Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

As far as the FTC thing it is only going to make matters worst for everybody concerned.

I think BFL needed just a little more time to get the product out the door to the buyers.

The FTC will only bring that to a holt, and in the end the Chinese win by knocking off one
of the few American competitor's.

Its a bad deal for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Well the FTC can read this: These people have done nothing but good to me, I am Very happy customer since 2013.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

In any case FTC's involvement is only hurting legit consumers! FTC get out of the way and let us start receiving the products we've ordered!!! You're only further hurting the consumer now!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Unfortunately the FTC is going after the visible problem but the wrong people. Butterfly labs have been offering refunds, they have shipped working product and they have made refunds (I know because I got mine a couple of weeks back). BFL may have their faults (indeed I warned them that I thought they might be courting trouble with the FTC a while back) however overall they are one of the more honest players in the the bitcoin world. By comparison to others for example AMT who have so far escaped with only class action suits being filed against them.

I think BFL would have sorted itself out in time, delivered product to those who were prepared to wait and refunds to the rest. Indeed I would go so far as to offer myself as a rebuttal witness or provide a sworn affidavit on their behalf. Yes their refund process is slow but no slower than the airlines (refunds take up to 30 days). Yes they have been consistently optimistic about delivery timescales. When I brought my singles I did not expect to wait nearly 10 months for them but fortunately in that time the value of bitcoins rose almost as fast as the difficulty meaning that I made money on my singles despite the enormous delay. I agree you can't make money on a butterfly (even at $1800) now and I asked for an received a refund. Technological delays are not the result of miscreants but of bad engineering management practices which should not result in the commercial death penalty.

FTC please return BFL to its owners, reach a consent agreement if you like, monitor them if you like. Please let BFL go so you can go after the real crooks.

alternately,

Powershift posted:

Lots of fraud. oodles of it. Even if the FTC threw a dart at the board and picked 5 instances, they would be able to nail them to a wall.

They bought a "news" website to erase articles about them not shipping.
They "shipped" a unit to a customer to win a bet. Except the unit wasn't actually finished, never actually left their office, and that "customer" was actually an employee/contractor.
They "shipped" a unit to a customer as an excuse to stop offering refunds.
They spent customer pre-order money on advertising for more pre-orders.
They denied refunds on un-delivered goods because pre-order money had been spent on personal stuff.
They ran pre-orders like a ponzi, only paying out refunds when money from new orders came in because pre-order money had been spent
Both generations, they claimed they were "taping out" in august, yet didn't see chips until march of the next year.
Both generations they advertised specs they couldn't meet.
Both generations they used form factors in their advertising well after it was known they couldn't build an item to that form factor.(see fig. 1, fig. 2)
They held dissenting customers orders hostage until they publically recanted criticism.
They denied using customer hardware for profit, even after it came out in sonny's probation hearing that they bought EMC explicity for that purpose.
They created fancy graphics to show how much better their equipment is than the competition, used inaccurate information on both sides. The green line is reality(see fig. 3)
They advertised with inacurate figures long after they knew they were inaccurate.
They spent as much as $20,000 per week advertising on 1 forum with pre-order money.
The company was originally incorporated with "chris vlesides" as president because of sonny's conviction and probation
They "upgraded" customers orders to 1th/s "cards" with the stipulation that acceptance of the upgreade meant you forfeit the opportunity for refund, and are still unable to deliver.
They attempted to change the pre-order terms 6 months into the scam by holding orders hostage.
They ignored any attempts by customers to contact them, including deleting their posts and threads from the company forum

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

fig. 3

fig. 4

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

overall they are one of the more honest players in the the bitcoin world.
Amazingly it probably is true that the company founded by the granny fiddling fraudster that ripped of most of its customers is more honest than the ones that just didn't ship anything, and the ponzis , and ...

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i can't wait for various news outlets to say the word buttcoin

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Abused spouses, but with bitcoin!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

powershift in the grey thread apparently just found inaba tampering with the bfl site to remove evidence

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3543334&perpage=40&pagenumber=1406#post435356335

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

oh and there's this

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
when the bfl customersmarks get some money back from BFL after the hearing, i bet a bunch just immediately toss their money into another miner scam or into buying bitcoins and they will inevitably lose their money again. that money was meant to be scammed away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

killhamster posted:

it either broke or BFL cut it off

jeff from BFL didn't seem too concerned, i guess since the comments on the "Big Sexy Mining Machine" post were all calling out the changes

no, Jeff removed comments on the site after the latest site downtime

fortunately they're all on discuq which he doesn't have access to and can be restored at any time :D

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
what ever happened to avalon? i vaguely remember there being lots of snide remarks from bitcoiners about how their chips weren't worth it because bfl will have their stuff shipped any day now

