Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

GaussianCopula posted:

Apparently Josh changed his vote to Baylor last second during Tribal Council, which is very suprising to me. Might put him in hot water with Baylor.

Was this knowledge gained somewhere in particular by you? Can you elaborate on why you think this? I chalked it up entirely to the show deliberately not showing us why Josh and Baylor made their votes due to it possibly spoiling strategy for later in the game.

In any case I'd say Nadia's ejection was displayed to be based on her making assumptions and stereotyping so I'm glad she's out. Good to see Josh seems to be a smart guy and both didn't play the situation emotionally, and made the decision I agreed with (I'm talking about sticking with the more loyal seeming guys and getting Nadia out... not the apparently erroneous vote for Baylor). Still though, poor guy's eyes!! :aaaaa:

Speaking of spoiling, those "scenes from next... rest of the season" holy crap, did anyone else watch those? I don't know what to think, there were like 3 or 4 highly significant things hinted at. Whether they were bluffs or double bluffs is still a possibility but I venture to say this kind of "scenes from" is a first for this show. Got me excited though, some funny stuff was in there.

edit: Spelled Baylor's name wrong cause I'm not sure it's a name. Has anyone else heard of it? I first put Baynor but realized wait that can't be right... changed it to Balnor cause that's a dwarf name I made in WoW then was like wait that doesn't mean it's a real name.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm down to only one twinnie left :qq:

On the plus side, the cast seems a lot more interesting in practice than it did in theory. Already find myself liking Josh, Jon, Wes, Jeremy, Val, and Baylor. Not a whole lot of annoying folks yet, but John Rocker will surely implode at some point.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Danzel Glovington posted:

Was this knowledge gained somewhere in particular by you? Can you elaborate on why you think this? I chalked it up entirely to the show deliberately not showing us why Josh and Baylor made their votes due to it possibly spoiling strategy for later in the game.

In any case I'd say Nadia's ejection was displayed to be based on her making assumptions and stereotyping so I'm glad she's out. Good to see Josh seems to be a smart guy and both didn't play the situation emotionally, and made the decision I agreed with (I'm talking about sticking with the more loyal seeming guys and getting Nadia out... not the apparently erroneous vote for Baylor). Still though, poor guy's eyes!! :aaaaa:

Speaking of spoiling, those "scenes from next... rest of the season" holy crap, did anyone else watch those? I don't know what to think, there were like 3 or 4 highly significant things hinted at. Whether they were bluffs or double bluffs is still a possibility but I venture to say this kind of "scenes from" is a first for this show. Got me excited though, some funny stuff was in there.

edit: Spelled Baylor's name wrong cause I'm not sure it's a name. Has anyone else heard of it? I first put Baynor but realized wait that can't be right... changed it to Balnor cause that's a dwarf name I made in WoW then was like wait that doesn't mean it's a real name.

EW has an interview with Jeff directly after the Tribal, in which Dalton Ross tells Jeff that Josh said it in his 1 sentence when he wrote the name down.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

I kept thinking of the Sept of Baelor from Game of Thrones. v:shobon:v

As someone who's never watched AR except an episode here or there, I didn't hate the twinnies right off the bat and was even fine with them until Nadiya started stereotyping Josh like a dipshit. I could not stop laughing at Dale breaking his loving glasses though. I'm really liking Keith so far because calling Rocker an rear end is always cool in my book. I suspect he will go far. His son seems like a dumbass, though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

DaisyDanger posted:

I kept thinking of the Sept of Baelor from Game of Thrones. v:shobon:v

As someone who's never watched AR except an episode here or there, I didn't hate the twinnies right off the bat and was even fine with them until Nadiya started stereotyping Josh like a dipshit. I could not stop laughing at Dale breaking his loving glasses though. I'm really liking Keith so far because calling Rocker an rear end is always cool in my book. I suspect he will go far. His son seems like a dumbass, though.

