Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ith posted:

Other than the occasional Paramore I have found his taste in music FAR better than most twitch streamers.

Numot plays decent music. SCGdoc does too, lots of classic rock. I'm not a fan of the techno/vgm remixes a lot of streamers use, but twitch does mute replays that use licensed music so I can understand it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I need to start streaming something just so I can kick the poo poo out of everyone else's music selection.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Andrew Cuneo has the best taste in music as far as streamers go but I think he quit streaming. I basically quit watching them, the new client is not nearly as stream friendly :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Aisar posted:

I hoped it was obvious, but I'm not expecting an about-face or an overt rescission of his current policies. I'd be happy if he took a look at the article and stopped being so scared to experiment again. I love Khans, I think it's the best set since Innistrad, and I have a lot of hope for the rest of the block because of how pleased I am, but I know at least KTK was a fairly safe play. People wanted wedges, give them wedges, hit all the appropriate notes with charms and legendary creatures and so on, and trot out morph, now featuring modern design sensibilities. I want more exploration of the potential design space like what was found in TSP.

Can every block really be Time Spiral, though? As much as it'd be nice for design space to be infinite, it really isn't. I think that they can be more experimental, and likely should, but at the same time you can't just try to be as over-the-top as TSP every block. PLC set a precedent that people keep wanting to go back to (we got MECHANIC in COLOR in Planar Chaos, why can't we do it again?), because that one time the boundary was pushed in a direction they liked, and I think the block as a whole is similar, but for complexity. That's not to say we should leave that boundary where it currently is, but more that we remember it more fondly precisely because it was so far beyond the norm. We can put man on the moon, but that doesn't mean we can support him living there (also our space program is currently underfunded but operational, to stretch the obnoxious metaphor further).

Also, I feel like you can't say they've gone full-on conservative when we had DFCs just a couple years ago.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you're not listening to blood bros every time you play, you're a free win to someone who does.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ith posted:

All those judges just staring at him shuffling and not seeing it. The dual camera angles make it really obvious though.

You should be looking away from the deck while shuttling your opponent's deck at all times. he's clearly seeing every bottom card there.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Holy poo poo, watch the way this guy is shuffling his opponent's deck at the 1:00 minute mark, he's straight up stacking it.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/c/5333218

- Riffle-shuffle the cards
- Be careful not to break up the top 8-10 cards on the top of the deck
- If the bottom card of the deck is a non-land card, flip it under the deck to put it on top.
- Repeat

End result: Opponent has to mulligan and play around mana screw both games, leading to your victory.

Beaten, but you really need to know exactly what to look for to spot it, and once you do it's obvious. He's clearly practiced this.

Hmm I was just coming to see if this video had made it to this thread. He is quite clearly cheating, and it is seen in the games he plays...mulligan down to 5 and cheap wins. I really hope this gets enough attention to warrant a review.

This is just a blatant form of cheating that went missed because he manages to do it so nonchalantly while continuing a conversation.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can every block really be Time Spiral, though? As much as it'd be nice for design space to be infinite, it really isn't. I think that they can be more experimental, and likely should, but at the same time you can't just try to be as over-the-top as TSP every block. PLC set a precedent that people keep wanting to go back to (we got MECHANIC in COLOR in Planar Chaos, why can't we do it again?), because that one time the boundary was pushed in a direction they liked, and I think the block as a whole is similar, but for complexity. That's not to say we should leave that boundary where it currently is, but more that we remember it more fondly precisely because it was so far beyond the norm. We can put man on the moon, but that doesn't mean we can support him living there (also our space program is currently underfunded but operational, to stretch the obnoxious metaphor further).

Also, I feel like you can't say they've gone full-on conservative when we had DFCs just a couple years ago.

Whatever man, DFCs are just flip cards.

