Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, for those who are unaware, the words "kuma" and "tora" are Japanese for "bear" and "tiger," respectively.

So we just recruited Princess Beartiger. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yaaay Kumatora! She is the best :toot:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's one of the variants that I like more; it sounds like the musicians keep loving up and having to slow down to find their note.

I think the tempo change parts sound rather deliberate.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Two things here:

1) Is there any way I can ask you to cut down on talking to the townspeople? I get that you want to show off how dynamic the town is and how it changes between plot points, but this is getting a little bit redundant. Very very rarely do they offer anything to the plot or expand on gameplay or anything. Takes up a fair chunk of time.

2) Princess BearTiger is the coolest name on the planet.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

SonicRulez posted:

1) Is there any way I can ask you to cut down on talking to the townspeople? I get that you want to show off how dynamic the town is and how it changes between plot points, but this is getting a little bit redundant. Very very rarely do they offer anything to the plot or expand on gameplay or anything. Takes up a fair chunk of time.

I had no clue the character's dialogue changed so much in this game and I personally am glad that it's being shown off.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Yeah I beat this game twice and had no idea. It's so charming I can hardly stand it. (I can stand it keep going)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've liked the town dialogue too. On my playthroughs, even though I do like to see what people have to say, I don't always keep it up after every single little event, so I've missed cool bits of it here and there. Like the lady who says "good evening" just by default cause she's talking to Wess and Duster, that was cute. :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I honestly like the town dialogue too. I knew the game was filled to the brim with details, but I didn't even know about most of these lines the NPCs had. If you have to, maybe put those in a separate section?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Cutting down on the dialogue would make more sense if this were a video LP. Then Mega could put them into a separate bonus video. Here in a screenshot play, it works just fine, because you don't have to wait for the text to load and scroll. Seriously, what's your actual complaint here? :confused:

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Don't stop the dialogue. Mother games ooze with such charm, and are made with such great care, that it's basically wrong NOT to include it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SorataYuy posted:

Cutting down on the dialogue would make more sense if this were a video LP. Then Mega could put them into a separate bonus video. Here in a screenshot play, it works just fine, because you don't have to wait for the text to load and scroll. Seriously, what's your actual complaint here? :confused:

It's just kinda dull scrolling through inane NPC dialogue. The idea that the series adds little touches is actually really cool, but that effect has worn off. Now that I understand that that's the way things work from now on, it isn't quite as special to me. It's not the worst thing on Earth, it just isn't particularly interesting to me.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I played this game right after my mom actually died. It's a really good game.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Would it be reasonable to just section off the NPC chatter? I agree with both parties, here -- sometimes, I just want to read the meat of an update, but there is definitely a charm in seeing the lines change with every little advance of the plot. Doesn't have to involve reorganization of the updates or anything, just have an easily visible note of where the "fluff" begins and ends for people that want to scroll past it?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Honestly, I don't read most of the dialogue from the townspeople because I've already played the game before, but I just skim past it. I don't really see the need to cut it out (which means the people who want to see it won't be able to) or to section it off. Seems kinda pointless.

I really love this game though. It was an amazing experience the first time through. I should probably take some time to play through a second time.

E: Also, to be honest, I think the biggest charm that all three games have is the dialogue of the random NPCs. Not keeping in one of the biggest selling points of the game would be weird.

Funktastic fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 21, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

xedo posted:

Wess's dance is just absolutely wonderful. :allears:

Yes.

Is Kumatora bleeding from the mouth?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Xander77 posted:

Yes.

Is Kumatora bleeding from the mouth?

Better hope not; bleeding from the mouth is one of the Anime Signs of Impending Death.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, for those who are unaware, the words "kuma" and "tora" are Japanese for "bear" and "tiger," respectively.

So we just recruited Princess Beartiger. :black101:

:black101: and :japan: all rolled into one.

I really dislike the pigmasks, so I'm glad we're finally able to crack some skulls!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

a cat on an apple posted:

Would it be reasonable to just section off the NPC chatter? I agree with both parties, here -- sometimes, I just want to read the meat of an update, but there is definitely a charm in seeing the lines change with every little advance of the plot. Doesn't have to involve reorganization of the updates or anything, just have an easily visible note of where the "fluff" begins and ends for people that want to scroll past it?

That seems perfectly reasonable. I could make a couple banners that say "NPC dialogue here" or something so people who don't want to read it can scroll past it until they get to the second banner.

I was a bit worried about the NPC dialogue taking over huge chunks of updates, but felt there's enough interesting stuff to keep it all in, and I didn't really want to section it off in its own updates since it'd kinda mess with the flow of the updates a bit. Having banners in the updates sectioning them off sounds like the best compromise, and I'll probably post some stuff in a bit to see if they're good enough to be noticed while scrolling, since I'd need an end banner that stands out. Once I've got good banners, I'll start editing them into the updates.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How's this look to you guys?

blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Take my wife. Please!

Being used only for "generic" town dialogue of course, not for actual story stuff. Big enough to be eyecatching through casual scrolling?

e: I'd keep screenshots in for the dialogue, of course.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Maybe a little too big. It's eye catching, but maybe they could be a bit smaller?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Just one man's opinion here, but the only thing I don't like is the full screenshots for multiple conversation NPCs in one scene. If you use the smaller icons and type out the dialog instead, that would cut down on the space they take up in each update.

Oh God why are we nitpicking Mega's LPs they're amazing :ohdear:

I'm glad you're keeping all the dialog though, some of it is pure :3:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

xedo posted:

Wess's dance is just absolutely wonderful. :allears:

I especially love that Duster turns to watch as soon as he can, and covers for himself when Wess starts turning in place.

Truly, these are the best of thieves.

