Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ultima66 posted:

That got me to optimize my current Siyalatas, but this doesn't help with deciding when/if to max level a Vaagur and when to roll for more ancients.

When to reroll ancients - can you buy any of the ancients listed in that app? If yes, then test to see if buying the first level of that ancient (making sure to subtract the right number of souls for the cost from your current soul count) leads to a bigger multiplier and buy when it does. If not, or none of them are worth even spending one level on and you haven't bought most/all of the ancients listed there yet, reroll. The ancients worth buying eventually not in that app are mentioned in this thread a few pages back, though unfortunately exact efficiencies aren't readily available.

Maxing the level of Vaagur is dependent on whether you are willing to come back to the game every half an hour/hour to energized Dark Ritual it up. If you're interested in doing this right away then you should max immediately, otherwise you can put off maxing it even though it's less efficient in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Here's one I just found on the incremental game subreddit: http://dempo.minethings.com/

You sign up and the numbers get bigger whether you're online or offline. Things to do include building a robot, upgrading the robot, buying mines, trading stuff, working for other players/hiring other players (no idea how that works), and probably some other stuff. I signed up as EvilBillMurray because why not.

The game has a referral system and I'm not 100% on what that does but here's my link: http://www.minethings.com/miners/index/+196522

Edit: I don't know if it matters but I'm on the Dempo server.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
With Clicker Heroes, when you should be resetting and spending souls depends on how long of a stretch you intend to play. The amount of souls per boss increases drastically the higher you go, with bosses in the 200s giving 20+ souls each. My advice when you're below 300 souls would be to figure out what you want to buy, accrue double the souls that it costs levelling up and then buy it immediately before/after resetting. That way you are always moving toward getting to the higher level bosses.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You should ascend immediately when you get a gilded hero because you get a new one every time you hit your previous highest level plus 10.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

You should ascend immediately when you get a gilded hero because you get a new one every time you hit your previous highest level plus 10.

? It's just every 10 levels after a certain point as a onetime bonus, I got multiple on the same runthrough.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Falcon2001 posted:

? It's just every 10 levels after a certain point as a onetime bonus, I got multiple on the same runthrough.

What's that point? I've only seen one per ascension.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

What's that point? I've only seen one per ascension.

Pretty sure it's Level 100 and then every 10 levels thereafter. I got most of my gilded characters on the same run and haven't seen any since as I've been just ascending. Checked my stats and it matches up - I'm up to level 160 and I have 7 gilds.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Falcon2001 posted:

Pretty sure it's Level 100 and then every 10 levels thereafter. I got most of my gilded characters on the same run and haven't seen any since as I've been just ascending. Checked my stats and it matches up - I'm up to level 160 and I have 7 gilds.

This. The amount of gilded heroes you have is equivalent to (highestlevel-90)/10.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Falcon2001 posted:

Ditto, I got them at 100, 110, 120 on my first world.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I've got 29 HS now and haven't spent any of them. I've got DogCog, Vaagur, and Morgulis in my first Ancient batch. Should I drop any souls on any of them yet? Morgulis feels like a trap and I don't know how many souls I'll need to dump into the other two before they get useful. I'm about half way through my third ascension.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

RickVoid posted:

So I've got 29 HS now and haven't spent any of them. I've got DogCog, Vaagur, and Morgulis in my first Ancient batch. Should I drop any souls on any of them yet? Morgulis feels like a trap and I don't know how many souls I'll need to dump into the other two before they get useful. I'm about half way through my third ascension.

Vaagur it up son. Bring down the powers of compound interest on your foes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Arrrthritis posted:

Vaagur it up son. Bring down the powers of compound interest on your foes.

Yeah Vaagur is good because CD reduction is sweet for everything, and he's reasonably cheap to level to get the bonus. He's pretty much a great first choice no matter what, even if you idle a lot.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so that bought me a 55% skill cooldown, so that works. Four more levels of that and I can start the Enhanced Dark Ritual thing. Nice.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Other than adventure capitalist what idle games run when you have them closed? My computer is made of wood and determination and most idle games that require me to run them in the background eventually cause my computer to slow down.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

RickVoid posted:

Morgulis takes one soul to level up and makes souls more powerful. If you pay 16 souls to buy him you lose about 160% boost to dps. In return your bonus per soul goes from 10% to 21%. If you spend a soul to level him up the bonus becomes 32%. As you buy more levels, souls get more and more powerful. Basically once you break even from your initial purchase, you will always gain more dps from buying a morgulis level than by keeping a soul. Unless you have only one soul and you spend it on levelling him up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty sure that's not how Morgulis works. You get 11% more DPS per soul spent on him, but unspent souls already give you 10%, so it's a 1% bonus per level.