Also I think FUT is a much better example than PLC of a great set from that block. While it had its own gimmick the idea that it did away with trying to satisfy saturation of any particular mechanic is really neat and I think sets and blocks get too attached to making a particular keyword mechanic work when it's obvious only one card with that keyword mechanic is going to see the light of constructed play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paul Cheon has the best stream music choice, no music at all.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PleasantDirge posted:

But what the hell is up with his music selection??? Numot is by far a better drafter than me but his playlist makes it hard to watch his streams sometimes.

Don't ever watch Cedric Phillips then. Kesha, Pit Bull, N Sync...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

kingcobweb posted:

I need to start streaming something just so I can kick the poo poo out of everyone else's music selection.

Failing that you can stream in spirit by including more music analogies in future Magic writing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

Don't ever watch Cedric Phillips then. Kesha, Pit Bull, N Sync...

Sounds like a sick stream.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

TheTofuShop posted:

Yeah, just was coming in here to post this same thing. God its harrowing to watch once you see what's happening. All on camera

I've only been playing the game for few months and that turns my stomach. Is that guy going to be banned for life, or near enough?

In this day and age of streaming where people watch things like a hawk they're never going to get away with it. Cheaters must be both desperate and incredibly dull to risk it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Harmonica posted:

I've only been playing the game for few months and that turns my stomach. Is that guy going to be banned for life, or near enough?

In this day and age of streaming where people watch things like a hawk they're never going to get away with it. Cheaters must be both desperate and incredibly dull to risk it.

The worst cheaters only get 18 months it seems for first time bans.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
There are so many avenues for cheating in this game due to its complexity and the amount of physical interaction you have with both your and your opponent's decks. I feel like Wizards has to come down extremely hard on this kind of thing, even for first time offenders. I don't think anything less than a lifetime ban from tournament play is appropriate.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
MTG doesn't need to be that more strict than the NFL.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

15 yard penalty, you have to play your match three tables away from your opponent.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kingcobweb posted:

15 yard penalty, you have to play your match three tables away from your opponent.

While wearing 5 dollar clogs with no socks on.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I was thinking Bill Belicheck style and take away his first round draft pick.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

kingcobweb posted:

Finally, something that'll give combo a fighting chance.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Trevor's a regular at my store. He very rarely plays in my tournaments, because most of what I run is draft; we have another judge who runs the Standard events. I'm sure it's going to be all people are talking about for weeks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just here with a big ol' :smugdog: toldya so reminder that post I wrote this summer happens to outline this cheat and how to catch it. At the very top of my list. Twice.

quote:

Shuffling:
- Is the player glancing at the bottom of the deck? Where are they looking?
- Do the mash shuffles fan the cards wide? Again, where are they looking?

Harmonica posted:

I've only been playing the game for few months and that turns my stomach. Is that guy going to be banned for life, or near enough

Sometimes, they are dull, but the important times cheaters are the 2nd most clever class of players in the game (aside from actual pros). The risk/reward is usually well worth it for them. A couple thousand vs a slap on the wrist from a bunch of pushover nerds?

This hopefully doesn't turn you off from the game, I mean consider the thousands of video hours of legit MtG comparatively. It's just something to be mindful of.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
If he really is fixing his opponents' decks, then I wouldn't miss him at all and I think the game is better off if he's never allowed to play it in a competitive setting again. Bertoncini did his time, and even if he's never cheated since, the results of tourneys where he puts up a solid showing are called into question. That's bad for the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If they take head injuries and PEDs out of MTG I quit right this loving minute.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yo check this update:

quote:

We have reviewed the footage of Mr. Humphries and concluded that there is enough evidence that we have submitted an investigation to the Judge Program. We have contacted Mr. Humphries to notify him of this and to request a statement for inclusion in the investigation.
This also activates our Prize Hold policy for players under investigation meaning that Mr. Humphries' prizes will be held, pending the completion of this investigation. If the investigation results in a suspension, his prizes will be donated to charity.
Jared Sylva StarCityGames.com Organized Play Manager

C'mon let's just let the guys in charge handle this because it's looking pretty good for now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That looks good but shaming them into not playing at your store anymore is also good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The nfl shouldn't be a measuring stick for player disciplinary actions.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

Trevor's a regular at my store. He very rarely plays in my tournaments, because most of what I run is draft; we have another judge who runs the Standard events. I'm sure it's going to be all people are talking about for weeks.

