Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

ter-ror-ism

[ter-uh-riz-uh m]

noun

1. The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

2. The state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

3. A terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Hmmmmmmm...
Terrorism is notoriously hard to define and there's no consensus definition. Your definition #3 is pretty terrible for including the word in its own definition. And I think it's pretty dumb to define terrorism without including the fact that it's conducted by non-state actors. If you want to argue that state terrorism is a thing, that's a different discussion.

freebooter posted:

Going back to the ASIO kill powers thing for a second - have they now also been licensed to carry weapons? Because they couldn't before, which makes me wonder exactly how they are supposed to kill a terrorist in a ticking time bomb scenario. Run them down with a car? Krav Maga? King-hit them?

You can be absolutely guaranteed that anyone who formulated this policy, in the back of their head, no matter how senior an analyst they are or how many actual policy papers they've read, is thinking about Jack Bauer.
The thing is, we've never had a ticking time bomb scenario. It exists solely in the imagination of scriptwriters and authoritarian jackasses. If you ever wanted further proof of how screwed America is, one of the Supreme Court Justices referenced Jack Bauer in why torture is sometimes necessary, and the US Army had to ask the show's writers to tone down the torturing because it was influencing recruits.

The only times I can think of anything close to the ticking bomb scenario actually happening are in places like Afghanistan and Iraq, where suicide bombers have been tackled to the ground by extremely brave police officers or, in one case, a schoolkid - who are then killed in the explosion but the injuries to others are greatly reduced. If someone has a bomb, you're not going to be able to stop them setting it off if they know you are armed, nearby and going to shoot them. Unless they give every ASIO officer a sniper rifle, it's not going to be much good.

And that's beside the point because literally any member of the population - or an ASIO agent - would be allowed to shoot a terrorist under that scenario because they'd be saving lives. No court would convict. This way it's just extra dodgy because it's not in the hands of the courts at all.

Mr Chips posted:

^^^ Wasn't that just the regular metropolitan police armed unit that did it, not MI5? ASIO shouldn't be first on the scene in that sort of situation.
But what if ASIO officers are involved in a thrilling car chase through the streets of Sydney during a G20 meeting, which turns into a thrilling boat chase on Sydney Harbour, and then manages to jump onto the terrorist boat and fight the terrorists and set them on course for Fort Denison and then jump off, leaving the terrorists to slam into the fort and explode and our hero to swim back to safety? Do you want him or her charged with murder as well as damage to a heritage-listed building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:siren: Community announcment! :siren:

I heard a couple of stories today about 08 number social engineering scams you may want to watch out for. They've been doing it for some time and being careful to target people on the do not call register, or in a specific suburb. This is anecdotal but I trust the source and there is something you can do if this happens to you.

The first scam is to try and get details about peoples computers. The spiel is "your computer has a fault give us details etc". They will repeatedly ring and get abusive. My source's parents were harassed for 5 weeks with calls a dozen times a day. They threatened to change providers from A Telco Which Will Not Be Named, and contacted the Telecommunications Ombudsman. But then they met other local couples who had also been targeted and discovered that the simple way to make it all stop is to demand to speak to their manager. So they did. Within half an hour a representative from ATWWNBN hastened to assure them that the Ombudsman had been in contact and the 08 number would be "blocked".

A number of things about this story smelt really bad to me. If asking for a manager really has that effect it sounds like someone from a telco is making cash on the side for Bad Guys: they didn't care that they weren't getting details, just enjoying the harassment, so someone else was paying them. And calling someone on the Do Not Call Register also points to someone having access, which no one outside telcos can have (in order to avoid calling them of course). Another detail was that the victims were actually told they were being called during "downtime" which sounds suspiciously like a call centre term. The source told me they had recently put themselves on the do not call register and were getting similar calls now, but they know what to do! Demand to get a manager, and they should go away.

