Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Narciss posted:

In early middle school I came up with the theory that I was the only "real" person (i.e./e.g. a conscious individual with subjective experiences) that existed. Nowadays I know this is an extant theory called "Solipsism", but I had invented it independently of any outside philosophical influences.

good work inventing crap as a child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you can see where he squeezed it no doubt twiddling it in a cliched poor imitation of groucho marx earlier

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
just so you know narciss basically everyone did that

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Accept the only truth.

Allah is the only god and Muhammad is his prophet.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I didn't do that until after i learnt about solipsism

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

im too depressed to be nihilist

That means you're a pessimist. Nothing matters, and that's depressing.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i didn't think i was the only one to exist, but that question wasn't the forefront on my mind. i wanted to know why i existed at all as a child. my question was "why do i see out of my own eyes and not someone else's"? i still haven't gotten that question answered but it seems less important now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tautologicus posted:

i didn't think i was the only one to exist, but that question wasn't the forefront on my mind. i wanted to know why i existed at all as a child. my question was "why do i see out of my own eyes and not someone else's"? i still haven't gotten that question answered but it seems less important now.

How do you know you're not seeing out of someone else's eyes?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

OP is a gay furry whos admitted having fascist sympathies. If thats not proof that theres no order or reason to reality, then I don't know what is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tautologicus posted:

This sort of question is what convinces me that the entire philosophical branches of metaphysics and ontology are basically completely pointless. Any time you really come up with an interesting question, it turns out that it's fundamentally unknowabley. Philosophers ought to just quit their jobs and become engineers or something.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

How do you know you're not seeing out of someone else's eyes?

ya maybe my premise was wrong. maybe the whole issue is that i am seeing out of someone else's eyes.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

This sort of question is what convinces me that the entire philosophical branches of metaphysics and ontology are basically completely pointless. Any time you really come up with an interesting question, it turns out that it's fundamentally unknowabley. Philosophers ought to just quit their jobs and become engineers or something.

Only philosopher I really listen to is Wittgenstein. He says those kinds of questions are only misunderstandings created by unexamined use of language and I believe that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tautologicus posted:

Only philosopher I really listen to is Wittgenstein. He says those kinds of questions are only misunderstandings created by unexamined use of language and I believe that.
I don't. I think Quine did everything Wittgenstein did except better, but that's just me.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't. I think Quine did everything Wittgenstein did except better, but that's just me.

yea well i think theyre both fuckin nerds so put that in your pipe and smoke it poindexter

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

I never got the sense that Quine ever had a burning desire for the truth like Wittgenstein did, he just wanted a career in philosophy, tenure at Harvard and an autobiography and everything. I read his autobiography, he led a boring life but he seemed to think it was worth writing about. Wittgenstein did way more poo poo because he actually had passion (and torment) and that is rare. Well maybe not the torment part. But the two combined.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

I never got the sense that Quine ever had a burning desire for the truth like Wittgenstein did, he just wanted a career in philosophy, tenure at Harvard and an autobiography and everything. I read his autobiography, he led a boring life but he seemed to think it was worth writing about. Wittgenstein did way more poo poo because he actually had passion (and torment) and that is rare. Well maybe not the torment part. But the two combined.
What's that got to do with anything, though? They're philosophers, not rock musicians. It doesn't matter how boring their lives were, only who got it right in the end.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I doubt many people (or are they? :D) did it as early as I did (elementary school).

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

What's that got to do with anything, though? They're philosophers, not rock musicians. It doesn't matter how boring their lives were, only who got it right in the end.

