Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

IceAgeComing posted:

Is there any correlation between those states that have stepped up spending to try and block marriage equality despite the appeals and those with significant state-wide offices up for election this year? It seems like the perfect way that Republican-led states could do something to encourage turnout from their base...
A fairly negative one, actually. Tom Corbett shut right the gently caress up about marriage equality and let the Pennsylvania decision stand unchallenged because he was already facing a long road to hoe and didn't want to make things worse for himself by going after a political loser like that. (He was hilariously doomed anyway, but the fact that even a prime Club For Growth rear end in a top hat was like 'haha NOPE' is very telling.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

South Carolina Supreme Court blocked the same sex marriage applications in Charleston yesterday pending a court case at the 4th Circuit.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141009/PC1610/141009407/1177

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is it safe to say that the modus operandi of states in the 4th circuit is "We know how this court case is going to go, but gently caress you we're taking it to court anyway"?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

And funnel $1.5m to NOM by hiring their board chairman as counsel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grundulum posted:

Is it safe to say that the modus operandi of states in the 4th circuit is "We know how this court case is going to go, but gently caress you we're taking it to court anyway"?

If you're going to go down, might as well go down kicking and screaming, I guess. :v:

CapnAndy posted:

A fairly negative one, actually. Tom Corbett shut right the gently caress up about marriage equality and let the Pennsylvania decision stand unchallenged because he was already facing a long road to hoe and didn't want to make things worse for himself by going after a political loser like that. (He was hilariously doomed anyway, but the fact that even a prime Club For Growth rear end in a top hat was like 'haha NOPE' is very telling.)

Public opinion on same sex marriage has shifted significantly in the past decade and the Republicans are finally catching on to that. The hardline Repubs will growl over the inaction but will still vote full Republican anyway because it's better than supporting those dirty liberals. On the flipside crusading against same sex marriage won't win any conservative votes they weren't already going to get anyway, but will chase a lot of people on the fence into the Democratic camp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grundulum posted:

If they gave up the ghost now it might hurt turnout in 3 1/2 weeks and that'll make baby Jesus sad.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

comes along bort posted:

If they gave up the ghost now it might hurt turnout in 3 1/2 weeks and that'll make baby Jesus sad.

Oh and what, cause only a R+21 margin instead of a R+25? This is South Carolina, they are going to drag it out as long as possible just to be assholes because they still have one hell of a chip on their shoulder about being told what to do.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh and what, cause only a R+21 margin instead of a R+25? This is South Carolina, they are going to drag it out as long as possible just to be assholes because they still have one hell of a chip on their shoulder about being told what to do.

It'll make for an effective primary attack though.

You're forgetting SC is the state where the Dem candidate for governor, who only lost by 4 last time, sealed his fate the other day by saying the confederate flag on the state house should be taken down.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2014

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
A federal judge just issued an injunction in Nevada, so marriage is official there now. 27 down, 23 to go!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

It'll make for an effective primary attack though.

You're forgetting SC is the state where the Dem candidate for governor, who only lost by 4 last time, sealed his fate the other day by saying the confederate flag on the state house should be taken down.

I hate this state so much .

Hahaha Charelston is saying gently caress the state and issuing licenses anyway, at least the Herald said they were this morning.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grundulum posted:

Do you mean currently? Cuz Maryland already legalized on its own and Virginia and West Virginia have both accepted the decision and are either already issuing licenses or will start shortly.

So it's just NC and SC in it that are being assholes, and they're pretty much always assholes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you mean currently? Cuz Maryland already legalized on its own and Virginia and West Virginia have both accepted the decision and are either already issuing licenses or will start shortly.

So it's just NC and SC in it that are being assholes, and they're pretty much always assholes.

Well, Virginia didn't have a choice -- they were the appeal that was denied cert by the Supreme Court. Like you said, Maryland already had same-sex marriage. That leaves NC, SC, and WV that had the option to delay things. Like that old song goes, "two out of three ain't bad".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
In NC it's more complicated. The state's official view via the AG's office is that the 4th circuit decision is binding on the state, which the district judge has all but said outright is his opinion as well.

The NOM guy hired by Tillis and Berger has until noon tomorrow to file a complete motion to intervene, and that's after the judge rejected their request for an extension until the 17th, so this might all be over tomorrow, though probably not.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

comes along bort posted:

In NC it's more complicated. The state's official view via the AG's office is that the 4th circuit decision is binding on the state, which the district judge has all but said outright is his opinion as well.

The NOM guy hired by Tillis and Berger has until noon tomorrow to file a complete motion to intervene, and that's after the judge rejected their request for an extension until the 17th, so this might all be over tomorrow, though probably not.

