Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Digital_Jesus posted:

What'd you wind up paying for it if you don't mind telling us?

I don't have the paperwork I'm front of me, but a couple hundred under 8999 for the actual bike, then something like 2.5 in fees and dealer bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nitramster posted:

They honored it, but would not come down more than 300 off it. I'm guessing it wasn't a mistake and was just one of a few with lower prices to drive some sales. Hell maybe they even changed it just before I saw it to try and squeeze a few more out the door after noon. I wish I was not a gutless negotiator :(

Whatever, $300 off that already decent markdown price isn't bad at all!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Nearing 3,000 miles on my Honda CTX700ND after about ten weeks of ownership. The dual-clutch transmission has and continues to work flawlessly, and my average MPG is right at 60MPG (including commuting and spirited canyon rides).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's pretty awesome. How's the comfort level?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My next door neighbor has this bike. It appeared one day during spring, and has literally not moved from its parking spot the entire season. There is a giant pile of autumn leaves gathering under it right now :(

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pope Mobile posted:

That's pretty awesome. How's the comfort level?

The seat is pretty awesome for my fat rear end, I can easily ride a whole tank (~180mi) without needing a rest. The suspension... well, let's just say the suspension is basic. But I can't say I'm too unhappy considering the $7k I spent for it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Just passed 2,000 miles on my FX 5.7. That’s $5 in electricity, from wind power.

My rear tire is now becoming bald. So that's what living with instantaneous application of 70 ft/lb of torque is like… huh.

Been exposing people to the machine, left and right. I brought it into my college classroom recently to show and discuss with my students (riding around my classroom, even). Convinced my workplace to let me park the bike right outside our main entrance so I can plug it in (next to a bicycle rack) - best parking arrangement in my life.

Since June, my SV650 has been only ridden every once a month, and that's just to keep its battery alive. It feels inconvenient just riding it. I now reel in amazement at how desensitized I was to pollution and noise before, because I now can't stand the constant racket and smog enveloping me from beneath. Weird. My world has been completely changed. I am utterly spoiled by the luxuriously smooth sensation from the bike and the silence. My girlfriend refuses to ride the SV anymore, as well (it was her bike) - she can't stand riding it anymore, too. Gah.

Hurry up, used-electric-bike market, so I can buy more of them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
drat I want a Zero. I think I might get to test ride them next time I'm up, I've got friends of friends who work at the factory. Would you recommend your model over the others?

Took a nice long ride this afternoon to cool down. I hate the pole in the middle of the picture, but I was just too happy with the Bear Crossing sign not to use it anyway.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

drat I want a Zero. I think I might get to test ride them next time I'm up, I've got friends of friends who work at the factory. Would you recommend your model over the others?

Took a nice long ride this afternoon to cool down. I hate the pole in the middle of the picture, but I was just too happy with the Bear Crossing sign not to use it anyway.

I think they have them at Hollywood electrics on Fairfax just south of melrose

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I brought home a big dumb tractor.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

SaNChEzZ posted:

I think they have them at Hollywood electrics on Fairfax just south of melrose

Oh do they? I keep meaning to go in that shop and am always too busy. Gonna carve out some time soon to drool over some ebieks and ask about a test drive

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

cursedshitbox posted:

She's cute, in that cafeteria lunchlady kind of way. :3:

I want a KLR. Enjoy!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mrking posted:

Oh do they? I keep meaning to go in that shop and am always too busy. Gonna carve out some time soon to drool over some ebieks and ask about a test drive

They sure do! No idea if they offer test rides though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

cursedshitbox posted:

Gyah, put the stock fairing back on, put the stock fairing back on

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They cut it off. :( I too, hate the mini-nose it was given.

Otherwise for an 06 its in pretty good shape.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Decided Friday evening that I would ride from Dallas to Oklahoma/Arkanas to do the Talimena Scenic ride the following morning. Definitely scenic, but also a fantastic road to ride with surprisingly good road surface quality and some great low speed turns and sweepers. The trip definitely re-invigorated my waning motorcycle interest!

