Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Clever Spambot posted:

Amphibious isn't that bad iirc.

Every one of the 4-pointers has the potential to outright kill you in the wrong situation. You could make the argument that amphibious is the easiest to mitigate, since you can build with the intent to be stupidly wealthy (overburdened with water) all of the time.

Excepting novelty builds, the extra point isn't worth the added effort / survivability hit of the worst defects, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You guys are welcome to use the latest private Beta of Caves of Qud: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

*Mutation cost rebalance:

Adrenal Control - 3, down from 4
Burrowing Claws - 2, down from 3
Corrosive Gas - 3, down from 4
Electromagnetic Pulse - 2, down from 3
Heightened Hearing - 2, down from 3
Phasing - 4, down from 5
Photosynthetic skin - 2, down from 3
Sleep Gas Generation - 2, down from 3
Spinnerets - 3, down from 4
Stinger (all types) - 3, down from 4
Two Headed - 2, down from 3

Clairvoyance - 2, down from 3
Disintegration - 3, down from 4
Ego Projection - 2, down from 3
Light Manipulation - 4, up from 3
Mental Mirror - 2, down from 3
Precognition - 4, up from 3
Sunder Mind - 4, down from 5
Syphon Vim - 3, down from 4
Teleport Other - 2, down from 3

*Added a new terminal font (Thanks Brian Turcotte!)
*Added support for '-oldfont' to revert to the older lower-resolution texture
*Added a new dungeon (Trembling Dunes, lower-leftmost square of world map) [build currently waiting final monster/item population]
*Added low contrast accessibility mode (OpenGL only)
*Fixed stun rod not stunning
*Fixed beak having the same description as horns
*Fixed some issues with cross-faction aggro levels
*Fixed an issue with gas propagation near world's end
*Fixed an issue where dart guns and other magazine-loaded multi-ammo guns weren't providing a selector
*Fixed the description of dismembered limbs being capitalized
*Fixed spark ticks being worth a static amount of XP
*Fixed question mark not always calling up information in the shop
*Fixed crayons being rustable
*Fixed axe whack affecting non-combat targets
*Fixed typos

*Modding support:
*Added support for loading mod files from subdirectories
*Added support for Worlds_*.xml, Quests_*.xml, Conversations_*.xml, BuildingTiles_*.xml
*Added new GenericPack part: <part Name="GenericPack" Table="<encountertable>" Amount="XdY+A" Radius="X"></part>
*Added new GenericSolid builder: <builder Class="GenericSolid" Material="<material blueprint>" ClearFirst="true|false"></builder>
*Added descriptions of the object a disk creates to the description of data disks
*Fixed stun rods not stunning
*Fixed an issue where equipping an item out of a chest would leave a reference in the chest
*Fixed arconaut skill display during creation
*Fixed spelling error on game result screen
*Fixed a visibility exception
*Fixed an issue where when NPCs with unstable genome triggered the mutation, the player to be prompted to pick a mutation

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Edwhirl posted:

Anyone have any advice for Caves of Qud for starting out? I know there was a post about it a long time back, but I can't seem to find it.

here's the old post about it. It was using that esper build, but there's still some helpful info in there if you're starting from scratch. If you don't wanna mess with mutations a True Man Praetorian is the most powerful/straightforward human.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Unormal posted:

You guys are welcome to use the latest private Beta of Caves of Qud: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

Just so you know, chrome and IE both triggered on the installer saying it was a virus. security essentials didn't pick up anything, but the browsers didn't like it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edwhirl posted:

Just so you know, chrome and IE both triggered on the installer saying it was a virus. security essentials didn't pick up anything, but the browsers didn't like it.

