Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Beartaco posted:

My plan is to just not give a flying gently caress about Canadian politics while I'm there. I think it'll make life a lot easier.
Yeah, I'm in London and it's not as though politics here is any better than back home, but I still feel a lot better being here simply because I'm not at all invested in British politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I am a dumby and I don't understand why its being reported that national have an absolute majority. Surely at 48% they have to have a coalition with at least one extra person? That isn't absolute - it might be nitpicking but I think its important to be accurate when reporting (or talking actually) about something so serious

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

klen dool posted:

I am a dumby and I don't understand why its being reported that national have an absolute majority. Surely at 48% they have to have a coalition with at least one extra person? That isn't absolute - it might be nitpicking but I think its important to be accurate when reporting (or talking actually) about something so serious

Because our media suck, don't know that some terms have specific meanings.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, they do have to go into a coalition but that extra one could just be their pet party ACT which is accurately described as National2 due to how they get in and how little power that gives them in regard to overriding National's policies. Also why bother being accurate about politics now when they haven't before? Looking forward to people describing this as a popular mandate despite it being less than half the people who voted and a third of all the voters.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

klen dool posted:

48% of the vote before you remove the party vote for the Conservatives, Internet Mana, Legalize Cannabis, Ban 1080 etc. They have 61 out of 121 MPs, its a majority unless the special votes change anything

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
So Jason Ede quit, basically proving everything in Dirty Politics is true.

But we already knew that. It's just a shame those who support the party don't give a stuff.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I think part of the problem for Labour is that they tried to beat Key at his own game, effectively turning the Election into a Presidential style race. Cunliffe was never going to compare. A second problem was that the MPs themselves didn't really do much in the way of campaigning, as far as I could see, taking a "secure my electorate then sit back and watch things fall over" approach. The new leader selection process is good, but I think the caucus needs a final veto over who the leader is, otherwise they'll continue to have leaders voted in by the membership/unions and go through this again and again.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Soviet Space Dog posted:

48% of the vote before you remove the party vote for the Conservatives, Internet Mana, Legalize Cannabis, Ban 1080 etc. They have 61 out of 121 MPs, its a majority unless the special votes change anything

I think they had 62 MPs out of 121 last I checked. But I think Key will offer a symbolic deal to Act and United Future if only to provide cover for the really unpopular stuff they want to do.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

truther posted:

So Jason Ede quit, basically proving everything in Dirty Politics is true.

I hope key just went Get the gently caress out and booted his butt out the door

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Binkenstein posted:

I think part of the problem for Labour is that they tried to beat Key at his own game, effectively turning the Election into a Presidential style race. Cunliffe was never going to compare. A second problem was that the MPs themselves didn't really do much in the way of campaigning, as far as I could see, taking a "secure my electorate then sit back and watch things fall over" approach. The new leader selection process is good, but I think the caucus needs a final veto over who the leader is, otherwise they'll continue to have leaders voted in by the membership/unions and go through this again and again.

The problem with that is that there's a significant disconnect between what the caucus wants and what the party membership/unions want, with a significant portion of the caucus basically alienating the membership because of the behaviour you described, and by being far too long in the tooth.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I hope key just went Get the gently caress out and booted his butt out the door

If by booted out you mean a handshake and "well done" then yeah, that's exactly what happened.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with that is that there's a significant disconnect between what the caucus wants and what the party membership/unions want, with a significant portion of the caucus basically alienating the membership because of the behaviour you described, and by being far too long in the tooth.

The only way that can be fixed is for the caucus to be renewed with people who will better reflect what the membership wants. That won't happen easily, only a couple of the MPs are list only MPs and the electorates are up to the LECs to select a candidate and they obviously have a good support network in the local communities, that is how they became the candidate for that electorate in the first place. Then even if an electorate MP does stand down there will be a by-election which Labour is not currently in a financial position to fight effectively. Leading to the possibility of an embarrassing loss.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

The only way that can be fixed is for the caucus to be renewed with people who will better reflect what the membership wants. That won't happen easily, only a couple of the MPs are list only MPs and the electorates are up to the LECs to select a candidate and they obviously have a good support network in the local communities, that is how they became the candidate for that electorate in the first place. Then even if an electorate MP does stand down there will be a by-election which Labour is not currently in a financial position to fight effectively. Leading to the possibility of an embarrassing loss.