I need to figure out a better luggage situation, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Friend of mine did a 2200 mile trip with us on his SV650 and ran some Cortech soft luggage. He didn't complain about it, so I think that means it worked OK for him.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have some Nelson Rigg softs but they've been slowing destroying themselves at the seams. I think I had them too loaded without providing any extra support.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I bought some nelson rig saddle bags as well, I just haven't been able to mount them in a way that feels secure but also won't melt. With the giant stock muffler guards, heat wouldn't be an issue, but the two bros (brah) get way too hot for anything to really be near them. The complete lack of storage is the bike's biggest downfall.

I've kicked around the idea of buying a spare passenger seat and trying to attach a bag to that. Sort of like a tailbag. The bummer of owning a bike that no one wants is that there isn't much aftermarket or community support, and I really don't have the background to do much more than direct bolt-on stuff.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've got a bigass Nelson Rigg tail bag I've used or abused on a bunch of different bikes. It's held up beautifully for me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Decided Friday evening that I would ride from Dallas to Oklahoma/Arkanas to do the Talimena Scenic ride the following morning. Definitely scenic, but also a fantastic road to ride with surprisingly good road surface quality and some great low speed turns and sweepers. The trip definitely re-invigorated my waning motorcycle interest!

I need to figure out a better luggage situation, though.

Fuckin' aye I love B-Kings and I can't even articulate why. Even all these years on, with so many better super nakeds, I still totally want one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Fuckin' aye I love B-Kings and I can't even articulate why. Even all these years on, with so many better super nakeds, I still totally want one.

More capable? Sure. Faster? Probably. Better? Naaaah.

I fondly remember when superbike magazine decided to build one into a track weapon. Everything was carbon fiber, had what was essentially a built-up hayabusa engine by the end of it. Riding it on-track was akin to driving an american muscle car, from what I can gather. Crazy slides through every corner followed by insane acceleration to reel in the more capable bikes.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Come hang out with us in the Dallas thread. You can join the Suzuki Army:

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
This is my cheapo 2013 Daelim VJF250. I got my practical assessment next week. Looking forward to getting it on the road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Guy I know started on one of those, not a bad little bike for that it is. Very light and flickable. Will buzz like crazy at above 90km/h and doesn't really have the power to go much faster than that either. Would be a great around town bike though. Enjoy it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen those around but never gotten close to one. Have you ever ridden any other kind of bike? I ask because I'm genuinely interested in how they compare to a more mainstream choice.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Shimrod posted:

Will buzz like crazy at above 90km/h and doesn't really have the power to go much faster than that either.
It has to be more powerful than you say, unless the "250" in the name isn't referring at all to displacement. At 90kph an old $1,000 Ninja 250 is just getting started. Hell, at 160kph it should still have a little left.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ninja is a high strung I2, if this is a V or a single it won't do as well. 90km is a bit of an exaggeration I'd bet but it's probably not going to make it to 150kmh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I2=V2 as far as revs and power go. The daelim is definitely a single; I'd say 130km/h is reasonable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm actually not exaggerating about the 90km/h part, it can go higher, I think it tops out at about 110km/h but that's at redline for the guy that was riding it, in top gear. They're not a bad little bike, just not really highway capable.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
We've had it on the highway at a bit over 100km/h. At that speed it did buzz, but not considerably. From memory it was sitting on about 7000 rpm at that speed, with the redline at 11000, so I would be surprised if your friend was redlining it at 110km/h in top gear. I think Slavvy is pretty close to the mark, but it might be a little while before I'm going that far over the speed limit.

I've ridden two other bikes, but both of them were road-trail bikes. As you might expect it handles a bit heavier than either of them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I2=V2 as far as revs and power go. The daelim is definitely a single; I'd say 130km/h is reasonable.