Do you actually believe this..first of all, Wittgenstein's entire approach was based in knowing you can never "get it right in the end", philosophy was a constant process, like using a machete to cut down the constant encroach of jungle kudzu. There was nothing to get right except the initial perspective. Secondly, I think finding someone who spent their life and even sacrificed for the truth is worthy and noble and even necessary. Thirdly I admire Wittgenstein, and I think of Quine as just another paper pusher. I see a stark difference between the two. I don't see philosophy or any endeavor as some blind computational dry thing to do without considering why or what for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Passion makes for great productions, but paper pushers are the ones that actually get stuff done. If Wittgenstein really thought there was no right answer to find, then he was either stupider than I thought or actively wasting his time on something he believed was fruitless. But that's just me. I always thought that the romanticized approach to philosophy was very self-indulgent and childish.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Narciss posted:

I doubt many people (or are they? :D) did it as early as I did (elementary school).

i dunno i thought about it a lot as a kid but realized it was really dumb when i was 11ish

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I tried reading Nietzsche once and it was like reading reddit so I stopped.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nietzsche married a horse! I heard it in high school

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Narciss posted:

my apotheosis started in pre-k, human being

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Cardiovorax posted:

If Wittgenstein really thought there was no right answer to find, then he was either stupider than I thought or actively wasting his time on something he believed was fruitless.

That doesn't necessarily logically follow. It could be that there is no right answer to find because it is humans that generate meaning. In that case meaning is subscriptive but not empty; and the attempt to add meaning to otherwise meaningless events is an end unto itself. An animal cannot show mercy, for they do not have a concept to act on. Without the idea that evil should be punished, there can be no justice. There are obviously things in this world that cannot even be envisioned until a corresponding concept has been thunk up. Whether those concepts have any rationally observable truth to them in the first place is almost irrelevant.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Passion makes for great productions, but paper pushers are the ones that actually get stuff done. If Wittgenstein really thought there was no right answer to find, then he was either stupider than I thought or actively wasting his time on something he believed was fruitless. But that's just me. I always thought that the romanticized approach to philosophy was very self-indulgent and childish.

You are not understanding what I am saying about Wittgenstein and being antagonistic and trivial while doing so. Why should anyone talk with you on this subject. Most of what I see you post on this forum is similar. Why should I meet you at your level. I could respond and say "no, it's not true because of this and this" but I will get poo poo in return. This flippant poo poo. Of course philosophy matters but you don't seem to see the first thing about it, you actually have to want to understand something for yourself, not to "get stuff done". Get stuff done for what? For what purpose? Contributing to an abstract society that you never actually see? Or do you do it for you, and take others along if you can or want to. That's what Wittgenstein was about. He actually wanted to know what was going on. He spent his life doing it. He was consumed by it. This trivial poo poo you're on is grating to be honest.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tautologicus posted:

You are not understanding what I am saying about Wittgenstein and being antagonistic and trivial while doing so. Why should anyone talk with you on this subject. Most of what I see you post on this forum is similar. Why should I meet you at your level. I could respond and say "no, it's not true because of this and this" but I will get poo poo in return. This flippant poo poo. Of course philosophy matters but you don't seem to see the first thing about it, you actually have to want to understand something for yourself, not to "get stuff done". Get stuff done for what? For what purpose? Contributing to an abstract society that you never actually see? Or do you do it for you, and take others along if you can or want to. That's what Wittgenstein was about. He actually wanted to know what was going on. He spent his life doing it. He was consumed by it. This trivial poo poo you're on is grating to be honest.

*nod*

We're talking about big concepts here; life and love and death and poo poo. Get out of here with your trivial b*llshit that doesn't excite my undergrad sensibilities. Now if you'll excuse me, I have philosophy to do.

*asks a nonsensical question* *builds off of flawed premises for decades with otherwise sound logic*

----------------

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What does it matter if you do philosophy if it doesn't affect your life? Or more to the point, consume it? I have never had any clue how these people who are trying "to get stuff done" philosophically, what they are doing. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tautologicus posted:

What does it matter if you do philosophy if it doesn't affect your life? Or more to the point, consume it? I have never had any clue how these people who are trying "to get stuff done" philosophically, what they are doing. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

If you want to ask meaningless questions like "whats the meaning of life" and then sit around tapping your foot with your hand on your chin for 40 years that's fine, just don't try and pretend it's going to benefit anyone.

