Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you telling me you have never before given an overly generous estimate on a task?

I give realistic estimates with specifics about what would make things take longer or shorter amounts of time, because that's a forthright way to do business. I do not, as a rule, lie to my clients to give myself extra jack-off time, because I am an honest person. When I go over my estimate due to anything that's my fault, I suck it up and take responsibility, in both the moral and financial sense.

I don't feel these values should be so uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

I give realistic estimates with specifics about what would make things take longer or shorter amounts of time, because that's a forthright way to do business. I do not, as a rule, lie to my clients to give myself extra jack-off time, because I am an honest person. When I go over my estimate due to anything that's my fault, I suck it up and take responsibility, in both the moral and financial sense.

@cityofcalgary posted:

Oct 12
@ENMAX expects the power to be out in area affected by the underground fire for approx four to seven days

@ENMAX posted:

Oct 14
"Power restoration still on track for midday Thursday." Gianna Manes, ENMAX CEO. #yyc

For the sake of your blood pressure, please chill out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

You're a good IT contractor by the sounds of it and I'm sure your business reflects that. Still a resolution time estimate is just that, an estimate, and the 140 character twitter limit or a brief PR statement to the press doesn't give a lot of room for explaining the nuances of the work involved.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One day I wish that I can do all of my banking and government business online, including 'meeting' with a person.

For less than a $100 I can get a web camera with a microphone and a printer and scanner combo.

With that I can then do all of the signing, documenting and authorizing from home while I talk to a bank/government rep on the other side. And since there are always people willing to work evenings and weekends, there would then be unlimited time of which you could then access the information you need.

Just think about it. No more time taken off of work to stand in a drat line just to be told you brought the wrong form signed incorrectly. No more being told you have to wait 7-10 business days for mailed documents. Everything could be done right then and there. No fuss, no exasperated waiting times.

Hell my business gives money to people right now without ever meeting them in person. If my company can do it, why can't the banks and the government do it?

This rant brought to you by a very frustrated cannuck that just wants this loving process to be over with already.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hey, look, political news that isn't a power outage:

Christy Clark's Proposed Policy Overhaul Is Breathtakingly Stupid

quote:

Complaints by public:
99 (1) A person whom the court considers to be an appropriate person to make an
application under this section may apply to the court for an order under this
section on the grounds that a society
(b) is carrying on activities that are detrimental to the public interest.

quote:

The clear intent is to silence and intimidate Canadian conservation and environmental non-profits with the threat of litigation. And if mere threat doesn't work, this legislation enables the corporate sector to bludgeon them into lawsuit bankruptcy.

This proposal is one of the most ill-conceived and draconian initiatives to see the light of day in a modern democracy, and reveals the extent of Clark's captivity by the oil and gas lobby.

In case you find that source somewhat editorialized (it is), here is The Globe & Mail reporting on the topic.

quote:

The groups that have signed the October letter are concerned about a clause – Section 99 of the proposed legislation – that would allow any person whom the court considers “appropriate” to apply for a court order on grounds that a society is carrying on activities “detrimental to the public interest.” Potential litigants could include corporations. Opponents fear the proposal could result in a greater regulatory burden for non-profit groups and more cases for an already overextended legal system.

I am past being surprised at anything the BC Liberals try to pull. But to attempt the outright nullification of the Charter whenever it suits the ruling party, and via such a nefarious little backdoor swindle, is pretty exceptionally outrageous even for these fools.

This province is such a goddamn shithole.

Rime has issued a correction as of 08:26 on Oct 17, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Hey, look, political news that isn't a power outage:

Christy Clark's Proposed Policy Overhaul Is Breathtakingly Stupid

In case you find that source somewhat editorialized (it is), here is The Globe & Mail reporting on the topic.

I am past being surprised at anything the BC Liberals try to pull. But to attempt the outright nullification of the Charter whenever it suits the ruling party, and via such a nefarious little backdoor swindle, is pretty exceptionally outrageous even for these fools.

This province is such a goddamn shithole.

Does anyone think this would withstand a constitutional challenge? If it's as against the Charter as you say, it seems pretty clearcut that it could be challenged, stayed, and eventually annulled by the courts.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, a bird watching grup is the latest political group getting a CRA audit. Holy poo poo, this is literally third world dictator poo poo now.

This really is the most insidious thing Harper is up to right now, everyone lost their poo poo over some superfluous change to copyright law, but Harper is going to freeze out the activity of every environmental advocacy group in Canada.

