Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"DeCorby has 5 years until he retires at full pension and everyone's sick of him loving up the lunch order. Put him on the Hernandez case, how could he possibly screw that up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Your honor, my client was unfortunately subject to unreasonable search and seizure at the hands of brutish police officers who demonstrated no respect for the rule of law. They invaded my clients home without probable cause, and without following due process, in response to unfounded allegations of the presence of a "rape dungeon" within the premises. In light of this grave, and disgusting abuse of the rights of the defendant shown by the police department, we demand that the bodies of the 14 missing toddlers in question, found in my clients rape dungeon, be thrown out of court.

Granted. Officer Stevens, what the gently caress. Really.

Sorry, shiiiiiit

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Dexter Morgan is the Judge.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How's the ACAB crowd feel about this?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm almost in that crowd, and I would just say people have rights even after they're arrested. No, it's not okay for cops to arrest you, put you in jail, then search your stuff while you're locked up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

I'm almost in that crowd, and I would just say people have rights even after they're arrested. No, it's not okay for cops to arrest you, put you in jail, then search your stuff while you're locked up

Yeah, this is why said it was lovely probable cause. If this were the case every cop in the country could just "smell weed" in your car, lock you up, and then tear apart your whole life looking for evidence of any crime whatsoever. That's why we make them give probable cause for searches and poo poo, so we don't have to live in an even more ridiculous police state.

Maybe the real solution is to stop hiring retarded cops. (Seriously, if you can't even get a loving search right you probably shouldn't be roaming the streets with a loving gun.)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, this is why said it was lovely probable cause. If this were the case every cop in the country could just "smell weed" in your car, lock you up, and then tear apart your whole life looking for evidence of any crime whatsoever. That's why we make them give probable cause for searches and poo poo, so we don't have to live in an even more ridiculous police state.

Maybe the real solution is to stop hiring retarded cops. (Seriously, if you can't even get a loving search right you probably shouldn't be roaming the streets with a loving gun.)

FTP

Seriously though, if you are investigating a wealthy person who has the resources to hire good representation dot your I's and cross your t's.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Ya, people always complain about the rich getting away with murder. I think really there are two issues at play. First, cops suck at their jobs and procedure routinely gets hosed up. Second, the rich can afford lawyers who are good at their jobs and can actually exploit procedural gently caress ups.

Goddamn it, police are the worst.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

alpha_destroy posted:

Ya, people always complain about the rich getting away with murder. I think really there are two issues at play. First, cops suck at their jobs and procedure routinely gets hosed up. Second, the rich can afford lawyers who are good at their jobs and can actually exploit procedural gently caress ups.

Goddamn it, police are the worst.

That's why I was rooting for O.J. during the trial, even when it became plainly obvious he'd done it: the LAPD and county just flat didn't do their jobs well enough (and/or behaved like shitheaded idiots) to earn a conviction by meeting the burden of proof, and any high-profile lawyer worth his suit is going to be able to sow reasonable doubt all over the place. I probably would have acquitted him, too, and for the same reason.

Of course, I reasoned at the time, "what harm could it do to let him walk? He'd be the most well-known and scrutinized acquitted murderer in living memory, what danger could he present to society?" And we know how that forecast turned out.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm friends with a guy that was one of Hernandez' best friends back at Bristol Central High. Showed me the yearbook, showed me photos of him literally partying with the guy. Apparently after he got drafted into the NFL, he never spoke to a single person from back home ever again. Then one day they turn on the TV and boom - Aaron murdered some dude. Pretty surreal.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is someone really advocating the police shouldn't have to bother with a warrant if you are arrested and accused of a crime or am I misreading this thread?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ribsauce posted:

Is someone really advocating the police shouldn't have to bother with a warrant if you are arrested and accused of a crime or am I misreading this thread?

It gets weirder. A literal honest to god criminalRaiders fan did it.

13 year old girls posted:

I'm friends with a guy that was one of Hernandez' best friends back at Bristol Central High. Showed me the yearbook, showed me photos of him literally partying with the guy. Apparently after he got drafted into the NFL, he never spoke to a single person from back home ever again. Then one day they turn on the TV and boom - Aaron murdered some dude. Pretty surreal.

I thought half the concern over Hernandez was that it was old friends from Bristol dragging him into the gang life to begin with. :confused:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sweet thursday posted:

Do they always put stupid cops on slam dunk cases who then go and gently caress up the whole thing with shoddy due diligence and an inability to carry out basic police procedure?

All cops are stupid, so...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ribsauce posted:

This is about as honest a portrayal as claiming people who said it was OK for the NFL to undo Hernandez' guaranteed money were in favor of teams being able to just go around unguaranteeing money in everyones contracts all willy nilly. There's a little bit of a difference between public intox and being formally charged with the murder of several people. When it comes to the latter camp, I don't really care about freeman on the land nonsense. If there's evidence out there that can shed more light onto the case, get it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Volkerball posted:

This is about as honest a portrayal as claiming people who said it was OK for the NFL to undo Hernandez' guaranteed money were in favor of teams being able to just go around unguaranteeing money in everyones contracts all willy nilly. There's a little bit of a difference between public intox and being formally charged with the murder of several people. When it comes to the latter camp, I don't really care about freeman on the land nonsense. If there's evidence out there that can shed more light onto the case, get it.