Weird; I'm positive it isn't infected with anything, but I posted a .zip as well for anyone concerned with the installer or just would rather have a zip.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's probably just because at some point there has been a file called setup.exe on that domain that was malicious. I doubt they're actually scanning the file.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Unormal posted:

Weird; I'm positive it isn't infected with anything, but I posted a .zip as well for anyone concerned with the installer or just would rather have a zip.

yeah I scanned it and my hard drive just to make sure and there's nothing. ..btt is probably right, you could probably just rename it to something else and it'd be fine.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
Hey, for anyone beta testing Sproggiwood who's finding it pretty easy. You can go into settings and change the difficulty from Easy to Hard (I know -- that settings menu is a mess right now). Hard is substantially harder than Easy and at the moment there's no way to start a game on Hard, so you guys may have missed it.

We'd definitely appreciate if you tested on Hard if you're finding Easy to be a breeze.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

Hey, for anyone beta testing Sproggiwood who's finding it pretty easy. You can go into settings and change the difficulty from Easy to Hard (I know -- that settings menu is a mess right now). Hard is substantially harder than Easy and at the moment there's no way to start a game on Hard, so you guys may have missed it.

We'd definitely appreciate if you tested on Hard if you're finding Easy to be a breeze.

I did my testing on hard but I don't think it's possible for anything to actually be difficult with biting frost and/or ice traps.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

dis astranagant posted:

I did my testing on hard but I don't think it's possible for anything to actually be difficult with biting frost and/or ice traps.

Ice traps are long deprecated. When did you do your last testing? You might find the later dungeons more challenging (swamp/hills on Hard). I'll be adjusting the hills population over the weekend, too, so that the boss doesn't subdivide for all eternity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

Ice traps are long deprecated. When did you do your last testing? You might find the later dungeons more challenging (swamp/hills on Hard). I'll be adjusting the hills population over the weekend, too, so that the boss doesn't subdivide for all eternity.

Ah, it's been a few weeks. I think vampires had just been implemented.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

I triggered them all except for the 2 Surma ones (can't get past that one area) and the companion one, which I tried many ways to trigger (scrolls, shrines, charming, randomly getting a sheep in the Tutorial) and couldn't find one that worked. Oh, another bug is when you "retry" after fleeing it doesn't retry with any (some?) of the default equipment.

Where's the save located, anyway (I accidentally nuked this one by selecting New Game :gonk:)? All I found was the secret Popeye vid.

Edit: Oh, I forgot one, that potion that scrambles your skills messes up the level thingy.
I'll just answer my own question then. Apparently Unity games like to use the registry :barf: And, yeah, ice weapons are my go-to which probably means they're OP.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

What does Hard actually change? Is it like more monsters/dungeon features/monsters get more abilities/different AI, or is it just buffing monster HP/Armor/Damage? The later doesn't seem that fun and it's usually the sort of thing that Hard Mode in games means.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doom Goon posted:

I'll just answer my own question then. Apparently Unity games like to use the registry :barf: And, yeah, ice weapons are my go-to which probably means they're OP.

I'm just using the default player prefetences to store state at the moment (which is in the registry on Windows). I plan to move the serialization to a save file but it'll probably be post 1.0 release.

At this point the pref based serialization is a stable known quantity so I'm a little wary to muck with it for small (though nice) gain.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Potsticker posted:

What does Hard actually change? Is it like more monsters/dungeon features/monsters get more abilities/different AI, or is it just buffing monster HP/Armor/Damage? The later doesn't seem that fun and it's usually the sort of thing that Hard Mode in games means.

Adding more hp/armor/damage means something rather different in a turn-based game with permadeath than it does in a game where you continue to run circles around things shooting them. If it's the difference between, "99.9% of the time I kill it and heal to full" versus "95% of the time I kill it and heal to full" that's huge. I have no idea what they did, though I would hope the AI would remain the same and just be good in both of them.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

The mosters do have and deal more, but they're separate population tables, so the ratio of monster types/etc changes as well. Though it won't be whole new types of monsters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think I've ever noticed a practical difference in monster hp beyond some enemies taking 2 hits and others taking 1 (not counting bosses)

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

HP is actually mostly the same, but damage is way higher and out of depth encounters are more common. Basically, the game is a lot less forgiving, so you have to use optimal tactics more often. You should get into more sticky situations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harder monsters earlier doesn't sound that exciting for a game where you already pick your difficulty based on which dungeon you choose, but I'll try and give it a whirl this weekend to see how it works in practice.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Right now "Hard" is pretty much what I'd consider normal, in that I usually make it through unless I'm choosing a class that I think is weak (Vampire seems pretty tough). I don't notice goatmen that much w/o it toggled, for instance. Of course there's ways around a weak class, too, with the right equipment selection. And I expect that baselevel of difficulty to change with a little tweaking of the equipment and some skills, anyway. It probably does need some more challenge options but I'm not really worried about that; I get absolutely destroyed in CoQ.

