Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So far I think that 12's defining moment is "I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you."
Which is one reason why I can't write off Deep Breath completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm going to coin a nickname for myself for Capaldi, a-la the raggedy doctor:

The dadly scientist. :)

Also, it's worth noting that in 'listen' he essentially has just already inserted himself into the life of and bonded a little like a dad with the new companion. Dad chasing the monsters under the bed away and MLG dadskill headshotting to sleepytime.

I feel like the new companion is going to be a bit like a son (or son in law) hanging with your dad on a vacation. Expect a lot of dadly bonding with the new companion to come.

I'm also hoping we might see a teenage kid companion for the Doctor later for real MLG dadskilling. I could see a dynamic where a younger companion wants to be the hero CapaldiDoc who knows better has to hold them back, to a fault. (Cause dads aren't always right or they wouldn't be dads they'd be omniscient gods.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 19, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

So far I think that 12's defining moment is "I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you."
Which is one reason why I can't write off Deep Breath completely.

That scene totally blindsided me, it was so good and the rest of the episode was so crap. It didn't fit.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Spacedad posted:

Matt Smith started quirky and got more mature, but it was a forced maturity. He's Pee Wee Herman meets Buckaroo Banzai meets Willy Wonka. (All the more reason why I love him.) His best trait was changing the tone from playful to deadly serious, and when not 'forced', delivering meaningful messages to give his best stories a sense of gravity. Towards the end of his run they were pushing the 'really old alien in a young body' thing but weren't quite selling it totally cause Matt is so youthful. Capaldi now IS the maturity they were going for. The times when Matt Smith didn't work felt like his normally brilliant acting was playing out of key with the writing.

See I always wanted them to do more of that and thought that really made the character shine. When he did the "there's one thing you never put in a trap" speech early on in his run I thought hell yes, a guy who can be fish fingers and custard one minute and then 'you fools are toast' the next is awesome.

I felt like the old time-worn moments contrasted and complemented the zany stuff really well when they did it right.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think Smith was supposed to act more scatterbrained but he didn't pull it off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Smith is by far the most wasted Doctor we've had. So much potential and so little payoff thanks to mediocre scripts and all the production bullshit.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Smith is by far the most wasted Doctor we've had. So much potential and so little payoff thanks to mediocre scripts and all the production bullshit.

I don't know, Series 5 was just dandy and consider how badly 8 would've got screwed over if Big Finish hadn't thrown him a bone. Until The Next Dcotor we weren't even sure if 8 counted any more.

I will forever be angry about the split seasons but even then I adored every second Smith was on screen, and Moffat wrote him to have hundreds of off-screen years in that body, allowed him to literally die of old age and then even let him come back sans make-up for his final lines. It could've been worse.

I think of A Good Man Goes To War and Let's Kill Hitler etc. and I genuinely think only of Smith's performance, a Colossus of Rhodes ankle deep in poo poo.

On another note, Planet of Spiders hasn't aged well, has it? What was the story behind Pertwee leaving, he seemed to have a whale of a time?

Psybro fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 19, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is this a split season? Does the Season end with the Christmas special or will there be a break after the Christmas special and more episodes follow a few weeks later?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spikeguy posted:

Is this a split season? Does the Season end with the Christmas special or will there be a break after the Christmas special and more episodes follow a few weeks later?

12 straight episodes, an Xmas special, and that's it for the season. No split.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Psybro posted:

On another note, Planet of Spiders hasn't aged well, has it? What was the story behind Pertwee leaving, he seemed to have a whale of a time?

Everyone else was leaving. Katy Manning had left, Roger Delgado had had his car crash, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks were both making plans, and it seemed like the time for him to go as well. I suspect he may have reached the David Tennant point and thought "if I don't go now, I never will".

There's a beautiful bittersweet moment on the Hand of Fear DVD where Lis Sladen talks about what he did during rehearsals, which is almost worth buying that DVD for on its own.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psybro posted:

On another note, Planet of Spiders hasn't aged well, has it?

The production is rough and it goes too long (which I think you can say about 90% of the original series :v: ), but I kind of like Planet of the Spiders. At the very least having creepy giant spider puppets jump onto people's backs was memorable. And the regen scene is terrific. I also liked that trip back to Metabelis 3 where the giant spiders were being jerks and shoving people around; I kind of want to see them return as a villain.