Scam 2: Another 08 number is calling people either on the dole or getting benefits (they are asking leading questions to be sure) on Fridays and the weekend, and claiming they are in line for a one-off payment of $1500 and they need to get details before they can receive it. If the person called refuses, they are threatened with being cut off. My source tells me they know of at least 8 local people contacted this way in the last week. Now this is simple, ignore them. Centrelink are never going to ring people on the weekend, nor threaten to cut people off. Much easier to cut people off and wait for them to contact THEM. So if this happens to you, tell the caller to get hosed, and report it to Centrelink!

Hope neither happens to anyone, never give important details to someone who calls you without a good reason!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

In what world does a person going "They hate us for our freedom, so we are getting rid of freedom" not sound like blatant surrender?

How can no one be calling this out? I have a very low opinion of people and even I can't believe people are that loving stupid.

Muslims just hate us for our negative gearing and mining subsidies.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
That first one is an oldie, and isn't very sophisticated - Typically these days the callers claim to be from Telstra and can get really aggressive and making bogus legal threats because the call recipient's so called virus infected computer is damaging Telstra's infrastructure. Their end goal is to get the call recipient to give the caller remote access to their computer where they'll scrape what ever data they can while under the guise of fixing the virus - then they'll demand payment for fixing the bogus fault, and if they don't get a CC number they'll gently caress with Windows so it requires a password on start up. Most of the victims I've dealt with are the ones who can least afford to be hosed over this way, but then the perpetrators are operating out of a call centre in India scraping a living off lovely call centre wages so death to whitey I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my father in law gets that "Telstra" call every day like clockwork at 6pm.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Yeah my father in law gets that "Telstra" call every day like clockwork at 6pm.

Same, but I haven't had it in a while. I used to get them from Telstra or from the Technical Dept of Windows.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My FIL was getting those calls about a year or so ago. It persisted for a few months but we're not sure how it was resolved except that he finally got abusive back at them.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If you've got a mancrush on Scott Ludlam and like seeing Liberals getting called out on their poo poo repeatedly this Qanda was really good. I was a little bit worried about the whole "Only a Liberal government can keep interest rates low balance the budget save you from brown people" thing so this ep was very cathartic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So I had a job interview at a Japanese Restaurant and one of the pre-requisites is to be able to speak Japanese. I lied, I don't speak Japanese.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

What's the alleged corrupt behaviour? It's not mentioned in the article.

Missed this, sorry. They're keeping it really close to their chest - even the Deans are being kept completely out of it (we suspect because a couple of them are involved as well). Best as we can tell, it's a mixture of cronyism and abuse of organisation credit cards.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

So I had a job interview at a Japanese Restaurant and one of the pre-requisites is to be able to speak Japanese. I lied, I don't speak Japanese.

:popcorn: :munch: this will end well.

Can't even get a schadenfreude emote right Mr Speaker.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 22, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Language prerequisites are kinda bullshit. Just let me serve the food. It's hospitality, not the UN.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol. That's the spirit. Apply for that dentist position while you're at it.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
You're faking a language but won't just lie and put down 10+ years experience in the industry or whatever?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Robodog posted:

You're faking a language but won't just lie and put down 10+ years experience in the industry or whatever?

Anidav arrives for his job interview

He grins sheepishly "nǐ hǎo"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EeFa8QOq_Y

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If you say "sou desu ne" a lot, that'll fake you through about half of it. If you're lucky, "irasshaimase" when the customers come in will be the other half of it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Here's a quick primer Anidav:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XNaCgKeNLU

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 22, 2014

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

phone scam stuff.
Been getting this crap for a year or more now. They generally hang up on me pretty quickly.

I've gotten two you haven't mentioned there. "The Visa and Mastercard Security Department" which I regret to inform you I did not explore because it screamed scam and I asked them if they enjoyed working in organized crime, at which point they hung up on me.

The other one was recently claiming to be from "Telstra Bigpond" asking me about my "Bigpond account". I am with a different ISP. Needless to say, they hung up on me again. They get really touchy when you ask them the pointed questions like "How much does your job earn you?" and "Does being a criminal come with workplace benefits?".

