Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

hbo thing was earlier in the day, wouldn't affect after hours

netflix had their q3 earnings, and only grew by 3 million subscribers instead of 3.7 million.

the fact that this is considered such bad news that the stock price would tank by 25% is why I hate investing and investors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

everything is coming up netflix this week man

quote:

NEW YORK – Oct. 16, 2014 – CBS Corporation today announced the launch of CBS All Access, a new digital subscription video on demand and Nielsen-measured live streaming service for the CBS Television Network. CBS All Access will offer subscribers thousands of episodes from the current season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand, as well as the ability to stream local CBS Television stations live in 14 of the largest U.S. markets at launch.

For $5.99 per month, CBS All Access includes the following programming, with more to be added in the coming months:

-Full current seasons of 15 primetime shows with episodes available the day after they air.
-Unprecedented ability to live stream local CBS stations in 14 of the largest markets at launch, with more to be added as affiliates join the new service.
-Full past seasons of eight major current series, including THE GOOD WIFE, BLUE BLOODS and SURVIVOR.
-More than 5,000 episodes of CBS Classics, including every episode of STAR TREK, CHEERS, MACGYVER, TWIN PEAKS and CSI: MIAMI.
-Access to exclusive additional content for CBS Television’s biggest special events, such as THE GRAMMY® AWARDS, THE ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS and THE VICTORIA'S SECRET FASHION SHOW.
-Ability to stream the BIG BROTHER 24/7 Live Feeds service for no additional fee when the show returns next summer.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i thought only olds watched cbs though?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hbo is the one they should be scared of, if it's reasonably priced i'll subscribe to that one

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

awww yisssss

quote:

Airbnb, the pioneering home rental service, presents itself as useful and virtuous, but the reality is far less benign, according to a report that Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general, released on Thursday.

The report will say nearly three-quarters of all Airbnb rentals in the city are illegal, violating zoning or other laws. Commercial operators, not hard-luck residents, supply more than a third of the units and generate more than a third of the revenue. At least a handful of landlords are running what amount to illegal hostels.

Mr. Schneiderman and city regulators will also announce Thursday a joint enforcement initiative to shut down illegal hotels. Various regulators will investigate violations of building and safety codes and tax regulations.

“Anyone operating an illegal hotel should be on notice that the state and city will take aggressive enforcement actions in this area,” said Mr. Schneiderman. “A slick advertising campaign doesn’t change the fact that this is illegal activity.”

The report, Airbnb in the City, draws on anonymized data on 497,322 private stays in 35,354 unique places that were for less than 30 days and did not involve a shared room.

The report said the service was dominated by large-scale operators, finding that 6 percent of the hosts made 37 percent of the revenue — or $168 million. The number of units they administered ranged from three to 272. The individual with those 272 units charged an average of $358.19 a night, yielding $6.8 million, the report says.

Some of the large-scale operators that remain are as upset with Airbnb as they are with Mr. Schneiderman. Over a hundred hosts were told by Airbnb over the summer that Mr. Schneiderman had requested information about them, and that the company would turn over the data unless a court prevented it.

A group of the hosts has now filed a lawsuit against Airbnb under the name New Yorkers Trying to Make Ends Meet in the Sharing Economy.

“It is not O.K. for a website that has gathered sensitive personal and financial data in order to market and profit from short-term rentals to turn around and hand this private data over to a politically motivated attorney general, simply to save its own hide,” said the president of the group.

He declined to be identified because he said it would make his properties a target for the regulators. All his units are legal, he said.

even if they don't go after the small operators (they will), killing off the large multiunit setups will absolutely gently caress over airbnb's revenue.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

snow is very nice to look at and isn't terrible if you are in an area where people deal with it a lot and are experienced enough to handle it (snow tires, salting the roads before a storm, etc). driving through it with others honestly isn't that bad if everyone respects how it alters driving conditions

snow is terrible when most people don't do those things and suddenly you have 70+ car pileups on the turnpike

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BbcpKQ2beQ

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

jacobian: So. Caltrain hits a guy, stopping all trains. Uber goes to 3x pricing. Literal profits off death. Yay. http://t.co/ngP38sJGvQ
https://twitter.com/jacobian/status/522555862679060480

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Shifty Pony posted:

even if they don't go after the small operators (they will), killing off the large multiunit setups will absolutely gently caress over airbnb's revenue.

good

i'm all for airbnb when it's one person renting one room but landlords are scum so of course they're going to gently caress it up for everyone else

RZA Encryption posted:

jacobian: So. Caltrain hits a guy, stopping all trains. Uber goes to 3x pricing. Literal profits off death. Yay. http://t.co/ngP38sJGvQ

a company did something bad for more money? well i never

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

RZA Encryption posted:

i got caught up in this

they let us off at the palo alto station and several hundred people started summoning ubers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
New Yorkers Trying to Make Ends Meet in the Sharing Economy.

mods

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

awww yisssss

im going to write an app that lets you share when and where the city inspectors are so you can avoid being caught by their inspections

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

this is like me and umbrellas in rollercoaster tycoon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

wow, a bicyclist dies and uber makes a profit on public transport users. talk about a win-win.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

good

i'm all for airbnb when it's one person renting one room but landlords are scum so of course they're going to gently caress it up for everyone else

I agree, but only for standalone houses. other owners in the building shouldn't have to deal with the externalities just so one person can make a few bucks. but if someone has a spare room or wants to take a vacation but risk their house being turned into an orgy pit then fine.

full time airbnb rentals without the owner living on the lot simply shouldn't exist. people looking for a place to live shouldn't be forced out in order to run an illegal hotel for 4x what normal monthly rent is.

too bad that sort of listing is probably the main source of income for airbnb.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i got caught up in this

they let us off at the palo alto station and several hundred people started summoning ubers

surge pricing bithc

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I agree, but only for standalone houses. other owners in the building shouldn't have to deal with the externalities just so one person can make a few bucks. but if someone has a spare room or wants to take a vacation but risk their house being turned into an orgy pit then fine.

full time airbnb rentals without the owner living on the lot simply shouldn't exist. people looking for a place to live shouldn't be forced out in order to run an illegal hotel for 4x what normal monthly rent is.

too bad that sort of listing is probably the main source of income for airbnb.

:agreed:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in nyc, at least, all the reasonable scenarios for airbnb are already legal:

• if you continue to reside in the apartment and just rent out a spare room, airbnb is perfectly legal. the law assumes that you have an interest in policing your guests' behavior. (however, your homeowner's insurance will probably not cover you for anything that happens. oops)

• if you rent a room for more than 30 days, you're a regular tenant. it's actually illegal for landlords to prohibit subleasing. the law assumes that as a multi-month tenant, you have an interest in not making your neighbors' life hell.

what is actually illegal is the horrible poo poo that no one wants to live near:
  • it's illegal to rent your house out overnight and skip town. (any rental for less than 30 days is illegal unless the owner stays in the unit. folks who rented a hotel room for a night give no fucks if they piss off the neighbors)

• it's illegal to operate an unlicensed hotel in residential area (hotels are regulated for public health reasons, not just to tax them!)

• you can, and should, be evicted if you sub-lease an apartment without informing your landlord. people who pay you money to stay in your house are not "guests," and your landlord has a right to know what's up

• it's illegal (and fraudulent) to rent an apartment to use it commercially instead of as a residence

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 16, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
people who defend airbnb's activities usually don't understand what parts of the law airbnb objects to. hint: the good and reasonable parts

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people who defend airbnb's activities usually don't understand what parts of the law airbnb objects to. hint: the good and reasonable parts

new york is great and schneiderman is great

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

new york is great and schneiderman is great

yeah the new york state a.g. is doing god's work

i liked spitzer, too

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/perk-facebook-apple-now-pay-women-freeze-eggs-n225011

forget childcare, or leave for fathers. forget any hope of work-life balance. we'll pay for you to freeze your eggs, so you can work more now. you can have kids when you're too old for this booming, hip, young industry. we're so progressive!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pointers posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/perk-facebook-apple-now-pay-women-freeze-eggs-n225011

forget childcare, or leave for fathers. forget any hope of work-life balance. we'll pay for you to freeze your eggs, so you can work more now. you can have kids when you're too old for this booming, hip, young industry. we're so progressive!

it was really nice of the news outlets to announce this as a gender equality thing instead of what it actually is, hosed up dystopia in the making.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it is a gender equality thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol if they put a time requirement on it, like, if you want your eggs before you're 40 you have to pay the money back lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

it is a gender equality thing

They're saying "we're going to demand so much of you that you can't expect to have a normal life or reproduce within the usual biological limits." That's super hosed up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

They're saying "we're going to demand so much of you that you can't expect to have a normal life or reproduce within the usual biological limits." That's super hosed up.

have you spoken to a woman about this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
google could become job creators and pay for poor bay residents to be surrogates

Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hmm

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm not a woman

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm convinced that this was implemented under good intentions. Freezing your eggs is incredibly expensive and rarely covered by insurance.

But from a PR perspective, it comes across terribly.

Apr 7, 2003

In what way can a public admission that your employer is going to prevent you from having a personal life until well into your middle years be seen as positive?

If Google and friends gave a poo poo about quality of life for their female employees, they would offer the sort of maternity leave that you see in other developed countries.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

In what way can a public admission that your employer is going to prevent you from having a personal life until well into your middle years be seen as positive?
"a lot of women see a tradeoff between career advancement and birthing children" - a thing that is apparently controversial for you

Apr 7, 2003

Do you not understand what this announcement says about what is expected of employees and the implications that has for quality of life?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

how do you feel about employer health care paying for birth control

Apr 7, 2003

lol, you're trying to rope me into saying something I never said so you can "win."

I'm not saying it's a bad thing because it's inherently a bad thing in isolation, I'm saying it's a bad thing because of what it implies and that it's seen as necessary at all.

you can't be that loving dense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

"a lot of women see a tradeoff between career advancement and birthing children" - a thing that is apparently controversial for you

hmm yes the only solution here is to subject women to a painful medical procedure that will allow them to have kids when they're old and decrepit and too tired to be corporate go getters.

I mean give the person the ability to work from home and be assured that their career will not be crippled by taking a little time off to care for a child??? that's not fair to the drones who work 80 hours a week and live in the ball pit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

hmm yes the only solution here is to subject women to a painful medical procedure that will allow them to have kids when they're old and decrepit and too tired to be corporate go getters.

I mean give the person the ability to work from home and be assured that their career will not be crippled by taking a little time off to care for a child??? that's not fair

excuse me? the "mommy tax" affects my bottom line.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

If Google and friends gave a poo poo about quality of life for their female employees, they would offer the sort of maternity leave that you see in other developed countries.

you mean like the four months paid maternity/paternity leave facebook offers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pr0zac posted:

you mean like the four months paid maternity/paternity leave facebook offers?

lol

• Locked thread