Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

even im smart enough to know that bakersfield is probably a more accurate statistical snapshot of california than sf

joey porter lives in bako so it must be OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

I haven't been in NYC much but it seems very bad, super crowded, people are assholes, loud as hell, and the weather is complete poo poo

maniacdevnull posted:

i visited this weekend

i have no idea why people live there

just on top of one another like animals

Jonny 290 posted:

an old roommate finished school and just did 10 years in NYC. then he visited SF once, went back to nyc and packed up his poo poo, he was gone in a month.

i dont understand why ppl live there

nyc is five fuckin counties, 450+ square miles. folks visit the one square mile of midtown manhattan and conclude nyc is a crowded place where people live like animals

it is like judging the entire peninsula by visiting only the tenderloin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i hear san mateo is loving terrible because bums poo poo in the escalators and they sell drugs in the street

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nyc is five fuckin counties, 450+ square miles. folks visit the one square mile of midtown manhattan and conclude nyc is a crowded place where people live like animals

lol

have u been to new york

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nobody cares about the other four boroughs though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

"literally nobody cares about brooklyn"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i hear san mateo is loving terrible because bums poo poo in the escalators and they sell drugs in the street

san mateo is not sf. you CAN draw a pretty accurate picture of the city of san francisco from a single visit to the tenderloin

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

when you fetter away enough dough go spend a three day weekend there. learn to ride the subway. mosey about. its worth it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

san mateo is not sf. you CAN draw a pretty accurate picture of the city of san francisco from a single visit to the tenderloin

that's deliberate

san francisco city limits is a small part of the san francisco bay area
manhattan's county borders constitute a small part of new york city

it is hella dumb to stay in the marriott times square for a convention visit and assume that all of nyc looks like the awful areas that businessmen are forced to visit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pinterest Mom posted:

"literally nobody cares about brooklyn"

i hear output is great

cielo owns (or used to own)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
zero urge to ever ever ever visit nyc unless i am worth millions

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and it would be zero urge to visit SF but we have yosposters there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress your bridge and your historic districts and your cisamerica building, i want to pet pretty mommy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

zero urge to ever ever ever visit nyc unless i am worth millions

hotel rooms aren't that expensive

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
forget sf, go to san diego. just stay near the coast because if you drive too far inland it gets real hot and real conservative real quick

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody cares

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

zero urge to ever ever ever visit nyc

just once bruv

trust

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

forget sf, go to san diego. just stay near the coast because if you drive too far inland it gets real hot and real conservative real quick

it's called the inland empire because of the fascism, right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

lol

have u been to new york

i live in new york
a man could do worse

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

JewKiller 3000 posted:

SDs beer scene is out of control but the whole area is a culture void filled with awful white people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i live in new york

sorry :(

everyone who knew better moved away 8 years ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, that's why it's awesome. gritty, real, in touch with the common escalator-making GBS threads man.

unrelated: tech bubble recruiter trolling crowdsourcery

a couple of friends and I were talking about the constant bubble-recruiter spam that befalls anyone who mentions a major tech company on linkedin or whatever. occasionally, one of us is bored enough to let them repeat their breathless pitch on the phone, which provides the opportunity to ask pointed questions about the foamy nature of the business they're representing.

what are questions to ask that penetrate their bro-funded PR shell and make for awkward silences, without getting blacklisted from the entire set of recruiters who someday might actually find me a job I want?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

the entire set of recruiters who someday might actually find me a job I want?

this set is non-empty?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

agreed, OP.

Can you probate Baron's for a laugh? thanks m8 :waycool:

sure thing boss, link me to a post

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

nyc is so goddammed overcrowded that a sports franchise worth billions-with-a-B dollars had to find a roommate just to pay the bills

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

graph posted:

SDs beer scene is out of control but the whole area is a culture void filled with awful white people

so is sf now. who else can afford 3k/mo rent? at least in sd you're paying half the cost for weather that's twice as good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this set is non-empty?

let's assume that somewhere out there is a job I will want in the future more than the one I hold at the time. it's virtually certain that they have a recruiter, if only borrowed from their lead VC, and mathematically possible that such a recruiter would indeed contact me. play out this fantasy scenario with me, be a pal.

(when our recruiters mail me some message they're going to send a lead and ask "be honest, does this sound stupid?" I want to hug them until they pop)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah i'm somewhat joking but not completely. i mean, if all good developers hate recruiters and make little games out of their phone calls instead of taking them seriously, then why do all companies use these recruiters?

i don't take recruiter calls because i hate the phone because aspergers or something. so i dunno, ask them about burn rates. ask how much the ceo makes as a multiple of the lowest-paid employee. ask how much their cut is if you take the job.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sorry but NYC is garbage

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

I haven't been in NYC much but it seems very bad, super crowded, people are assholes, loud as hell, and the weather is complete poo poo

My family lived in NYC and vicinity for a century. it's just where twelve million of us belong. that's really it.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

sorry but NYC is garbage

this is literally true. the majority of the mass in nyc at any given time is contained in garbage bags on the street

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

My family lived in NYC and vicinity for a century. it's just where twelve million of us belong.

I could not agree more.

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

an old roommate finished school and just did 10 years in NYC. then he visited SF once, went back to nyc and packed up his poo poo, he was gone in a month

some people prefer living in small towns. lol

Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

I could not agree more.

If you can't make it in the big city, you can always live in a small town like SF.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
at 700k people sf isn't a small town but it's sure not a real city either. who the gently caress wants to pay 2500 for a 500 sqft apartment close to caltrain because you need to commute an hour each way OUT OF THE CITY every day?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

some people prefer living. lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what's that? you're gonna drive instead? have fun. it costs more and goes slower.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

no, that's why it's awesome. gritty, real, in touch with the common escalator-making GBS threads man.

unrelated: tech bubble recruiter trolling crowdsourcery

a couple of friends and I were talking about the constant bubble-recruiter spam that befalls anyone who mentions a major tech company on linkedin or whatever. occasionally, one of us is bored enough to let them repeat their breathless pitch on the phone, which provides the opportunity to ask pointed questions about the foamy nature of the business they're representing.

what are questions to ask that penetrate their bro-funded PR shell and make for awkward silences, without getting blacklisted from the entire set of recruiters who someday might actually find me a job I want?

i actually do not hate nyc. the worst part of it, and i am not kidding at all, is the local tech bubble

the "new york tech meetup," a monthly startup showcase, sells out tickets in under five minutes. a tech demo is mandatory, and they have q&a for each team

however, this is key: you are not allowed to ask anyone questions about the business model. "how will you make money?!" will result in literal booing

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
all cities are great/poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

what you see in the downtown of the city isn't even an accurate picture of the City and County of San Francisco. nearly half the city, geographically, is low, rolling sand dunes covered in former streetcar suburbs and populated mostly by regular joe Chinese immigrants.

like the popular image of the city is the downtown or the hipster poo poo all over mission and valencia or the haight or whatever, but if you picked a random point within the city limits you have at least a 50% chance of it looking like this

also what the gently caress why does imgur require captchas now? gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

• Locked thread