Thus far my experiments have shown that they will hang up on me and not call me back that day if:

I mention the fact that they are criminals (Only failed once).
I pretend to not know who I am in response to them asking for me (with intense overacting).
I attempt to serenade them.
I engage in Grandpa Simpson inspired rambling.
I speak in a high pitched voice.
I refuse to talk about anything but kittencams.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

Thus far my experiments have shown that they will hang up on me and not call me back that day if:

I mention the fact that they are criminals (Only failed once).
I pretend to not know who I am in response to them asking for me (with intense overacting).
I attempt to serenade them.
I engage in Grandpa Simpson inspired rambling.
I speak in a high pitched voice.
I refuse to talk about anything but kittencams.

These are all excellent ideas, I'll pass them on!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Contra Duck posted:

Come now, in troubled times such as these we shouldn't be worried about petty partisan bickering, we need to band together and stand in unity with our brave leaders and brave diggers :australia:

So, remember how Abbott was going to strip the orphans of soldiers who died fighting in the Middle East of their benefits?

Yeah, he's still going ahead with that.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, remember how Abbott was going to strip the orphans of soldiers who died fighting in the Middle East of their benefits?

Yeah, he's still going ahead with that.

Jesus. Got a link?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anything that reduces blind nationalist zeal amongst Troops and Troop Families is fine by me

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Anything that reduces blind nationalist zeal amongst Troops and Troop Families is fine by me

You are a fuckhead.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 22, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This is a really dumb thing to say. You are punishing children for decisions made by their parents.

Why are you always drive by shitposting your crap opinions in threads I like?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got one of those scam callers once. I just booted to an XP VM and image searched a bunch of huge black dicks and then wrestled the remote user for control of the mouse while screaming "do you like these bad boys?" into the phone.

He did not like the bad boys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Abbott bounces in polls after raids
Tony Abbott on terror
New poll shows the prime minister's net satisfaction score is up eight points in the wake of counter-terrorism raids

Hahah Australians are idiots... wait. poo poo.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Kill yourself. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cheers, a war vet's orphaned kid.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 23, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Given that News indicates a bump and Morgan a slump I for one am shocked that only Newspoll is being reported :monocle:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

The interview wasn't in Japanese?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah Australians are idiots... wait. poo poo.

:negative:

Australia... nooooooo.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Hey guys remember how IS is a death cult that wants to murder Australians?

"The Guardian posted:

It’s worth noting a contribution last night from the Labor MP Melissa Parke. Parke said two things – she’d had a death threat since speaking out against military engagement in Iraq; and she was still opposed to a military escalation in Iraq.

quote:

Last week on Twitter a person called for my execution for treason because I had questioned the government’s rapid escalation of our new involvement in Iraq from a purely humanitarian mission to one where we appear to be joining the US in an open-ended fight against IS.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gough Suppressant posted:

Given that News indicates a bump and Morgan a slump I for one am shocked that only Newspoll is being reported :monocle:

In reality of course, both indicate no change (at least on 2PP voting intention)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

phone posting, sorry if all the formatting is out
-----------
Morgan Poll Update

Abbott’s decision to ‘send in the troops’ fails to secure poll bounce: Young Australians comprehensively reject the Abbot Government

In mid-September ALP support rose to 54.5% (up 0.5%) increasing their lead over the L-NP 45.5% (down 0.5%) on a two-party preferred basis. If an election had been held the ALP would have won easily according to this week’s Morgan Poll on voting intention conducted with an Australia-wide cross-section of 2,922 Australian electors aged 18+ over the last two weekends.

Primary support for the ALP rose to 37.5% (up 0.5% over the past fortnight) whilst L-NP primary support was up 0.5% to 38.5%. Support for the other parties shows The Greens rose to 12% (up 1.5%), the Palmer United Party (PUP) 4.0% (down 0.5%) while Independents/ Others fell 2% to 8%.

