just skip the Daleks in Manhattan two-parter. There's no reason for anyone to subject themselves to that outside a toxx. And then, of course, it legendarily shits the bed at the end.
Series 4 - mostly terrific
Specials - I only saw Waters of Mars and The End of Time. WOM is terrific, and End of Time is End of Time. Wilf is great, though.
Series 5 - near perfect, except for Cold Blood, but even that's better than a lot of Davies episodes.
Series 6.0 - It's...okay.
Series 6.5 - aaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Series 7.0 - That sure was five episodes that happened. None were bad. None were great. Goodbye Amy and Rory. and hopefully River.
Series 7.5 - Really solid, IMO; although Journey to the Center of the TARDIS is weirdly racist, and Nightmare in Silver is not as good as it could be, and I wasn't fond of The Name of the Doctor. But, I dunno, Hide, Cold War, and The Crimson Horror might all be in my top ten favorite episodes.
Series 8 - Really rad so far. Loving it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

taken as a pair season 1 & 2 are the best the revival's been (a couple of duff episodes aside).
before Davies ran out of ideas / completely disappeared up his own arse.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Now I can't unsee it you monster!

I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. I figured someone would have by now- judging by how huge this thread is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. I figured someone would have by now- judging by how huge this thread is.

It's safest to just ignore Irish Joe

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's safest to just ignore Irish Joe

More people should click the link in his BRCT.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

It seems like you haven't been enjoying the show as much lately. I feel like Series 8 not being very good so far is a bit much though. I haven't disliked an episode yet, and felt like the Robin Hood episode was such fun it can be held up as an example of very good.

It's just so aggressively Moffat-y, and the episode that wasn't Moffat-y (the Robin Hood one) was complete bobbins. I know, I hate fun, but it just did nothing for me. Overall, there's not been a single original idea this series, it's just the same stuff as before but this time with an arsehole Doctor.

It's also retaining (although to a lesser extent) the issue Series 7 had, which is that it feels like every episode is missing about half of its scenes. Except for Deep Breath, which took plenty of time to go nowhere. Something happened to the editing and pacing at the start of Series 7 - presumably Moffat's desire to 'slut up' the show and make it more fast paced - and I don't like it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

More people should click the link in his BRCT.

Buy me archives then, I'm not made of forums upgrades

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PriorMarcus posted:

All of the episodes are the worst episode.

Except Love and Monsters.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Pizdec posted:

The watch was also used in "The Next Doctor" and 11th used a non-plot relevant fobwatch. According to the wiki (sorry, didn't watch much of old Who) fobwatches and clocks were A Thing for at least five incarnations. The show never was above exploiting the correlation.

Which "five incarnations" were these, because I did watch a ton of old DW and I am 99.9% certain neither clocks nor fobwatches were A Thing on the televised series prior to Tennant (granted there's probably a fair bit of it in other media, though).

quote:

Nah, I mean the circular design that was introduced in the new series and is even referenced in the opening itself.

OK, wasn't sure what you meant. In that case, again it was a thing created for the new series and as such isn't a thing with a long association with DW.

Also I should add that I'm not watching the new series at all, so I have no idea what the current opening titles look like to begin with. Thus, I'm probably fussing about clocks and symbols and poo poo for no actual reason. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

It's also retaining (although to a lesser extent) the issue Series 7 had, which is that it feels like every episode is missing about half of its scenes. Except for Deep Breath, which took plenty of time to go nowhere. Something happened to the editing and pacing at the start of Series 7 - presumably Moffat's desire to 'slut up' the show and make it more fast paced - and I don't like it.

I felt that sense of pacing for Into the Dalek (and I agree that Deep Breath twiddled its fingers around for the first half), but I think Listen paced itself pretty well, if nothing else. The Robin Hood episode sort of demands that kind of a frantic pace, so it was okay for me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Buy me archives then, I'm not made of forums upgrades

It's more or less exactly what it says in the text, describing the child in the picture in his avatar, I don't really think it needs clicking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Basically Irish Joe is a creepy gently caress who should have been banned, but now shitposts instead.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Aw man, clicked that link to see it was the Doobie's Doghouse thread but it looks like the trip reports me and the two other goons that went there posted got deleted :smith:

e: also yeah loving gross

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

OK, wasn't sure what you meant. In that case, again it was a thing created for the new series and as such isn't a thing with a long association with DW.

In that shot it looks more like it's referencing the headdresses than the concept of a clock.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The tone of the new doctor is still being felt out but some of the traits I'm picking up on:

-The Dadliest doctor. He is a dad. The uncool dad. The cool dad. The doddering father-idiot. The brilliant MLG dadskills dad. The dad you can spend time with and bond with but can't be around always or he'd drive you nuts. The dad you're happy to see, but embarrassed to have barge in on your personal life. The dad who's bad at hugs but loves them though he won't admit it.

