Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Here are mine out for what may be the last time this year. Gotta get them cleaned up before the long winter nap.

The VFR has about 38k on it and I've had it for about 3 years. In that time I've managed to modify pretty much everything that doesn't involve pulling the engine. I did have to pull the throttle bodies because last winter mice ate part of the injector harness. Suspension is from Daugherty Motorsports, with rebuilt fork internals and a modified CBR929 rear shock to replace the original. Other things are lowered pegs, Galfer brake lines, PC III, Motion Pro shift kit, Delkevic exhaust, and other random farkles.

The Blackbird I just picked up this August for $2000 after posting about it in either the "Tell me what bike to buy" or the "Let's invest in motorcycles" thread. It's 2000, so it's the first year with fuel injection and it's just coming up on 9000 miles. Side fairings are bad aftermarket replacements since it got backed into and knocked over at some point. The tail is original, and I think the nose is as well. It passed through at least 2 owners who lost various pieces and fasteners and finally got traded in to a car dealer who didn't know what to do with it either.

Cosmetics on the Blackbird aside, I love it. It's like a motorcycle version of a BMW M5. Smooth, powerful, comfortable.... I can see how some people might even consider it boring since it does anything you want with pretty much no drama. Sock mufflers are too quiet tho. Suspension definitely needs a little work too - it's a little squishy since Hondas seem to be set up for people who weigh 160 pounds. Luckily (not for my wallet), Daugherty just released a kit for the Blackbird too, so that will probably happen early spring.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's a sweet bird.

I got myself a VTR1000 and it was a toss up between that and the Blackbird. The only reason I didn't get the Blackbird was because I couldn't find one without a million K's already put on it. Lucky sunnuva gun.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

New motorcycle time:

Husqvarna Strada with 0 miles. The seller bought it this March and put it directly into a storage unit with some kind of undefined plans to ride it for a couple years and then cannibalize the front end for some other BMW project. Then he decided that he wasn't really going to ride it at all and just wanted to sell it to someone who would. It's totally untouched since he bought it.

I talked to the original dealer and they said they'd honor the warranty through next March. They're an independent Husky dealer and have said they're committed to supporting every model they've sold, which supposedly not all the dealers of these are doing. They also said that this has happened multiple times with this seller. He'll buy a bike that he gets a good deal on, doesn't ride it, and then sell it at a loss a year later.

I have to wait until next weekend to pick it up because it was never registered and I need to rent a truck to bring it home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wow that's great! How are the tyres? If it literally sat without moving they're probably flat-spotted, unless he went to the trouble of turning them every couple of weeks (he didn't).

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah son!

Ugh please stop posting that wart.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

New motorcycle time:

Duuuude gently caress yeah!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Nitramster posted:

Ugh please stop posting that wart.

I dunno.. I kind of like it. I think there is something wrong with me.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Wow that's great! How are the tyres? If it literally sat without moving they're probably flat-spotted, unless he went to the trouble of turning them every couple of weeks (he didn't).

He did say he started it about once a month (which I believe since it started first try when he showed it) so unless he was running it inside the storage unit I would assume they were turned at least that frequently. I am most likely going to stop by the dealer and have them check it out and get the recommended break in procedure anyways so if there is an issue I should be able to spot it.

M42 posted:

Duuuude gently caress yeah!

Want to buy a WR250? I've even got an unused lowering link and lowered seat available to go with it. :D

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I would, owning a sumo's on my list... but after 2 years on a 250 I'm jonesing for something a little peppier :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

I would, owning a sumo's on my list... but after 2 years on a 250 I'm jonesing for something a little peppier :v:

How the gently caress can you have that much patience? The old license scheme here mandated riding a 250 for around two years before you could get your full; part of the reason they changed it was because a year in everyone would just ignore the rules and buy something bigger.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Because little bikes are fun to ride on the street.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Expand that to twins and you're right. I4s just ask to be beaten on. I3s are nice too but still lack low end AND top end.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

How the gently caress can you have that much patience? The old license scheme here mandated riding a 250 for around two years before you could get your full; part of the reason they changed it was because a year in everyone would just ignore the rules and buy something bigger.