The judge will rule against Tillis et al, and order NC to issue marriage licenses immediately, possibly while chastising them for wasting the court's time in attempting to delay what any lawyer should know is a complete case.

Or more likely, the judge will summarily dismiss Tillis' whining.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is the judge allowed to order a lawyer/firm to return fees paid? If what someone said upthread is true, and public funds were paid to the lawyers, it seems more and more like this is merely a way for Tillis to channel money to his friends/supporters. Since all parties involved know what the result would be.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
In local news FTGE.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Grundulum posted:

Is the judge allowed to order a lawyer/firm to return fees paid? If what someone said upthread is true, and public funds were paid to the lawyers, it seems more and more like this is merely a way for Tillis to channel money to his friends/supporters. Since all parties involved know what the result would be.

As a nc taxpayer Id like to know this as well because it is SUCH A WASTE OF MONEY. please just give that 1.5 mil to the teachers whose salaries you slashed or to schools who have zero budget and overcrowding.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Teddybear posted:

The judge will rule against Tillis et al, and order NC to issue marriage licenses immediately, possibly while chastising them for wasting the court's time in attempting to delay what any lawyer should know is a complete case.

Or more likely, the judge will summarily dismiss Tillis' whining.

Yeah I'm hoping for a good gently caress you and the horse you rode in on in judge Osteen's decision. Or at the very least a terse reply laughing their weak poo poo out of court. Though I guess we already got that in his refusal to extend the deadline when he told them they had a whole year to get their poo poo together.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Abandon ship!

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says he will leave the GOP if Republicans abandon their ardent opposition to gay marriage and abortion.

Appearing on the American Family Associations radio show this week, Huckabee was discussing gay marriage and said: If the Republicans want to lose guys like me and a whole bunch of still God-fearing Bible-believing people go ahead and just abdicate on this issue, and why youre at it, go ahead and say abortion doesnt matter, either.

Because at that point, you lose me, Huckabee said. Im gone. Ill become an independent. Ill start finding people that have guts to stand. Im tired of this.

His comments follow the Supreme Court this week opting not to take up gay marriage, effectively clearing the way for several states to start issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

I am utterly exasperated with Republicans and the so-called leadership of the Republicans who have abdicated on this issue when, if they continue this direction they guarantee theyre gonna lose every election in the future, Huckabee said. Guarantee it.

And I dont understand why they want to lose, he continued. Because a lot of Republicans, particularly in the establishment and those who live on either the left coast or those who live up in the bubbles of New York and Washington, are convinced that if we dont capitulate on the same sex marriage issue and if we dont raise the white flag of surrender, and just the accept it as inevitable, well be losers.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

And thus the "Go Back to Africa" party was born.

GBtA Party FAQ:

What is the party's position on gay marriage?

Gross and should be illegal. See the Bible for more information, it's in there somewhere I think.

Is abortion a critical topic for this election season?

Absolutely. If a woman has time to go to the doctor at all, then they're not being properly submissive to their husband.

Wait, isn't "Go Back to Africa" extremely racist.

No.

Last updated June 5th, 1858. Please contact josh420@aol.com with site related queries.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Can we get a translation of what the ballot would say? Because this article does a good job of making it confusing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh my god I want gay marriage to fracture the right so badly. I want this to be a period of history we look back at and go 'so after years and years of fighting basic human rights for an oppressed minority the republicans finally gave up and sighed and said 'yea whatever' when it became clear they had zero support left for it, and still somehow a good chunk of insane bigots got super mad and split off for a while'.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Give me a loving break, Huckabee. You ain't goin' nowhere. This is just a little baby throwing a tantrum before his afternoon nap and diaper changing. Nobody's fooled at this whole "Independent" bullshit. O'Reilly pulls that card but we all know he's a total Republican. Is Independent the latest GOP rebranding, a la Tea Partier and Libertarian?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Can we get a translation of what the ballot would say? Because this article does a good job of making it confusing.

Yes, yes it did. This is how I interpreted it:
-There had previously been a civil rights ordinance passed by the city council
-group is all like "but gays are icky!" and petitioned to have a vote on the ballot to repeal said ordinance
-the anti-civil rights folks want the language to be that a "for" vote would be for the repeal, against the ordinance, and an "against" vote would be against the repeal, for the ordinance
-city council said that is confusing and just want it to read as a "for" vote meaning for the civil rights ordinance, an "against" vote against it
-looks like county election commission is siding with anti-civil rights folks

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

If I'm not mistaken Huckabee lives up in the bubble of New York and has for many years now considering that's where his show is taped.