-A serious scientist hungry for more knowledge and who rigorously searches for evidence. He will even admit when he's wrong, like a good scientist, after testing a hypothesis.

-Highly literate. We haven't physically seen it much yet but he seems a major book-reader in how he comes across to me. Quoting poetry and such is evidence of that - as is his general command of prose. His general tone is also reflective of contemplative book-reading - Here's a Doctor that's more the product of spending many hours in the science fiction section of a library than bombastic television writing.

I like him a lot and "Listen" sealed the deal with me for Capaldi. Holy poo poo he's brilliant.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 19, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd have to agree on Capaldi. I hope it's not that new doctor smell. This is my first new Doctor. I started on Smith, went back and saw some Tennant, then decided to watch everything in order. What were your perceptions on the last 3 new Doctors, and did they change over time?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

I'd have to agree on Capaldi. I hope it's not that new doctor smell. This is my first new Doctor. I started on Smith, went back and saw some Tennant, then decided to watch everything in order. What were your perceptions on the last 3 new Doctors, and did they change over time?

I've liked each of them almost instantly, although it took me until almost the end of their first episodes to see exactly what both Tennant and Capaldi were going for. Capaldi you definitely need to get used to more than the others, I think, because there are a lot of layers to his acting.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Matt Smith started quirky and got more mature, but it was a forced maturity. He's Pee Wee Herman meets Buckaroo Banzai meets Willy Wonka. (All the more reason why I love him.) His best trait was changing the tone from playful to deadly serious, and when not 'forced', delivering meaningful messages to give his best stories a sense of gravity. Towards the end of his run they were pushing the 'really old alien in a young body' thing but weren't quite selling it totally cause Matt is so youthful. Capaldi now IS the maturity they were going for. The times when Matt Smith didn't work felt like his normally brilliant acting was playing out of key with the writing.

David Tennant was the biggest 'hero doctor.' He was a superhero swashbuckler Doctor. He started out a hero and over time kept being heroic. The only really significant way he really changed was he got angrier a lot more often about his 'dark past.' Like superhero comics where readers get bored of the hero being all heroic all the time so the writers introduce 'dark past' stuff and villians linked to the hero's own 'dark past.' It was pulpy and fun at its best. Stupid and eye-rolling at worst. Definitely the most 'overpowered superman' of the Doctors. It's worth noting that his best episode(s) was where he was turned into a normal human for a while - like Superman losing his power and thinking he's totally Clark Kent.

I love them both, and they're different enough for me to not say either was better or worse. They deliver different kinds of stories that are worth enjoying on their own merits.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 19, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Spacedad posted:

-A serious scientist hungry for more knowledge and who rigorously searches for evidence. He will even admit when he's wrong, like a good scientist, after testing a hypothesis.

Argh, thank you! I've been trying to put my finger on something I really enjoyed about him in Listen all week, and that's exactly it. It's high time that we had a Doctor again who could plausibly describe himself as a curious scientist rather than a crusading adventurer.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

Argh, thank you! I've been trying to put my finger on something I really enjoyed about him in Listen all week, and that's exactly it. It's high time that we had a Doctor again who could plausibly describe himself as a curious scientist rather than a crusading adventurer.

A good REAL scientist is basically a hero, albeit an indirect one. See: Climatologists, medical researchers, etc.

A much more thoughtful kind of heroism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

The entire time he's talking to himself and talking to Clara, he's basically losing his mind over the fact that he's had a passing thought that festered into an untestable hypothesis, which was kind of great.

In the end, it turned out to be the veil for another piece of the identity crisis he's been going through all season though. I like that as an overarching plot more than anything to do with Missy, I just wish that Clara didn't have to solve the crisis for him whenever he chooses with total disruption to her life, or that he would be just a tad gentler about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spacedad posted:

A good REAL scientist is basically a hero, albeit an indirect one. See: Climatologists, medical researchers, etc.

A much more thoughtful kind of heroism.

I'm not a hero, Cecil Clara.

I'm a scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not a hero, Cecil Clara.

I'm a scientist.

Which in many ways is better than a hero. The search for truth trumps blundering into impassioned causes where you may be horribly wrong.

Real heroes don't set out to be heroes. Hero is something we call someone in hindsight as a sum of their actions. This new Doctor understands he can't play at being hero or he'll make the horribly wrong decision - he needs to look for the truth.

The new Doc is also brutally honest. A scientist through and through.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2014

• Locked thread