Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva have pretty much fought every single other person in the top 15 except for each other, which is actually rare for any division between two fighters, so if that fight doesn't finally happen next to fulfill their bad heavyweight destiny then I will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bubba Smith posted:

Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva have pretty much fought every single other person in the top 15 except for each other, which is actually rare for any division between two fighters, so if that fight doesn't finally happen next to fulfill their bad heavyweight destiny then I will be disappointed.

They tried to make that clear back at UFC 146. I'd like to see if Nelson can land his one move through Bigfoot's closed guard or not.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

attackmole posted:

Just got finished watching the Hunt fight. It was beautiful. I'm always impressed by how patient and smart a striker he is. He picks his shots so loving well. He's got crazy KO power, but he only throws at full strength when he knows he can hit you. Never swarms, even when the other guy is hurt, probably because he hits hard enough that he doesn't need to. Just varies his strikes until there's a hole in the guard and then slams you through it.

It's like that despite being punchdrunk, the dude has a suprisingly high fight IQ.

I honestly think Hunt's power is overstated a lot these days, like he obviously has power but I don't think he hits as hard as Roy or JDS and I think his knockouts in the UFC are mostly down to technique. He's 13 years and about 45lbs removed from the peak of his career but the experience gap between him and his opponents is just monumental.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I honestly think Hunt's power is overstated a lot these days, like he obviously has power but I don't think he hits as hard as Roy or JDS and I think his knockouts in the UFC are mostly down to technique. He's 13 years and about 45lbs removed from the peak of his career but the experience gap between him and his opponents is just monumental.

JDS hit Roy with EVERYTHING, and wasn't able to put him away.

e: after re-reading your post I agree with you. Hunt has a power level of 9, Roy and JDS have a 10. But Hunt's technique makes up for it.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 20, 2014

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Fozzy The Bear posted:

yeah, and Roy has had 9 fights since then.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

e: after re-reading your post I agree with you. Hunt has a power level of 9, Roy and JDS have a 10. But Hunt's technique makes up for it.

that's what i'm saiyan

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hunt is also crazy accurate once he's zeroed in on his victim's chin. Roy catches dudes wherever he can hit with his right hand, but Hunt always seems to hit right on the button.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Too bad Shane Carwin isn't in the UFC, I would like to see him matched up with Roy or Hunt.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Has anyone here read Wrestling with Madness? I saw the trailer for Foxcatcher today and was thinking about picking it up.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Too bad Shane Carwin isn't in the UFC, I would like to see him matched up with Roy or Hunt.

Nelson was matched up with Carwin at one point

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

parthenocarpy posted:

Nelson was matched up with Carwin at one point

Shane's back had other plans though :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't want to rain too much on the Horiguchi train, as that fight was sweet and he did look good, but I feel compelled to point out that his UFC opponents have a combined record of 1-6 at the time of the fights, and that one guy with a win was Dustin Pague, and it came against a guy who went 0-3-done.

He needs to go against someone like Ray Borg, Josh Sampo, or Turkish Delight before he even moves up to the Louis Gaudinots and Tim Elliots of the division. You know, someone who has demonstrated an ability to actually win a fight in the UFC.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
what's the harm in letting someone who's 3-0 in the ufc and has looked impressive every time fight someone on the lower end of the top 10?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i agree, but also: remember when he broke struve's skull

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

what's the harm in letting someone who's 3-0 in the ufc and has looked impressive every time fight someone on the lower end of the top 10?

Yeah nobody is calling for a title shot. Although if they're giving them out to Cariaso it could go to any warm bodies.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 21, 2014

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This is what they say every time they make Faber V. David "Tough Enough" Yarlburo.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taNp3k3Q_9k
ufc viral video

"How's your knee?"
"My knee is 100%, 200%! I feel like I have three knees!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah nobody is calling for a title shot. Although if they're giving them out to Cariaso it could go to any warm bodies.

