Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Onmi posted:

No she just spends her days hiding around the corner wanting Naruto to notice her, she's overly shy and dainty in a way that's personally annoying to me. And as for her fight with Neji, it was the one moment in the series. Everyone got at least one. No I don't count the thing that happens in the future, she ran forward and then got bitch-slapped essentially. Now while you spin it in a way that she's a good character, when it comes to the writing itself she's just complete bluh. When she appears at all. I mean... that's everyone in this hole of a story.

I saw an episode of that Rock Lee spinoff which amped her up to full blown stalker going Fatal Attraction on him. That was pretty funny and an improvement.

Like most things in the Rock Lee spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Temari is the only decently written female in the series with B-character or better status.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

More because she almost never appears? :v:

I mean, at least she does stuff when she does get brought up to the task. So far as I'm aware (from Pins' thread for this game's sequel), that fight with Sasori is literally the last time Sakura is majorly relevant to the outcome of any fight or battle for the rest of the series.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

More because she almost never appears? :v:

I mean, at least she does stuff when she does get brought up to the task. So far as I'm aware (from Pins' thread for this game's sequel), that fight with Sasori is literally the last time Sakura is majorly relevant to the outcome of any fight or battle for the rest of the series.

Not quite.
So there's his medical ninja oath thing that basically says that medical ninja like Sakura shouldn't fight except under very specific circumstances. So she technically shouldn't have had the Sasori fight, but extenuating circumstances etc etc. She just follows that oath most of the time, so her fighting time is diminished. It's not gone entirely, though, and she does help in some of the most recent chapters.

Anyways, it's Thursday, which means it's...

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Naruto and Sakura are assigned a new mission, as well as a new team while Kakashi is out of commission! Will personalities collide as they're forced to work together, or can they put aside their differences for the sake of their work?

New Characters This Episode

Sai
Also known as the Okami Ninja. Emotionless and distant, his social awkwardness and lack of grace tends to give off a poor first impression. However, his lack of emotions gives him increased awareness and observation in battle. His main skill lies in his drawing ability; by using his ninja magic scroll and drawing on it, he can make any of his drawings come to life. He can use this for battle, sealing, or even general utility.

Yamato
Ninja black ops member and temporary leader for Team 7. A calm and stoic character, he is cautious in his work and does all he can to prepare for any possibilities in a mission. His main ability is his wood-element ninjutsu, which he can use by combining earth element in one hand and water in another. He can both force plant growth with this ability as well as transform his cells into a source of plant life. He can also produce wooden tendrils from his body in order to create durable clones. These wood-element techniques are otherwise unique to the First Hokage.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Wow, wasn't sure if anyone else remembered B-Daman.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

New Characters This Episode

Sai Okami Ninja
Also known as the Okami Ninja Sai. Emotionless and distant, his social awkwardness and lack of grace tends to give off a poor first impression. However, his lack of emotions gives him increased awareness

Now all is right. Thanks for the update.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Poor Yamato, doesn't even get a team named after him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I actually enjoy Naruto more when they focus on lore and how ninja's supernatural powers and chakra work. "Mix these natures together to get this, these natures are incompatible," etc. Some of the ways the techniques are used are not only entertaining, but clever. I actually still watch and like the anime--I mean, I turn my mind off a little when I watch anime ANYWAY, so not much about the series has bothered me that much.

I do agree with others, though. The time jump accelerated "power levels," so some new technique or skill gets about 5 minutes screen time before it's outmatched and something else new has to come along. Some enemies and allies didn't get nearly enough screen time for how important or renown they are.

When I think about this show and wasted potential, I think of The Legend of Korra and Bleach and realize it could have been much, much worse.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
Did they write out Sakura's part in the scene with Sai? Poor girl gets hardly any plot focus as it is without having one of her few moments of awesome left out.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, a bit late but...

Pyrotoad posted:

I wonder if Okami Ninja has ever summoned a dickbutt?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

ChorpSaway posted:

Not quite.
So there's his medical ninja oath thing that basically says that medical ninja like Sakura shouldn't fight except under very specific circumstances. So she technically shouldn't have had the Sasori fight, but extenuating circumstances etc etc. She just follows that oath most of the time, so her fighting time is diminished. It's not gone entirely, though, and she does help in some of the most recent chapters.

That's the in-canon explanation. The actual reason is that Kishimoto cannot write a good female character to save his life. Hinata basically gets two good moments in the entire manga and is otherwise useless, Sakura has already been discussed, Ino and Tenten are even more useless than Hinata, and let's not even mention a certain redhead that I don't think shows up in this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For as much skin as Sai shows, you'd think he wouldn't be so pale. Dude's like Wii Fit Trainer white.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

kvx687 posted:

Let's not even mention a certain redhead that I don't think shows up in this game.

Ah. Would that be the girl who's superpower basically encourages people to abuse her in a fetishistic way :( ?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 18, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

kvx687 posted:

That's the in-canon explanation. The actual reason is that Kishimoto cannot write a good female character to save his life. Hinata basically gets two good moments in the entire manga and is otherwise useless, Sakura has already been discussed, Ino and Tenten are even more useless than Hinata, and let's not even mention a certain redhead that I don't think shows up in this game.