So if you spend 16 souls to buy him you won't turn a profit until you spend 160 souls on him, but after that every soul you would have otherwise just held for the DPS bonus becomes 10% more powerful when spent on him instead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how Morgulis works. You get 11% more DPS per soul spent on him, but unspent souls already give you 10%, so it's a 1% bonus per level.

So if you spend 16 souls to buy him you won't turn a profit until you spend 160 souls on him, but after that every soul you would have otherwise just held for the DPS bonus becomes 10% more powerful when spent on him instead.
Also, he increases the cost of every later ancient, just like any other ancient would. Morgulis is powerful, but also incredibly awful and the time to get him is right after all the +skill ancients (if you're idling) or after all the +idle ancients (if you're not idling), i.e. dead last!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
The way Morgulis is worded it looks like it might not increase your click dps either.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wish gaining hero souls wasn't so random. This run I'm at 180 and have gotten exactly one soul boss.

I know Atman will help but it looks like he takes a ridiculous number of souls to level.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Devor posted:

Ditto, I got them at 100, 110, 120 on my first world.

Same here. I thought the 120 boss was an RNG fluke.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Len posted:

Here's one I just found on the incremental game subreddit: http://dempo.minethings.com/

You sign up and the numbers get bigger whether you're online or offline. Things to do include building a robot, upgrading the robot, buying mines, trading stuff, working for other players/hiring other players (no idea how that works), and probably some other stuff. I signed up as EvilBillMurray because why not.

The game has a referral system and I'm not 100% on what that does but here's my link: http://www.minethings.com/miners/index/+196522

I hopped on this, tried the referral link but I don't think it did anything. Same name there as here anyhow.

Buildinīmah robbit :awesomelon:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

milward posted:

I hopped on this, tried the referral link but I don't think it did anything. Same name there as here anyhow.

Be warned, this thing kinda blows. Your next step after building the robot takes a literal week before you can do anything else or more depending on the whims of the marketplace.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

dis astranagant posted:

Be warned, this thing kinda blows. Your next step after building the robot takes a literal week before you can do anything else or more depending on the whims of the marketplace.

'Next step' doesn't have to be full mining outfit. You can totally buy a rickshaw, become a trader and clear the travel stone before that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

milward posted:

I joined the Dempo server as friendlybee. Let's see if this is awful or not.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Agent355 posted:

Other than adventure capitalist what idle games run when you have them closed? My computer is made of wood and determination and most idle games that require me to run them in the background eventually cause my computer to slow down.

Idle-necromancer, idle-blacksmith (both on kongregate if nowhere else) and https://swarmsim.github.io/#/

Clicker Heroes too but you probably know that one already. Also https://savetheearth.es

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
I used the referral link for the mine things game. What does referring give you? It looks like there's a cash shop in game, and the only benefit I saw to referring is if someone you referred buys cash currency.

Also, Mine Things seems crazy complex and varied. I've completed my mining robot, is there anything to do other than wait a few hours until I have a few gold to try to buy something from an.....equipment mine? Is it worth trying to mine equipment instead of gold in the Start mine?

EDIT: Looks like if you go to the "Shop" tab and apply the coupon code "Starter", you get a free second mine for a week.

ChubbyPitbull fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 6, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This game isn't going to be for everyone, but if you liked idle blacksmith it might be up your alley:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ryu82/idling-to-become-god

Mostly just meters filling up and making big numbers.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This game isn't going to be for everyone, but if you liked idle blacksmith it might be up your alley:

I played this some last week. The creation screen takes a lot of micro-managing and waiting on your shadow clones to fill kills this game for me. Unsurprisingly, you can spend Kreds to max out your shadow clones instantly!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sindai posted:

Well here's the code from the calculator that keeps getting linked.

code:
        # Assume for now that all hero souls will be spent on Morgulis if he is
        # available, since that will be the best outcome if no other ancients are
        # purchased. Morgulis gives 11% increased damage .
        mult = (1.0 + 0.11 * (morgulis + hero_souls))
    else:
        # Hero souls give 10% increased damage per soul.
        mult = (1.0 + 0.1 * hero_souls)
Also in there

code:
    # It is always optimal to spend all of your hero souls on Morgulis.
    if morgulis > 0:
        morgulis += hero_souls
        hero_souls = 0
So if that calculator is to be trusted, Morgulis is a good buy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Right, that agrees with what I said. Notice the "Morgulis is always optimal" code comes after optimizing all the other ancients. It is always optimal to spend leftover souls on him once you already have him.