Unormal posted:

I'm just using the default player prefetences to store state at the moment (which is in the registry on Windows). I plan to move the serialization to a save file but it'll probably be post 1.0 release.

At this point the pref based serialization is a stable known quantity so I'm a little wary to muck with it for small (though nice) gain.
That makes a lot of sense, actually!

Oh, I don't know if these are "bugs" but charmed wisps still sap you, and I got a mushroom companion from a scroll in the Hill area which liked to put down hostile portals, both which are actually pretty great. :3:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

Right now "Hard" is pretty much what I'd consider normal, in that I usually make it through unless I'm choosing a class that I think is weak (Vampire seems pretty tough).

Which dungeons in particular?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't understand the purpose of the thief's new backstab skill when enemies seem either die in one hit or 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

:toot:

Time to see if it works in Wine

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

hand of luke posted:

Which dungeons in particular?
You mean which have I completed on Hard? All of them up to Enri or whatever that's called (the hill one with the replicating mushroom mage). If you meant which one I had trouble with Vampire I didn't really note it, just in a general sense.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So...

Just made it to level D50 in ADOM. This is only the second time I've done it (the first time I was nothing like prepared for it and got wasted instantly. That was years ago). My monk had most stats well above 30 (strength at 62) and was decked in artifacts: preserver, vanquisher, saint's shirt, boots of the divine messenger, true aim, plus 5 or 6 I just carried around for no particular reason. Speed of over 150.

I killed the Greater Balor and slaughtered 5 of his balor buddies with practically no dent in my resources. Was going after the remaining four. Ghost lord drifts by me and hits me on a fluke...I'm playing a human. I die of old age at level 46, just minutes away from certain victory.

I thought if something like this happened I would rage, throw things. Scream and weep.

But I feel nothing...

...nothing...

oriongates fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 4, 2014

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
And that is why you always play the elder races in ADOM.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Another Sproggiwood bug - I beat the boss of The Bloated Grotto, but it was on a teleport pad when it died, and I couldn't move on to the tile to pick up the chest (teleporting on the pad also didn't trigger it). I had to quit out as there was nothing else I could do.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Naar posted:

Another Sproggiwood bug - I beat the boss of The Bloated Grotto, but it was on a teleport pad when it died, and I couldn't move on to the tile to pick up the chest (teleporting on the pad also didn't trigger it). I had to quit out as there was nothing else I could do.

Hah, that's a good one! I'll fix it up.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Thanks! Here's another one for you - you don't seem to actually need to equip the Alchemist's Vial to get double potion uses. It's selected as default when I start a map, but I can select Rumakko's Jewel instead and still drink a health potion twice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

On the same note, Scroll Of Wonder spawns of altars sometimes block paths to other rooms in a level.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

:toot:

Time to see if it works in Wine

Caves on Qud on linux report: mostly works.

There are a bunch of obvious things that don't work:
- running it with mono: it tries to load opengl32.dll (?!) and dies
- running it with mono in console mode: tries to use features in System.Console that mono doesn't implement
- running it in wine: can't find the windows mono install and dies
- running it in wine after installing mono by hand: ditto

This is what did work:
code:
# We need WINEARCH because .NET 2 doesn't work on 64-bit systems
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet20
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 wine XRL.exe
The reason I say it "mostly" works is that in openGL mode, the fonts are jagged and ugly, and in console mode, it can't seem to get the console size right and the edges of the screen are constantly appearing, disappearing, and being temporarily replaced with scrollbars. But it's playable.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

oriongates posted:

So...

