Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

My best friend teaches English in Florida and a lot of the kids write about Hitler every chance they get.

Also https://vine.co/v/OqQnI3hheDH college football rules

I have a story that includes elements of offensive costumes and school projects about Hitler. When I was in the fourth grade, my class had a project where we were to make a big tri-fold poster about a historical figure of our choosing to accompany an essay we wrote about said historical figure. Then, we were to dress up as that historical figure and do some kind of pose in front of our posters while other classes were paraded around to look at us. I imagined myself a World War II buff, and I thought Hitler was just an incredibly fascinating subject, so I chose him. My teacher somehow allowed me to do this but requested that for my pose I don't do a nazi salute. I think in my essay I made it pretty clear that Hitler was a horrible person, but there's only so much that a 10-year-old can convey in poster form, so to all the kids that came through our class, right between JFK and Lance Armstrong, there was a kid Hitler.

Later in a different class at that same school we were to write a first-person speech as a biography of a famous person and give that speech in front of the class dressed as that person. I chose Stephen Hawking, recorded my speech in a tape recorder, and played it while I sat in a chair, miming him typing on his console thing.

God what the gently caress was wrong with me, why did my teachers let me do this, why did my parents help me with these costumes, I swear I'm normal. :ohdear:

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Pakled posted:

Later in a different class at that same school we were to make write a first-person speech as a biography of a famous person and give a speech in front of the class dressed as that person. I chose Stephen Hawking, recorded my speech in a tape recorder, and played it while I sat in a chair, miming him typing on his console thing.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHHA

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If you had done that specifically for the laugh it'd be the best thing ever.

Even sincerely, it's still kind of the best thing ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

Later in a different class at that same school we were to make write a first-person speech as a biography of a famous person and give a speech in front of the class dressed as that person. I chose Stephen Hawking, recorded my speech in a tape recorder, and played it while I sat in a chair, miming him typing on his console thing.

Its like something Gene from Bob's Burgers would do, except in real life

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Its like something Gene from Bob's Burgers would do, except in real life

I remember specifically thinking at the part where I talked about his divorce "right here, all the girls in class are going to go 'awww' so I should leave a pause for that" and I did.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thoguh posted:

Do the Gopher everybody

If Gendo were here, he'd replace that gopher with a bunch of football players stomping a black man.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

God what the gently caress was wrong with me, why did my teachers let me do this, why did my parents help me with these costumes, I swear I'm normal. :ohdear:

All the adults in your life were correct in letting you do these things.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's of course dumb to deny the talent and recent dominance of the conference but I like the notion that there's a few small cracks in the dam and enough people are trolling the more retarded fans that SEC Conference Pride just erupts from the most insecure and angriest of places at times.

When the conference really takes a big downswing in the coming years it's gonna be great seeing the wheels come off some people.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Crotch Bat posted:

It's of course dumb to deny the talent and recent dominance of the conference but I like the notion that there's a few small cracks in the dam and enough people are trolling the more retarded fans that SEC Conference Pride just erupts from the most insecure and angriest of places at times.

When the conference really takes a big downswing in the coming years it's gonna be great seeing the wheels come off some people.

Not with espn propping them up ~fart~

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Seems that Foley will almost certainly let Muschamp coach out the season. With a recruiting class ranked in the 30s and 40s, I wonder what kind of effect this will have long-term.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Defeatist ridiculousness.

You are a bad fan. Embrace the suck.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 21, 2014

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Scionix posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHHA

Also... dying of laughter. I came here for football damnit! X's and .. ah gently caress it. So this is how Foley feels eh
I came in screaming of laughter, i'll go out screaming

on a sidenote.. suck it ND

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Dilber posted:

Miami fans are flying a Banner at VT to fire Golden.

Literally banners at away games.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha I wonder if Lane will take up a "Fire Golden" chant.

Either way, I'll be taking pictures so expect to see one here on Friday.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The VT fans should do a Keep Al Golden chant in Lane instead, would be almost as good as watching Miami lose in the first place.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

you guys with your good schools and learning things.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
OK State really is the true sleeper of the Big XII this year...