Get out Huckabee, before the RINOvirus infects you too!:ohdear:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Huckabee and Santorum are exactly the kind of crazies who would be petty enough to take their ball and go to a new home just because their old home doesn't want to segregate gays as much anymore.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Huckabee and Santorum are exactly the kind of crazies who would be petty enough to take their ball and go to a new home just because their old home doesn't want to segregate gays as much anymore.

If any evangelicals want to emigrate to Uganda to be with the people who think like them, more power to them.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Chadderbox posted:

If any evangelicals want to emigrate to Uganda to be with the people who think like them, more power to them.

Back to Africa, indeed.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

HappyKitty posted:

Back to Africa, indeed.
Russia would be more appealing, as it is a conservative wet dream.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh Brian Brown, your tears are getting better and better.

quote:

"This is not democracy: it is judicial tyranny. We need to actnow! Please take a moment immediately to contact Congress and demand support for an amendment to the Constitution of the United States that will preserve and protect marriage as the union of one man and one woman! Legislative efforts to amend our Constitution to protect marriage are already underway. In the House, this initiative is being led by Representative Tim Huelskamp of Kansas. In the Senate, it is being spearheaded by Senator Ted Cruz of Texas. Marriage Supporter, I'll say it plainly: marriage is on the ropes, and our principles of government are taking a beating as well. That's why I need you to ACT NOW and DEMAND action from Congress to put a halt to the legal chaos that has been thrust upon us by the radical same-sex marriage' movement."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Russia would be more appealing, as it is a conservative wet dream.

Russia still tolerates slatternly women. Huckabee would be more at home in ISIS.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ninjasaurus posted:

Give me a loving break, Huckabee. You ain't goin' nowhere. This is just a little baby throwing a tantrum before his afternoon nap and diaper changing. Nobody's fooled at this whole "Independent" bullshit. O'Reilly pulls that card but we all know he's a total Republican. Is Independent the latest GOP rebranding, a la Tea Partier and Libertarian?

It has been the new branding since at least the beginning of the Tea Party. "I'm not a republican I'm a conservative" is not uncommon to hear from the far right and conservative isn't a recognized affiliation in many states so they register independent.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh Brian Brown, your tears are getting better and better.

wouldn't a constitutional amendment have to get past both the house and the senate? And doesn't it have to pass a 2/3 majority vote? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if that is true wouldn't it be impossible for them to pass such an amendment?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gatesealer posted:

wouldn't a constitutional amendment have to get past both the house and the senate? And doesn't it have to pass a 2/3 majority vote? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if that is true wouldn't it be impossible for them to pass such an amendment?

Yes but the act of trying to get one passed is a big hunk of red meat to the base who still get a chubby over this issue.

It's the same reason that they tried to repeal Obamacare so many times. It was doomed to fail but they could tell the hicks in their district that "they tried".

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

gatesealer posted:

2/3 of Congress, and 3/4 of state legislatures or state ratifying conventions. (Wikipedia)

NOM is dreaming of nationwide constitutional conventions that demand and ratify an amendment. Makes for good marketing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

gatesealer posted:

They've tried in the past. By all means, try it again, guys. I'm sure it'll work this time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It has been the new branding since at least the beginning of the Tea Party. "I'm not a republican I'm a conservative" is not uncommon to hear from the far right and conservative isn't a recognized affiliation in many states so they register independent.

This is exactly how my dad reconciles his political views with the abject failures of the Bush administration.

"The problem is Bush was a Republican, not a conservative like me. Conservatism could never fail."
*votes straight-ticket GOP for 50 years*

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nereid posted:

As a nc taxpayer Id like to know this as well because it is SUCH A WASTE OF MONEY. please just give that 1.5 mil to the teachers whose salaries you slashed or to schools who have zero budget and overcrowding.
I work for the state and we haven't had a raise in 7 years because there's no money, yet our Governor has poo poo way millions of dollars fighting gay marriage. Somebody asked the AG how much has been spent so far and his answer was "gee I dunno."

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Chris James 2 posted:

Don't forget that Huckabee was held up as the 'sane' Republican when he first ran for president.
The conclusion? gently caress Republicans.

The Macaroni posted:

2/3 of Congress, and 3/4 of state legislatures or state ratifying conventions. (Wikipedia)

NOM is dreaming of nationwide constitutional conventions that demand and ratify an amendment. Makes for good marketing.

This will never happen because my understanding is that once you call a convention, everything is on the table. You can't just limit it to a single issue. I'm not sure whether I should be laughing or really loving afraid if it ever happens.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
direct election of senators only got through congress because they were afraid the states really would call for a convention

• Locked thread