:stare:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
One might argue that the more serious the accusation, the more the accused's rights should be protected. But I can see the fascist authoritarian viewpoint too

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

:lol: If the crime you're suspected of is serious enough then you no longer have human rights. Got it. Maybe next time we should just torture the McMartin's and get straight to the confessions instead of wasting 7 years on a trial.

One might argue that the more serious the accusation, the more the accused's rights should be protected. But I can see the fascist authoritarian viewpoint too

:hfive: Nice job being mature about this instead of just making fun of the dumb guy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The right to a fair trial. What benefit is it to someone who's innocent to obfuscate the water? I'm going to prison for 40 years because of a flawed trial thanks to some of the evidence not coming to light, but it beats the loving pigs walking around in my beach house for an hour. The heavier the potential consequences are, the more important it becomes for the verdict to be absolutely 100% right.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

:hfive: Nice job being mature about this instead of just making fun of the dumb guy.

if i were making fun of the dumb guy i would be making fun of you. the dumb guy

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Volkerball posted:

The right to a fair trial. What benefit is it to someone who's innocent to obfuscate the water? I'm going to prison for 40 years because of a flawed trial thanks to some of the evidence not coming to light, but it beats the loving pigs walking around in my beach house for an hour. The heavier the potential consequences are, the more important it becomes for the verdict to be absolutely 100% right.

There's also a right in the bill of rights to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure though. it's equally as important as a fair trial, and of course it's a component of a fair trial

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Volkerball posted:

Because you have a defense that can raise these types of objections and evidence for you without allowing the police access to every facet of your life based on an accusation?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

if i were making fun of the dumb guy i would be making fun of you. the dumb guy

And yet I can still see the problems with police having unlimited access to the lives of those accused of a crime. :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

There's also a right in the bill of rights to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure though. it's equally as important as a fair trial, and of course it's a component of a fair trial

I agree with that, and I know from a legal standpoint, it's probably not very subjective, but "unreasonable" is a subjective term. Did anyone think it was out of line for them to search Hernandez' primary home after the shooting? To look through his security footage, and dig through his dog house and all of that stuff with his family and the media there? How's his other apartment exempt from that?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
People getting away with heinous poo poo because of technicalities or police incompetency is incredibly frustrating, but stuff like probable cause exists for a reason - and tossing it out in favor of "oh come on, just look at this case" would feel really good now but really terrible later when it sets a terrible precedent for police overreach.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Volkerball posted:

I agree with that, and I know from a legal standpoint, it's probably not very subjective, but "unreasonable" is a subjective term. Did anyone think it was out of line for them to search Hernandez' primary home after the shooting? To look through his security footage, and dig through his dog house and all of that stuff with his family and the media there? How's his other apartment exempt from that?

They showed a judge they had prob cause and the judge agreed.

It sounds like in the other apartment case, they just submitted a blank or incomplete search warrant request and the judge signed off on it. As Fenster says, Goddamn right. No P.C.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So if Hernandez gets off and goes and kills 5 more people or whatever, would it be worth it because they upheld the integrity of the law?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cole posted:

So if Hernandez gets off and goes and kills 5 more people or whatever, would it be worth it because they upheld the integrity of the law?

No, it wouldn't be worth it but breaking the law isn't the solution. the cops should have done their loving job in the first place. End of story.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Cole posted:

The "integrity of the law" doesn't get people acquited, lovely police work does.

Thanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
How the gently caress are people still arguing FOR police ignoring laws in TYOOL 2014 on SA of all places.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I want to say I do feel frustration about Hernandez getting evidence thrown out, but the frustration is directed at the cops who failed in their job.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

How the gently caress are people still arguing FOR police ignoring laws in TYOOL 2014 on SA of all places.

Hello and welcome to TFF

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Hello and welcome to TFF

To be fair, it could also be GiP.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

So because the cops suck at doing their jobs, you want to give them more discretionary power. HRMMM...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress cops, gently caress aaron hernandez

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

I want to say I do feel frustration about Hernandez getting evidence thrown out, but the frustration is directed at the cops who failed in their job.

quotin'

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

So because the cops suck at doing their jobs, you want to give them more discretionary power. HRMMM...

Can't risk a jury making the wrong decision either. Look what a rich lawyer did for OJ. Best to skip the trial.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Eagerly looking forward to Hernandez's book "if I did it" in several years that he co-wrote with the Pounceys.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
With an introduction by Tim Tebow, "All Life is Precious, Even Semi-pros".

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Febreeze posted:

Eagerly looking forward to Hernandez's book "if I did it" in several years that he co-wrote with the Pounceys.

except he's so dumb he'll be undone when he writes about a body they weren't aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

wheez the roux posted:

except he's so dumb he'll be undone when he writes about a body they weren't aware of

But then the police somehow gently caress that investigation up and we come full circle again.

• Locked thread