Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

this is factually untrue, at least in Toronto, i had a disagreement with a friend about uber so i caught a cab and he ubered and i beat him by ~3 minutes on a 25 minute trip and paid $15 with tip and he paid something like $50 because of SURGE PRICING

uber's algorithm the free market has spoken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

pr0zac posted:

this is really not true either, esp if you put any value on your time at all, taxi drivers are crazy efficient professional drivers that know the city like the back of their hand and get across SF twice as fast as an uber usually

wait is uber like an air bnb service for cars only instead of staying at someone's house where they might kill you you're getting into their car? cause if so lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah all uber drivers are independent contracters, they bring just about everything at their own expense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uber is literally just a cab company but with apps and also they don't pay payroll taxes or follow governmental regulations on cars for hire because they're disrupting the industry.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
i can't wait for the first uber/lyft murder

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bad Sneakers posted:

wait is uber like an air bnb service for cars only instead of staying at someone's house where they might kill you you're getting into their car? cause if so lol

the confusion is understandable: uber started out as a service to sell excess black car capacity. when that turned out not to be a billion dollar industry they went for the airbnb model

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pr0zac posted:

are you in SF? cause I definitely find this to be the case here and in other cities (Toronto most recently)

taxi pricing incentivizes getting there as quickly as possible while uber pricing does not

I do appreciate uber forcing cabs to make taking credit cards easier

I've had every kind of cabbie and many of them don't know basic poo poo about SF like "don't ever drive on market street" or "don't go up Powell because you will get stuck behind a cable car"

cabs need:
  • an app to reserve a cab with a guarantee that they won't just mark you as "no show" when they get a street fare or just bail because they're allergic to going further west than arguello
  • a way to rate drivers that actually has some accountability. So many of my friends have had super sexist/racist/homophobic cabbies, one of them even got stalked by one for 2 weeks and calls to the cab company yielded no result
  • cashless transactions and cabbies that won't get mad when you use them
flywheel has addressed the first part of each of those but that was the easy part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what is it about cashless transactions that makes cabbies mad? serious question

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a logged transaction that you can dispute later on vs they've got your cash and now they're gone and you cant do poo poo if they ripped you off

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

I've had every kind of cabbie and many of them don't know basic poo poo about SF like "don't ever drive on market street" or "don't go up Powell because you will get stuck behind a cable car"

cabs need:
  • an app to reserve a cab with a guarantee that they won't just mark you as "no show" when they get a street fare or just bail because they're allergic to going further west than arguello
  • a way to rate drivers that actually has some accountability. So many of my friends have had super sexist/racist/homophobic cabbies, one of them even got stalked by one for 2 weeks and calls to the cab company yielded no result
  • cashless transactions and cabbies that won't get mad when you use them
flywheel has addressed the first part of each of those but that was the easy part

is the transit authority so toothless as to be unable to push those as laws/regulations?

if a cab in nyc gives you poo poo there's a number you can call immediately to report the cab, and all you need is the 4 letter cab ID

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i dont know how you get past the super sexist or racist cabbies though, those are on the individual cabbie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

the MTA charges 5% also they can't cheat on their taxes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ripoff posted:

i can't wait for the first uber/lyft murder

there was a convicted felon driver who bashed his passenger's head in with a hammer a few weeks ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

uber is literally just a cab company but with apps and also they don't pay payroll taxes or follow governmental regulations on cars for hire because they're disrupting the industry.

fyi cab companies do the independent contractor scam too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

is the transit authority so toothless as to be unable to push those as laws/regulations?

if a cab in nyc gives you poo poo there's a number you can call immediately to report the cab, and all you need is the 4 letter cab ID

the transit authority doesn't run the cabs, we still have a ton of independent companies that range from OK to complete trash but almost nobody who owns a medallion still drives they just rent their out for 85-95% of what a cabbie can reasonably make in a shift

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also

quote:

Taxi-hailing company Hailo said it was done with North America today in light of, “the astronomical marketing spend required to compete.” The company, which has raised some $100 million and first launched in London, had fought particularly hard to conduct its business in New York, where it was part of the first group of companies that got city permission to allow people to hail rides from an app. CEO Jay Bregman is out, and 40 employees will lose their jobs, a company spokesperson said. The move was earlier reported by the Financial Times.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

carry on then posted:

in addition to having a paper trail forcing them to pay taxes on it and the mobile payment processors used to completely gently caress the cabbies (because the ones awarding the contract aren't the ones paying the transaction fees so they tended to not exactly be competitive) when cab drivers are usually just barely scraping by.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

fyi cab companies do the independent contractor scam too

but they still take out insurance

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

the MTA charges 5% also they can't cheat on their taxes

don't forget driving "after hours" for a little on the side that you keep all to yourself that also happens to serve primarily wasted people that you can rip off because who else needs a cab between 3 and 5 am

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget driving "after hours" for a little on the side that you keep all to yourself that also happens to serve primarily wasted people that you can rip off because who else needs a cab between 3 and 5 am

you can't drive a cab "after hours" in nyc

medallions are active 24/7, after your shift is done somebody else takes it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've had cabs do exactly that in brooklyn

or maybe he just wasn't running the meter and demanding cash for a different reason, but either way he had no recourse when i told him it was card or nothing and got out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only time it has ever happened to me is when i caught an owner/operator heading home for the day -- cut rate, no meter running if i was heading his direction

given that medallions are now worth something like $700k, there are not a lot of owner/operator cabbies left. or medallions not rented-out by the shift.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only time it has ever happened to me is when i caught an owner/operator heading home for the day -- cut rate, no meter running if i was heading his direction

given that medallions are now worth something like $700k, there are not a lot of owner/operator cabbies left. or medallions not rented-out by the shift.

that would be kinda neat to have your retirement plan also be your retirement action

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I've been usin flywheel and it suits my needs ok

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is it literally like a big gold medal on a ribbon that they have to hang around their neck. please tell me it is so

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

yes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nah it's like a baton they pass off when two cabs pass each other

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

is it literally like a big gold medal on a ribbon that they have to hang around their neck. please tell me it is so

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an old roommate finished school and just did 10 years in NYC. then he visited SF once, went back to nyc and packed up his poo poo, he was gone in a month.

i dont understand why ppl live there

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

an old roommate finished school and just did 10 years in NYC. then he visited SF once, went back to nyc and packed up his poo poo, he was gone in a month.

i dont understand why ppl live there

i visited this weekend

i have no idea why people live there

just on top of one another like animals

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sf is not really any better in terms of what you get for what you pay

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I haven't been in NYC much but it seems very bad, super crowded, people are assholes, loud as hell, and the weather is complete poo poo

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that's all true, but one ride on the caltrain or god forbid muni will drive home just how much of a joke city sf is

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

rotor posted:

I haven't been in NYC much but it seems very bad, super crowded, people are assholes, loud as hell, and the weather is complete poo poo

confirmed, all of it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

see this is what i think of all california

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

rotor posted:

agreed, OP.

Can you probate Baron's for a laugh? thanks m8 :waycool:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
aaaaaaaaaaaaay, ima walkin' heeya!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

theadder posted:

see this is what i think of all california

even im smart enough to know that bakersfield is probably a more accurate statistical snapshot of california than sf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the rust belt is awful and full. don't move here, ever. it sucks dirt dick

• Locked thread