I've been riding scooters for a decade. Some of us are okay going slow.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Seriously. I'm just listening to Motopod interview Mark Miller (His wiki sucks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Miller_(TT_motorcycle_racer) ) for the 100th time or whatever and he's talking about how Buell are loaning him an 1190RX since his R6 is currently out of commission. He lives in Cali canyon country. So what bike do you think he's considering to replace his R6 with? A Ninja 300. Has plans to try to get Titanium exhaust and CF bodywork and lightweight bolts and poo poo to make a super light super revvy little street bike. Sure, he gets to ride faster bikes too, but when he first choice for a personal bike was an R6 and now he's going Ninja 300 it shows you what he considers fun for the street.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

My missus has a little bike. It's fun for a little while but eventually just gets frustrating and dangerous being unable to overpower cars. Sure the gas mileage is awesome but given the choice of something small and economical or something big and powerful for the same money, I choose the latter.

BlackMK4 posted:

Expand that to twins and you're right. I4s just ask to be beaten on. I3s are nice too but still lack low end AND top end.

Small I4's beg to be beaten on because they're barely capable of forward motion if you aren't revving the tits off them. I've never ridden a 'small' triple, what bikes even exist that are like that? Unless you consider a 675 triumph small.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've been riding scooters for a decade. Some of us are okay going slow.

I'll admit, power wheelies and having things blur past as you accelerate has it's own appeal. Ultimately I guess I don't ride bikes to go slowly and save on gas.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

My missus has a little bike. It's fun for a little while but eventually just gets frustrating and dangerous being unable to overpower cars. Sure the gas mileage is awesome but given the choice of something small and economical or something big and powerful for the same money, I choose the latter.

You clearly aren't riding it correctly. If you were the gas mileage would be terrible and overtaking would only require minor forethought.

My 600 gets 45 mpg no matter what. The 250 ninjer gets 55 if you lug it everywhere and, ~35 I've learned, if it's between 9 and 12k for the entire ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Small I4's beg to be beaten on because they're barely capable of forward motion if you aren't revving the tits off them. I've never ridden a 'small' triple, what bikes even exist that are like that? Unless you consider a 675 triumph small.

Ah, here in America a 600 i4 is small / 675 is small. ;)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I've had my 250 for over 4 years, probably going on 5 or 6 years now that I think about it. I just don't care about power because I'm a poor university student. I fully expect this to change when I'm earning megabucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

You clearly aren't riding it correctly. If you were the gas mileage would be terrible and overtaking would only require minor forethought.

My 600 gets 45 mpg no matter what. The 250 ninjer gets 55 if you lug it everywhere and, ~35 I've learned, if it's between 9 and 12k for the entire ride.

The hyoshit doesn't seem to care if you give it death or ride like a nanna; there is a mileage difference but it's minor. It really is super-economical even when you're whaling on it. On the other hand my hornet gets the same crap mileage whether I'm going fast or slow, so at least it's consistent.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Odette posted:

I've had my 250 for over 4 years, probably going on 5 or 6 years now that I think about it. I just don't care about power because I'm a poor university student. I fully expect this to change when I'm earning megabucks.

ding ding ding we have a winner

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

The hyoshit doesn't seem to care if you give it death or ride like a nanna; there is a mileage difference but it's minor. It really is super-economical even when you're whaling on it. On the other hand my hornet gets the same crap mileage whether I'm going fast or slow, so at least it's consistent.

Yeah you get steady mileage when you aren't riding the complete piss out of the bike, like I said with my 600. You aren't really 'giving it death' and don't compare hyosung to kawasaki ever please thanks.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

Yeah you get steady mileage when you aren't riding the complete piss out of the bike, like I said with my 600. You aren't really 'giving it death' and don't compare hyosung to kawasaki ever please thanks.

You have no idea how glad I was that Kawasaki came out with the "new" 250 ninja just in time to prevent my ignorant self from buying a hyosung. I suspect if I'd bought one instead of the ninja I wouldn't be a motorcyclist now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Odette posted:

I've had my 250 for over 4 years, probably going on 5 or 6 years now that I think about it. I just don't care about power because I'm a poor university student.