You can cut about twenty minutes from that chase scene, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Random Stranger posted:

The production is rough and it goes too long (which I think you can say about 90% of the original series :v: ), but I kind of like Planet of the Spiders. At the very least having creepy giant spider puppets jump onto people's backs was memorable. And the regen scene is terrific. I also liked that trip back to Metabelis 3 where the giant spiders were being jerks and shoving people around; I kind of want to see them return as a villain.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-eight-truths-537
http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/worldwide-web-538

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Psybro posted:

I don't know, Series 5 was just dandy and consider how badly 8 would've got screwed over if Big Finish hadn't thrown him a bone. Until The Next Dcotor we weren't even sure if 8 counted any more.

I will forever be angry about the split seasons but even then I adored every second Smith was on screen, and Moffat wrote him to have hundreds of off-screen years in that body, allowed him to literally die of old age and then even let him come back sans make-up for his final lines. It could've been worse.

I think of A Good Man Goes To War and Let's Kill Hitler etc. and I genuinely think only of Smith's performance, a Colossus of Rhodes ankle deep in poo poo.

My one hope is that Big Finish eventually gets the license for revival Who. You're right, 8 (and 6, I guess :barf:) would have been the most wasted if not for BF.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Psybro posted:

It's not so much that he didn't have enough time per se, it was that the writing let him down badly. He never brought anything but his A game, to his credit, but he could've done so much more with the role.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think Smith was supposed to act more scatterbrained but he didn't pull it off.

The writers seemd to either abandon or forget the 'scatterbrained' aspect of the character after the first season. Basically, he went from Troughton 2.0 to Tennant 2.0, and it was all in the writing. Instead of odd and distracted he ended up zany and slick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

The writers seemd to either abandon or forget the 'scatterbrained' aspect of the character after the first season. Basically, he went from Troughton 2.0 to Tennant 2.0, and it was all in the writing. Instead of odd and distracted he ended up zany and slick.

It was when they started styling his hair all fancy. It's a pretty pronounced shift and it lines up almost precisely with tthe change in characterization.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

It was when they started styling his hair all fancy. It's a pretty pronounced shift and it lines up almost precisely with tthe change in characterization.

Yes! This is it exactly. When he gets the ultra gelled hair and the fancy patterned jacket, that's exactly where it all went wrong.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I forgot to mention how ace the callback in Turn Left is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

"YOU... WILL.. BECOME LIKE UZZZ."

I really dig this. I was watching The Tenth Planet again recently (it's a really loving good story) and thinking about what a modern take on that initial design would be like. This gets the clunky feel across well - the sense that the life support mechanisms they built were large and unwieldy which in turn caused them to further "upgrade" in order to still be able to move around, as well as everything happening piecemeal over time rather than all at once.

I don't think Cybermen should STILL look like that because obviously they've reached a point where the completely streamlined the process, but these early Mondasians shouldn't be sleek and streamlined but a messy overloaded patchwork of machinery and organic components.

Edit: On that note, I love that you can see the eyes in the original costuming. Whether it was intentional or not, it gets across this sense of desperation and horror in whatever part of the Cybermen deep down inside recognizes the horror of what they've become. Plus them wrenching open their jaws to allow a filtered, modulated voicebox to thrust sound out of their maws is pretty horrific too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

I really dig this. I was watching The Tenth Planet again recently (it's a really loving good story) and thinking about what a modern take on that initial design would be like. This gets the clunky feel across well - the sense that the life support mechanisms they built were large and unwieldy which in turn caused them to further "upgrade" in order to still be able to move around, as well as everything happening piecemeal over time rather than all at once.

I don't think Cybermen should STILL look like that because obviously they've reached a point where the completely streamlined the process, but these early Mondasians shouldn't be sleek and streamlined but a messy overloaded patchwork of machinery and organic components.

I personally think they should look like that because I don't see much point in the current cybermen who just just look like bad sci fi robomonsters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

I personally think they should look like that because I don't see much point in the current cybermen who just just look like bad sci fi robomonsters.

I don't think they should be concerned with elegance in design (all joking about the Dalek encounter aside) but it makes sense to me that once they had reached a point of replacing everything but the brain (and then altering the brain to be "optimal") that they would replace the patchwork replacement of parts with a refined all-in-one process, which would inevitably lead to less exposed or oversized parts, purely from an efficiency standpoint.

