Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It is when you restrict the number of residencies lol

I guess you could audit thru med school and be Dr. Nick working out of an alleyway with no license but you're not gonna pay off your student loans that way either

yeah but that's all artificial.

like debeers creating artificial scarcity of diamonds so they can rake in cash. there's no real reason the number of residencies have to be so limited or education has to be so expensive. it's not like it actually costs the university hundreds of thousands of dollars to add another person to the class.

TOILETLORD posted:

if you are too lazy to watch your money or put any work into keeping it you deserve to lose it.

happyhippy posted:

I agree.
It's funny watching americans go bankrupt needlessly.

haha I know right when people have some sort of injury or disease they are totally supposed to just shop around and look for The Best Deal - even though hospitals don't really tell you the fees upfront it's more like going to a mechanic and getting an 'estimate'

then they call in a consultation while you are gassed up and charge you an additional $100,000 because gently caress you.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Moridin920 posted:

haha I know right when people have some sort of injury or disease they are totally supposed to just shop around and look for The Best Deal - even though hospitals don't really tell you the fees upfront it's more like going to a mechanic and getting an 'estimate'

It's called a second opinion.

This isn't unheard of or bad.

I think if you get that worked up over stuff like that maybe you should just stick to going to a pediatrician.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess if Europe gets big laffs out of watching our hosed-up country self-destruct then whatever

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I really don't get how americans are some of the only people in the world who think healthcare should be a for profit industry rather than a basic human right. "But what about my moneys" is considered a valid response to "this person will die without help" and not something only a sociopath would say.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ArbitraryC posted:

I really don't get how americans are some of the only people in the world who think healthcare should be a for profit industry rather than a basic human right. "But what about my moneys" is considered a valid response to "this person will die without help" and not something only a sociopath would say.

The problem with basic human right point of view is that private practitioners can deny public healthcare programs because they pay for poo poo on the dollar, and that's a perfectly valid reason.

If you're getting a call at 4 am on a night with terrible weather it drat well better be worth your time. You're not this person's mommy or daddy. And no this isn't what a sociopath thinks this is what normal and sane people think.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 30, 2014

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

ArbitraryC posted:

the free market ensures competitive pricing and superior service.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

plain blue jacket posted:

the free market ensures competitive pricing and superior service.

Please define free market. Because I garunfuckingtee that you and the rest of the world live in a mixed economy and not a free market. Even America is a Mixed economy.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I had to pay over $220 a month as a 22 year old male working at pizza hut for the basic bronze plan . I asked the obamacare lady on the phone why and she told me I made too much for medicare but too little to get subsidies. I dont even have healthcare now and will have to wait until the next open enrollment to get insured.

Get hosed Indiana.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

The problem with basic human right point of view is that private practitioners can deny public healthcare programs because they pay for poo poo on the dollar, and that's a perfectly valid reason.

If you're getting a call at 4 am on a night with terrible weather it drat well better be worth your time. You're not this person's mommy or daddy. And no this isn't what a sociopath thinks this is what normal and sane people think.
If I get a call at 4 am in the morning saying ventilation went down and I need to go into lab to shut down my reduction profiles before hydrogen builds up to dangerous levels I go in because it's my job and that's what I signed up for when I got into my career. If you treat medical emergencies you have to be able to be there when the emergency is going on, that's your job, and that doesn't even have anything to do in the first place with the concept that we shouldn't let people suffer or die from treatable conditions just because they can't afford the care on their own.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
nope, we can't do what like every other first world country does for a medical care system

we're special; it wouldn't work

now take your 40$ tab of aspirin and get the gently caress out of here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's called a second opinion.

This isn't unheard of or bad.

I think if you get that worked up over stuff like that maybe you should just stick to going to a pediatrician.

Sorry mister paramedic but I have to get a second opinion on this gaping wound in my chest, hold on while I call the other hospital

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

TOILETLORD posted:

that's not real cost they over inflate all prices to force haggling to see how much they can get. Are europeans that stupid, also are goons so retarded they won't go and even try to haggle down a retarded high bill.

You have to haggle

with the loving hospital

are you kidding

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clamps McGraw posted:

You have to haggle

with the loving hospital

are you kidding

No he's not kidding. In America it's seen as perfectly reasonable that you have to haggle with a hospital for payments related to you being not dead as if it's no different from trying to get a couple bucks off a lucha libre mask from a street vendor in Mexico.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I had to pay over $220 a month as a 22 year old male working at pizza hut for the basic bronze plan . I asked the obamacare lady on the phone why and she told me I made too much for medicare but too little to get subsidies. I dont even have healthcare now and will have to wait until the next open enrollment to get insured.

