Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
This new doctor doesn't think bow ties are cool :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't like this one much. The concepts were all good but I don't think it came together in a satisfying way - Saibra and Si felt too much like stock characters who exposited a bit of backstory at one point rather than being properly characterised.

I think it also loses the bank heist feel once they're in the maintenance tunnels, the episode's sense of urgency slowly evaporates from that point and it just feels a bit weird that apparently these tunnels are largely unsecured and go absolutely everywhere to the point where they can just walk up to the main vault.

Still some good bits, loved Capaldi, liked Coleman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpaceCommie posted:

I am wondering if any of the writers know what a skull is. (Unless I missed a line about the Teller removing bone too ...)

The Doctor said the process turned the brain to "soup", I just figured the process also softened/dissolved that facing part of the skull too.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

• And lastly, I'm a gay dude but Coleman's fashion this episode was eye catching (though I'm one of those douchebags who doesn't like women in heels because double-standards rant here.)

As a gay dude, do you often respond to women who dress in men's clothing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

As a gay dude, do you often respond to women who dress in men's clothing?

Irish Joe posted:

That kid has the most amazing blow job lips I've ever seen.

gently caress off, you microcephalic, manure-covered mockery of a man. All you seem to do is hit-and-run swipes at posters whenever - I have to assume - the crushing pointlessness of your continued existence drives you to fits of manic, mediocre malevolence.

The alternative - that you're a well-adjusted, happy individual who nonetheless engages in this pitiable behavior for no conceivable reason - is simply too depressing to contemplate.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Spikeguy posted:

I had fun watching with friends, but it felt like the worst episode of this series so far. And I hate who ever mentioned that the editing was choppy, because now I can't unsee it and it's was a little jarring this go around. Specifically the scene where one moment they are standing around talking in a room and then all of a sudden they are climbing down some pipes in a boiler room.

Sorry bud :shrug:

Thought this one was ok but pretty much just that. Not much actually happened in it, and it felt more like a bunch of scenes randomly strung together than a coherent, engaging story. I actually really liked computer guy and face-change girl, though. They were pretty well characterised for what time they had.

Also

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress off.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like, much as Moffat is against them, this is an episode that would have looked really good as a two-parter just to give all the plot beats a bit more space and make the characters feel more meaningful. It felt like a movie plot crammed into a TV show's time allotment, to me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

They said no flirting or romance,

They didn't actually. Moffat and Capaldi have both denied that story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

They didn't actually. Moffat and Capaldi have both denied that story.

I was there when they denied it, so in the absence of a QnA vid from New York, I can vouch for this.

EDIT: Oh yeah Diabolik, you were there too! G'doy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Android Blues posted:

I feel like, much as Moffat is against them, this is an episode that would have looked really good as a two-parter just to give all the plot beats a bit more space and make the characters feel more meaningful. It felt like a movie plot crammed into a TV show's time allotment, to me.

Yeah, on thinking about it, I would agree. It's actually a strong idea, with a story and script that could've held a two-parter quite easily, and I'm sure the characters would've been able to shine through from it, too. It's one of the few bits of TV in recent memory that's gotten my heart pounding, and at the very least the cyborg would've probably done very well with the extra time.

A lot of the aethetics of the episode reminded me of the sort of future settings that RTD did a lot, that hasn't turned up much in Moffat's run. The setting, the Teller's design, the future humans' outfits, it all reminded me of episodes like Gridlock and the Planet of the Ood. I really liked those settings, and this episode did them all really strongly, so I was pretty happy about that.

The one thing I'd level against it is that I really didn't feel like Capaldi's voice was there for this one. With all the other episodes so far, it's given a good feeling of what Twelve is like as a character, and how he approaches things differently compared to a lot of his predecessors, but with this one I could easily see Smith, Tennant, or (especially) Eccleston doing pretty much the same thing. Maybe that's just because I'm really paying attention to that now, thanks to you lot making me notice it, but this one more than anything so far just didn't feel like a 'Twelfth Doctor story'.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think I could have imagined any of those previous Doctors offering a suicide device as an option.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FreezingInferno posted:

Pretty good episode on first viewing, though I never really solidify my opinion until a rewatch.