Support for PUP is highest in the three States that elected Palmer United Party Senators: Queensland (7%), Western Australia (5%) and Tasmania (4%). Support for PUP is lower in the rest of Australia: Victoria (3%), New South Wales (2.5%) and South Australia (2%).

Analysis by Gender

Analysis by Gender shows ALP support well ahead amongst women: 57% cf. L-NP 43% on a two-party preferred basis. However, men also support the ALP 51.5% cf. L-NP 48.5%.

Analysis by Age group

Analysis by Age group shows the ALP still with its strongest advantage among younger Australians. 18-24yr olds heavily favour the ALP (76.5%) cf. L-NP (23.5%); 25-34yr olds favour the ALP (62.5%) cf. L-NP (37.5%); 35-49yr olds favour the ALP (55.5%) cf. L-NP (44.5%); 50-64yr olds favour the ALP (53%) cf. L-NP (47%); only those aged 65+ still clearly favour the L-NP (60.5%) cf. ALP (39.5%).

Analysis by States

The ALP maintains a two-party preferred lead in all Australian States except Queensland. New South Wales: ALP 55% cf. L-NP 45%, Victoria: ALP 55% cf. L-NP 45%, Western Australia: ALP 56.5% cf. L-NP 43.5%, South Australia: ALP 56% cf. L-NP 44% and Tasmania: ALP 55.5% cf. L-NP 44.5%. Queensland is level pegging: L-NP 50% cf. ALP 50%.

Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating

The Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating has risen to 95.5pts this week (up 0.5pts over the past fortnight). Now 42.5% (down 0.5%) of Australians say Australia is ‘heading in the wrong direction and 38% (unchanged) say Australia is ‘heading in the right direction’.

The Morgan Poll surveys a larger sample (including people who only use a mobile phone) than any other public opinion poll.The Morgan Poll asks Minor Party supporters which way they will vote their preferences. *News Corp’s poll does not measure or reference the PUP vote!

The Morgan Poll allocated preferences based on how people say they will vote – allocating preferences by how electors voted at the last Federal Election, as used by News Corp’s poll*, show the ALP (53.5%) cf. L-NP (46.5 %) – for trends see the Morgan Poll historic data table.

Gary Morgan says:

“Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s decision to commit 600 Australian troops to Iraq has failed to boost the Government in today’s Morgan Poll. This is unusual as the Morgan Poll has shown on past occasions that external security threats usually favour the incumbent Government. This was the case in early 2003 in the run-up to Iraq War and also in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

“In addition, Prime Minister Abbott lifted the Australian terrorism alert to high for the first time ten days ago (September 12, 2014) just before this polling period began. However, in contrast to what the Morgan Poll has shown in the past the L-NP has received no ‘poll boost’ in the past fortnight with the ALP (54.5%, up 0.5%) increasing their two-party preferred lead over the L-NP (45.5%, down 0.5%).

“The small boost in support to the ALP comes despite a special snap SMS Morgan Poll last week showing a narrow majority of Australians (54%) approving of Abbott’s decision to send 600 Australian troops to Iraq against 46% that disapprove. Interestingly, the snap SMS Morgan Poll showed a majority of men and Australians aged 35+ approved of sending the troops whereas a majority of women and Australians aged 18-34 disapproved.

“Supporting the sentiment amongst younger Australians against sending Australian troops to Iraq is a strong swing to the ALP amongst 18-24yrolds in today’s Morgan Poll.Now a huge 76.5% (up 15.5%) of 18-24yr olds support the ALP cf. 23.5% (down 15.5%) support the L-NP on a two-party preferred basis.

“The extensive raids carried out last week against potential terrorists in Australia have had a strong impact on the electorate with a separate special snap SMS Morgan Poll last week showing a narrow majority of Australians (52.5%) support the death penalty being imposed for people convicted of a terrorist act in Australia that kills someone compared to 47.5% that are opposed. This is the first time a majority of Australians have favoured the death penalty being imposed for any crime since 1995 when 53% of Australians supported the death penalty for convicted murderers.”