That's an asinine argument because there are plenty of older cheap 600+ CC bikes available for the exact same price as a used ninjette. You can easily find something like a 90's Hawk or GSF600 or EX500 for under $2000.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know you're going to try to justify your hatred of small bikes and your first-bike-fz1 till the end of time but it's still pretty sad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

How would you define giving it death? When I'm riding the thing I rarely drop below 7,000rpm unless there's traffic; on the motorway it never sees less than 8k. I'm not really sure how you ride a bike any harder...? I am quite literally using all of the horsepower the engine can make the majority of the time. The difference between doing this and riding it slowly yields and improvement in gas mileage, but it's still extremely economical when thrashing. Certainly far better than 35mpg. It does have less power than a ninja though. I can get better mileage out of the hyosung (by a huuuuge margin) even when I'm riding it like a lunatic than I can even at the best of times on the 919.

darth cookie posted:

You have no idea how glad I was that Kawasaki came out with the "new" 250 ninja just in time to prevent my ignorant self from buying a hyosung. I suspect if I'd bought one instead of the ninja I wouldn't be a motorcyclist now.

They aren't bad at all. I used to feel the way you do but then I rode one and they're really pretty neat, especially if you're a tall oval office like me. The newer ones have resolved all of the retarded quality issues.

Not

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's an asinine argument because there are plenty of older cheap 600+ CC bikes available for the exact same price as a used ninjette. You can easily find something like a 90's Hawk or GSF600 or EX500 for under $2000.

Not in NZ there isn't, and that's where odette be. The new LAMS licensing rules have made everything under 650cc's insanely expensive because stuff like the GS500 and Hawk represent the pinnacle of performance for learner/restricted license holders.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have 550lbs bike with 50hp on the best of days, and it's faster than 99% of vehicles on the road already. Maybe it's because I'm an old man at 35 and worry more about the low range torque, comfort and general ease of use, that I haven't really been in a situation where having more power would have solved anything. It's a matter of opinion of course, but the discussion about MOAR POWAR in something that supposed to be transportation first and foremost, seems rather unnecessary. It irritates me, when people are throwing around general statements and telling everyone just how fast a motorcycle, or any mode of transport should be. Or where are the limits of "fast" and "slow" are. That varies from person to person and is always, without exception, only a matter of someone's opinion, often arrogantly presented as a fact. Take a ride in a proper drag car sometime, most street bikes will feel slow by comparison.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HotCanadianChick posted:

This may be true for the cost of the bike itself, but I've found, as a late 20s male with zero accidents or speeding tickets, that insurance for a 600/675 is 3-4x more expensive than what I'm paying for my SV650, which is also more than I paid for my KTM sumo.

That part of the cost of ownership was part of why I didn't buy a 600.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I have 550lbs bike with 50hp on the best of days, and it's faster than 99% of vehicles on the road already. Maybe it's because I'm an old man at 35 and worry more about the low range torque, comfort and general ease of use, that I haven't really been in a situation where having more power would have solved anything. It's a matter of opinion of course, but the discussion about MOAR POWAR in something that supposed to be transportation first and foremost, seems rather unnecessary. It irritates me, when people are throwing around general statements and telling everyone just how fast a motorcycle, or any mode of transport should be. Or where are the limits of "fast" and "slow" are. That varies from person to person and is always, without exception, only a matter of someone's opinion, often arrogantly presented as a fact. Take a ride in a proper drag car sometime, most street bikes will feel slow by comparison.

Right, well here's what I'm referring to: often I'll be doing 100-odd and someone will decide to merge into me. On a more powerful bike I can just twist the throttle and be away from a potentially dangerous situation, as well as being able to brake or swerve. On a bike that takes an age to get from 100-odd to 130 this isn't an option, I'm forced to brake and slow down. This often tends to exacerbate things because it now takes forever to get back up to speed again. I'm not saying this is what everyone should do or that small bikes are somehow inferior; time and again I've argued on this very forum that a 250 is not too slow or somehow inadequate for motorway use, it's just what I prefer.