I would love to see an early Mondasian "transplant patient" encounter a "modern" Cyberman though, if only for them to discover what a horrible parody of life their dream of immortality turned out to be. The Cybermen COULD be an incredible villain, it's just a shame that they've almost never had a good story, and they've NEVER had a good (televised) story that actually acknowledges the hollow shell that is their now meaningless imperative to survive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
After listening to Spare Parts it seems as though they should emphasize the "survival of the Mondasians specifically" aspect. Like, instead of them being the "perfect lifeform giving the gift of upgrades to everyone", have them be xenophobic assholes that are willing to deal with (and occasionally gently caress over) other species, but don't allow other species to become one of them because those other species aren't Mondasians.

So do something like The Tenth Planet but have the Cybermen come to establish themselves as rulers with the humans as servants, literally ubermensch.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think they should be concerned with elegance in design (all joking about the Dalek encounter aside) but it makes sense to me that once they had reached a point of replacing everything but the brain (and then altering the brain to be "optimal") that they would replace the patchwork replacement of parts with a refined all-in-one process, which would inevitably lead to less exposed or oversized parts, purely from an efficiency standpoint.

I would love to see an early Mondasian "transplant patient" encounter a "modern" Cyberman though, if only for them to discover what a horrible parody of life their dream of immortality turned out to be. The Cybermen COULD be an incredible villain, it's just a shame that they've almost never had a good story, and they've NEVER had a good (televised) story that actually acknowledges the hollow shell that is their now meaningless imperative to survive.

Hell, the Toclafane could have been this, but RTD went for chipper human brains in little spheres instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

After listening to Spare Parts it seems as though they should emphasize the "survival of the Mondasians specifically" aspect. Like, instead of them being the "perfect lifeform giving the gift of upgrades to everyone", have them be xenophobic assholes that are willing to deal with (and occasionally gently caress over) other species, but don't allow other species to become one of them because those other species aren't Mondasians.

No see that's what I like. The Cybermen as a race are now so removed from what they were that they've become unrecognizable. All the prejudices and flaws and potential and quality of the original Mondasians was lost as the drive for survival saw them lose one little bit of humanity after another. Finally they reached the tipping point and their very human desire to live became a robotic imperative to survive that was mindlessly followed without understanding WHY.

Of course the Cybermen don't care what the race of those they're converting is, because they're simply making more Cybermen, which satisfies the imperative of "WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!" Gender, race, sexuality etc are irrelevant, xenophobia has been cured in the worst way possible. That's why I always think it's silly to see them trying to conquer someplace or form an empire or anything. As far as I'm concerned, the best use of Cybermen would be as a mostly passive presence in the universe. Sectors of space where they exist but do literally nothing - most simply standing in place or hibernating while a small few maintain their equipment. They should only become aggressive or seek expansion when their own survival is threatened - an attack by an outside force, a misunderstanding when a mining vessel comes to what was thought to be an abandoned location etc. They should fight and convert and expand to the point where their survival is no longer threatened at which point they simply.... stop. No malice, no desire for conquest, no active invasions or pursuit of aggressors. They just simply ARE and will remain so until something endangers that one undeniable imperative - WE MUZZZZT SURVIVE!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PriorMarcus posted:

All of the episodes are the worst episode.

Meanwhile, in E-Space:

1963: "All these actors, and they're focusing on the old guy? This show will never last."

1966: "I loved the Doctor before they brought in this dweeb. Are they just going to change the actor every three years? How stupid is that?"

1970: "Great, they take a character as interesting as Two and replace him with a complete jerk. And who is this Master guy? That name is generic as hell."

1974: "Okay, Three was awesome, but this new guy is a weirdo."

1981: "Four was a glorious weirdo, this guy just looks boring."

1984: "I miss Five, he was always the most human of them. This guy is a complete rear end in a top hat."

1987: "Well, Six may have been an rear end in a top hat, but his heart was in the right place. What's this guy's thing? Spoons? Great."