Yep, sounds about right. The entrenched MPs should also be doing a hell of a lot better as well.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

fong posted:

National's coalition hasn't stopped them from making all the changes they wanted in education. They got charter schools, national standards, the 6-week teacher training course, and now this new executive principals thing. The only thing that's been holding them back are the unions, otherwise we'd probably have full-on performance pay based on student progress in the standards.

I'd expect whatever changes National want to make in education in this term to come to a head towards the end of next year when various collective agreements come up for negotiation. Probably their first step will be to try and bring the principals back into the State Sector Act, meaning they can't voice political opinions publicly.

I was sitting around a table full of teachers who were all quite chuffed that National got back in, and the very next thing they were talking about was how bad performance pay would be. I just can't comprehend it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Smithersnz posted:

I was sitting around a table full of teachers who were all quite chuffed that National got back in, and the very next thing they were talking about was how bad performance pay would be. I just can't comprehend it.

They're all secretly thinking "I work harder than anyone here so I'll probably get a pay rise, but I'll commiserate with these losers anyway".

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

Hamish Rutherford (Stuff) posted:

ACT is said to be pushing for Seymour to become a minister, in part to give the party additional resources that come with ministerial funding. However, there is reluctance to grant the wish as it would immediately expose the fresh-faced MP to questions in the House.
Come on, now.

Not that Seymour answering questions isn't a great image, of course.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Metaconcert posted:

Come on, now.

Not that Seymour answering questions isn't a great image, of course.

this is worse

quote:

Other MPs expected to see promotion to ministerial roles are likely to include Northland MP Mike Sabin, Botany [wrong electorate] MP and former gardening celebrity Maggie Barry and Paul Goldsmith.

police minister for the guy who needs to follow along with his finger when he reads a patsy question? gently caress offff

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

police minister for the guy who needs to follow along with his finger when he reads a patsy question? gently caress offff

Well, he's not really breaking any stereotypes for members of police unions, is he?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Hmmm...We need someone in Labour to give us some outrageous quotes for a click-bait article.
I know just who to call!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10529753/Labours-Steve-Gibson-takes-swing-at-Cunliffe

Halfpast_Yellow
Oct 7, 2010
Commiserations guys.

I thought Wayne Mapp's post on Pundit had something reasonable about it. Feel free to disagree.

Wayne Mapp posted:

I think the term "tory" is really unhelpful in understanding New Zealand politics, and New Zealand generally. There is no coterie of Old Etonians in the National Party.

I appreciate that you don't agree, but the centre-right is not heedless of child poverty or filthy rivers. In fact I recently posted on Pundit the convergence of the Nats, Labour and the Greens on the issue of clean rivers.

So the abuse you heap on National and New Zealand generally (not a common feature on this site) will only stand in the way of a proper analysis.

There two specific points I would make.

For Labour to succeed they have to stop going on about the failure of the "neo-liberal experiment". The reforms of the 1980's are now 30 years ago. The GFC did not fundamentally unsettle them. It is time to accept that New Zealand is not going to get back to a modernised form of the 1970's.

Second, connect with what actually matters to New Zealand voters. Forget about sideshows. Recognise that New Zealand politics is not riddled with corruption. Frankly the activities of a right wing blogger is not what politics is about.

So in my view the voters, or at least a substantial majority of them, have seen a moderate centre-right government in action now for 6 years. It does not scare them, and it does not look mean and heartless.

National took on board the lesson that New Zealand is a fundamentally moderate nation after the departure of Don Brash. Labour's rsponse, abetted by the Greens, is that New Zealand wants to swing sharply left. It is a cul de sac for Labour, just as the swing to the right was for National.