Was talking with a friend about the episode, and we talked about "Doctors who would totally be willing to pull off a bank heist." I nominated Two and Seven; the former being an anarchist, and the latter being a master plotter. He thinks that Nine could pull it off.

I now want to read a multi-Doctor story where Two joins Seven and Ace for a bank heist for the sheer hell of it, or to take down some authority figure who's up to no good.

I absolutely concur. You might also want to look into 'The Veiled Leopard' (available for free on Big Finish's Soundcloud) for a Doctor Who heist story without the Doctor (but it has Ace, Peri Hex and Erimem).

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress off, you microcephalic, manure-covered mockery of a man. All you seem to do is hit-and-run swipes at posters whenever - I have to assume - the crushing pointlessness of your continued existence drives you to fits of manic, mediocre malevolence.

The alternative - that you're a well-adjusted, happy individual who nonetheless engages in this pitiable behavior for no conceivable reason - is simply too depressing to contemplate.

Aside from the use of gently caress at the beginning, I read it in Six's voice. Well done. :golfclap:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have they introduced rules on Sonic Screwdriver usage? I like that none of the episodes this season has been resolved by it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't think I could have imagined any of those previous Doctors offering a suicide device as an option.

That's really the only part that didn't quite square; everything else was pretty doable by the last three. Even then, I could've seen Eccleston offering it, especially early in his season.

But, I suppose not every story has to be definitively a 'this Doctor is different from the last ones' story. By this point in their first seasons, Nine had just come off of the Slitheen story, Ten was smack-bang in the middle of the Cyberman's reintroduction, and Eleven had just finished the Angels two-parter. All of them, well within the 'we know this Doctor well enough by now' range.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

You're very mean for a clown.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Feels like every episode has the Doctor going to [place] that is the most [adjective] in the universe.

Couldn't it just have been a bank with a bunch of wacky scifi stuff? Is it really necessary for it to be explicitly the most secure bank in all of creation? Do they think the audience won't understand that the bank is hard to break in to if in theory there is another bank somewhere in the entire universe that is harder to break in to?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Pigbog posted:

Feels like every episode has the Doctor going to [place] that is the most [adjective] in the universe.

Couldn't it just have been a bank with a bunch of wacky scifi stuff? Is it really necessary for it to be explicitly the most secure bank in all of creation? Do they think the audience won't understand that the bank is hard to break in to if in theory there is another bank somewhere in the entire universe that is harder to break in to?

I wouldn't mind it if they at all backed it up or made the viewer actually feel like it was the most secure bank. To be honest, there were two security guards and a brain melting monster and that was about it for security.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'd just like a lot of smaller stories in general. A lot of the pomp and "this is the most x in the y" can be generally done away with. Listen was a step in the right direction.

I'm really just a sucker for character study bottle episodes. Do a Shuttlepod One in the TARDIS.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spikeguy posted:

They said no flirting or romance, but it seems like he's interested in meddling with Clara's lovelife. But that could be more akin to a child who doesn't want their single parent dating someone new like in Problem Child 2.

I wonder if the theme is going to be that the person who is with the Doctor when he regenerates is "imprinted" on him so he becomes jealous if they pay attention to someone else? You can make that case for his fixation on Amy and Rose with the last two regenerations, certainly. It does lend some credence to the "negging" theory, much as I hate to say that.

Also, did anyone else have flashbacks to Frobisher standing in front of the 456 case in Children of Earth when 12 was in front of that fogged up glass cage containing The Teller? :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, I actually thought the twist would be that the Architect was the director all along and had hired the Doctor and co to test the bank's security. That being said, this was a nice episode, had a memorable monster, and didn't have anything excessively cringe worthy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

HD DAD posted:

I'd just like a lot of smaller stories in general. A lot of the pomp and "this is the most x in the y" can be generally done away with. Listen was a step in the right direction.

Fortunately, it looks like next week's story is pretty small.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

I wonder if the theme is going to be that the person who is with the Doctor when he regenerates is "imprinted" on him so he becomes jealous if they pay attention to someone else? You can make that case for his fixation on Amy and Rose with the last two regenerations, certainly. It does lend some credence to the "negging" theory, much as I hate to say that.