On the podcast, Rob and Nicole were speculating that for each pair, there was one actual applicant and one recruit. It'll be interesting to see if that follows from the way they all play.

My old dude ponies are both being awesome so far, so I'm satisfied.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah I wish I hadn't watched the preview scenes since there are a lot of fully-bearded men in them spoiling who lasts long.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really like Keith. I know he wont win but drat if I don't think he seems like a good dude. If I had to take a stab at someone who actually is going to win, I would either say Jon Misch or Jeremy Collins

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If Josh really changed at the last minute, he's a loving moron because had Baylor not bailed him out, he would've put the biggest loving target on himself when the vote ended up tied.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

On the podcast, Rob and Nicole were speculating that for each pair, there was one actual applicant and one recruit. It'll be interesting to see if that follows from the way they all play.

My old dude ponies are both being awesome so far, so I'm satisfied.

I think I remember reading something similar for the first BvW. Something like Aras wanted to bring his girlfriend/wife, but the producers thought his brother would be a better fit. I might be imagining this.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

If Josh really changed at the last minute, he's a loving moron because had Baylor not bailed him out, he would've put the biggest loving target on himself when the vote ended up tied.
Maybe he changed at the last minute already knowing what Baylor was doing.

Scene we saw: She told him she wanted to do what he was doing
Scene we didn't see speculation: He told her he was voting out Nadiya

So she votes along with him, although he then changes his vote at the last second. Possibly despite Nadiya's totally weird gay "girlfriend" stuff he still felt guilty betraying her when she obviously thought they were friends, so instead of voting for the person leaving the game he votes for his friend that's staying in the game. Or perhaps he wanted to cover up that he had an ally with the women, so now there's still the proper number of votes for Nadiya.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Almost everyone seemed utterly boring from the initial cast list, but I agree having watched an episode that this actually seems like a good cast.

I'm hoping Jeremy goes far.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It still seems weird to me because people are likely to talk about what happened at tribal, especially with the single odd vote.

So John, Dale, Wes and the other guy (not Josh) are going to say 'I voted for Nadiya for <insert reason here>.' Val and the other woman are going to say 'I voted for Dale because he is old.' And then since it was Nadiya's idea they will assume that she didn't go off script and vote for Baylor. That just leaves Josh and Baylor and since Baylor can't vote for herself, it will be obvious that it was Josh.

None of the other guys have any reason to lie about their vote, so it seems like it would be hard to start a smear campaign about how one of them is a liar and out to get Baylor. Josh can't play the 'I wasn't in the loop' card with the women, so it's a clear betrayal by both Josh and Baylor.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I thought there might be some kind of legit strategy reason for Josh's Baylor vote that I couldn't think of when I was watching, but after reading this thread it just seems like he was overthinking and overplaying it. Wonder if Baylor will figure out it's him and will turn on him for it?

Nadya was pretty dumb. Even if she didn't realize that saying the whole "one of the girls" poo poo might offend Josh, there was really no reason for her to say it again at Tribal and let all the guys know who the betraying vote would be.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think Baylor has any reason to turn on Josh for the wonky vote, at least not in the short run. He can sell it as a way to hide the fact that they're tight - if it was clear that one woman had flipped, the other women would be mad at her and the men would be suspicious of how she knew who to vote for.

Even in the worst case scenario, "I was paranoid, I knew you weren't getting any votes, I wanted to be able to knowledgeably pick a side if I was actually the swing vote and I knew you wouldn't hold it against me" wouldn't make someone an immediate target in my eyes, especially if he's someone I've gotten close to in the first three days.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They could easily spin this is as Val voting for Baylor, especially since she's been all weird and dumb anyway.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

How tall is John Rocker? :stare: Maybe the rest of his team is just short. I was almost expecting him to just reach up and untie those bags at the challenge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

I don't think Baylor has any reason to turn on Josh for the wonky vote, at least not in the short run. He can sell it as a way to hide the fact that they're tight - if it was clear that one woman had flipped, the other women would be mad at her and the men would be suspicious of how she knew who to vote for.