Ghosts in ADOM...

Unless you play as an elder race, and even then perhaps still, I don't understand why it isn't considered part of the prevailing player wisdom that blessing/carrying/using all the potions that tie to youth and longevity is paramount very nearly right up their with making plenty of holy water and a bit of unholy. Biskup really should add in a pointed part about the dangers of aging in the forthcoming versions and tutorial dungeon.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Caves on Qud on linux report: mostly works.

There are a bunch of obvious things that don't work:
- running it with mono: it tries to load opengl32.dll (?!) and dies
- running it with mono in console mode: tries to use features in System.Console that mono doesn't implement
- running it in wine: can't find the windows mono install and dies
- running it in wine after installing mono by hand: ditto

This is what did work:
code:
# We need WINEARCH because .NET 2 doesn't work on 64-bit systems
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet20
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 wine XRL.exe
The reason I say it "mostly" works is that in openGL mode, the fonts are jagged and ugly, and in console mode, it can't seem to get the console size right and the edges of the screen are constantly appearing, disappearing, and being temporarily replaced with scrollbars. But it's playable.

I should probably just make a little console and input emulator in Unity and just release a unity version.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Unormal posted:

I should probably just make a little console and input emulator in Unity and just release a unity version.

that would be awesome.

Dazzling Klaxon
Nov 4, 2010

Unormal posted:

Oh, as usual if you play it, it'd be awesome if you could take the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V2CPC3H

I filled out the survey, although there's two things I forgot to mention.

1) Text scrolls up, so the line you're reading is moving, which is kind of annoying.

2) Enemies that are frozen may unfreeze and attack on the same turn. So if something's in a block of ice and I move next to it, I get hit. I expected them to work like spiderwebs and give me a 'free' turn, which is usually the case so the issue may just be them unfreezing visually at the wrong time.

This game is really fun also. I got to the 'unwinnable' 7th level and I would agree that is the case.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Naar posted:

Thanks! Here's another one for you - you don't seem to actually need to equip the Alchemist's Vial to get double potion uses. It's selected as default when I start a map, but I can select Rumakko's Jewel instead and still drink a health potion twice.

Keep these coming, please! Both of these bugs are new to us and extremely helpful (Unormal might have a better way for you to relay bugs to him; I'm sure he'll chime in if he does).

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

So, playing Caves of Qud, and I'm dying every 5-10 seconds. I read some builds that say use this or use that but I really don't want to, I just wanna play a hulking dude that beats up dudes with swords :(

Any tips?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
more qud questions: what does a timecube do and is it worth saving up a giant pile of stuff to buy the datadisk from a merchant?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pladdicus posted:

So, playing Caves of Qud, and I'm dying every 5-10 seconds. I read some builds that say use this or use that but I really don't want to, I just wanna play a hulking dude that beats up dudes with swords :(

Any tips?

You can get a nice amount of loot and levels right at the beginning of the game, without even fighting anything. There are three houses with chests in them, and there's no consequence for stealing as long as you close the door so nobody can see you. Argyve (at the west edge of town) will give you a quest to bring him two artifacts. If you don't start with grenades, you can usually buy a few cheap artifacts (ancient, mysterious folding chairs!) from the merchant at the east end of town.

My favorite characters to play are espers with huge amounts of Ego. Ego boosts the level of your mental mutations, so you can spend all your mutation points on unlocking new mutations instead of upgrading existing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Any tips?

there's not much to making a basic melee character; you put most of your points into strength and toughness then walk into things. I'm not really sure where you could go wrong, unless you're immediately embarking out into the world map at level 1? Follow the plotline for a while, build up a few levels, and then set out when the storyline sets you out.

Edwhirl posted:

more qud questions: what does a timecube do and is it worth saving up a giant pile of stuff to buy the datadisk from a merchant?

iirc it's used in high level tinkering, probably to make some kind of high-end energy weapon? Alternatively, it might not do anything :v: there are (especially as you get closer to the end of the game) quite a few pieces in a half-finished state.