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

T-1000 posted:

But what if ASIO officers are involved in a thrilling car chase through the streets of Sydney during a G20 meeting, which turns into a thrilling boat chase on Sydney Harbour, and then manages to jump onto the terrorist boat and fight the terrorists and set them on course for Fort Denison and then jump off, leaving the terrorists to slam into the fort and explode and our hero to swim back to safety? Do you want him or her charged with murder as well as damage to a heritage-listed building?
:golfclap:

Unwelcome calls.

1800 805 996 Is the direct Telstra number for dealing with this. Log the time and date of the call(s). They will trace the call and block the originator.

We are so far through the looking glass now. It's bad enough that the community will profile people and call the cops. To then have your face on the front page of the paper for...? Being completely innocent. Can't wait for Crytalnacht part II (Part one was Cronula you big silly).

In other horrid poo poo:

From the Heart of Darkness posted:

23 Sep 2014The Australian ADAM CREIGHTON ECONOMICS CORRESPONDENT

Cheaper services to flow from competition reform

GOVERNMENT health and education services would be exposed to greater competition, leading to cheaper goods and services throughout the economy, under proposed sweeping changes to the nation’s competition rules. A panel chaired by economist Ian Harper said its 52 interim recommendations, the basis for the next wave of competition reform, would boost productivity, lift economic output by more than 2.5 per cent and clarify excessively complicated laws. “Strengthening competition brings economic benefits, including choice and diversity, as well as lower overall prices,” the panel said. The 307-page interim report, released more than 20 years after the Hilmer review initiated a national competition policy, will prove controversial given proposals to deregulate retail trading hours, introduce road-user charging and force local and state governments to consider the competitive impact of land-zoning decisions. A final report to government is due next March.

Professor Harper said restrictions on pharmacy ownership, for example, served pharmacists rather than consumers. “GPs are allowed to locate anywhere with no restrictions on ownership and they are just as important as pharmacists,” Professor Harper said. “Upholding health and safety is done in the vital area of primary medicine using other regulations; that situation should apply also in pharmacy.” He suggested the existing rules hurt regional areas by making it more difficult for pharmacies to be established. While the Hilmer review extended competition law to government-owned business enterprises, the Harper review would extend such laws to government services as well. “Given the size and pervasiveness of government in the Australian economy, as funder, provider and regulator, there is a need to consider new ways to foster diversity, choice and responsiveness in government services,” the panel said. “Splitting the regulator from the provider can help to ensure that the regulator makes decisions in the best interests of consumers. This is particularly the case in the area of procurement: whether for the delivery of large infrastructure projects or the regular requirements of the health and education systems.”

The review of competition policy — to account for growing competition from Asia, the rise of the digital economy, and the ageing of the population — advocated changes to the Competition and Consumer Act that would give large firms more freedom to compete, even to the detriment of smaller competitors, provided their actions served the long-term public good. “The panel recognises that a business might be deterred from undertaking a business strategy that enhances its competitiveness and creates durable consumer benefit for fear that, if the strategy is successful, it might be assessed as having the effect of substantially lessening competition,” the panel said. “All prohibitions should focus on protecting competition and not individual competitors … that gives all firms, big and small, an opportunity to compete on merit.”

It argued that existing prohibitions of predatory pricing and price-signalling rules had curbed potential collusive behaviour by large banks in setting market interest rates. The panel said attempts by large supermarket chains to restrict supply, directly or indirectly, to other smaller chains would fall foul of the proposed test of market abuse. The recommendations should reassure business groups following Australian Competition & Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims’ recent call for a new “effects test” that could expose large firms to penalties if they make decisions that harm smaller competitors. Professor Harper said the panel had recommended the definition of competition in the act be changed so it specifically recognised the benefits of potential imports as well as actual imports in determining the competitive status of a market. The report said limits on trading hours, which were most restrictive in Western Australia, South Australia and Queensland, should be limited to Christmas Day, Good Friday and the morning of Anzac Day.