Meanwhile registered charity the Fraser Institute would never engage in political activity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

You're a good IT contractor by the sounds of it and I'm sure your business reflects that. Still a resolution time estimate is just that, an estimate, and the 140 character twitter limit or a brief PR statement to the press doesn't give a lot of room for explaining the nuances of the work involved.

Actually, Enmax did a good job of explaining what they were doing and how long it was likely to take. They also managed enough humility to actually offer an apology to everyone effected. And they got everything done ahead of schedule! I don't have a problem with how they acted at all. The city itself mishandled nearly everything around it, though, and Nenshi acted like a prick when anyone dared to call him on it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

Actually, Enmax did a good job of explaining what they were doing and how long it was likely to take. They also managed enough humility to actually offer an apology to everyone effected. And they got everything done ahead of schedule! I don't have a problem with how they acted at all. The city itself mishandled nearly everything around it, though, and Nenshi acted like a prick when anyone dared to call him on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg03q100E4g

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

What could Nenshi possibly do that would make you happy? Do you want him to run on a giant hamster wheel hooked up to a generator to power your electronics until his BMI drops below 20?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DynamicSloth posted:

This really is the most insidious thing Harper is up to right now, everyone lost their poo poo over some superfluous change to copyright law, but Harper is going to freeze out the activity of every environmental advocacy group in Canada.

Meanwhile registered charity the Fraser Institute would never engage in political activity.

My thoughts exactly. There are quite a number of Conservative think tanks and organisations of religious origin that need to be audited in the same way for the same reasons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whiskey Sours posted:

What could Nenshi possibly do that would make you happy? Do you want him to run on a giant hamster wheel hooked up to a generator to power your electronics until his BMI drops below 20?

He could stop being such a petty, snarky rear end in a top hat to everyone that disagrees with him (before, of course, eventually stealing the ideas he likes and acting like he agreed with them all along). I hate the way he does politics. It's literally cost our city money because he can't learn to get along with other levels of government and other stakeholders. He's a good politician insofar as he can get elected, but he's a terrible executive. And, yeah, the dude could stand to lose some weight. Pretty much all our politicians could, it's like a parade of fat asses and multitudinous chins every time you see a few of them together. Still, he should do that for himself alone, because it will improve his health and make him feel better.

EDIT: Apparently one of his ideas for creating affordable housing is to ask if landlords, pretty please, could maybe not raise rents? Are you loving kidding? That's a solution? He's simply not a competent administrator, and the sooner we punt him out, the better off we'll be. If he wants, I suppose we can let him stick his face in front of cameras with his godawful smirk, as long as he agrees to never actually do anything and shut up when the grownups are talking.

PT6A has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Oct 17, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

He could stop being such a petty, snarky rear end in a top hat to everyone that disagrees with him (before, of course, eventually stealing the ideas he likes and acting like he agreed with them all along). I hate the way he does politics. It's literally cost our city money because he can't learn to get along with other levels of government and other stakeholders.

examples? (and if that's the worst he can do re: affordable housing you should see what Vancouver can do)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

examples? (and if that's the worst he can do re: affordable housing you should see what Vancouver can do)

I can't offer any concrete examples at the moment, but he's managed to piss off developers, piss off the provincial government, piss off the railroad, and various other groups because he airs his grievances in public and it makes people angry (even if his personality cult enjoys watching it). When he should be in Edmonton kissing rear end for LRT money, among other things, he's instead making an enemy of them and it results in people being less willing to give the city money. I don't have any proof this is the case, as I don't think such proof would even be possible to have (based on knowing what might have happened) but it's at least likely enough that it concerns me. He needs to play the political game, and that includes what you do once you're in power, not just getting elected.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
So in this world you live in, a world where a provincial government is actively disadvantaging the people in a province's largest city because they don't like the mayor, the bad guy is the mayor for not being a kiss-rear end?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

lonelywurm posted:

So in this world you live in, a world where a provincial government is actively disadvantaging the people in a province's largest city because they don't like the mayor, the bad guy is the mayor for not being a kiss-rear end?

Yes? Should it work that way? No, but I'm also realistic enough to know that you're not going to get money, contracts, help, etc. from people if they don't like you. This is as true in politics as it is in every other facet of life. We can talk about how poo poo should work in a hypothetical candyland utopia, where Nenshi would I'm sure be an ideal mayor, or we can talk about how poo poo actually happens in the real world.