Also, did anyone else have flashbacks to Frobisher standing in front of the 456 case in Children of Earth when 12 was in front of that fogged up glass cage containing The Teller? :allears:

More like he's seeing what happens when companions start having a life outside of him, and he's just worried about being alone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they at all backed it up or made the viewer actually feel like it was the most secure bank. To be honest, there were two security guards and a brain melting monster and that was about it for security.

Rather like the Shadow Proclomation in "Journey's End", really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

I'm really just a sucker for character study bottle episodes. Do a Shuttlepod One in the TARDIS.

I don't think you can really do that with a ship infinitely larger on the inside :v:.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Metal Loaf posted:

Rather like the Shadow Proclomation in "Journey's End", really.

The shadow proclamation being three people in a clean room with a desk was pretty much the biggest anticlimax it could be. Even considering that the whole thing was a throwaway line in Rose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This was an OK episode. Nothing great, nothing bad.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The "most secure bank in the X" thing really could have used some follow-up along the lines of "aha, but 95% of it is keeping the undesirables away, which has already been taken care of, and the Teller and the goons in the lobby are their last resort". It seemed like maybe that had been more explicit at one point, and then accidentally rewritten out without anyone noticing.

Davros1 posted:

More like he's seeing what happens when companions start having a life outside of him, and he's just worried about being alone.

Again with the Pertwee comparisons! To me, this is playing like nothing so much as someone who remembers how bad it felt when Jo Grant left and he's trying to make sure that what happened with Jo doesn't happen again.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Just watched Time Heist, the episode was okay. Interesting start led to a mediocre finish. I hated the "scary alien just wants its mate" thing in Hide, it didn't get much better the second time around. At least the other characters involved in the heist seemed fairly fleshed out.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
This episode really felt like at least a 90 minute story crammed into a normal length. Things were just introduced so fast you blink and miss them, and like other people have said they didn't really make the bank FEEL like it was secure and hard to get into. Once they were in the maintenance corridors they had the whole run of the place! The editing was a bit of a nightmare and it was just so go go go the whole time because there was so much to deal with in the little time they had. Such as how the solar storm went from 'oh just a thing' to what is going to wipe the bank off the face of the planet. That could have done with some foreshadowing, the doctor talking about the bank at the start and dropping 'or it was the most secure until it was demolished by solar storms huh i wonder how far off that is' or something of the like.

They were trying something slightly different, and I give credit for that but honestly, they really need to back away from no two parters if they are going to keep having stories that desperately need them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

I appreciate your sentiments but you do realize that getting just such a reaction from you and others is what dudes like that practically live for. There's an Ignore feature for a reason, after all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

You're very mean for a clown.

Mean? Clown!?

...Oh, it's not worth it, really. Planets come and go, stars perish. Matter disperses, coalesces, forms into other patterns, other worlds.

Nothing can be eternal... except, it seems, for Irish Joe's general unpleasantness.

If one could somehow take refuge within your capacity for nastiness, one could most likely surf out the heat death of the universe. Who needs Block Transfer Computation - Irish Joe's sheer assholery can stave off entropy well enough!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I appreciate your sentiments but you do realize that getting just such a reaction from you and others is what dudes like that practically live for. There's an Ignore feature for a reason, after all.

I enjoy the practice. It's very self-affirming, knowing that you're right about things.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

I enjoy the practice. It's very self-affirming, knowing that you're right about things.

I prefer to take solace in my rightness by using the Ignore feature, knowing that I can safely dismiss whatever nonsense the ignored party is squawking about.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Since when does getting upset at a joke make you right? Heck, I even managed to avoid pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of that guy using feminism to justify his criticism of Clara's shoes, as if he were doing women a favor by complaining about heels.

(I also refrained early from pointing out the hypocrisy of the guy who claimed he was a good feminist for hating River Song, but that's neither here nor there.)

I feel like my heroism in the face of stupidity should be lauded, not ridiculed.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE8T12-ZfW4

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Since when does getting upset at a joke make you right? Heck, I even managed to avoid pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of that guy using feminism to justify his criticism of Clara's shoes, as if he were doing women a favor by complaining about heels.