Now it has to be pretty easy to find a moderate centre-left vision for Labour just as it proved realitively easy for National to find a moderate centre-right line, when we realised that is what we had to do if we wanted to regain the Treasury benches.

Mind you we had to have John Key as Leader before we could that. But once he was installed, it was an easy and non- contentious debate within the caucus to move in that direction.

Will such a debate be so easy for Labour, or will it let passions tear it apart?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Halfpast_Yellow posted:

Wayne Mapp's post

quote:

Recognise that New Zealand politics is not riddled with corruption.

HAHAHAHAHA

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Relatively, I guess. We're not the PRC or India in terms of widespread corruption.

Even so, that's a pretty low bar to clear.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
actually wayne mapp is a stupid bitch

nothing labour put forward was a ~sharp swing to the left~ and the greens had john armstrong praising their economics

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lol the National Candidate for Westcoast-Tasman is in the paper having a whine about biased media coverage negatively impacting her campaign. She got destroyed by O'Connor in the Hokitika region, where she was mayor before stepping down at the last local body elections. She says it was because the paper reported on her term as Mayor led to Hokitika having the highest rate increases and taking on the most debt per ratepayer in the country. The paper left out the details that a lot of the money was spent on junkets for her and some of her friends. She is currently going to be a list MP so long as National doesn't drop any in the specials. So she will fit right in I guess.

Also National scored highly in the party vote here. Mostly because people are convinced if Labour gets in the Greens will close the mines. But ignore the fact that mines closed by Green party is 0 mines closed by National is at least 3.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

National took on board the lesson that New Zealand is a fundamentally moderate nation after the departure of Don Brash.

What a crock of poo poo, National took on board the lesson that if they bash Maori 'privileges' hard enough, and push the talking point that Maori are all welfare bludgers descended from savages who need saving by the civilised European they would see a 20% rise in their polling.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

For Labour to succeed they have to stop going on about the failure of the "neo-liberal experiment". The reforms of the 1980's are now 30 years ago. The GFC did not fundamentally unsettle them. It is time to accept that New Zealand is not going to get back to a modernised form of the 1970's.

how do you even go about unpacking a statement like that?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

focal ischemia posted:

how do you even go about unpacking a statement like that?

It's true.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Varkk posted:

Also National scored highly in the party vote here. Mostly because people are convinced if Labour gets in the Greens will close the mines. But ignore the fact that mines closed by Green party is 0 mines closed by National is at least 3.
To be fair, not that I think it would have changed the number, but had this election gone Labour's way it would've been the first time the Greens had ever been in power.

Halfpast_Yellow
Oct 7, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

What a crock of poo poo, National took on board the lesson that if they bash Maori 'privileges' hard enough, and push the talking point that Maori are all welfare bludgers descended from savages who need saving by the civilised European they would see a 20% rise in their polling.

On the flipside Labour completely hosed Maori over with actual legislation (F&S Act) leading to the creation of the MP. The act was repealed and replaced under the National led government in 2011 with support from the MP, with the new act designed to address the fundamental rights of Maori violated by the Labour legislation. Whether it addressed them to satisfaction is up for debate.

So there is that.

Halfpast_Yellow fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 22, 2014

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Halfpast_Yellow posted:

On the flipside Labour completely hosed Maori over with actual legislation (F&S Act) leading to the creation of the MP. The act was repealed and replaced under the National led government in 2011 with support from the MP, with the new act designed to address the fundamental rights of Maori violated by the Labour legislation. Whether it addressed them to satisfaction is up for debate.

So there is that.

I agree, however I don't recall an immense boost to Labour's polls on the back of the Foreshore and Seabed bill (contrasted with the more racially divisive Orewa speech), nor does Maoridom seem particularly happy with the replacement F&S Act from 2011.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 22, 2014

Halfpast_Yellow
Oct 7, 2010
Orewa is and was total bullshit, but they did ultimately lose the post speech election and turf out that leader. Are you saying the National party of 2014 is still closely defined by the Don Brash speech in 2004? 10 years is a long time in politics.