Even in the worst case scenario, "I was paranoid, I knew you weren't getting any votes, I wanted to be able to knowledgeably pick a side if I was actually the swing vote and I knew you wouldn't hold it against me" wouldn't make someone an immediate target in my eyes, especially if he's someone I've gotten close to in the first three days.

But that's just it, Josh can't sell it as a way to hide that they are tight because Baylor can't vote for herself. I feel like it actually outs Josh/Baylor as a pair despite Josh actually voting for Baylor. I don't think Baylor turns on Josh because of the vote, but I think everyone else will feel like they can't trust Josh. The other guys were all voting for Nadiya and the girls (minus Baylor) were voting for Dale, but Josh didn't do either, so he isn't part of the team and that is going to put a target on his back.

Honestly, it would have been better if he had just voted for Nadiya and said 'Hey, I didn't like her weird stereotype of me being 'one of the girls' just because I'm gay.' But I guess that would be throwing Baylor under the bus.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
This seems like it's going to be a really fun cast! :)

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

hollylolly posted:

How tall is John Rocker? :stare: Maybe the rest of his team is just short. I was almost expecting him to just reach up and untie those bags at the challenge.
I liked the last section of the climb where he just stood with his back to ramp.

:v:: Need a little help?

:j:: Yes, thank you.

**Grabs the person and rockets them to the moon**

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

hollylolly posted:

If you go by the official CBS cast photo he's one of the shorter men playing this season:

Quite obviously 2 (or more?) photos patched together, it's always weird when professional production companies produce such glaringly shoddy and low-effort work. If Rocker's 6'5" the surfer dude bros are about 8 feet tall LOL.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xbilkis posted:

Did John say his last name is Wetteland? As in, John Wetteland, another professional baseball relief pitcher??

I think this was a pre-planned answer. If you can't quite remember him but know he's associated with MLB during that time period, this may actually help hide his identity.

He could have been an easy first boot and no one would have felt bad about it if he was outed before the first Tribal Council.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Rocker is listed at 6'4 which makes me think no other man out there is taller than 5 foot because he absolutely towers over everyone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

If you go by the official CBS cast photo he's one of the shorter men playing this season:

Quite obviously 2 (or more?) photos patched together, it's always weird when professional production companies produce such glaringly shoddy and low-effort work. If Rocker's 6'5" the surfer dude bros are about 8 feet tall LOL.

I think he's just the furthest person from the camera so he looks shorter.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Met posted:

I think this was a pre-planned answer. If you can't quite remember him but know he's associated with MLB during that time period, this may actually help hide his identity.

He could have been an easy first boot and no one would have felt bad about it if he was outed before the first Tribal Council.
I'm pretty sure he said Wesley, as in the 1700s preacher. I'd bet it wasn't a preplanned alias and it popped out.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Binary Logic posted:

It's looks like it's been photoshopped. Which makes sense if they had to remove the pair that got medically removed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think he's just the furthest person from the camera so he looks shorter.

Plus I don't think that ground is perfectly level and Rocker is on a slight downhill.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

that one guy posted:

I'm pretty sure he said Wesley, as in the 1700s preacher. I'd bet it wasn't a preplanned alias and it popped out.

He definitely said Wetteland, he even spelled it (incorrectly, IIRC), which was the second-funniest moment in the entire episode.

The funniest?

Wes: "What's your last name?"
Rocker: "Wetteland."
Wes: "...are you sure? :haw:?"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Poque posted:

He definitely said Wetteland, he even spelled it (incorrectly, IIRC), which was the second-funniest moment in the entire episode.

The funniest?

Wes: "What's your last name?"
Rocker: "Wetteland."
Wes: "...are you sure? :haw:?"