(I also refrained early from pointing out the hypocrisy of the guy who claimed he was a good feminist for hating River Song, but that's neither here nor there.)

I feel like my heroism in the face of stupidity should be lauded, not ridiculed.

Irish Joe, as I'm sure you're aware, you've cultivated a general aura of nastiness from your hit-and-run shiposts and shallow, often personal attack-based criticisms.

If you sincerely wanted to engender a constructive, considered conversation about feminism, or gender roles, or anything else, you'd have done better had you not begun by making a petty drive-by joke about another poster's personal sexual proclivities. As it stands, you raised no argument and certainly engaged in no "heroism".

You've got no reserves of "good faith" in this thread; I hope sincerely that that situation will change, but I'm not optimistic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's another drive by post you dumb*ss!!!!!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

Irish Joe, as I'm sure you're aware, you've cultivated a general aura of nastiness from your hit-and-run shiposts and shallow, often personal attack-based criticisms.

If you sincerely wanted to engender a constructive, considered conversation about feminism, or gender roles, or anything else, you'd have done better had you not begun by making a petty drive-by joke about another poster's personal sexual proclivities. As it stands, you raised no argument and certainly engaged in no "heroism".

You've got no reserves of "good faith" in this thread; I hope sincerely that that situation will change, but I'm not optimistic.

Dude you're falling for it again :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thompson is excellent at these kinds of episodes, his previous is The Curse of the Black Spot and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS.

Trin Tragula posted:

The "most secure bank in the X" thing really could have used some follow-up along the lines of "aha, but 95% of it is keeping the undesirables away, which has already been taken care of, and the Teller and the goons in the lobby are their last resort". It seemed like maybe that had been more explicit at one point, and then accidentally rewritten out without anyone noticing.

I think they were going for "most of the bank security was bypassed by that shapeshifting woman's special shapeshifting".

The reason the episode fell down, I think - and it did fall down - was that it completely half arsed the genre conventions. If you watch something like Ocean's Eleven the structure is:

1. Describe the security of the bank, get some people whose special abilities will help you. This is the majority of the film.
2. Do the break in which goes mostly smoothly (minus some small drama on individual jobs) with a twist at the end.

Part 1 is over in moments. They immediately wake up with the crew already assembled (which had that cute shot of holding the bugs like a phone) and then describe the one security system in the place, which causes them approximately zero issues. This completely fucks up the rhythm of the episode. It was also pretty obvious that the Doctor or the owner of the bank was the Architect (in the end it was both, of course), and the fact that time travel was involved was immediately flagged up by the name of the episode.

This kind of episode may have worked in previous series but Moffat's current goal of "cut out all of the extraneous stuff" is pretty killer to a genre where the important stuff is the extraneous stuff. There are lots of little coincidences (that aren't explained by time travel) and nonsenses all over the place and the editing was so poor that it felt like I was watching the episode while making my dinner and kept on missing bits. On several occasions I thought I had actually just blanked out and missed something important and skipped back to catch what it was - but there was nothing there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a lazy sunday afternoon. Posting :words: on the internet is a welcome distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I understand moffat effecting canon is a sore subject here, but i just thought of "Listen" one last time, and i think it answers a long running question of doctor who, dating even back to the classic series. That i think that it makes clear (combined with showing the helpless populace in "Time of the doctor") that not all people who live in gallifrey are time lords, being that the adults who visit the doctor in the barn question his ability to "become" a time lord at a later time. This means that somewhere on the planet there must be at least a portion of the population that doesnt make the cut, and has to have some other title and occupation.

I am satisfied with this, as i always preferred the concept that time lords were specially trained, handpicked operatives of gallifrey's government, and not just a whole society of immortal time travellers. Even if we accept that "The doctor" was an average student (and a deserter), who doesnt share the attitude of the other time lords we encounter, it does seem that he rose to an elite position within the society at some point in his past.

We've known that not all Time Lords (species) are Time Lords (group) since The Invasion of Time in 1978, just so you know. And while we're doing DoctorWhat styled pointless overly serious posting you mean "affect".

• Locked thread