Might be time to judge a standard.

And then shame him.

Zoness posted:

Yo check this update:

C'mon let's just let the guys in charge handle this because it's looking pretty good for now.

You got a link to that?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
It seems like these things are way more likely to happen at SCG events rather than big GPs. I wonder if that is because SCG attracts more "grinder" types?

Also the judges seem way more relaxed at SCG. They will chat with a player midmatch at the feature table.

Ith fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 20, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Have you or the other judge ever witnessed any suspicious shuffling before?

Count Bleck posted:

You got a link to that?
From the reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

Yo check this update:

Good to see them doing something about it. Hopefully the guy he beat will end up getting his prize money and points.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

There was a post in that reddit thread from someone who says he plays at your store that says that he is already known for this. Does that hold any water?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Good to see them doing something about it. Hopefully the guy he beat will end up getting his prize money and points.

C'mon let's do a little bit of reading...

quote:

This also activates our Prize Hold policy for players under investigation meaning that Mr. Humphries' prizes will be held, pending the completion of this investigation. If the investigation results in a suspension, his prizes will be donated to charity.

They can't (or don't) just give the prize money to the next person since the entire tournament's results are like, in question if they just do that and it probably introduces other problems with prize if they just re-reward it.

I'm not sure I understand the policy entirely but I feel like there's a good reason they can't just split the reward among other players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

C'mon let's do a little bit of reading...

They can't (or don't) just give the prize money to the next person since the entire tournament's results are like, in question if they just do that and it probably introduces other problems with prize if they just re-reward it.

They could still give him a match loss.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

vv I'm not asking what you're supposed to do I'm asking whether you actually would do it.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

Yes, anytime something seems fishy, or you realize a mistake was made, even if it's you, call a judge. It's very simple.

e: Sorry, I thought it was clear, personally, yes, I call the judge on myself.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 20, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

vv I'm not asking what you're supposed to do I'm asking whether you actually would do it.

I have done this and called a judge on myself when I failed to notice that I was playing with only 56 cards. The judge said that at casual REL there's really no way to issue a game loss, so I just conceded the match.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I won the final match of my first Regionals ever with two CoP: Reds in my hand in a U/W Control mirror. No regrets.

(I wouldn't do it again. The guy I was playing was a huge dick from a local store and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.)

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 20, 2014

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Unintentional events like that don't really bare any comparison to intentional cheating, though. And if your point is, 'when you realise you did something wrong, do you own up?' you probably do, because at worst even if you get disqualified or whatever punishment, few people are going to be all 'gently caress that guy who made a mistake and then admitted it when he didn't need to!'

AnacondaHL posted:

the important times cheaters are the 2nd most clever class of players in the game (aside from actual pros). The risk/reward is usually well worth it for them. A couple thousand vs a slap on the wrist from a bunch of pushover nerds?

This hopefully doesn't turn you off from the game, I mean consider the thousands of video hours of legit MtG comparatively. It's just something to be mindful of.

People say this, but it's not really true. If all they care about is the cash, and they were actually clever, they'd have found legal ways to make many times more money. They're ultimately just unimaginative and apparently not punished enough right now.

And no - nothing like this would ever turn me off from the game itself. Luckily I won't ever be playing against 'competitors' like them.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow I didn't realize he also won the Modern IQ on Sunday. The pile of evidence in the reddit thread is pretty damning.

I should probably be more careful of noticing things like this in the future, though I doubt anyone would put this much effort into winning an FNM.

• Locked thread