I hate the provincial government too, for future reference, but that doesn't absolve Nenshi of responsibility.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

I don't have any proof this is the case, as I don't think such proof would even be possible to have (based on knowing what might have happened) but it's at least likely enough that it concerns me.

Wow if this is the kind of vitriol you spew about someone when you think it's not even possible to have evidence that they're doing anything wrong, I'd hate to see how angry you could get at people who actually do terrible things in the plain sight.

Here, some of these might help.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Oct 17, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

Wow if this is the kind of vitriol you spew about someone when you think it's not even possible to have evidence that they're doing anything wrong, I'd hate to see how angry you could get at people who actually do terrible things in the plain sight.

I have evidence that he's done those things (pissing people off, throwing a tantrum at the railroad), I just can't conclusively prove what the effects are.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yes? Should it work that way? No, but I'm also realistic enough to know that you're not going to get money, contracts, help, etc. from people if they don't like you. This is as true in politics as it is in every other facet of life. We can talk about how poo poo should work in a hypothetical candyland utopia, where Nenshi would I'm sure be an ideal mayor, or we can talk about how poo poo actually happens in the real world.

I hate the provincial government too, for future reference, but that doesn't absolve Nenshi of responsibility.

If one person isn't doing what horrible people want and then the horrible people do horrible things, those things are the fault of the person not doing what they're supposed to do according to those people?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

I have evidence that he's done those things (pissing people off, throwing a tantrum at the railroad), I just can't conclusively prove what the effects are.

that evidence is what I was asking for above really, if you have it I'd like to see it because until then there really isn't much worth discussing about Nenshi (I don't know much of anything about the guy).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

El Scotch posted:

I like my version better.

Also, the Annapolis Valley is lovely; just stay away from Goaler Mountain.

You Goaler.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
By this reasoning, the Federal government spites everyone is the country as every Premier since confederation has found it politically expedient to poke them in the eye.

Grow up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

that evidence is what I was asking for above really, if you have it I'd like to see it because until then there really isn't much worth discussing about Nenshi (I don't know much of anything about the guy).

Nenshi, throwing tantrum over railroad:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Nenshi+blasts+Rail+over+bridge+failure/8587841/story.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/calgary-train-bridge-in-danger-of-collapsing/article12852189/

Nenshi, not working properly with other levels of government:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/R...9524/story.html

Nenshi, wanting unprecedented rights cities after criticizing the province publicly during campaign:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/After+taking+shots+province+during+campaign+Nenshi+optimistic+about+relations/9067287/story.html

Nenshi, souring relationships with homebuilders and getting sued as a result:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/naheed-nenshi-to-be-sued-by-home-builder-over-godfather-comments-1.2428488

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

lonelywurm posted:

This actually happens in the Canadian political system. It's basically why Toronto has been so under served by the federal government. If the Liberals win the next election you can bet your rear end they'll give some money to build transit in Toronto. Provincial and Federal governments tend to reward municipalities and ridings that supported them electorally. If Nenshi is seen as the enemy, it would not be unreasonable to think that the Provincial government neglects Calgary.

Whether that is the case or not, I don't know.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Only that last link makes Nenshi out to be at all unreasonable, and even that is more like he's being a dink because of the ridiculous accusation that he paid people to oppose him.

I think you just really hate Naheed Nenshi and are reading massively into things he does to find the supervillain you want him to be, guy.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Panas posted:

This actually happens in the Canadian political system. It's basically why Toronto has been so under served by the federal government. If the Liberals win the next election you can bet your rear end they'll give some money to build transit in Toronto. Provincial and Federal governments tend to reward municipalities and ridings that supported them electorally. If Nenshi is seen as the enemy, it would not be unreasonable to think that the Provincial government neglects Calgary.

Whether that is the case or not, I don't know.
My point isn't, "this doesn't happen" (though PT6A openly admits he has no evidence for his assertion, so there's actually no reason to think it is happening here). My point is that the bad guy in all this is not the mayor who dares to not suck the premier's dick hard enough, and making them out to be while ignoring the petty fucks who are the real problem is pretty dumb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Only that last link makes Nenshi out to be at all unreasonable, and even that is more like he's being a dink because of the ridiculous accusation that he paid people to oppose him.