And so it goes on, throughout time and space, a never ending chain of complaints about how last year's season was way better than this one's. So it has been, so shall it ever be. :)

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Two days left on Nevermore on iPlayer, the third story in the fourth series of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures range.

quote:

A bizarre manifestation in the Control Room forces the TARDIS onto the Plutonian shores of the irradiated world Nevermore, whose sole inhabitant is the war criminal Morella Wendigo – a prisoner of this devastated planet. But the Doctor and his new companion aren’t Morella’s only visitors. Senior Prosecutor Uglosi fears the arrival of an assassin, after the blood of his prize prisoner. An assassin with claws…

There’s no escape from Nevermore, whose raven-like robot jailers serve to demonstrate Uglosi’s macabre obsession with the works of the 19th century horror writer Edgar Allan Poe. An obsession that might yet lead to the premature burial of everyone on the planet’s surface – wreathed in the mist they call the Red Death!

Written By: Alan Barnes
Directed By: Nicholas Briggs

Paul McGann (The Doctor), Niky Wardley (Tamsin Drew), Fenella Woolgar (Morella Wendigo), Michael J Shannon (Senior Prosecutor Uglosi), Emilia Fox (Berenice), Eric Loren (Pilot), John Banks (Ravens)

I found this one okay, but it was a bit hard to follow and I zoned out a little bit in places. I quite like the different dynamic Tamsin has with Eight than Lucie, and I'm surprised to like her as much as I do. The way this ties in to Poe is interesting, but I can't help but feel there are more interesting and lucrative ways to tie Doctor Who into Edgar Allan Poe's work, and I'm sure in the future there will be.

Up next is The Book of Kells, at 6pm tomorrow, which will be on iPlayer at some point after that.

quote:

'Anyone who's prepared to kill for a book interests me.'

Ireland, 1006. Strange things have been happening at the isolated Abbey of Kells: disembodied voices, unexplained disappearances, sudden death. The monks whisper of imps and demons. Could the Lord of the Dead himself be stalking these hallowed cloisters?

The Doctor and his companion find themselves in the midst of a medieval mystery. At its heart is a book: perhaps the most important book in the world. The Great Gospel of Columkille. The Liber Columbae.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My review of Marian Conspiracy...
"Let it not be said..."
"Let it not be said..."
"Let no-one say..."
"Let it not be said..."

I read the title as The Martian Conspiracy until I went to purchase it. Kinda disappointed.

I did find it interesting that The Doctor and Evelyn have each other crap from the get-go. It was nice and clever. Not as good as the 3 mirrors jab, but interesting since we were just talking about it.

My impersonation of Six...
*SIGH!* "Fine."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know. People were actually comparing the various seasons from the revival and while there was no consensus, most said 2-3 was the worst and lauded 5 as one of the best, it's not like there's an actual cycle where everyone hates the latest season and grows more fond of it once it fades.

I think the current season is a lot more solid than either part of 7, but I do think some of the episodes run too long and that there's a problem with the way to the Doctor relates to his companion. I think it shows a lot of potential and if they don't focus much on the Missy thing and focus more on Twelve resolving his post-regeneration identity crisis, it could genuinely be the best season since 5.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RodShaft posted:

My review of Marian Conspiracy...
"Let it not be said..."
"Let it not be said..."
"Let no-one say..."
"Let it not be said..."

Oh, I'd forgotten that. That's a J-Raynor-ism, that is.

quote:

I did find it interesting that The Doctor and Evelyn have each other crap from the get-go. It was nice and clever. Not as good as the 3 mirrors jab, but interesting since we were just talking about it.

That's the dynamic that makes Six bearable!

quote:

My impersonation of Six...
*SIGH!* "Fine."

That's why I love'm!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I thought Colin Baker was part of the problem with his televised episodes and figured the thread was full of nonsense before I started listening to Big Finish, but they really did a lot for him. It's a crying shame Colin didn't get a good couple of writers while he was on TV, because he's possibly the best Big Finish Doctor. They should hire him to do voice acting for almost anything he's willing to do if they can find a part for him.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's why I love'm!

Reminds me of Fires of Pompeii(i didn't realize Karen Gilliam was in that one). So far in 75% of the ones I've listened to, a variation of this conversation happens.

Other person: "Doctor, you have like a time machine and could easily save this person/persons."
Six: "Quite true! Well observed! Shall we be off then?"
Other person: "well, could you like do that thing I just said?"
Six: "meh. People die all the time. No point in getting all mucked up in it."
Other person: "pleeeeeeeeeeeese!"
Six: *SIGH!* "Fine."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

You see, Scotland? YOU SEE WHAT YOU MADE HIM DO?!?