If I'm thinking of the same character (and there aren't many redheads in the series) she shows up later. It's not much, but she is certainly present.

As such, it would be preferred that you either spoiler that or remove it. We can talk about that character after she shows up!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god that Sasuke "first day of school" intro was hilarious. (Every time I hear any piece of Sasuke backstory, all I can think of is my favorite Naruto fanart ever:)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

kvx687 posted:

Honestly, I think it makes sense to make sure that your magic healers aren't the ones getting stabbed with knives so they're capable of healing the ones that are.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Honestly, I think it makes sense to make sure that your magic healers aren't the ones getting stabbed with knives so they're capable of healing the ones that are.
Only one of those characters is a healer, as far as I know.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nihilarian posted:

Only one of those characters is a healer, as far as I know.

Yeah, I was just responding to the first line, not the post in general.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Oh my god that Sasuke "first day of school" intro was hilarious. (Every time I hear any piece of Sasuke backstory, all I can think of is my favorite Naruto fanart ever:)

holy poo poo that is amazing. Is that what Itachi actually says?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

That's a good point, but in that case you've kinda got to wonder about why the two best medical ninja in the series are the ones with super strength. Seems counterproductive to that whole not get directly involved in fights thing.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's a good point, but in that case you've kinda got to wonder about why the two best medical ninja in the series are the ones with super strength. Seems counterproductive to that whole not get directly involved in fights thing.

Personally, what bugs the crud out of me is that the whole "Medical Ninja's Can't Fight" basically nullifies all of that hard work and training Sakura did with Tsunade. I mean jeez, the Sakura flashback makes this big thing about how she practically destroys her body with all that hard training, because she doesn't want to be a burden to people, and because she wants to hold her own in a fight. And so she goes through all that hard work...

And now, she can't...actually do anything with all that training she had? So it's like "Jee, what was the point of all THAT then"?! I mean, I'm not mad about it or anything since I haven't watched the show since like...the Chunin Exam, but, still...:smugjones:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 18, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Personally, what bugs the crud out of me is that the whole "Medical Ninja's Can't Fight" basically nullifies all of that hard work and training Sakura did with Tsunade. I mean jeez, Sakura goes on and on in that flashback about how she doesn't want to be a burden to people, that she doesn't want to be baggage, that she wants to hold her own in a fight, so she goes through ALL that hard work...

And now, she can't...actually do anything with all that training she had? So it's like "Jee, what was the point of all THAT then"?!

Exactly, i'm pretty sure the whole 'can't fight' thing is just an excuse for Kishi to not have Sakura do more stuff, since he has huge problems in keeping characters relevant. I don't know if this is a spoiler but, our new team is a perfect example of this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Herr Tog posted:

holy poo poo that is amazing. Is that what Itachi actually says?
Yes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kvx687 posted:

To be 100% completely fair. He can't write a good MALE character to save his life either. Rock Lee and Might Guy were happy accidents. That's not to invalidate anything you're saying, I just love pointing out that Kishimoto just sucks completely.

Like how Naruto and Sasuke have this deep friendship based on the ONE MISSION they worked together on (Incidentally, still the best part of the Naruto manga) because Kakashi went "Nope, taking him away for private training."

From which point on Sasuke and Naruto hardly speak or do anything, so they had one moment to establish a friendship and well... Kishimoto can't write for poo poo.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

Like how Naruto and Sasuke have this deep friendship based on the ONE MISSION they worked together on...

Well, to be fair, a lot happened on that one mission. Like the two saving each other's lives. And then there was the Forest of Death in the Chunin exam, where they overcame some pretty tough odds together.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah but then Sasuke literally punches a hole through Naruto's chest and runs off to be with the villages worst enemy. It's kind of weird that the obsession has seemingly grown over time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Naruto instantly forms an S-link with anyone who he discovers is an orphan like he is, or who otherwise was shunned in their childhood like he was. He was *just* about to max his S-link with Sasuke before it got inverted. He really just wants to track down Sasuke to fix that poo poo, he hasn't been able to fuse Fool Personas for poo poo since.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The biggest problem with Naruto was its linear and overarching plot that kicked into gear like immediately. Everything about the series would have made a lot more sense if it had focused on the various ninja teams going on miscellaneous (but interesting) missions for a long time first. The setting and characters never really get a chance to just be there and interest you and interact, the plot is always dragging everything forward in newer and dumber ways.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, we begin our covert ops mission on Tenchi Bridge! Yamato seems to have a plan for the team, but will they be able to get the information they want from Sasori's informant, or is Team 7 in for troubled waters?
This episode is a real treet, if nothing else.

Characters Introduced This Episode

Kabuto Yakushi
Former member of the Hidden Leaf Village, former spy for Sasori, and current underling to Orochimaru. Since he was a child, he has been used as a spy, and so he has developed a cold and uncaring personality, as well as strong espionage abilities. His specialty is in medical techniques, to the point where he has developed the unique ability to “reactivate” dead cells in order to create new ones. He also is well-versed in poison and drug creation.