I don't have the fastest or most powerful bike I could afford, I ride a bike that compromises between comfort, practicality, fuel consumption, running costs and performance in a way that fills my needs. More power =/= better and I don't think anyone said so.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MetaJew posted:

This may be true for the cost of the bike itself, but I've found, as a late 20s male with zero accidents or speeding tickets, that insurance for a 600/675 is 3-4x more expensive than what I'm paying for my SV650, which is also more than I paid for my KTM sumo.

That part of the cost of ownership was part of why I didn't buy a 600.

An EX500 or Hawk is nowhere near to being in the same insurance classes as a GSXR600 or R6 so I've no idea why you're talking about 600 supersport insurance. :confused:

nsaP posted:

I know you're going to try to justify your hatred of small bikes and your first-bike-fz1 till the end of time but it's still pretty sad.

I fail to see how anything in this post is remotely relevant to advising people who've been riding 250s for several years could break even flipping a ninjette for an older EX500. Like a poor marksman, you just keep missing your mark.

Slavvy posted:

Not in NZ there isn't, and that's where odette be. The new LAMS licensing rules have made everything under 650cc's insanely expensive because stuff like the GS500 and Hawk represent the pinnacle of performance for learner/restricted license holders.

This however is entirely relevant. Though I suspect, being as how he's not in the US, he's probably not nearly as 'poor' as poor students here who are drowning in debt just to get a two year degree from even the crappiest junior college. So you'll excuse me if I have too hard of a time feeling much sympathy for his 'predicament'. ;)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

This however is entirely relevant. Though I suspect, being as how he's not in the US, he's probably not nearly as 'poor' as poor students here who are drowning in debt just to get a two year degree from even the crappiest junior college. So you'll excuse me if I have too hard of a time feeling much sympathy for his 'predicament'. ;)

Hey now, I didn't exactly complain about my slow rear end piece of poo poo 250, did I? I'm grateful that I can just wring the motherfucker out and drive it like a dong and still not get a speeding ticket. :v:

Anyways, back on topic! I rode pillion on a friend's new M109R over the weekend. Holy poo poo, that thing has some serious torque.

Slavvy posted:

And the ACC levy is retarded as gently caress. Some of these 650s are a fuckload weaker than some all 600 supersports.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's extra hilarious (read: retarded) is that they promised to bring those levies down if motorcyclists improved their safety record. Injury claims from bike crashes are down 17% since that promise was made...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What's extra hilarious (read: retarded) is that they promised to bring those levies down if motorcyclists improved their safety record. Injury claims from bike crashes are down 17% since that promise was made...

Their outlandish claim that some price hikes was because ACC was making losses was total BS when their books showed that they had $1B in surplus.

Ah, politics. Never change.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Stuff I used to say (and believe) until I picked up a ktm 990. Which has been a temperamental bitch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small bikes own, now and forever, there is a reason that the only bike I'll never sell also makes 8hp.

Twisting the throttle and having the world warp by like Star Trek is fun for sure, but after the 50th time you realize it's all the same. After the inevitable ticket and insurance hike you realize it's not worth it. After driving around at 20% forever to avoid another ticket you start thinking of ways you can get back to 100% AND not get a ticket.

There is so much more to do on a smaller bike in my mind. They are the option that lets you have your cake and eat it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Truth. I think my DRZ may have ruined me for almost every other motorcycle out there.

I mean, I want an SXV 4.5 but I want it solely for the track.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Small bikes own, now and forever, there is a reason that the only bike I'll never sell also makes 8hp.

Mine makes 10 :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Or you can buy a superduke 1290 (or an adventure 1190) that magically is fun to ride at both normal pace and irresponsibly.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Big bikes own, small bikes own. I just bought a 1987 YZ80 and put a new top end on it. The wheelbase + powerband is the funniest thing ever. Also I'm going to undertake the monumentally stupid task of plating it and putting a headlight/taillight on it so I can ride it to class in the winter.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 21, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Or you can buy a superduke 1290 (or an adventure 1190) that magically is fun to ride at both normal pace and irresponsibly.

Or, even more astonishingly, it's possible to own more than one bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Or, even more astonishingly, it's possible to own more than one bike.

Naaaaaah.