Don’t worry, Jerusalem. Look who’s coming back to Big Finish next year!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-main-range-the-next-fifth-doctor-stories-announced

I've been going through the 5 Full TARDIS Team stories and while I have quite a few yet before I'm "caught up" I'm glad to see they aren't retiring this group anytime soon. I've been waiting for them to break up the band and say "oh well Nyssa's leaving now again" or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So I've been watching a bunch of RTD Who on Netflix and I'm realizing just how much of my body language was influenced by David Tennant.

I mean, it makes SENSE - I started watching Tennant (my first Doctor) right around the time my limbs started getting lanky and I had to re-learn how to move (lest I smashed my elbows, wrists, ankles, and knees on every stray cabinet or chair).

But since I identify so much more with (and talk much more like) Six, and because I only started watching "with" the show as-it-aired during the Year of Specials and S5, I always kinda underrated how much of an impact Tennant's portrayal had on me.

Funny, that.

(of course, since the amount of actual movement most of you have seen from me is minimal at best, this post is mostly useless)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Watched Inferno again today, it's the most enjoyably snarky outing with Pertwee vs Evil Benson, Liz and Brig and I don't quite understand how 7 episodes went by. Don't touch that green goo! Choice quotes:

4 (sings): "Shinnne on martian moons in the skyyyyy..."

4: "..but I don't exist in your world!"
Evil Brig: "Then you wont feel the bullets when we shoot you!"

and many more... :D

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I guess this will be controversial:

Season 1: Pretty bad TV, though for someone who watched 10+ years of Power Rangers it was kind of what I expected outside of The Doctor Dances. Did set a nice low bar for what's to come.
Season 2: Mixed bag.
Season 3: Very good. I spazzed out the Jacobi reveal and really liked Martha.
Season 4: Starts off with an episode of season 2 campyness, ends poorly, VERY good in between.

Specials: gently caress you, I like The End of Time. But I think it's emotional impact was robbed by the big cast reunion and massive stakes in The Stolen Earth. I also liked the Desert Bus episode, but I think it was just the one-shot companion character charmed me and not really the scenario. By this point, I was tired of Tennant being handed a party of strangers and watching them slowly die off (Titanic Christmas, every "base under attack" episode, even Midnight is guilty of this)

Season 5: A few great ideas in an otherwise bad season. We establish right away that Matt Smith's defining characteristic is going to be giving long rear end monologues to green-screens, inanimate objects like statue props, and empty rooms.

Season 6: Favorite. I don't get the hate. gently caress that Christmas special right in the ear, though.
Season 7: Uggggh. Only season 1 is worse.
Season 8: Okay. They need to hurry in cutting all ties to the Smith years, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think they've done an admirable job so far cutting the ties. Deep Breath featured Capaldi at first doing a lot of Smithing, and then it just stops, and he settles down. And while I can sort of see an Into the Dalek with Smith, Robots of Sherwood would be radically different, and Listen just wouldn't have happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Season 6: Favorite. I don't get the hate.

The season long arc is not very well handled for a variety of reasons, one of which is being the first split-season which dramatically hosed with the pacing. It also marks the point for a lot of viewers where Moffat's verbalized thoughts (which I try to avoid reading) on how he wanted to run the show either fell flat or actively horrified them.

But it also has some of the best individual episodes of the entire revival - like, not just really really good but outright fantastic episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

So I've been watching a bunch of RTD Who on Netflix and I'm realizing just how much of my body language was influenced by David Tennant.

You really are Tumblr incarnate.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You really are Tumblr incarnate.

Young, loud, and opinionated? Yeah, that'd sum me up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, was the post stupid and kind of pointless? Yeah, I'm prone to that. But please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Watched Inferno again today, it's the most enjoyably snarky outing with Pertwee vs Evil Benson, Liz and Brig and I don't quite understand how 7 episodes went by. Don't touch that green goo! Choice quotes:

4 (sings): "Shinnne on martian moons in the skyyyyy..."

4: "..but I don't exist in your world!"
Evil Brig: "Then you wont feel the bullets when we shoot you!"

and many more... :D

It's Inferno where The Doctor is so proud of his garage door opener, right?

• Locked thread