And just think, Kumatora had to do the same dance.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sydin posted:

He also apparently had a hell of a time translating her overly masculine speech patterns.

I can tell. It reminds me of those games where someone translates a "hick" accent as this nasty mush-mouthed phonetic parody of southern U.S. english and makes me think there are localizers who need to spend more time reading things that aren't video games. Her characterization as The Princess Bro is still really endearing though, I can't hate it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I believe he said on the translation blog that he debating on whether to keep the swears in or not to be more accurate to a Nintendo localization, but decided to keep them in since it was just a fan translation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr. Fetus posted:

I believe he said on the translation blog that he debating on whether to keep the swears in or not to be more accurate to a Nintendo localization, but decided to keep them in since it was just a fan translation.

But really there's nothing out of place.
It fits Kumatora quite well.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
There's a video where a guy did a ROMhack and replaced Wess's character model with other ones from the game, just to see which animation they landed on. All the results were pretty drat hilarious. I'd post a link to it, but it gives away a fair few :siren:spoilers:siren: for characters and contextual situations we haven't seen yet. Perhaps once we've got past the point in the game with all the animations shown from the video.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Oh, and definitely keep telling me if I mess up any of the songs, as I can't tell the difference between many of the similar-sounding battle themes. Most of them involve me just making my best guess based on listening on the first few seconds of each track.
You've missed two or three of them. I don't know if you posted More Dangerous Guys (Stinky Ghost's theme) but here it is anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_njpif0yw

I know that you haven't posted More Troublesome Guys, which plays when you face the Balding Eagle. Can't blame you for missing it, though, since they're weak defensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDy8Zlqelnk

Same with More Mischievous Blues, which is a weird one because it's actually an easier battle rhythm than the original Mischievous Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2YDbV8xQSA

As for the update- gently caress yeah Kumatora. There's actually a cool thing that happens in-game that happens if you give her a certain name, but we'll get to that when we get there.

Keep the character dialog, too, but just use their sprite instead of the screenshots.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DialTheDude posted:

There's a video where a guy did a ROMhack and replaced Wess's character model with other ones from the game, just to see which animation they landed on. All the results were pretty drat hilarious. I'd post a link to it, but it gives away a fair few :siren:spoilers:siren: for characters and contextual situations we haven't seen yet. Perhaps once we've got past the point in the game with all the animations shown from the video.

Mind PMing me the link?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think gifs adequately demonstrate the beauty of this majestic dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUJ7K6ePYx0

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

It's just kinda dull scrolling through inane NPC dialogue. The idea that the series adds little touches is actually really cool, but that effect has worn off. Now that I understand that that's the way things work from now on, it isn't quite as special to me. It's not the worst thing on Earth, it just isn't particularly interesting to me.

I agree with this sentiment. I find myself skimming past loads of screenshots despite fearing that I'll miss something really interesting. :( Especially last update where we saw the joke Wess up like sixty times. It was funny the first time.

Funktastic posted:

Honestly, I don't read most of the dialogue from the townspeople because I've already played the game before, but I just skim past it. I don't really see the need to cut it out (which means the people who want to see it won't be able to) or to section it off. Seems kinda pointless.

Mega64 posted:

How's this look to you guys?

blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Take my wife. Please!

Being used only for "generic" town dialogue of course, not for actual story stuff. Big enough to be eyecatching through casual scrolling?

e: I'd keep screenshots in for the dialogue, of course.
Shrink it down just a little bit, but otherwise I would appreciate it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^^

The size of the timg actually works quite well, I feel. As for the dialogue, I enjoy it the way you've been doing it, but I got told off for roughly the same thing in my own LP, haha. The section thing seems like a nice compromise, because I'd rather not lose it. Changing the banner to the size of the timg seems clear enough, and won't really get in the way of reading it either.

Also, Wess is great. I love the dance, and throwing the item in the last update was awesome too. He's really fun to watch.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
jRPGs love their spunky tomboy princesses, but Mother takes it to a whole other level. She's more macho than anybody in this game not named Flint, and I don't see HIM contemplating mutilation because a foot is slowing him down. Long live the Queen princess Beartiger!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So shrink the banners, got it. I still prefer having introductory screenshots for each different character, but if there's enough demand I'll just do sprites only for the fluff parts starting in the next chapter (since there's only a little NPC stuff in the next update).

Hopefully I'll start getting out updates a bit more quickly now that I've settled into my new place, my work schedule's stabilized, and my social life's not as hectic. I almost miss the days when I could pump out updates daily (though I also didn't have to juggle hundreds of character portraits and songs in those earlier LP's, that consumes more time than you'd think).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Rogue Lemon posted:

She's more macho than anybody in this game not named Flint, and I don't see HIM contemplating mutilation because a foot is slowing him down. Long live the Queen princess Beartiger!

She has another foot. She doesn't need both of them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Hoss Corncave posted:

She has another foot. She doesn't need both of them.

That said, there's no reason to lose one when there is a perfectly good thief around who can save them both.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Neruz posted:

That said, there's no reason to lose one when there is a perfectly good thief around who can save them both.

Yeah, he can staple them back to her leg. :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, he can staple them back to her leg. :v:

That's crazy talk. They're wall staples, not leg staples.

Now if you wanted it stapled to the wall, we're in business.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Prism posted:

That's crazy talk. They're wall staples, not leg staples.

Now if you wanted it stapled to the wall, we're in business.
She could simply carry a bit of a wall on her leg for the staples to hold.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SelenicMartian posted:

She could simply carry a bit of a wall on her leg for the staples to hold.

Staple splint, put pieces of leg together, put piece of wall behind, a staple on both pieces, and you will be just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Staple splint, put pieces of leg together, put piece of wall behind, a staple on both pieces, and you will be just fine!

This man sounds like a doctor.

• Locked thread