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Greyhawk posted:

oh and there's this

i wonder if these guys were just hired by bfl

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

powershift in the grey thread apparently just found inaba tampering with the bfl site to remove evidence

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3543334&perpage=40&pagenumber=1406#post435356335

ho lee poo poo.

this is wildly illegal right? he's literally begging to get hosed right now right?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Heresiarch posted:

They wouldn't be the ones to choose the receiver. Someone at the FTC picked a local receiver. Looking at the firm's website, business litigation seems to be their specialty, so it's not surprising they would have someone with experience in corporate receivership.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 25, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

appointed by a court at the request of the ftc, bfl wouldnt have known about it till the reciever showed up with marshals and a court order

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

those poor guys inbox is gonna get flooded with a bunch of incoherent reddit emails now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FCKGW posted:

those poor guys inbox is gonna get flooded with a bunch of incoherent reddit emails now

theres probably a paralegal monitoring that inbox and only anything relevant will get passed on to whoever the most junior guy there is or whoever ticked the reciever off most recently

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
man i'm dumb today, of course they were hired by the ftc to handle the receivership, durrrr

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just fired off an email to the FTC, let's see if I get a reponse :woop:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

man i'm dumb, durrrr
same

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
his name is elder postsman now actually

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

just fired off an email to the FTC, let's see if I get a reponse :woop:
lol

i hope it works but what grounds would you have for getting the site back anyway
"hey i'm the previous owner and i sold the site for money, most of which i've since spent, but because the current owner is persona non grata i was thinking maybe i could have the site back for free?"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"hey wouldn't it be funny if I got the site back? haha, too funny but do you think it would work?"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
just try to become a witness so you can say buttcoin multiple times in a courtroom

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hi FCKGW,

Thank you for reaching out to me. Would you have time to talk tomorrow? You can reach me at the number below or we can schedule a time to talk.

Helen Wong
Attorney
Federal Trade Commission
Bureau of Consumer Protection

hobbesmaster posted:

its a company asset, just ask them if they'll auction it or w/e

that's basically what I asked, yeah

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 25, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

"hey wouldn't it be funny if I got the site back? haha, too funny but do you think it would work?"

its a company asset, just ask them if they'll auction it or w/e

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

jony ive aces posted:

lol

i hope it works but what grounds would you have for getting the site back anyway
"hey i'm the previous owner and i sold the site for money, most of which i've since spent, but because the current owner is persona non grata i was thinking maybe i could have the site back for free?"

yeah fckgw, i love your work almost as much as i like how but i dont see on what grounds you have to claim fraud on the sale. i might be missing something but just because the new owner said he wants to keep things the same, doesn't mean he's legally obligated to or anything. he could have redirected buttcoin.org to woolongdevice.com for all he wanted, since he owns it and everything

now if you had a contract that spelt those terms out then of course thats a different story

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FCKGW posted:

Hi FCKGW,

Thank you for reaching out to me. Would you have time to talk tomorrow? You can reach me at the number below or we can schedule a time to talk.

Helen Wong
Attorney
Federal Trade Commission
Bureau of Consumer Protection
does this mean you're going to jail now?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Stay Safe Poverty Ghola

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

oh right cool

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

im watching the blacklist on netflix and this guy just converted money to bitcoin and i laughed

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm not literally asking for the site back, I just want to know what the plans are.

more than anything I want to see buttcoin in official court docs

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FCKGW posted:

more than anything I want to see buttcoin in official court docs

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

now that the us government has said buttcoin, i feel the question this thread set out to resolve has been answered.

someone has said buttcoin, so it's time to put this thing to bed. close thread, and maybe shut down the forums for a bit and lay low so we don't go to jail for aiding the buttcoin wing of the criminal Butterfly Labs empire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TVarmy posted:

now that the us government has said buttcoin, i feel the question this thread set out to resolve has been answered.

someone has said buttcoin, so it's time to put this thing to bed. close thread, and maybe shut down the forums for a bit and lay low so we don't go to jail for aiding the buttcoin wing of the criminal Butterfly Labs empire.

a court hasn't said buttcoin yet though so we should at least wait for that one

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

hello from the evidence room

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
has dorian nakamoto said buttcoin yet

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
has the SCOTUS said buttcoin yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
at the very least, buying through an alias with company funds while lying about your intention for buying and who you are could be indicative of fraudulent actions, especially after the post-sale edits to BFL articles to being endorsements. keeping the site the same except for that could, if not being fraudulent in itself, be part of the body of evidence that the FTC would want to show that fraudulent behavior is rampant in BFL.

• Locked thread