Get hosed Indiana.

lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
best country in the world right here folks

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

ashgromnies posted:

uhhhh $40K might get you a BA but it's kinda low tbh

Not for a Public School.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
maybe u should redirect some of the cashmonies from ur huge military budgets and put them into medical care stuffs instead, america. I dunno

Anyway this system of yours sounds terrifying

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Prooouueeed to be an americuuuuun

where at least I know I'm free

*trips down stairs without medical insurance, is in debt for years*

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Here is how you haggle with the hospital.

Hospital: That procedure will be $6,000.

You: What the gently caress? I can't pay that much money.

Hospital: Well, if you can make the payment all at once we'll knock off $500, so the total will be $5,500.

You: I still can't pay that much, and that is a ridiculous so-called "discount".

Hospital: You can always opt not to have the procedure done.

You: It's a loving surgery to remove a malignant tumor!

Hospital: Yeah, but your life is not in immediate danger, so we don't have to do it without compensation.

You: Ugh, fine, whatever, I'll have to make monthly payments, then.

Hospital: Okay, but until the balance is paid we're going to have our billing department call you every day once a day between the hours of 3am-10am or 6pm-11pm to solicit additional payments.

You: That's harassment!

Hospital: Actually, under the current laws in the State of Georgia, we can legally call you every 24 hours to demand payment for medical bills until you've paid us. And if more than thirty days go by without payment, we can seek to garnish your wages because this procedure was not necessary due to your life not being under immediate threat.

That is how my life was while surviving cancer back in 2011 until I hit my $6,000 deductible on my insurance (as in, no new haggling situations came up once that deductible hit, but I still had to deal with the $6,000). And I supposedly had excellent insurance!

EDIT: And that doesn't include the poo poo that insurance could refuse to cover altogether that I'd be on the hook for, like $1,000 for a prosthetic testicle (the surgery to have it put in when the tumor was removed was covered, but the prosthetic itself wasn't). Or $500 every single time I had a CAT scan, MRI or Pulmonary Function test to make sure the chemo drugs weren't killing me outright while trying to kill the cancer cells.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 30, 2014

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

The Taint Reaper posted:

Please define free market. Because I garunfuckingtee that you and the rest of the world live in a mixed economy and not a free market. Even America is a Mixed economy.

I wasn't being serious :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What about simple stuff like MRI's and Xrays? Is that poo poo also expensive for some reason?

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Prooouueeed to be an americuuuuun

where at least I know I'm free

*trips down stairs without medical insurance, is in debt for years*

meh, just declare bankruptcy. exit the hospital and shout your declaration in the streets to show other people they don't have to be afraid of big doctor. not like medical bills can't be discharged like student loans. sure, you risk losing assets you own at the time, but the things you own end up owning you anyway.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Zzulu posted:

maybe u should redirect some of the cashmonies from ur huge military budgets and put them into medical care stuffs instead, america. I dunno

But then, who will protect us from those goat-fuckers and dirt farmers in Afghanistan and Iraq who've never been 100 miles from their home town, but still pose an immediate urgent threat to American soil with their space-age super-fighter-jets?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Zzulu posted:

What about simple stuff like MRI's and Xrays? Is that poo poo also expensive for some reason?

MRIs cost a fortune. They require highly trained technicians the machine itself is often worth millions.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
they cost 20 bucks to do here

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
listen Rest Of The World, you'll be fine as long as we don't become too hosed up before we also exhaust all of our insane military expenditures and declare the delicious taste of deep-fried imperialismdemocracy on you all

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Zzulu posted:

they cost 20 bucks to do here

I don't mean cost to the patient, I mean the cost to the hospital. Sorry I think I misunderstood your question

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Zzulu posted:

lol if a politician tried to do that they'd be branded an America-hating traitor and threat to national security by the media

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Wade Wilson posted:

Here is how you haggle with the hospital.

Hospital: That procedure will be $6,000.

You: What the gently caress? I can't pay that much money.

Hospital: Well, if you can make the payment all at once we'll knock off $500, so the total will be $5,500.

You: I still can't pay that much, and that is a ridiculous so-called "discount".

Hospital: You can always opt not to have the procedure done.