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ling-asleep-car

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There was a Theodor Adorno discussion in the NBA thread the other day. Never underestimate goons' abilites to wield their liberal arts degrees.

Pakled posted:

Later in a different class at that same school we were to write a first-person speech as a biography of a famous person and give that speech in front of the class dressed as that person. I chose Stephen Hawking, recorded my speech in a tape recorder, and played it while I sat in a chair, miming him typing on his console thing.

I had a kid pull something similar in Algebra 2. We had to write a paper on a mathematician and then give a presentation, and he chose Hawking. He came in in a wheelchair dressed as him and just had his laptop read the paper on whatever the Mac equivalent of Microsoft Sam is, while he just sat there attempting to look like he had ALS.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Meltdown time!

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/10/21/7014903/nsfw-its-meltdown-time-week-eight

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Stoops ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don't need no timeouts ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

this isn't gonna happen though

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

pretty much. Any big coaching shake-ups, SEC schools can nab hot names fairly easily thanks to resources. The bar for their support stuff, like locker rooms, technology, lounging areas, etc., is uniformly very high, and is absurd for Alabama. SEC SEC SEC is actually a thing with recruits. You have to have several programs be impressively mismanaged a la Florida to knock them off the top conference slot.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Yeah and the worst programs (except Vandy) are getting better. So when Florida or somebody is down it's just going to give the Kentuckys of the conference better recruits.

Look at how much even the terrible SEC teams have: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

You are a bad fan. Embrace the suck.

If it was a fun losing team like during the Grossman years where he would just say gently caress It and throw it deep (or when the field is so soaked its like a slip and slide like it was during one of the FSU games? I forget.) I'd still be watching. Watching Driskell is like watching paint dry with the decent chance of a fumble. Gotta have some highs to balance out the lows. Heck, I watched every Zooker game.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Raku posted:

Yeah and the worst programs (except Vandy) are getting better. So when Florida or somebody is down it's just going to give the Kentuckys of the conference better recruits.

I always wonder how much of South Carolina being good is due to Tennessee (and to a lesser extent Florida) being down.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Listening to Dabo's weekly presser and a reporter asked about Deshaun's rehab so far.

"It's going well, he was actually throwing a ball around the other day. I didn't realize he was ambidextrous... He was whipping it around left-handed."

:stare:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

If it was a fun losing team like during the Grossman years where he would just say gently caress It and throw it deep (or when the field is so soaked its like a slip and slide like it was during one of the FSU games? I forget.) I'd still be watching. Watching Driskell is like watching paint dry with the decent chance of a fumble. Gotta have some highs to balance out the lows. Heck, I watched every Zooker game.

A tough existence right here.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pillsburysoldier posted:

pretty much. Any big coaching shake-ups, SEC schools can nab hot names fairly easily thanks to resources. The bar for their support stuff, like locker rooms, technology, lounging areas, etc., is uniformly very high, and is absurd for Alabama. SEC SEC SEC is actually a thing with recruits. You have to have several programs be impressively mismanaged a la Florida to knock them off the top conference slot.

It doesn't take the whole conference taking a nose dive though. There's no reason a resurgent group of the top schools from other conferences (i.e. Florida State, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Stanford, Oregon, etc...) couldn't knock the SEC off it's perch. It is generally just a rotating group of 2 or so schools carrying the banner for the SEC so a couple playoff losses would really be all it took to kill the SEC superiority thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thoguh posted:

It doesn't take the whole conference taking a nose dive though. There's no reason a resurgent group of the top schools from other conferences (i.e. Florida State, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Stanford, Oregon, etc...) couldn't knock the SEC off it's perch. It is generally just a rotating group of 2 or so schools carrying the banner for the SEC so a couple playoff losses would really be all it took to kill the SEC superiority thing.