----------------

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

*nod*

We're talking about big concepts here; life and love and death and poo poo. Get out of here with your trivial b*llshit that doesn't excite my undergrad sensibilities. Now if you'll excuse me, I have philosophy to do.

*asks a nonsensical question* *builds off of flawed premises for decades with otherwise sound logic*

Oh I wasn't talking about my question anymore. Was talking about Wittgenstein's approach and how it is so quickly misunderstood. Philosophy is a constant process..confusion creeps up on you. It is not building towards anything. And problems arise when you think you are. Towards some philosophical theory of everything. He saw it in the later part of his life as "tidying up a room" and nothing more.

Narciss posted:

If you want to ask meaningless questions like "whats the meaning of life" and then sit around tapping your foot with your hand on your chin for 40 years that's fine, just don't try and pretend it's going to benefit anyone.

I agree with you and I never ever said that in this thread. That has nothing to do with Wittgenstein either. He saw those questions as philosophically meaningless. All philosophical questions stem from some confusion (within language) or another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's really your own fault for expecting a deep and meaningful discussion on philosophy in GBS. I'm killing time and you're easy to gently caress with, get over yourself.

Nathilus posted:

That doesn't necessarily logically follow. It could be that there is no right answer to find because it is humans that generate meaning. In that case meaning is subscriptive but not empty; and the attempt to add meaning to otherwise meaningless events is an end unto itself. An animal cannot show mercy, for they do not have a concept to act on. Without the idea that evil should be punished, there can be no justice. There are obviously things in this world that cannot even be envisioned until a corresponding concept has been thunk up. Whether those concepts have any rationally observable truth to them in the first place is almost irrelevant.
I'd expect a logician and philosopher of mathematics to be more concerned about that sort of thing, but maybe I'm biased there. The ones I know personally certainly tend to have strong opinions, one way or another. It seems to come with the STEM field.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really your own fault for expecting a deep and meaningful discussion on philosophy in GBS. I'm killing time and you're easy to gently caress with, get over yourself.

You're not loving with me...you never ironipost that I can see. You actually believe what you say and are wielding it like a blunt cudgel. And I'm not expecting further conversation, I am only responding to what I see. If it stops it stops.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently I'm having a bad day. Anyway Nietszche also led a boring life but he was great in his mind, and on paper. He's someone who really wanted to live, whether that is a meaningful thing to say or not, we're all living.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i can't stop silently screaming
i don't even want help at this point

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't even responding to the content as much as the tone, Cardiovorax.. Why should anyone try to have a conversation with a pissy child. If you're not trying to talk about it, why post? Saying the first tactless and thoughtless poo poo that comes to mind and expecting someone to ride it through cause you're just ~*so worth it*~? Get over yourself, actually.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tautologicus posted:

Apparently I'm having a bad day. Anyway Nietszche also led a boring life but he was great in his mind, and on paper. He's someone who really wanted to live, whether that is a meaningful thing to say or not, we're all living.

i think he stands as a pretty prime example of what not to do. thought is an asset but it can also be a trap, and a cage. if he hadn't spent all of his time up in nihilism orthanc and had instead explored the vastness of middle-earth he might not have turned out as such a douche.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Actually I should have been more fair to Quine above but I don't even see how. He was an academic niche philosopher. He and Wittgenstein are not even in the same realm. Like they're not even doing the same thing, Quine is just following in one part of Wittgenstein's footsteps (analytic linguistic philosophy), but ignoring what actually drove Wittgenstein (a religious sentiment if anything).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

You're not loving with me...you never ironipost that I can see. You actually believe what you say and are wielding it like a blunt cudgel. And I'm not expecting further conversation, I am only responding to what I see. If it stops it stops.
Oh, I do.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
you both suck

• Locked thread