I think you just really hate Naheed Nenshi and are reading massively into things he does to find the supervillain you want him to be, guy.

I think going on a social media rant about the railroad without the faintest loving understanding of how/why it is the way it is, and pissing them off to the point they're completely unwilling to play ball on other issues like the noise created by the Inglewood rail yard, is pretty unreasonable. Even if it's not unreasonable, it's poo poo politics.

We didn't elect Nenshi to be the Grand Arbiter of What's Reasonable, we elected him to be an effective politician and administrator and his behaviour is counter-productive to that, even when he's in the right.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PT6A posted:

I think going on a social media rant about the railroad without the faintest loving understanding of how/why it is the way it is, and pissing them off to the point they're completely unwilling to play ball on other issues like the noise created by the Inglewood rail yard, is pretty unreasonable. Even if it's not unreasonable, it's poo poo politics.

We didn't elect Nenshi to be the Grand Arbiter of What's Reasonable, we elected him to be an effective politician and administrator and his behaviour is counter-productive to that, even when he's in the right.

You are probably the most bizzaro Nenshi opponent I've ever seen bro. The guy does a pretty consistently good job of things.I mean criticize him on his politics I guess, but the guy having a twitter account doesn't exactly turn him into a crybaby...

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Every time I've met Nenshi he has been a super cool dude and I'll vote for him again you might be the first person I've seen who hates him, congrats I guess.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Then again if my opinion is opposite of yours I know I'm doing the right thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can I rant endlessly about how much I hate Victoria mayor Dean Fortin and how he's a dangerous incompetent only held in power because he did the correct paperwork to get official NDP backing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Can I rant endlessly about how much I hate Victoria mayor Dean Fortin and how he's a dangerous incompetent only held in power because he did the correct paperwork to get official NDP backing?

Go for it! What dangerous and/or stupid things has he been doing?

I think, with all the focus on Mayor Ford, we seem to forget that pretty much every mayor in the country is a complete fuckin' nitwit.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Jesus, at this rate we'll need a Calgary Politics thread.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I have some choice words about Montreal's fragrant collection of asses it has called mayors in the last 20 years, but I don't especially hate any of them. I can't even imagine hating as intensely as PT6A does.

PT6A posted:

I think, with all the focus on Mayor Ford, we seem to forget that pretty much every mayor in the country is a complete fuckin' nitwit.

Though I agree with this sentiment.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey, Jim Watson has a buzzfeed article about how awesome he ism

So...yeah...kinda undercut myself there.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Baronjutter posted:

How come? I am actually really interested

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ceciltron posted:

I have some choice words about Montreal's fragrant collection of asses it has called mayors in the last 20 years, but I don't especially hate any of them. I can't even imagine hating as intensely as PT6A does.

At least there's a hilarious mountain of evidence that Montreal mayors have been corrupt. Although it's gotten to the point where you expect it, and all the frontrunners in Montreal mayoral elections were the corrupt guy, the woman? who thought 911 was an inside job, and someone else who was nuts.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad posted:

At least there's a hilarious mountain of evidence that Montreal mayors have been corrupt. Although it's gotten to the point where you expect it, and all the frontrunners in Montreal mayoral elections were the corrupt guy, the woman? who thought 911 was an inside job, and someone else who was nuts.

At what point do we change Montreal's election terms to be 3 years as mayor, followed by a 2 year stint in jail because you know what you did? A bit like what they do for the Governorship of Illinois.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's easy to start hating people like I do. Just try to live a normal life, and count every goddamn time your life is obstructed by someone careless, stupid, selfish, mean, lazy, or a combination of all of the above. Eventually, it will occur to you so often that you're on a hair trigger and you can easily, easily start hating someone just for forgetting to return a phone call in a timely fashion. Then notice that, hey, even the mayor is doing it, and leading to a culture where it's not only acceptable, but recommended!

Sometime I think: why don't I just become a lazy fuckin' drunk who has no personal standards or integrity? Everyone else seems to be doing it, why am I busting my rear end?

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Time to go re-stock my fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey, Jim Watson has a buzzfeed* article about how awesome he ism

So...yeah...kinda undercut myself there.

*user-submitted**

"BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations"

**by a Liberal

Dreylad posted:

I don't remember Côté being nuts, but he was a gross right-wing technocrats running for a party of péquistes, and they were united only by their common hatred of Denis Coderre. It wasn't a great campaign.

• Locked thread