Yeah he spelled it "Wetland". Interesting strategy to impersonate a lesser known relief pitcher and then closer from approximately the same time frame.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

My favourite moment of the episode was the guy running at top speed on his hands and knees through the immunity challenge. I had to pause and go back cause I thought a howler monkey had snuck into the shot.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm guessing John Wetteland didn't go around saying a bunch of racist and homophobic bullshit. I know very little about MLB but even I remember John Rocker being an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Anyone have a gif of ^^^? I missed it somehow. :(

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Overdrift posted:

My favourite moment of the episode was the guy running at top speed on his hands and knees through the immunity challenge. I had to pause and go back cause I thought a howler monkey had snuck into the shot.
That looked like it was out of a horror movie.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
If John Rocker seriously went in planning to pretend to be an obscure pitcher instead of himself, I don't know whether to give him credit for planning ahead or to criticize him for being so stupid as to think he needs to pretend he's not John Rocker. I think people who know Rocker's reputation know what he looks like and won't be fooled by his ploy.

And yes, that guy running under the things in the immunity challenge was exactly like a horror movie.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Remember guys, John Rocker was the inspiration for Kenny Powers. Next you think, "man that was a stupid idea" just think of Danny McBride doing it as Powers and then it should all make a little more sense.

Hide yourself as another MLB pitcher? Yeah, sure, brilliant.

Watch this documentary about John Rocker and it should explain everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJKe0lmL2I

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DaisyDanger posted:

I'm guessing John Wetteland didn't go around saying a bunch of racist and homophobic bullshit. I know very little about MLB but even I remember John Rocker being an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Anyone have a gif of ^^^? I missed it somehow. :(

No gif, but here's a video. It's terrifying.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Haha, that's incredible. I'm pretty sure it's Jon based on the clothes, too.

Edit:
Tada!

I think the gif is running faster than the video so it's extra creepy now.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Caught the first episode on PVR last night. I was impressed that they spent time with each of the teams individually in the beginning. That made a great first impression on me. Did the first Blood vs Water season begin that way as well? I didn't start watching it until post-merge when Colton was gone.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

that one guy posted:

If John Rocker seriously went in planning to pretend to be an obscure pitcher instead of himself, I don't know whether to give him credit for planning ahead or to criticize him for being so stupid as to think he needs to pretend he's not John Rocker. I think people who know Rocker's reputation know what he looks like and won't be fooled by his ploy.

And yes, that guy running under the things in the immunity challenge was exactly like a horror movie.

It's an even better plan than Gary Hogeboom pretending to be Gary Hawkins, a landscaper who went to the exact same college at the exact same time and was on the football team but definitely isn't Gary Hogeboom.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Huge Liability posted:

Caught the first episode on PVR last night. I was impressed that they spent time with each of the teams individually in the beginning. That made a great first impression on me. Did the first Blood vs Water season begin that way as well? I didn't start watching it until post-merge when Colton was gone.

Yes they had that in the first BvW. It's really important to allow the "normal" viewers (that dont watch the cast videos, read bios etc.) to see who is a pair.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Not really feeling this cast so far.

I hoped we'd see the Twinnies stick around a while being hyperaggressive and driving everyone nuts. It's a drat shame to see one go home so early. I sorta like Jeremy and Val even if they're making tons of obvious mistakes. Everyone else felt pretty bland and uninteresting.

Hopefully in the next couple episodes we see a couple interesting personalities emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The premiere was weirdly sterile. I feel like we didn't see any meaningful interactions within the tribes, just lots of solo stories and talking about their loved ones. We didn't even know about the gendered alliances until right before Tribal Council.

The cast is okay, they are a bit bland but seem pleasant enough. It's unclear if anyone has the brains or conviction to actually do anything strategically interesting though. In that sense, it reminds me a lot of the BB16 cast which is not a good thing at all.

Val is the only standout to me so far. I don't necessarily think she is playing well, but it takes guts to come into a tribe of strangers on Day 3 and organize an almost successful counter-alliance within hours and not even get any votes. I know there was a bit of luck involved, but it was the closest thing anyone did to *doing* something interesting the entire episode.

• Locked thread