You: It's a loving surgery to remove a malignant tumor!

Hospital: Yeah, but your life is not in immediate danger, so we don't have to do it without compensation.

You: Ugh, fine, whatever, I'll have to make monthly payments, then.

Hospital: Okay, but until the balance is paid we're going to have our billing department call you every day once a day between the hours of 3am-10am or 6pm-11pm to solicit additional payments.

You: That's harassment!

Hospital: Actually, under the current laws in the State of Georgia, we can legally call you every 24 hours to demand payment for medical bills until you've paid us. And if more than thirty days go by without payment, we can seek to garnish your wages because this procedure was not necessary due to your life not being under immediate threat.

That is how my life was while surviving cancer back in 2011 until I hit my $6,000 deductible on my insurance (as in, no new haggling situations came up once that deductible hit, but I still had to deal with the $6,000). And I supposedly had excellent insurance!

EDIT: And that doesn't include the poo poo that insurance could refuse to cover altogether that I'd be on the hook for, like $1,000 for a prosthetic testicle (the surgery to have it put in when the tumor was removed was covered, but the prosthetic itself wasn't). Or $500 every single time I had a CAT scan, MRI or Pulmonary Function test to make sure the chemo drugs weren't killing me outright while trying to kill the cancer cells.

My wife's job was dealing with insurance for the local hospital. This is very true.

She has since left after being told to tell people they can't have certain operations done (similar to the quote above).

:smith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zzulu posted:

Prior to the PPACA, those things would be subject to your deductible if you were lucky, or flat out not-covered if you were unlucky.

With PPACA, the scan itself is covered, but the doctor fees for looking at the results and telling you what is what are not covered and fall under deductibles.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My wife's job was dealing with insurance for the local hospital. This is very true.

She has since left after being told to tell people they can't have certain operations done (similar to the quote above).

:smith:
Slandering America, huh? Fiendish Dr. Wu!

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
My psychiatrist attends the yearly functions given by my medical aid that explains their payment plans and any changes. She know every legal loophole to get around and poo poo they might throw at you since they obviously thrive on technicalities. She's really awesome. You can get really hosed over in South Africa if you get a private doctor that doesn't know how to navigate your plan.

Oh and on a side note when I worked in Maitland clinic, which has a lot of psych patients because there's a home near there we'd get in a boatload of mostly schizophrenics once a week. The nurses and home made drat sure they took their meds so they were the most strange but kinda pleasant people to be around, much nicer to work with than some of the jackasses we dealt with.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
pretty much everything costs between 20-30 dollars here and every time you go see the doctor you get a stamp on a little paper thingy and when you reach a certain amount of money spent and stamps collected (around 150 dollars worth) within a year, every visit after that becomes free of charge. So if you're dealing with some chronic poo poo or you're injury prone or whatever it's basically 100% free after a little while. Otherwise it's just fairly cheap

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

lol you're a loving idiot ahahhaa

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

pretty much everything costs between 20-30 dollars here and every time you go see the doctor you get a stamp on a little paper thingy and when you reach a certain amount of money spent and stamps collected (around 150 dollars worth) within a year, every visit after that becomes free of charge. So if you're dealing with some chronic poo poo or you're injury prone or whatever it's basically 100% free after a little while. Otherwise it's just fairly cheap

He's dead, Doctor! But from what?

Communism, Johnny. :911:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ArbitraryC posted:

If I get a call at 4 am in the morning saying ventilation went down and I need to go into lab to shut down my reduction profiles before hydrogen builds up to dangerous levels I go in because it's my job and that's what I signed up for when I got into my career. If you treat medical emergencies you have to be able to be there when the emergency is going on, that's your job, and that doesn't even have anything to do in the first place with the concept that we shouldn't let people suffer or die from treatable conditions just because they can't afford the care on their own.

Devry graduates really have a high opinion of themselves it seems.

Maybe you should have been a cop, I mean cops always do their job and the protection the people come without question, right. I mean it's their job.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
Good job Obamacare

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bondage posted:

Good job Obamacare

I still have my Cadillac plan because I paid towards funding the democratic party.

Hello political favors. Why yes I want all those fancy forms that make me special.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

a hole-y ghost posted:

Slandering America, huh? Fiendish Dr. Wu!

It's part of my master plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

When my father died an ambulance arrived and the EMTs pronounced him dead on arrival.

They transported him two blocks away to the hospital and then billed my mother for like $6,000.

• Locked thread