In more current events the Conservatives seem to have taken up the mantle of 'gently caress Maaaari Bludgers' and they didn't cross the 5%.

Halfpast_Yellow fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 22, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Halfpast_Yellow posted:

Whether it addressed them to satisfaction is up for debate.
I wouldn't say it's up for a massive debate seeing as the Maori electorates have always seen Labour as the disproportionately dominant party vote, their party vote has nose-dived since they formed a National government, and their old guard were clearly important in stemming that tide of unpopularity since every electorate went to Labour except for Flavell's.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Halfpast_Yellow posted:

Orewa is and was total bullshit, but they did ultimately lose the post speech election and turf out that leader. Are you saying the National party of 2014 is still closely defined by the Don Brash speech in 2004? 10 years is a long time in politics.

No, National's leadership today being defined by Brash's speech was not my point, nor am I contending that. My point was that National saw an increase of 20% in the polls as a result of the most racially divisive speech we've seen as a country in many years, and they retained that share of the vote to propel them to victory in 2008. The success of National gaining and retaining that share of the vote on the back of Brash's speech does not strike me as an example of swing voters in NZ being 'fundamentally moderate', as Mapp claims they are.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

for a start there's no way you could reasonably describe the policy of anyone on the left as a modernised form of the 1970s

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

focal ischemia posted:

for a start there's no way you could reasonably describe the policy of anyone on the left as a modernised form of the 1970s

If you read Hansard for the debate on the Employment Relations Act amendment, quite a few National MPs believe the policies of the left are actually a modernised form of the 1870s.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

focal ischemia posted:

"a modernised form of the 1970s" is his way of describing the left's goal of resetting the betrayal of the fourth Labour government Back to the Future style.

In practice of course, including 9 years under Helen, it's been full steam ahead on the neo-liberal express for nearly 30 years. We are never going back.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

But we can't keep going forward. Our current economy is unsustainable, our superannuation bill is gonna double over next decades. We're on track for 4° warming, and might just hit our stretch goal of 6°: can't farm cows on a planet that does not support any mammalian life.

Neoliberalism in NZ has been a going out of business sale - the rich strip our assets, borrow against the future and then time it right to gently caress off before the decades of can-kicking stops.

I still figure Key is good for 5 terms. This guy is good.

Edit/

Leadership opinions please: should Cunliffe stay? Would Shearer or Robertson do better?
My thinks is that Robertson might be the best raw talent of the 3, but the leader is the least of Labour's problems right now

dusty fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 22, 2014

Halfpast_Yellow
Oct 7, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

No, National's leadership today being defined by Brash's speech was not my point, nor am I contending that. My point was that National saw an increase of 20% in the polls as a result of the most racially divisive speech we've seen as a country in many years, and they retained that share of the vote to propel them to victory in 2008. The success of National gaining and retaining that share of the vote on the back of Brash's speech does not strike me as an example of swing voters in NZ being 'fundamentally moderate', as Mapp claims they are.

It's interesting though because if we take that conclusion, both ACT and Cons tried Orewa style politics this election, and combined less than 5% of the vote. Why can't what effected a 20% poll swing back then not get a party over the 5% threshold mark now? Have swing voters moved from being fundamentally driven by racism?

Racism exists in NZ but it's a pretty interesting question to ask whether less than %5, 10%, 20% or more of the country are effected by race based policy as a primary vote driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dusty posted:

Leadership opinions please: should Cunliffe stay? Would Shearer or Robertson do better?
My thinks is that Robertson might be the best raw talent of the 3, but the leader is the least of Labour's problems right now

Cunliffe has been disappointing with some problems of his making and others not. Out of the three though, I'd agree that Robertson is probably the most talented and most likely to be able to bring caucus in line and be an option the membership will be happy with.

The important thing is for the Mallards, Goffs and Kings to be phased out, but as has been stated already, triggering a by-election isn't really an option for Labour. The best way about it would be to shoulder-tap them one by one and shuffle them out.

• Locked thread