Orochimaru
A high-ranking rogue ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village, known as one of the Legendary Three Ninja for his incredible skill. Orochimaru is a major villain who has affected much of the development of the story since the third arc of the first series. He is a sadistic and reckless character with a god complex, due to his sheer skill and his ability to “steal” other people’s bodies to give him a form of immortality. He has an incredible arsenal of ninja techniques and an affinity for snakes, which allows him to summon snakes from his body. He has also done various body modifications to himself, which has allowed him to contort and extend his body freely; it also gives him other snake-like abilities such as being able to shed his skin to heal injuries.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Huh, they cut out the whole 'Using the Ninetails to that level makes all his skin burn off' thing, and Naruto injuring Sakura while he rampaged. Probably for the best on the former, just in terms of graphical limitations, but the latter was a pretty important scene.

That's not as important though as finally meeting the best villain in the series :allears:

Voiced by the guy who's in every videogame and anime ever, Steven Blum! I can't say I've heard this sinister part of his range anywhere else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The secret to Steve Blum is he actually has hella range, but everyone just wants him to be Spike or Wolverine. Also, it's sad that he's union now and doesn't do much anime anymore. His last anime role I can think of was Jake Martinez in Tiger & Bunny, and you can usually hear in in incidental roles in Regular Show and those Adult Swim restaurant ads with the stick figure dude.

And Toonami, of course.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Waffleman_ posted:

The secret to Steve Blum is he actually has hella range, but everyone just wants him to be Spike or Wolverine. Also, it's sad that he's union now and doesn't do much anime anymore. His last anime role I can think of was Jake Martinez in Tiger & Bunny, and you can usually hear in in incidental roles in Regular Show and those Adult Swim restaurant ads with the stick figure dude.

And Toonami, of course.

True, wasn't he also Guilmon in the third season of Digimon?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I wish we had actual Okami Ninja. With a speaking-mouth bug and everything.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
The only reason I'm waiting for Sasuke to appear is because his voice actor speaks fluent Japanese and he is the only one so far who can say everyone's names without me wincing. I love everyone's work but I just can't listen to "SakooRa" without frowning a bit.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Huh, they cut out the whole 'Using the Ninetails to that level makes all his skin burn off' thing, and Naruto injuring Sakura while he rampaged. Probably for the best on the former, just in terms of graphical limitations, but the latter was a pretty important scene.

They did show that though, you could see the skin on his hand burning off at the start of the transformation.

Also never stop with the puns.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Ah, Orochimaru. The biggest cross-dresser in Naruto. Except, instead of regular suits, he wears people suits :gonk: .

Anyways, love Steve Blume as Orochimaru...I don't remember his voice acting being that good! Dude sounds awesome AND sounds like he's having a blast doing this role as well! Love those slight flamboyant touches he puts on some of his lines. Just the right amount of narcissism and condescension, but not so much that he sounds too feminine or anything.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Charlett posted:

The only reason I'm waiting for Sasuke to appear is because his voice actor speaks fluent Japanese and he is the only one so far who can say everyone's names without me wincing. I love everyone's work but I just can't listen to "SakooRa" without frowning a bit.

On the contrary, whenever Sasuke says "Narrrutoh" in the show I cringe so hard my skin turns inside-out.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
This is true, but I am betting it's mostly because that's how everyone has been pronouncing it in the show up until now so the director specifically asked him to go with what everyone else did; in other things and times he does very well.

You're right though, those hard Rs from everyone get increasingly grating the longer you listen to it. I try to ignore it but it just seems to stick out more.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

And Toonami, of course.
I mean, it's unfortunate that you don't hear as much of him anymore, but prominent VAs like Steve Blum joining it is the only way that the union will ever gain any traction in the voice acting industry. Considering how lovely the majority of voice acting jobs are, that would be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I know everyone loves the Steve Blum Sound, but today we need to let another actor shine: Yuri Lowenthal!

Today, in the wake of Naruto's freak-out and Sai's sudden betrayal, the remnants of the new new Team 7 enter Orochimaru's hideout in the hopes of finding Sasuke and bringing him back home. Will Naruto and friends be able to traverse the serpentine maze? How far will Sai's new allegiance go? Can Sasuke be saved, or has he already severed his bond with the Hidden Leaf Village? Find out now in the exciting conclusion to Chapter 2: Their Reunion!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Sasuke Uchiha
A former member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Ninja Team 7 and Orochimaru’s current student. He stands as Naruto’s rival right from the start and that position hasn’t changed. After his brother Itachi killed off the rest of his clan, Sasuke swore revenge on Itachi and began to train for the day the two would meet. He is cold and distant, focused only on doing whatever it takes to become stronger. After seeing Naruto quickly reach Sasuke’s level of ability and strength, Sasuke abandoned his team to join Orochimaru, who promised him the power to defeat Itachi. Since then, he has been in hiding, training for the day he meets his brother again. He also got a sword at some point to augment his lightning jutsus.

• Locked thread