If they want to build him into a contender and The Future Of Japanese MMA, they might want to do it cautiously. Something about him makes me worry that he'll be one of those fighters who looks invincible for a while before getting exposed and becoming the butt of jokes. Perhaps I just want to see that fun ride drawn out a bit before someone like Zach Makovsky puts him on his back and takes a 30-27 from him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

If they want to build him into a contender and The Future Of Japanese MMA, they might want to do it cautiously. Something about him makes me worry that he'll be one of those fighters who looks invincible for a while before getting exposed and becoming the butt of jokes. Perhaps I just want to see that fun ride drawn out a bit before someone like Zach Makovsky puts him on his back and takes a 30-27 from him.

Someone mentioned it in the gameday thread but as soon as he left the cage he ignored security to shake hands with a group of teenage girls. He is the next Masato.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The Rin/Meisha fight was the worst poo poo I've ever seen out of WMMA so far. I figured Meisha would at least throw a basic 1-2 combo a bunch of times while defending takedowns, but she didn't even do that. I don't think I witnessed a single strike in that fight that you could even call halfway decent. They could have fought for 10 rounds with no finish.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I still think Rin might have won. It was that loving bad.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't think Meisha won, but Rin definitely lost

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

vainman posted:

I don't think Meisha won, but Rin definitely lost

Yeeeeah. I think this is more what I meant.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
The state of wmma is where a 5'1" muscle-fetish weird lady with a questionable record could have essentially won a fight against the second most hyped woman in the division

but really wmma is good yall

lol

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
rin had miesha's back twice and it looked like miesha was giving her younger plump sister a piggyback ride

it was such a terrible fight yet such a bizarre strange display to witness

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rin Nakai is a fraud and Miesha Tate is juuuust barely better than her.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The fight was too loving weird to be bad in the classical sense, but it was bad.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rin Nakai is a fraud and Miesha Tate is juuuust barely better than her.

There are a lot of weirdos on twitter that say this fight was Miesha "proving the haters wrong."

How looking tepid and barely competent in a decision over Japan's Lady Fedor And Most Protected Insect Muscle Fetish Model somehow silences criticism, I cannot understand. There are people saying she looks improved enough to get another shot at Rousey, I guess because she successfully defended a bad armbar attempt :stare:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really wanted Rin to win, ideally by suplex KO. It would have been the funniest thing ever - the conquest of weird. The longer the fight went on, the more I desired it.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Meisha sucks and so does Rin. I hope that strawweight division shows us otherwise but there has been some real stinker of women's fights and not as many good ones as I would have hoped since they introduced the division. Rousey, Bethe, and Cat are pretty awesome and good to watch but the rest of them are sketchy at best.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Yuriy posted:

The state of wmma is where a 5'1" muscle-fetish weird lady with a questionable record could have essentially won a fight against the second most hyped woman in the division

lol

:jerkbag:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Mens Mixed Martial arts apparently is a fat guy and a fatter guy throwing clubbering fore arm shivers and as soon as they get hit the fight is over, it's pretty bad to be quite honest.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Mens Mixed Martial arts apparently is a fat guy and a fatter guy throwing clubbering fore arm shivers and as soon as they get hit the fight is over, it's pretty bad to be quite honest.

I agree, its pretty bad-rear end

Because I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
Come On
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's Bad . . .

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

lol

The best challenger for the heavyweight title is a middle-aged kickboxer who balloons up to 320 pounds in between fights. MMA is stupid.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

If all wmma fights were as entertaining as Hunt vs Nelson it would be really good and cool

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43FAdZEPSk

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Eeehhh... watching dis show... eehh... I... I... can't take it... I can't take it anymore... eeehhh... had to turn... turn... turn... I had to turn dis show off.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I generally think that Renato has dragged his gimmick out for waay too long, but I couldn't help but lose my poo poo at "Brokeback Mountch".

Also, here's Renato showing some holes in his bottom game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mchL6vNW7bU&t=13s

(I had no idea the guy was anything outside an Eddie Bravo student roleplaying a brazilian.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It's telling how unlikeable JBJ is in relation to his Jesus poo poo is when Mark Hunt does it and it's almost adorable in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Log posted:

I still think Rin might have won. It was that loving bad.

I scored it 29-28 Rin because none of Tate's strikes counted as effective offense.

• Locked thread