The calculator doesn't automatically factor in the initial price of the ancient - the second block of instructions in the comments tells you how to do that manually.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 6, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TTBF posted:

So if that calculator is to be trusted, Morgulis is a good buy.

It's always better to have unspent souls in Morgulis instead of unspent, but the first level of Morgulis is going to be expensive, not only do you spend souls to buy him, you increase the cost of all subsequent ancients.

I've got a pretty good stable of ancients right now and it's 70 to get my next one. I'd have to already have 706 ancients saved up to not take an immediate loss, and all further ancients are going to be more expensive as well.

I'm not saying he's a bad purchase though, he's just a lot more expensive than he looks and ultimately he's a 1.1X booster which isn't great compared to Dogcog (2X multiplier at max) or Fortuna (1.9X multiplier at max).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The real benefit of Morgulis is that he lets you treat your hero souls like any other currency - always spend all of them, don't worry about maintaining a stockpile, don't risk being set back several days by accidentally clicking Buy 100 instead of Buy 10 on some other ancient and losing your entire stockpile.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The real benefit of Morgulis is that he lets you treat your hero souls like any other currency - always spend all of them, don't worry about maintaining a stockpile, don't risk being set back several days by accidentally clicking Buy 100 instead of Buy 10 on some other ancient and losing your entire stockpile.

Though you need to make sure you always keep one Hero Soul, as his bonus is them, not a global one. I just accidentally spent my last one so I'm languishing a bit.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When is it optimal to fight anything but Slimies during the practice fighting? Tougher monsters have worse returns.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Devor posted:

When is it optimal to fight anything but Slimies during the practice fighting? Tougher monsters have worse returns.

Unlike any of the other progress bars, fighting will go faster and faster as your skill increases. Once you can max out slimies with only a few clones you might as well put them on the next level. At higher levels you'll be able to take care of the first dozen or so tiers of monster with a single clone each.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Len posted:

I've really tried to give this game a shot, because it was so bad and slow I assumed I was missing something but no, this game is literal garbage. Your ~mines~ gets you .03 gold per hour each (you can get two), and buying even the shittiest of the lovely items costs more than a couple gold. there's literally no way to speed this up.

edit: so basically once you complete your robot in a couple hours, you literally have to check in on it every twenty hours, do absolutely nothing, and then log out. for a week.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Varinn posted:

I've really tried to give this game a shot, because it was so bad and slow I assumed I was missing something but no, this game is literal garbage. Your ~mines~ gets you .03 gold per hour each (you can get two), and buying even the shittiest of the lovely items costs more than a couple gold. there's literally no way to speed this up.

edit: so basically once you complete your robot in a couple hours, you literally have to check in on it every twenty hours, do absolutely nothing, and then log out. for a week.

Yeah, and if you buy a rickshaw to go exploring it's just a slightly different thing that doesn't do anything for days.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Though you need to make sure you always keep one Hero Soul, as his bonus is them, not a global one. I just accidentally spent my last one so I'm languishing a bit.

That's not true, though? When you spend your last soul on Morgulis, your DPS doesn't go down.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's not true, though? When you spend your last soul on Morgulis, your DPS doesn't go down.

Huh. When I spent my last soul yesterday, I was pretty sure my DPS did go down. Today it seems to be fine, though. Dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I wondered why that sandcastle thread had posts suddenly after a couple months of inactivity.

Sperginess aside, that game did have the coolest paradigm shifts. Of everything in this thread I've been liking wall destroyer the best and am just now getting into end walls without an autoclicker. The game is really well balanced between idle and active. You could definitely beat it idle, and if you do click it's better than idling but not so much so that idling is useless. The game having an end is appealing too, and part of the reason I've dumped adventure capitalist is that the "update" just seems to add some incredibly grindy crap to it. The entire next tier after last update is all about upgrading your car washes which, when fully upgraded, will *almost* outpace my oil production.

As an aside, I hate that this genre exists. I sit at home with these things open in a browser tab and when I go to sleep at night I wonder to myself "what did I even DO today"

• Locked thread