If state governments insisted on maintaining artificial limits on taxi numbers these should be set by independent regulators. The panel suggested that zoning restrictions had harmed supermarket giant Aldi’s ability to compete with Coles and Woolworths. It recommended establishing an Australian Council for Competition Policy that would be funded and controlled by federal and state governments with the power to inquire into the competitive state of any industry while advocating and overseeing procompetition reforms.

Well that was certainly persuasive especially as it will impact on the higher education sector and deregulation:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/uwa-to-hike-fees-30-per-cent-if-deregulation-gets-green-light/5762240

quote:

UWA to hike fees 30 per cent if deregulation gets green light

Updated 17 minutes ago Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:11am

It is the first tertiary institution in Australia to reveal its fee structure under deregulation. The university said it would charge a flat fee of $16,000 a year for full-time domestic students enrolled in one of the institute's five undergraduate courses from 2016. That is at least 30 per cent more than current charges. Students studying medicine are facing fees of more than $100,000 for their full degree.

Budget measures for Higher Education

Reduce repayment threshold for HELP (Higher Education Loan Program) debts from an annual wage of $51,309 to $50,638 from July 1 2016; increase interest rates on the loans to the Government bond rate which is capped at 6 per cent. These two measures will save $3.2 billion over four years from 2014-15. Deregulate fees to allow universities, TAFEs and colleges to charge market-driven rates for courses. This will save $1.1 billion over three years from 2015-16, representing a 20 per cut in federal government funding for course fees. Commonwealth scholarships for disadvantaged students will be funded by contributions from higher education providers, who will be required to contribute $1 out of every $5 raised through fee increases. Remove the 25 per cent loan fee on FEE-HELP loans, which are available for domestic fee-paying students whose places are not subsidised by the Government. Cut $173.7m funding over three years to the Research Training Scheme, allowing universities to charge doctoral students to cover the gap. But UWA said it still gave students the opportunity to obtain a three-year degree for less than $50,000.

In a submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Education and Employment, the university said it had decided to take the initiative to end widespread speculation about fees. Deputy vice-chancellor (Education) Professor Alec Cameron said the announcement aimed to provide clarity to students. "The university feels compelled to announce its fees proposal at the earliest opportunity to provide greater certainty to current and prospective students about its pricing plans in a deregulated market," Professor Cameron said. "However, this fee pricing strategy would need to be reconsidered should the Senate make amendments to the bill."

He said the fee scheme was justified because UWA graduates were highly employable. "UWA graduates consistently rank as the most employable in Western Australia, regardless of which course they study," he said. "In our view this justifies a common pricing approach." The Government plans to deregulate fees for higher education from 2016 and will also increase interest charges for student loans.

Muppet government. NOW WITH EXTRA ADDED TERROR!

Speaking of: Someone else is smelling BS.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/politics-with-paul-bongiorno/5762148

You'd have to listen to the audio. Long story short. It is established practice not to talk about security measures relating to politicians and protective security for operational reasons! The recent trumpeting of enhanced security measures flies directly in the face of thirty years of advice from PSCC and is unprecedented. I wonder why the sabers are being rattled against the shutters at parliament house so furiously?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Cartoon posted:

We are so far through the looking glass now. It's bad enough that the community will profile people and call the cops. To then have your face on the front page of the paper for...? Being completely innocent. Can't wait for Crytalnacht part II (Part one was Cronula you big silly).