Apart from the biggest sports network having a financial reason to support that narrative.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

No, it's not. The culture of their geographical footprint means that for the foreseeable future those teams will have tons of top talent and tons of ultra-passionate fans. They are almost certainly the strongest conference in terms of average team strength. That said I still think the hype is almost indescribably overblown, and it makes me long for a system where everything is won and lost on the field, NFL style. I know this will never happen, but I wish the only thing decided by voters or a committee was which 8 conferences get to send their champions to the playoff. If the SEC won every year, good for them, they could have bragging rights and none of us would have much to complain about.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 21, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I always wonder how much of South Carolina being good is due to Tennessee (and to a lesser extent Florida) being down.

One reason Tennessee is down is that they can't just waltz into South Carolina and cherry pick all the top recruits out of there anymore. Our ability to finally protect the borders and collect high-caliber in-state talent has (obviously) paid huge dividends for us and contributed to Tennessee's recent struggles. Butch Jones has started putting together some really nice classes for them, but as of right now, the days of Tennessee raiding SC for whoever they want are over.

It kind of drives me crazy when people try to discredit a team's success because "oh, the traditional powers are down" or "oh, the division is really bad." College football is cyclical, and unless a program is some kind of absurd dynasty like Alabama, there's going to be a lot of variation from year to year. It still requires a good team to take advantage of favorable circumstances.

Now, if one were to argue that we've underachieved despite 11-win seasons because we never made it to Atlanta during that stretch, that's a pretty drat good argument.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

That Works posted:

Apart from the biggest sports network having a financial reason to support that narrative.

-- "...tired from beating each other up."
-- (if non-SEC team beats good SEC team) "[Another good SEC team] would've won this game handily."
-- "Alabama isn't going to get up for a non-championship post-season game."

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Raku posted:

Meltdown time!

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/10/21/7014903/nsfw-its-meltdown-time-week-eight

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Stoops ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don't need no timeouts ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Lane Kiffin is owning our guys.....just let that sink in,"

Lane. :allears:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Uhhhhhhhhhhh......we won a lot with Grossman. A LOT. 2001 might've been Spurriers best team.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

-- "...tired from beating each other up."
-- (if non-SEC team beats good SEC team) "[Another good SEC team] would've won this game handily."
-- "Alabama isn't going to get up for a non-championship post-season game."

Careful, friend, your team is approaching narrative dominance too!

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Raku posted:

Look at how much even the terrible SEC teams have: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

It's about to get more skewed than that. Some numbers I saw earlier in the year showed that we are going to jump about 30 spots once the SEC Network money comes in.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
How the gently caress is Wisconsin making so much money?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
ugh those expense and subsidy figures, pretty gross use of money at many schools

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Emron posted:

Careful, friend, your team is approaching narrative dominance too!

Nah we're rape enablers that all go to a school named Jameis State.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ESPN does not drive the narrative you big babies, the product on the field does.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Thoguh posted:

I think what is actually a real thing is there are just more elite speed guys and DL in Georgia and those Gulf Coast states, but if FSU or Notre Dame or whoever can stack their roster with a large share of those guys then lack of SEC brand won't stop them from winning.

What would be a real game changer is if teams with recruiting bases in the Midwest and West Coast started dominating for a while.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
A UK fan made a video and popped up on a State board with this message

Crazed UK Fan posted:

Biggest UK Fan Says UK Will Beat MSU! No CFB Playoff!!
i just wanna all you punks know that MSU will no Longer be Number 1 After Saturday Cause UK Will shock the Nation and THats the Bottom Line Cause Stone Cold Said so!! Im Letting you know right Now! and if you Cocky People from Hail State got something to Say then you can Trash Talk Me about how you Feel so Here is my Twitter Account name@StoneColdWillow and you can express it! cause the Big Blue Nation will Win this Game on CBS!!! #WHYNOYKENTUCKY #BBN #WEAREUK Meanwhile enjoy this video cause i fired shots at Hail State!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LnPT1J49wg

It's a pro click. He is the RutgersAl of Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh......we won a lot with Grossman. A LOT. 2001 might've been Spurriers best team.

Apparently the year of Grossman I remember most is the Zook.

• Locked thread