Well not quite; all other things being equal a parallel twin will make less power at the same revs as a v-twin because of the balancer shafts in the parallel increasing the reciprocating weight, and the v-twin will generally have a higher absolute rev limit for the same reason.

It's not a massive difference (maybe 5% torque depending on the exact design), but it's enough to have killed off any attempt to exploit the parallel's better packaging, weight (and distribution of weight) and exhaust design characteristics.

Of course parallels are fine (better in many ways) when absolute output isn't your main concern which is why they use it on smaller bikes.

FWIW on the "how fast should a 250 be able to go?" question, my old MZ 300 single could get to 70mph on a good day if you didn't mind feeling like you were riding down the road on a teflon jackhammer.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 28, 2019

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Jose Pointero posted:

Decided to get out and do a little exploring on my trusty steed after being sick with bronchitis all week. I live in north central Austin, and believe it or not I found this about 15 minutes away from my house. I think I'll call it "my happy place". Click for pretty:

And at the end of the trail, a cooling pond for an LP/Solar power plant. You can see the panels across the pond:

It's all free to roam as far as I can tell, didn't see any signs, gates, fences, anything. I pretty sure I'm hooked on dual-sport bikes now guys, I don't think I can go back to anything else :ohdear:

Hi Austin goon. I ripped up 360 for a bit today and was told I had to pay 10 dollars to pull into the 360 boat ramp parking lot. I laughed at the lady and then went down the private road right next to her instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well not quite; all other things being equal a parallel twin will make less power at the same revs as a v-twin because of the balancer shafts in the parallel increasing the reciprocating weight, and the v-twin will generally have a higher absolute rev limit for the same reason.

It's not a massive difference (maybe 5% torque depending on the exact design), but it's enough to have killed off any attempt to exploit the parallel's better packaging, weight (and distribution of weight) and exhaust design characteristics.

Of course parallels are fine (better in many ways) when absolute output isn't your main concern which is why they use it on smaller bikes.

FWIW on the "how fast should a 250 be able to go?" question, my old MZ 300 single could get to 70mph on a good day if you didn't mind feeling like you were riding down the road on a teflon jackhammer.

Spoken as eloquently as befitting a former Laverda rider. You forgot to mention that they're unbelievably lame compared to V-twins (with some notable exceptions).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But a parallel twin with a balance shaft isn't "equal" to a v-twin without one? "All other things being equal" implies things are, well, equal except for in this case cylinder configuration. Which they aren't if you start throwing shafts and pistons and stuff into the mix. :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To further confuse the situation, some v-twins have balance shafts! Like the the apriliotax 60 degree engine.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 28, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But a parallel twin with a balance shaft isn't "equal" to a v-twin without one? "All other things being equal" implies things are, well, equal except for in this case cylinder configuration. Which they aren't if you start throwing shafts and pistons and stuff into the mix. :colbert:

That's why I said all *other* things being equal. The better intake and exhaust geometry mask some of the outright power loss in real-world applications (which is why they occasionally get tried out along with the other advantages). If it comes to it a v always has twice as many camshafts and chains as a parallel (well not *always*, obviously) which does sap a tiny bit of power.

Take all of those confounding variables out and the V still comes out ahead.

Slavvy posted:

To further confuse the situation, some v-twins have balance shafts! Like the the apriliotax 60 degree engine.

Yep - although by making the exhaust and intake geometry better they (allegedly) regained the power loss from the two sets of balancers.

Basically engine design is really loving hard and it's only in the last couple of decades that engine design has been based on anything other than "Yeah, that seems about right" (or "The other guys are doing this, we have to do it!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Minkee posted:

Hi Austin goon. I ripped up 360 for a bit today and was told I had to pay 10 dollars to pull into the 360 boat ramp parking lot. I laughed at the lady and then went down the private road right next to her instead.

Heh, I was also out on 360 on saturday (rode the 2244->620->2222 loop). loving perfect day for it.