Controversial but putting it out there anyway:

Anyone who runs around with beards like that is not a moderate Muslim and probably warrants some questioning if parked next to a nuclear reactor

Not saying that beard = terrorist, but I am saying that beard equals at the very least believing in a very conservative strain of Islam

And I don't trust anyone that takes any religion too seriously

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grauniad posted:

A sweeping suppression order will prevent reporting of controversial preventative detention orders used in last week’s counter-terrorism operations, indefinitely. A non-publication order preventing disclosure of any information about the use of the lock-up powers means details of the order will remain secret until a New South Wales supreme court judge rules otherwise. The judge’s ruling is so broad that a supreme court spokesman says even his name cannot be reported.

Tip off journalists about the raids to make sure they are there covering it - then issue a suppression order to cover up any reporting of abuse of process. Win-win!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If only all the members of The Beards would get arrested or questioned just for looking suspicious, that might be the only way to get through to Australia that we've gone too far.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Unwelcome calls.

1800 805 996 Is the direct Telstra number for dealing with this. Log the time and date of the call(s). They will trace the call and block the originator.

You missed the part where this didn't work. They made excuses like "it has to go on for three weeks", complete bullshit since I know for a fact that it's actually more than 3 calls in 2 days. Don't forget the little fact that they were illegally calling someone on the do not call register, that alone should have spurred immediate action. To reiterate: the calls didn't actually get blocked after contacting that number OR contacting the Ombudsman OR threatening to cancel their a/c. It only stopped after they demanded to speak to a manager. Within half an hour Telstra rang them and said "oh the Ombudsman contacted us we'll block that number".

Speaking of competition, the taxi industry's response to Uber is like buggy manufacturers demanding to be protected from trains.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

The SMH posted:

Three fans 'humiliated' by police treatment at Roosters-Cowboys match

Three football fans said they were "furious and humiliated" after being detained at a rugby league match for using their mobile telephones in a manner an onlooker deemed suspicious.
Dozens of people who claim they were unfairly swept up by authorities in the past few weeks are pursuing legal action, as the terrorism climate heats up in Australia.
Three men of Middle Eastern appearance were pointed out by a spectator at the Roosters-Cowboys game on Friday night because they were using their mobile phones in a way that did not match what was happening on the field, Fairfax Media understands.

They were removed by police in the 60th minute and questioned for about half an hour. The three men were so incensed they contacted lawyer Adam Houda, who will demand an apology or take civil action on the men's behalf.
"It was a humiliating experience," Mr Houda said. "They are angry; they're furious."
A police spokesman disputed the men's accounts, saying they were not arrested or detained. "No issues arose from discussions with police and they were allowed to return to their seats," he said.
Mr Houda said he was considering launching a class action on behalf of about two dozen people who had been detained at airports in the past month and questioned about links to terrorism. Some were removed from aircrafts as they were about to depart. Most had booked their travel months in advance and had lost their money, he said.
He has also been approached by seven people who were caught up in large-scale counterterrorism raids last week who want to pursue legal action against the police.
Mr Houda's claims followed a warning by the Australian National Imams Council that they were exploring options for legal action after the "extremely unprofessional" detention of a senior member of the council at Sydney airport on Thursday.
The imam was detained for two-and-a-half hours for a routine baggage search, causing him to miss his flight to Saudi Arabia for the Haj, a religious pilgrimage undertaken by about 2000 Australians each year. He was unable to book another flight.
The grand mufti Ibrahim Abu Mohammad said it was "totally unacceptable for any Australian citizen ... to be subjected to this seemingly random, yet profiled, manner causing severe stress and unwanted inconvenience".
Mr Houda said: "It's getting ridiculous. The last time the Muslim community were confronted with such a wave of bigotry and racism was under John Howard but this time it is way overboard."
From here.

So it looks like profiling is the new normal.

edit:

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

Controversial but putting it out there anyway:

Anyone who runs around with beards like that is not a moderate Muslim and probably warrants some questioning if parked next to a nuclear reactor

Not saying that beard = terrorist, but I am saying that beard equals at the very least believing in a very conservative strain of Islam

And I don't trust anyone that takes any religion too seriously
Is this just a copy-paste from a comments section somewhere or is it your opinion? I don't want to get annoyed unnecessarily.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread