Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Dick Dastardly and Muttley had both visibly aged in the interim.

I caught this, too. The art for them looked really clean, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

That episode is hilarious, by the way. Not for the Towlie bits, but for the other two kids who were like the Loony Tunes gangsters. I'd like to see them return again and do more attempts at killing Jimmy that blow up in their faces while Jimmy is unaware of it

I'm sure this has already been said, but nice call on this.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PostNouveau posted:

I really hate the Rocky and Mugsy characters, so this was a big ol' miss for me.

Shut up Nouveauuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Small White Dragon posted:

[strike]Randy[/strike] Lorde's song is available for download for free from South Park Studios

http://cart.mn/PUSH_song
This rules. I love when they release their one-shot songs. I remember jamming out to "Let's Fighting Love" and "Vote or Die" in high school. It's actually really catchy too. Are most Lorde songs like this? The only one I hear with any regularity is "Royals" which sounds to me, as one poster put it earlier, like "boring noise." Yes I'm old.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Macaluso posted:

Yes.

Wacky Races was a like 70s-80s lovely cartoon that was like Mario Kart with a bunch of different cartoon characters, including Scooby Doo and uhh the cavemen whatever their names were.

The cereal thing was just a reference to kids eating cereal on Saturday mornings and watching cartoons in their PJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGGDKV88Fg

Is it just me or does anyone else think this was a topical reference to the story that's been going around how last weekend was the first weekend without Saturday morning cartoons in like 50 years or something?

There were definitely topical and nostalgic references a plenty in this episode and it was very neatly packaged. That being said, it was ultimately a miss for me, especially following the previous episodes of this season. I hated the Lake Tardicaca episode as well, so maybe it's just me.
The jab at Jimmy Fallon was delicious, though, and I did appreciate the attempt at continuity by throwing in Randy singing the Lorde song and the trans-"ginger" scene.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel like a South Park episode without the boys in it, in some form or fashion.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 17, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Of course it was a topical reference to the end of Saturday Morning Cartoons. Something that had a big impact on the development of the show...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Fantastic episode. If you're not a fan of Wacky Races or Saturday morning cartoons, well, tough poo poo. One of my absolute favorite episodes of South Park is Up The Down Steroid which introduced the Timmy vs Nathan dynamic. Crippled Summer isn't particularly a favorite of mine but that's due to the Towelie portion of the plot; it doesn't really deliver nearly as well as the retard kids - probably the reason Towelie hasn't shown up since iirc.

Based on memory alone I feel like there could have been more hijinks during the Wacky Races segment. The fact that it was included at all had me grinning the entire time.

If a handicapped kid propositioning a transgendered person by asking them "do you want to see my dick?" is too offensive for you then maybe you're watching the wrong show?

Also: Why do people dislike Uber? I live in NYC and it seems like a perfect solution to hailing cabs and riding in lovely conditions. I don't particularly mind regular cabs myself but in some parts of the suburbs it's easier to just call an Uber and be on your way instead of waiting around for a cab that might never show up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also: Why do people dislike Uber? I live in NYC and it seems like a perfect solution to hailing cabs and riding in lovely conditions. I don't particularly mind regular cabs myself but in some parts of the suburbs it's easier to just call an Uber and be on your way instead of waiting around for a cab that might never show up.

It's not so much that regular folks dislike Uber. The issue is that Uber is providing a service in places where that service is regulated, but since they don't call themselves a taxi company, they simply ignore all the regulations. This lowers overhead and allows for lower prices. The argument is that this is unfair, because taxi companies that follow local laws will almost certainly have higher prices because they are following regulations. Following those regulations costs money.

It all rests on the notion that the services offered by these ridesharing companies aren't taxi services, even though they are exactly that in every conceivable way.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I can see the issue there, I suppose. Do those regulations exist for good reason? What are the benefits/drawbacks?

I've gotten into several alcohol-fueled discussions with cabbies on rides home from bars at 2am. Most of them have told me that being a cabby sucks and they make very little money and have to spend a lot of their own money. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the regulations that have been put in place but isn't it rational to think that some things can/should be changed?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Glaciers melt faster than US Law gets updated. . That's barely an exaggeration.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I can see the issue there, I suppose. Do those regulations exist for good reason? What are the benefits/drawbacks?

I've gotten into several alcohol-fueled discussions with cabbies on rides home from bars at 2am. Most of them have told me that being a cabby sucks and they make very little money and have to spend a lot of their own money. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the regulations that have been put in place but isn't it rational to think that some things can/should be changed?

One of the bigger issues is the whole medalion system for cab's, which artificially (politically controlled) limits the numbers of cab's that can operate in certain cities. The payment's for those (most are rented, because they cost a lot, a New York one costs $1.31 million) are what takes up a huge share of the profit for the individual driver.

The episode was great, making GBS threads on unions is never wrong. making GBS threads on unions and Matthew McConaughey in one episode? perfect!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They also shat on their libertarian ideal ride sharing service by admitting its mainly staffed by any retard with a car and a cellphone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShoogaSlim posted:

Uber is built on an inherently unstable foundation and is quite clearly fleecing people until the founders can get out, after which it will die.

Basically:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I will continue to use Uber until it goes away. Never had to argue with an uber driver about anything, yet almost every cab ride I take in Boston I gotta argue with the driver about something. I'll even pay extra not to have to fight with the driver.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fateo McMurray posted:

I will continue to use Uber until it goes away. Never had to argue with an uber driver about anything, yet almost every cab ride I take in Boston I gotta argue with the driver about something. I'll even pay extra not to have to fight with the driver.

In Florida you always have to argue with the driver to pay by credit card. I swear that twice a week I had to tell a cabbie that I don't have cash on me and he gets paid by credit card or nothing at all.

Cab drivers and cab companies are the shittiest things.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's supposedly illegal for a cabbie to refuse credit-card payment in New Orleans, but every loving one of them will claim their machine is busted if you try it.

I can't believe Uber hasn't been run out of every major city considering all the laws they're ignoring.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's supposedly illegal for a cabbie to refuse credit-card payment in New Orleans, but every loving one of them will claim their machine is busted if you try it.

I can't believe Uber hasn't been run out of every major city considering all the laws they're ignoring.

They were declared illegal in Germany (or the Netherlands) and just said "come at us coppers, we're the free market".

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Cabs loving suck, I've never had a good experience in one but Uber isn't great either. Basically people shouldn't leave their houses ever for anything.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I can't imagine how loving spoiled and sheltered you have to be where you expect a cab to do anything more than take you from Point A to Point B. I've never been blown in a cab, but I don't care because I don't get into cabs expecting to get blown. I get into cabs expecting some pissed off foreigner to get me to my destination as quickly and aggressively as possible, and I've never been disappointed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

I can't imagine how loving spoiled and sheltered you have to be where you expect a cab to do anything more than take you from Point A to Point B. I've never been blown in a cab, but I don't care because I don't get into cabs expecting to get blown. I get into cabs expecting some pissed off foreigner to get me to my destination as quickly and aggressively as possible, and I've never been disappointed.
If it wasn't for this word you would have had it, dude. You flew too close to the sun.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

muscles like this? posted:

With all the continuity jokes this season he'll probably pop back up in a later episode.

I bet on it.

I think the quick spot with randy singing "I am Lorde" in the background was a quick "hey were still doing the continuity thing" with out forcing it into the A/B plot.

I do think the next continuity device will revolve either around the portal/McConaughey or the 2.8 Billion dollar summer camp.

Or they could just crap out and have someone taking a Handy cab in background.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I lived in a city with unregulated cabs for a while. From what I've read the experience is comparable to services like Uber.

Seriously had a cab once with holes rusted through the floor in the rear.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Does uber do anything more than take you from A to B? The difference is you can order one from the convenience of your smartphone and pay in advance with credit where a cabbie will straight up LIE to you about his machine not working, or deny you access to the cab if you say you want to go to Brooklyn from Midtown Manhattan at 3am because he doesn't feel like it.

I've taken plenty of cabs and my experience is usually just fine, but I have encountered more than a few where the experience sucked or I was denied access in the first place. Why would you be a cab apologist when there could be a better way?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've taken plenty of cabs and my experience is usually just fine, but I have encountered more than a few where the experience sucked or I was denied access in the first place. Why would you be a cab apologist when there could be a better way?

You must be new to Irish Joe

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

It's illegal here in Boston too. I just don't mention how I'm paying until I get to where I'm going then if they refuse my card say I'll wait while they call the police. Machine seems to work again like magic every time.

Or I can just pay by uber and not have to worry about any of this. Every car I've ever gotten picked up in has been nicer and cleaner than my own car. And almost all the drivers I've talked to are ex-cabbies who like it way better. I'm happy, they're happy, gently caress disgusting cabs and the dumb bullshit cabbies try and pull. I don't care how many regulations they're breaking or how illegal it is. A++ better experience all around.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I thought the episode was fun and silly, but it lacked any teeth at all, really. It started off well enough, taking on why smaller operations are able to compete with taxi cab companies, but then the Elon Musk stuff just didn't fit and they abandoned the whole thing because it obviously got away from them.

The Wacky Races segment was a big hit for me, but everything else seemed like it was either bad set-up or a half-baked statement they abandoned at earliest convenience.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Uber competes with big taxi companies by paying their drivers way less then a traditional taxi and also not reimbursing for any car damages, they also skirt regulations and taxes, they still don't actually make a profit at their current fee structure they are getting by on venture money when that runs out the price will have to go up.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Socialsecurity is right. Uber is completely not making money and relying on VC money to sustain itself. Obviously they are looking to cash out and bro down as per Cartman.

In Singapore, taxis are heavily regulated by the government and Uber is used by our taxi drivers to get customers.

Currently, taxi drivers can get $5 extra per passenger and each passenger gets 25% off his whole fare gotten through Uber. That's about $10 that Uber is giving out per fare and it's not making money at all.

Edit: Also, when did Butters burn the school gym?

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 18, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

jerichojx posted:

Edit: Also, when did Butters burn the school gym?

It's only been alluded to, which makes it all the more funny to me. We can only imagine Butters finally snapping and burning down the school gym, spray-paining "so long, sukkas" on the walls. It happened sometime before "Go Fund Yourself".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, apparently when Stan, Kyle, Cartman, Kenny and Butters decided to do a Start-Up together and the first four just cut ties with the school and their friends, ol' Butters got a little over-enthusiastic about things :3:

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I thought the episode was fun and silly, but it lacked any teeth at all, really. It started off well enough, taking on why smaller operations are able to compete with taxi cab companies, but then the Elon Musk stuff just didn't fit and they abandoned the whole thing because it obviously got away from them.

The Wacky Races segment was a big hit for me, but everything else seemed like it was either bad set-up or a half-baked statement they abandoned at earliest convenience.

Yeah, I was wondering if those cabbies ever talked to the Mayor. The army of Handicar drivers taking out the Tesla D was a nice touch. :)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This season is what half the posters in here have been hoping for, a milquetoast polite critique of popular media and trends going out of its way to not offend anyone. There are highlights and very funny bits as always. But overall it's very pleasant and occasionally funny, rather than unpleasant and often hilarious.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I, personally, am braced for the Fappening episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

echronorian posted:

This season is what half the posters in here have been hoping for, a milquetoast polite critique of popular media and trends going out of its way to not offend anyone. There are highlights and very funny bits as always. But overall it's very pleasant and occasionally funny, rather than unpleasant and often hilarious.

A kid got raped by a man dressed up as a woman and it was played as a Looney Tunes-esque gag. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

echronorian posted:

A Disabled child raped by transgender woman.

This episode is one of the most political one's they've done in ages.

1. It re-frames the Uber VS taxi corporations situation as a battle between an independent entrepreneur and violent unions. Uber is owned by large multinational corporations, including such paragons of entrepreneurial virtue as Goldman Sach's.
2. It supports child labor. In an episode which is anti-union. Unions are the reason child labor was banned.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DivisionPost posted:

A kid got raped by a man dressed up as a woman and it was played as a Looney Tunes-esque gag. What the gently caress are you talking about?

He was asking for it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Umm lol? ?? All I'm saying is watch the Jennifer Lopez episode again and compare it to Lorde. These new episodes are pretty tame in execution.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rob Filter posted:

A Disabled child raped by transgender woman.

This episode is one of the most political one's they've done in ages.

1. It re-frames the Uber VS taxi corporations situation as a battle between an independent entrepreneur and violent unions. Uber is owned by large multinational corporations, including such paragons of entrepreneurial virtue as Goldman Sach's.
2. It supports child labor. In an episode which is anti-union. Unions are the reason child labor was banned.

Well, Timmy did sell the Handicar rights to Elon Musk in the end, so there's that. And Nathan was the only other kid shown as a Handicar driver, but he did that for his own nefarious reasons.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

PostNouveau posted:

I've had that problem. I always make sure to ask in advance, "You take card, right?"

Anyway, there is no new episode this week, the next episode airs on the 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There are people in the UK who didn't ever watch Wacky Races as a kid? I did. :confused:

Far from my personal feelings on the issue, I don't get why the rape joke was necessary. The shark rape scene was a direct "gently caress you" to Comedy Central over the censorship of "201", after all. Also, Nathan being raped by a trans woman kind of flies against the entire previous episode (which skewered the whole "bathroom panic" bullshit). Also, it's a rape joke, which don't tend to be that in vogue any more (if they ever were).

• Locked thread